Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

MLB is nothing w/o DTs to keep him clean and Carolina would be trash without Newton. 

My question would be what is easier to draft? A space eating DT or a MLB that can drop into coverage, fill running lanes and pressure the QB.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

16 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm sure they did their homework well in advance. The messages to Hue Jackson and McCarron's former coaches came at the last minute because Beane didn't want to tip his hand to other teams. He did the research with no other teams knowing his plan, and then made a last minute check of other coaches just to see if there was a glaring reason not to pull the trigger on the deal.

"Not chess, Spock - poker." James T. Kirk

One of my most favorite Star Trek quotes ever.  Just like Spock's response to Bailey about his adrenaline gland.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My question would be what is easier to draft? A space eating DT or a MLB that can drop into coverage, fill runnng lanes and pressure the QB.

I know it was rhetorical, but, I will answer in a landslide..space eating DT is easier to acquire than the all purpose, talent, 3 down MLB.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, I went to find the quotes (pasted below) because I thought you must have had it wrong. But I think you have maybe caught Beane on something.

Doing homework and being slow and methodical doesn't go along very well with saying he talked to guys a day or two before he signed him.

To me that sounds terrible.  I hope there is more to the story. Anyway good job spotting that Bills.

"We did our homework on all these guys, we looked at a lot of different areas, we took it slow,” Beane said. “I know everyone was jumping on guys quick, but I went with the more methodical, let’s make the right decision (approach) and not get into chase mode.”

Beane said he spoke to Browns coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday night about McCarron, whom he had coached while serving as offensive coordinator in Cincinnati. Remember, Jackson wanted the Browns to acquire McCarron at the trading deadline in October and would have had him if not for an “only-the-Browns” type of clerical error. Beane also texted with two other coaches who’d worked with McCarron to get a feel for who he is."

"I actually spoke to Hue Jackson the night before we signed [McCarron], texted with two other coaches of his that I know,'' Bills general manager Brandon Beane said in a Friday press conference, according to Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "And the one word they told me about AJ that got me fired up was 'competitor' and I love that."

It looks like he called the night before to make sure. The final check, so to speak. Of course, this is just IMHO.

Go BILLS!

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We are talking Cleveland, lol. They aren’t known for making great personnel decisions.

That whole situation was a disaster. I feel pretty strongly that they pulled the plug on it. They couldn’t trade more for McCarron than SF for Jimmy G. 

Tyrod makes a lot lot of sense for them. They need to win some games and now. They will be much better this year. They may not be great but will take steps.

6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My question would be what is easier to draft? A space eating DT or a MLB that can drop into coverage, fill runnng lanes and pressure the QB.

Neither is overly difficult to find, but success of a MLB is predicated on having good DTs.

28 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I think there’s going to be an awfully lot of disappointed fans when we stay with our #12 pick.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm ok with it.  I'm not a GM tho, so what do I know.  I'm just a fan of 30 years (I know that's nothing compared to some long time fans on here).

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it? They could have had AJ for roughly $5M a year and kept pick 65. They are paying Tyrod $16M and gave pick 65. I know that they tried to trade for AJ but they had the common sense to pull the plug.

First I have to ask.   When was the last time the Browns made the right move at QB?

If they wanted AJ last season they should have gone for it and found a way to get it done.  They failed.  

Saying AJ won’t be any good is disingenuous.   

Agree or disagree?  

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

But you want to give up the draft board for Darnold or Rosen?

Yes, because I believe their long term potential is better than Dak’s. They might turn out to be busts, but they have all the tools. A team who hasn’t had a legit QB since Kelly should be willing to give up a lot for those guys. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

24 minutes ago, Manther said:

Or maybe it just happened that Cleveland was the only team that would trade an asset for TT and we were luckily able to double down?

^ This. Who, other than the Browns, would trade a 3rd round pick for TT? I was thinking a 5th would be lucky, but most teams would just wait for him to be cut, and if they missed out, no big deal.

We got really lucky on that one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Yes, because I believe in their long term potential better than Dak’s. They might turn out to be busts, but they have all the tools. A team who hasn’t had a legit QB since Kelly should be willing to give up a lot for those guys. 

Readily conceding that they "might turn out to be busts" is hardly encouraging and a poor opener for a sales pitch to someone you want to trade the farm for.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Merriam-Webster defines pedestrian as commonplace which could be considered a synonym to average. 

Sweet, thanks, I learned something!!  I thought Pedestrian meant below average.......nice, I just won Sunday!

EDIT: I we all no how hard it is to win a Sunday!  

