Jump to content
Inigo Montoya

Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

Recommended Posts

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

 

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

 

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

 

McCarron career 66.9%

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe that’s the plan. McCarron starts regardless if they draft a QB. I would rather try to build something around him, and if it doesn’t work out we get a higher pick for next year’s crop of QBs. I say get Ridley. He, Benjamin and Jones wouldn’t be a bad combo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They call it "the process" for a reason. I highly doubt McCarron was part of the thinking behind "the process". Plus Beane had no intention of even signing AJ until the night before he actually signed him. Beane admitted that he contacted Hue Jackson and previous coaches the night before McCarrin put ink to paper. If they really thought highly of him, McBeane would have done their homework prior to the night before.

Edited by Bills4life1924
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're going to...it would also be a folly of the highest order to not draft another potential franchise QB 

 

You need irons in the fire

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if “the process” involves giving up an entire draft to grab a QB on a team with an inadequate WR and LB corps, and a questionable O line.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sky Diver said:

Franchise QBs can be had in later rounds. They don’t have to trade up.

  I'm in for giving McCarron a legit chance to start and grabbing White in Round 2.  Hopefully, after we have grabbed Price assuming the prognosis is he is available early in the fall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll get his chance but that won't preclude Beane/McD from going after a potential franchise QB if one is to be had.  They just need to stick to their board and valuations and trust their own process.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've tried with these type of QB's before (of varying playing styles) over the years that cost us to pass on current franchise QB's in the 1st round.  Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Tyrod Taylor weren't drafted in the first two rounds and we ended up wasting seven or so years of them as starter thinking they were our guy.  Even Brian Brohm was being hyped up at least on BBMB.

 

It would be a pleasant surprise if he turned into the next Kurt Cousins, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are. We’re giving him a legit chance to battle against a rookie (no matter who that ends up being) to be the starter for our nfl franchise. 

 

It doesnt get any any more honest than that. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

I don’t know if “the process” involves giving up an entire draft to grab a QB on a team with an inadequate WR and LB corps, and a questionable O line.

I agree, I don't see them moving to top 5 and mortgaging a lot of picks. But every year a player slides. There are 4 top qb's and I doubt all 4 go in top 5 picks. I feel we will trade up inbetween 6-10 to get 1 of the qb's that slide. We would still have some nice picks for top tier prospects

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They're going to...it would also be a folly of the highest order to not draft another potential franchise QB 

 

You need irons in the fire

 

Just now, Rc2catch said:

AJ will have every chance to be a star. What he does with it is up to him. 

He will have every chance to be a decent QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCarron has had four years to challenge Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, and there has never been talk of a real competition. A fifth round draft pick-- with obvious limitations who will never be mistaken for a franchise guy (or even a true starter).

If McCarron starts, it will either be because the rookie needs time, or the Bills were unable to get the guy they want.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

They call it "the process" for a reason. I highly doubt McCarron was part of the thinking behind "the process". Plus Beane had no intention of even signing AJ until the night before he actually signed him. Beane admitted that he contacted Hue Jackson and previous coaches the night before McCarrin put ink to paper. If they really thought highly of him, McBeane would have done their homework prior to the night before.

 

Well, I went to find the quotes (pasted below) because I thought you must have had it wrong. But I think you have maybe caught Beane on something.

 

Doing homework and being slow and methodical doesn't go along very well with saying he talked to guys a day or two before he signed him.

 

To me that sounds terrible.  I hope there is more to the story. Anyway good job spotting that Bills.

 

 

"We did our homework on all these guys, we looked at a lot of different areas, we took it slow,” Beane said. “I know everyone was jumping on guys quick, but I went with the more methodical, let’s make the right decision (approach) and not get into chase mode.”

 

Beane said he spoke to Browns coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday night about McCarron, whom he had coached while serving as offensive coordinator in Cincinnati. Remember, Jackson wanted the Browns to acquire McCarron at the trading deadline in October and would have had him if not for an “only-the-Browns” type of clerical error. Beane also texted with two other coaches who’d worked with McCarron to get a feel for who he is."

 

"I actually spoke to Hue Jackson the night before we signed [McCarron], texted with two other coaches of his that I know,'' Bills general manager Brandon Beane said in a Friday press conference, according to Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "And the one word they told me about AJ that got me fired up was 'competitor' and I love that."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

AJ will have every chance to be a star. What he does with it is up to him. 

 

He’s a super competitive guy who is used to winning.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

We've tried with these type of QB's before (of varying playing styles) over the years that cost us to pass on current franchise QB's in the 1st round.  Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Tyrod Taylor weren't drafted in the first two rounds and we ended up wasting seven or so years of them as starter thinking they were our guy.  Even Brian Brohm was being hyped up at least on BBMB.

 

It would be a pleasant surprise if he turned into the next Kurt Cousins, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

 

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

 

He’s a super competitive guy who is used to winning.

 

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

Would you say there's a better chance of acquiring a franchise QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft or trading for a later round NFL backup that's looked good in limited game action?

Edited by Doc Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

When was the last time we gave up a 1st round pick for a QB???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

 

He’s a super competitive guy who is used to winning.

 

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

 

The Bills have never don that for a QB at the top of the draft.  You have just a bit of Bama bias in your posts. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bills4life1924 said:

When was the last time we gave up a 1st round pick for a QB???

Bledsoe.  Before that Rob Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×