The Jets Just Made a Mistake

Just now, Elite Poster said:

This is under the assumption that there is no way in hell the Giants or Browns would be opposed to trading with the NYJ to pick three. The fact of the matter is, the Jets have a golden key and 3 doors. We have a silver key and 12 doors. 

We are both looking for the same thing. We do not have the advantage. 

They didnt have gusto to do it now what would change on draft night?  Buffalo knows what it would take and that is why they made that trade with the Bengals.  Beane is too calculated to trade to 3 this far out from the draft.  The top organizations are not going to grade the top 5 Qbs similar.  They are not all going to be great pros.  The NFL has 13 good QBs. This draft isnt going to produce 5.  Figure out which one you like best and get him if you think he is a Franchise Qb.  Maybe 3 was the only option I dont think that is case.  Gettleman wants a kings ransom that Buffalo can pay.  1 is the qb they want going to be their? 2 Is that Qb worth the price tag.  Without knowing 1 or 2 I dont understand why you trade that far up.  

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree, but we can’t choose guys based on who wants to be here imo. We’d be picking from

the bottom of the barrel regularly. They’ll all be fine with it once they arrive. Kelly didn’t want to come here in the beginning either. 

The Giants need a QB as well as Eli is 37 and in "decline" as some say. Assuming Rosen sits for a year or maybe even 2 would be a perfect transition as well. 

Rosen telling the Giants he would love to play for them might influence their decision to trade down with the Bills. 

QB aside. Can you imagine the haul from this draft talent wise by keeping the picks? Perhaps they view McCarron as a push for Tyrod overall. Stud MLB, WR, 2nd round center, RT... the possibilities are endless... Even if we suck next year, who is looking to come out in 2019 QB wise? I'm just not panicking any longer...

Edited by SmokinES3
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SmokinES3 said:

QB aside. Can you imagine the haul from this draft talent wise by keeping the picks? Perhaps they view McCarron as a push for Tyrod overall. Stud MLB, WR, 2nd round center, RT... the possibilities are endless... Even if we suck next year, who is looking to come out in 2019 QB wise? I'm just not panicking any longer...

2019 qbs are TRASH

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They didnt have gusto to do it now what would change on draft night?  Buffalo knows what it would take and that is why they made that trade with the Bengals.  Beane is too calculated to trade to 3 this far out from the draft.  The top organizations are not going to grade the top 5 Qbs similar.  They are not all going to be great pros.  The NFL has 13 good QBs. This draft isnt going to produce 5.  Figure out which one you like best and get him if you think he is a Franchise Qb.  Maybe 3 was the only option I dont think that is case.  Gettleman wants a kings ransom that Buffalo can pay.  1 is the qb they want going to be their? 2 Is that Qb worth the price tag.  Without knowing 1 or 2 I dont understand why you trade that far up.  

We don't know. 

NFL GMs probably do.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Jets definitely tried to move higher than 3rd overall, and it was probably made pretty clear that #1 and #2 aren't available or the cost of acquiring either pick didn't make sense. 

The Browns are going to take Barkley #1 overall (I think they view him as the best player in the draft and will be happy with whatever QB is there with the 4th pick), and the Giants are going to auction off the 2nd pick when the time comes. Maybe someone makes the trade, and maybe they don't. My guess is that when it's all said and done, someone offers the Giants a king's ransom and they move down 3-10 spots and draft an impact player. 

The Eagles moved up a few years ago without knowing if they'd get Wentz or Goff. The Jets just did the same thing IMO. They have 2 guys rated really similarly and they'll be happy with either one. 

Edited by jrober38

Mistake? I doubt many here would be calling it a mistake if we moved up to #3. They sure did an incredible job of screwing us over for a mistake. 

Here's the triple whammy:

1) They eliminated a trade partner in the top 5

2) Set a ridiculous price for #2, if it's even available

3) Are bringing a top prospect at QB into the division

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

The haul won’t matter, if McCarron’s ceiling is that of a backup QB. The Bills have tired the winning with a mediocre QB method for almost two decades now. It doesn’t work. 

34 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I love the offseason. Sure as Sh*t whatever you think is going to happen won't. All we do is speculate without insight. I myself can't wait to actually see what happens. Beane is not only drafting for this year he's looking at 2019. If by chance one of us got lucky and speculated correctly about the pick, blind kudos to you.

Assuming that the Bills improve their W/L record next year, a coveted QB pick would likely not be available to them in '19. The time to go all in, is NOW

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Good points, but Beane may be under more pressure than we think. Since the Colts chose trading back with the Jets, like many others have said, the Giants will more than likely force any team to mortgage a ton of picks. Can't really say I'd be happy with settling for second best when the opportunity was there to grab a top rated talent. Then again, maybe we don't even go with QB at all now

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Mistake? I doubt many here would be calling it a mistake if we moved up to #3. They sure did an incredible job of screwing us over for a mistake. 

With Mahomes in KC, and now likely a top QB prospect in NY, this could look really bad for Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Assuming that the Bills improve their W/L record next year, a coveted QB pick would likely not be available to them in '19. The time to go all in, is NOW

QB class looks lousy for 2019 (as of now).

What a joke.

As of yesterday, the Jets had missed out on landing Kirk Cousins.  They didn't even get Case Keenum or Sam Bradford.  They had settled for a 1-year deal with Teddy Bridgewater, who was ridiculously overrated even before he totally destroyed his knee.  For the draft, they were on the outside looking in.  Behind Cleveland.  Behind the Broncos.  And most likely behind the Bills whenever a trade went through.

Now they are in position to potentially land the franchise quarterback they have been missing.  I can't understand how ANYONE in Buffalo could be happy about that.  If they hit on a guy, they are in the prime position to take New England's place in the AFC East whenever Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire.  Meanwhile, we will get stuck (once again) stockpiling talent all over the roster, only to watch our passing game keep us from actually accomplishing anything.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The haul won’t matter, if McCarron’s ceiling is that of a backup QB. The Bills have tired the winning with a mediocre QB method for almost two decades now. It doesn’t work. 

I agree the insanity has to stop, but it's not worth ANY cost to do it this year IMO. We made the playoffs last year with a 31st ranked passing attack.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

OK. But let me review a couple facts that I  have in mind.

Of all the QB rankings there are, ESPN, Mayock, Sports Illustrated, even Blesto the NFL scouting service, Not one of those people works for an NFL team.

The Bills very likely have the QBs rated differently. We can't know what that is right now.

2nd, teams make mistakes every year. And QBs slip down who should not have, pretty often.

Not getting a QB at #2 or #3 might look terrible to us, but it might not look like that to McBeane.

And as another poster said, if the Bills wanted that 3rd spot, we would have it. We have more ammo.

So Beane didn't get bushwacked here. At least he think he knows what he is doing.

19 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Another possibility: As Day One of the draft begins, the Jets themselves may be open to a trade for a king's ransom of picks.

Help me understand how this works.

They overpaid to move up 3 picks in hopes of a other team over paying more?