PS.  Winning is hard in the NFL

Edited by Manther

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

^ This. Who, other than the Browns, would trade a 3rd round pick for TT? I was thinking a 5th would be lucky, but most teams would just wait for him to be cut, and if they missed out, no big deal.

IIRC, the Cardinals offered a 4th and there may have been one other team that made an offer. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Readily conceding that they "might turn out to be busts" is hardly encouraging and a poor opener for a sales pitch to someone you want to trade the farm for.

You can’t guarantee anything in football or

life. That should go without saying. Just because something could fail, doesn’t mean you don’t give it a try. If that’s how we all lived our lives, we’d be doing nothing. That’s why this team has been stuck in mediocrity for almost two decades. The Buffalo Bills are a nationally irrelevant football team. What is there to be afraid of by selling the farm? Is it losing our illustrious .500 record? 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I also though at 5th would be lucky and a 7th would be possible (50 fifty).

A 3rd was MAGIC!

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

IIRC, the Cardinals offered a 4th and there may have been one other team that made an offer. 

What is IIRC?  Where did you hear that?  

1 minute ago, Manther said:

I also though at 5th would be lucky and a 7th would be possible (50 fifty).

A 3rd was MAGIC!

What is IIRC?  Where did you hear that?  

IIRC is If I recall correctly.  I can't remember where, but ARZ and another team made offers. 

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

First I have to ask.   When was the last time the Browns made the right move at QB?

If they wanted AJ last season they should have gone for it and found a way to get it done.  They failed.  

Saying AJ won’t be any good is disingenuous.   

Agree or disagree?  

Who said AJ won’t be good? He looks to be a guy with some upside and is at least an okay player. It was a smart move for the Bills. They got him for a fraction of the price others paid for bridge QBs.

I responded to a post saying that they chose Tyrod over him was disingenuous. It is tough to make that case. They had options. 

The Browns rarely do anything right. Tyrod makes a ton of sense for them. He’s going to win at least 6 games. They are 1-31 the last 2 years. They didn’t need another guy that is a mystery. They needed someone with a resume. 

They made a deal for McCarron but “didn’t send in the paperwork” in time. I think that someone put a stop to it and that was the convenient excuse.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:
hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McCarron was just an okay QB with CIn in 2015 when he surrounded by excellent talent with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert.  He's a game manager at the NFL level and that's exactly why he was left standing when all of the QB chairs were filled except for the Bills.   I think he'll be decent, but we should all want more than that. 

Who said it???   That guy   ^. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who said AJ won’t be good? He looks to be a guy with some upside and is at least an okay player. It was a smart move for the Bills. They got him for a fraction of the price others paid for bridge QBs.

I responded to a post saying that they chose Tyrod over him was disingenuous. It is tough to make that case. They had options. 

The Browns rarely do anything right. Tyrod makes a ton of sense for them. He’s going to win at least 6 games. They are 1-31 the last 2 years. They didn’t need another guy that is a mystery. They needed someone with a resume. 

They made a deal for McCarron but “didn’t send in the paperwork” in time. I think that someone but a stop to it and that was the convenient excuse.

I wasn’t accusing you.    

42 minutes ago, Perk71 said:

It looks like he called the night before to make sure. The final check, so to speak. Of course, this is just IMHO.

Go BILLS!

That is what I am hoping. But I am , well, whacked out lately. And obsessed. The Bills offs season has always been an empty void pretty much. A winter desert. This year it's eventful and stressy.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 first round picks, 1 second, 1 third, 2 fourth, 2 fifth and 1 seventh. That is what we have spent on QBs starting with Rob Johnson. Did it hurt less spreading that investment out? Of course not it just spread the mediocre QB play over 20 years. Investing a bunch now to get an elite prospect may not work out but it is still better than dying by inches like we have for 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

When was the last time we gave up a 1st round pick for a QB???

Drew Bledsoe and he was a freaking Dinosaur when we did it?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes.  Look at my avatar.  Fricken trade up. There's three great QB prospects in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield imo. I'm sick of being in a constant state of mediocrity because we can't find our franchise QB.  Picking 1st round QB's outside the top 10 hasn't worked.  Trading for promising backups hasn't worked.

Kelly  wasn’t in the top ten?

