The Jets Just Made a Mistake

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

OK. But let me review a couple facts that I  have in mind.

Of all the QB rankings there are, ESPN, Mayock, Sports Illustrated, even Blesto the NFL scouting service, Not one of those people works for an NFL team.

The Bills very likely have the QBs rated differently. We can't know what that is right now.

2nd, teams make mistakes every year. And QBs slip down who should not have, pretty often.

Not getting a QB at #2 or #3 might look terrible to us, but it might not look like that to McBeane.

And as another poster said, if the Bills wanted that 3rd spot, we would have it. We have more ammo.

So Beane didn't get bushwacked here. At least he think he knows what he is doing.

I wouldn't say Beane got bushwacked, I'm saying the Jets didn't make a mistake (at least not yet). They have had a QB problem for years just like us, and as of today they are now in a better position to address it. 

They may very well whiff on QB, but the right move for them is taking a swing.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Just a word if you will allow me.

The Jets just traded into the 3rd spot of the first round. I feel grim about that just like everyone because it makes it look like we might get shut out from having our choice.

I think the only person truly happy about it is AJ McCarron, who is probably still dancing as I speak.

But it was a mistake. This was never going to be easy and it is more like a gunfight than anything else. Somebody is going to live and somebody is going to die.

Beane will keep his cool, because Beane will know that the Jets just locked themselves in to taking whoever is left at 3.

So the Jets have played their cards too soon which leaves  Beane with a small advantage. Beane still has the option to trade up if the guy he wants is there at 2. 

The Jets just made it so we can get ahead of them. We don't have to worry about them any more if you look at it that way.

You get 15 minutes I think it is in round one to wheel and deal. If the Bills see somebody they want bad enough they can probably trade ahead of the Jets and get who they want. While the Jets are pretty much locked in.

The whole thing is dicey but we just got a small advantage here.

I don't believe they will, but if the Browns take Barkey #1, this Jets move could result in the Buffalo Bills getting first pick of all the quarterbacks. They can get whoever they want.

Get to Two. Just do it. 

Jets want Mayfield, they just secured that. Darnold will go first, if Rosen is our guy, you give the Giants whatever it takes!!! I just have a funny feeling our staff loves Allen. I think they view him as a Cam Newton type QB which they are all familiar with. FWIW I like Rosen and I would give whatever the Giants want 

36 minutes ago, Success said:

This.  The chance we move to 2 - or that the giants want to - are slim.  

Lets build a team team with the picks we have in a deep draft.

This is still a rebuild. And usually one of the first pieces a team prioritizes is a QB. Buffalo hasn't done that in forever, at least not successfully. Using their top picks to address needs is a sure way to remain mediocre. 

Yeah, Buffalo has needs in the front 7, interior OL, RT, and WR. Even if they address all those with their 6 top 100 picks and have an average QB it doesn't mean they'll be a championship caliber team. Minnesota had a solid team with an average QB and look what they did. 

14 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

With Mahomes in KC, and now likely a top QB prospect in NY, this could look really bad for Beane. 

Beane wasn't the GM when the trade down happened in the 2017 draft. 

Edited by BillsVet

The Jets just traded into the 3rd spot of the first round. I feel grim about that just like everyone because it makes it look like we might get shut out from having our choice.

I think the only person truly happy about it is AJ McCarron, who is probably still dancing as I speak.

But it was a mistake. This was never going to be easy and it is more like a gunfight than anything else. Somebody is going to live and somebody is going to die.

Beane will keep his cool, because Beane will know that the Jets just locked themselves in to taking whoever is left at 3.

So the Jets have played their cards too soon which leaves  Beane with a small advantage. Beane still has the option to trade up if the guy he wants is there at 2. 

The Jets just made it so we can get ahead of them. We don't have to worry about them any more if you look at it that way.

You get 15 minutes I think it is in round one to wheel and deal. If the Bills see somebody they want bad enough they can probably trade ahead of the Jets and get who they want. While the Jets are pretty much locked in.

I don't believe they will, but if the Browns take Barkey #1, this Jets move could result in the Buffalo Bills getting first pick of all the quarterbacks. They can get whoever they want.

How do we know that Arizona is not on the phone with the Giants as we speak ?? 

You think that #2 is only ours for taking ? 

IMO, this is totally wrong.

The freakin Giants are taking a QB. Gettlemen and Shurmur aren’t stupid enough to pass on a franchise guy and know they won’t have this opportunity ever again to pick 2.

The first 3 picks of the draft are going to be QB. Book it. Sig it. Do what you gotta do.