7 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

For those on the ledge stating that we need to move up from 12, here’s some evidence of why it’s a valid that AJ might be the answer OR a pick at 12 or beyond.  Look at the current NFL QB’s and where they were drafted (apologize for any errors):

Top Ten Pick

E Manning(1)

M Stafford(1)

A Smith(1)

J Goff(1)

C Wentz(2)

J Winston(1)

C Palmer(1)

C Newton(1)

Picked Outside the Top Ten

B Roethlisbeger(11)

D Watson(12)

P Rivers(17)

R Wilson(18)

J Flacco(18)

A Rogers(22)

D Brees(32)

A Dalton(35)

D Carr(36)

D Kizer(52)

K Cousins(102)

M Ryan(120)

D Prescott(135)

T Brady(171)

C Keenum(UFA)

Pretty impressive list of QB’s outside the top ten. All I’m sayin’ brothers is step away from the ledge.  Don’t sell the zuba’s And throw in the towel. There’s a valid argument that we are better off picking outside the top 10.  Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethlisberger.....maybe the next one is ours or maybe he’s already on our roster!

It’s all about odds. Get an elite quality prospect and you have 80% odds of getting a long term starter. If you settle for a more flawed prospect then those odds drop fast. 

11 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

For those on the ledge stating that we need to move up from 12, here’s some evidence of why it’s a valid that AJ might be the answer OR a pick at 12 or beyond.  Look at the current NFL QB’s and where they were drafted (apologize for any errors):

Top Ten Pick

E Manning(1)

M Stafford(1)

A Smith(1)

J Goff(1)

C Wentz(2)

J Winston(1)

C Palmer(1)

C Newton(1)

B Roethlisbeger(11)

D Watson(12)

P Rivers(17)

R Wilson(18)

J Flacco(18)

A Rogers(22)

D Brees(32)

A Dalton(35)

D Carr(36)

D Kizer(52)

K Cousins(102)

M Ryan(120)

D Prescott(135)

T Brady(171)

C Keenum(UFA)

Pretty impressive list of QB’s outside the top ten. All I’m sayin’ brothers is step away from the ledge.  Don’t sell the zuba’s And throw in the towel. There’s a valid argument that we are better off picking outside the top 10.  Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethlisberger.....maybe the next one is ours or maybe he’s already on our roster!

If M Ryan stands for Matt Ryan he was the 3rd pick in the 2008 NFL draft.

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, I went to find the quotes (pasted below) because I thought you must have had it wrong. But I think you have maybe caught Beane on something.

Doing homework and being slow and methodical doesn't go along very well with saying he talked to guys a day or two before he signed him.

To me that sounds terrible.  I hope there is more to the story. Anyway good job spotting that Bills.

"We did our homework on all these guys, we looked at a lot of different areas, we took it slow,” Beane said. “I know everyone was jumping on guys quick, but I went with the more methodical, let’s make the right decision (approach) and not get into chase mode.”

Beane said he spoke to Browns coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday night about McCarron, whom he had coached while serving as offensive coordinator in Cincinnati. Remember, Jackson wanted the Browns to acquire McCarron at the trading deadline in October and would have had him if not for an “only-the-Browns” type of clerical error. Beane also texted with two other coaches who’d worked with McCarron to get a feel for who he is."

"I actually spoke to Hue Jackson the night before we signed [McCarron], texted with two other coaches of his that I know,'' Bills general manager Brandon Beane said in a Friday press conference, according to Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "And the one word they told me about AJ that got me fired up was 'competitor' and I love that."

You forgot to mention the fact of the Browns had in writing they were going to pay a 2nd and a 3rd in exchange for McCarron's contract.

13 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Top Ten Pick

E Manning(1)

M Stafford(1)

A Smith(1)

J Goff(1)

C Wentz(2)

J Winston(1)

C Palmer(1)

C Newton(1)

B Roethlisbeger(11)

D Watson(12)

P Rivers(17)

R Wilson(18)

J Flacco(18)

A Rogers(22)

D Brees(32)

A Dalton(35)

D Carr(36)

D Kizer(52)

K Cousins(102)

M Ryan(120)

D Prescott(135)

T Brady(171)

C Keenum(UFA)

Mahomes was top 10, so was Mariota, Matt Ryan as well. Russell Wilson wasn’t pick 18 either.

• Like (+1) 1

McCarron has played his position well in college and the small sample we seen with Cinci.... He has played with a lot of good players but did his job, that’s all we need him to do. He’s not here to move mountains,  just to do his part. This team can go a long way with a QB who can make simple reads, some easy throws and who’ll will give the WRs a few opportunities to make plays.... A 4th quarter drive or two per season would help also. This D and MCCoy can carry us again this season.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The most important pieces on McDermott's defenses are on the DL and those pieces will lead to nowhere witout a franchise QB. 

The most important part of McDermott’s defenses if Carolina was the LB position. Star is of no value if we don’t get someone sitting behind him , choosing which gap to fill.

• Like (+1) 1