We lost. No other way to say it. Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield in that order will be the selections which means it would be Allen the only one left. Allen sucks so no need to trade up for him so now the plan changes.

Keep ALL picks, pray like hell AJ is the real deal, and trust the process.

QB is off the table now.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Right, it wasn't an automatic move up.

But it sure was an automatic attempt to move up.

This hurt us.

I politely disagree with Meanie. This vastly restricted our options and raised the price - a lot, probably - for making a move. And it put the Giants in the catbird seat. They're likely to be able to run an auction for several teams which might want to move up and get ahead of the Jets.

And the Jets could even turn around now and trade up with the Giants. The #3 pick would make a very tempting bit of trade bait for the Giants, who could collect some extra picks while still getting the guy they wanted at #2 but a pick later.

I politely disagree with you as well Sir. :)

I think everything you say is true. But they could have done that the day of. All of it would be as true the day of as it is now. 

But now, the 2nd pick is still there. If the Jets did this after that pick was gone, they wouldn't have given the Bills a way to get ahead of them.

People seem to be insisting that the Giants won't trade, but so far as I know, nobody has any way to know if that is true or not, any more than I do. So peopel can't present as fact that we have no recourse because we do. 

13 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Good points, but Beane may be under more pressure than we think. Since the Colts chose trading back with the Jets, like many others have said, the Giants will more than likely force any team to mortgage a ton of picks. Can't really say I'd be happy with settling for second best when the opportunity was there to grab a top rated talent. Then again, maybe we don't even go with QB at all now

Your right and maybe Buffalo slow played their hand too much.  With they way they handled Tyrod and FA in the QB position I dont see the organization doing anything hastily.  I am curious to see how far along the evaluations truely are along at one BIlls Dr.  on the crop of Qbs.  Do they have a Qb they evaluate at a Franchise Qb.  Do they have to move to 2 to get him?  I assumed they do and they will move to 2 for him.  Maybe they value Jackson and all there picks more than half there picks and Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm telling you right now, anyone who thinks yesterday was lip service from Beane...

I think Beane saw an opportunity to shed salary and move up in the draft with Glenn.

There is a very strong possibility that move didn't entail him automatically moving up as was assumed.

Now the Jets moving up means the Giants can literally ask for anything and I sincerely doubt Beane gives up the cost.

Lol everything a GM says is lip service.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

IMO, this is totally wrong.

The freakin Giants are taking a QB. Gettlemen and Shurmur aren’t stupid enough to pass on a franchise guy and know they won’t have this opportunity ever again to pick 2.

The first 3 picks of the draft are going to be QB. Book it. Sig it. Do what you gotta do.

We lost. No other way to say it. Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield in that order will be the selections which means it would be Allen the only one left. Allen sucks so no need to trade up for him so now the plan changes.

Keep ALL picks, pray like hell AJ is the real deal, and trust the process.

QB is off the table now.

Browns are going to take Barkley #1 and Allen #4. 

I guarantee it. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Browns are going to take Barkley #1 and Allen #4. 

I guarantee it. 

It’s the Browns and they are stupid so you might be right. Still, that changes nothing.

1. Barkley

2. Rosen

3. Darnold

4. Allen

5. Mayfield 

Edited by McBean

You do realize that just bc our guy is there at #2 doesnt mean that the Giants are going to trade with us right? People seem to think Beane controls his owm destiny - he doesnt. 

As of right now, the Jets are 100% in a better position than us to get their guy. 

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

You do realize that just bc our guy is there at #2 doesnt mean that the Giants are going to trade with us right? People seem to think Beane controls his owm destiny - he doesnt. 

As of right now, the Jets are 100% in a better position than us to get their guy. 

Which again is why we should have tanked. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I politely disagree with you as well Sir. :)

I think everything you say is true. But they could have done that the day of. All of it would be as true the day of as it is now. 

But now, the 2nd pick is still there. If the Jets did this after that pick was gone, they wouldn't have given the Bills a way to get ahead of them.

People seem to be insisting that the Giants won't trade, but so far as I know, nobody has any way to know if that is true or not, any more than I do. So peopel can't present as fact that we have no recourse because we do. 

The second pick is still there. But for all we know the Giants have decided to use it.

The Jets waiting to do the same move later wouldn't have made things any easier. Only a bit more surprising.

This trade gives the Giants a lot of time to play teams off against each other. If the #2 pick is even available, this drives the price up, making any team wanting the QB of their choice aware that they absolutely must have that one pick, they can't wait for #3 or #4 or later.

This may well have OBD saying, "Jeez, let's look at Mayfield again. Can't see any way to get Rosen, or at least without spending an absolute king's ransom."

Edited by Thurman#1