What if Browns covet LAMAR?!?!

I am not predicting this...but the more I think about this the more I think Lamar may be the target for the Browns.  Just think about this for a second.

Most people think they overpaid for Taylor.  So why did they do it if they intend on taking a QB high?  Why give up the first pick in the 3rd round for a one year rental essentially given TT only has one year on their deal?

• Could mean they think TT has long term potential, and maybe allows Cleveland to go with non quarterbacks this year at 1 and 4 and maybe target a 2nd round QB or one next year. (I doubt this is the case though)
  • Could mean they want a quality bridge QB to keep their rookie off the field as long as possible, but still the first pick in the 3rd is an expensive price for that with several FA options out there that wouldnt have cost them a draft asset.
  • Or maybe, they are one of the teams that is enamored with Lamar and thats why TT makes a lot of sense for them to pay a premium to get for a bridge.  

All this talk about Allen being the guy they covet is worthless because no team is showing their cards and draft plans right now.  Smokescreens are abundant this time of year.  Could be true, but also no reason to believe its absolutely true and why so many still mock guys like Darnold or Rosen to them.  

But lets think about this a second...its not all that crazy to think they covet Lamar, many people around the NFL feel he is special.  Only takes one team to fall in love with the upside (ask Tim Tebow).  If they do covet Lamar, they could take him at 4 or even trade back with say the Jets at 6 who want to leap frog the Broncos (assuming neither has moved up to 2 or 3 yet in different trade).  They could swap with us at 12 even.  

If they traded back to say 5 or 6, they easily can recoup say a 2nd round pick to make up for the 3rd they gave the Bills for TT.  They get TT and Lamar and they actually improved their draft selection essentially by going from a 3rd (sent to us) to a 2nd (and possibly more in a small trade back).  Or they could get even more back if say the Bills trade up to 4 with them because they believe they can get Lamar at 12.  

More I think about this, the more I start thinking it makes sense that maybe their "guy" is really Lamar.  They take Barkely #1 and pair him with the athleticism and explosiveness of Lamar?!?  Not hard to see how a team or OC would drool and be excited about that potential if they felt Lamar was a legit QB prospect.

Just fun speculation, but this to me makes some sense and I am starting to think Lamar is a legit candidate to the Browns.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Wow if we got to 4 by only giving up our 1st's plus Glenn I'd poo

Unfortunately will have to sweeten the deal a little bit , the question will 4th be good enough ? I’d be really happy with that 

I think they are looking for a more polished thrower. We had way too many three and outs last year because we couldn't throw the ball. 

From reading between the lines, I think they want a pocket passer. Hopefully it will be Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. 

Edit: thought this was about the Bills. 

Edited by billspro

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

So you think Lamar goes before Baker or Allen ??

Very first line says "I am not predicting this" and title says "What if"

But yes, its absolutely possible for that to happen.  Would I do it...no, but I also wouldn't have drafted Tim Tebow in the first...or passed on Russel Wilson in the 2nd.  What I think doesn't matter, its what teams fall in love with.

And Lamar is a guy some team will fall in love with.  And while looking around the league, I just saw Cleveland overpay and give up a premium draft pick for a QB that is a 1 year rental essentially in a draft that has Lamar Jackson in it.  So makes me wonder the thought process on the TT deal...COULD it be because they are high on Lamar?  

And if they do want Lamar, that is VERY GOOD for the Bills because it opens up the possibility to now trade to #4 as they can probably land Lamar at #12...or if they shock and flat out take Lamar at 4, it means that both Baker and Allen start sliding and we can either stay put or move up cheaper to like 9 or 10 and get one of them.  

All speculation of course...just haven't seen anyone mention that maybe the TT trade is tied to potential interest in Lamar, which would again be VERY good for us if true especially now that we have the 12th pick.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The idea of anyone having Jackson and Barkely in the same backfield on rookie deals is absolutely mind blowing.

I could not imagine a more spectacular playmaking duo.

Very much doubt thats in the cards though. JMO.

Also I dont think Lamar would be well served by sitting behind Tyrod. To be a very successful QB he needs to develop behind a pocket passer like Bradford. In terms of physical skillset he can already pretty much do anything Tyrod can do - and probably better. Plus I dont see Tyrod imparting much in the way of football smarts to a rook. Great example on how to carry oneself with class and as a professional but not really as a mentor imparting football wisdom.

Just now, aristocrat said:

you mean rosen?

No, I'm talking about the Browns (the subject of this thread). I think that Josh Allen may be the target - he's Roethlisberger-like in his talent and from a physical talent perspective is heads and shoulders above the rest. He's also performed extremely well in the postseason showcases. As I said elsewhere, I put very little stock in completion percentages at low-talent schools like Wyoming. The draft is about projection, not past performance for an under-talented team. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Very first line says "I am not predicting this".

But yes, its absolutely possible for that to happen.  Would I do it...no, but I also wouldn't have drafted Tim Tebow in the first...or passed on Russel Wilson in the 2nd.  What I think doesn't matter, its what teams fall in love with.

And Lamar is a guy some team will fall in love with.  And while looking around the league, I just saw Cleveland overpay and give up a premium draft pick for a QB that is a 1 year rental essentially in a draft that has Lamar Jackson in it.  So makes me wonder the thought process on the TT deal...COULD it be because they are high on Lamar?  

Who knows you could be right ,  there maybe more teams who are downplaying / keep it on down low , but really do like Lamar Jackson 

8 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

The idea of anyone having Jackson and Barkely in the same backfield on rookie deals is absolutely mind blowing.

I could not imagine a more spectacular playmaking duo.

Very much doubt thats in the cards though. JMO.

Also I dont think Lamar would be well served by sitting behind Tyrod. To be a very successful QB he needs to develop behind a pocket passer like Bradford. In terms of physical skillset he can already pretty much do anything Tyrod can do - and probably better. Plus I dont see Tyrod imparting much in the way of football smarts to a rook. Great example on how to carry oneself with class and as a professional but not really as a mentor imparting football wisdom.

Yeah makes sense, but been thinking about the TT trade, and the first pick in the 3rd is a steep price to pay for a 1 year rental at QB.  Especially with so many FA options this year.  So started thinking about why they paid so much for a guy a lot of people still thought we would outright cut.  

The more I think about it, the more I start wondering if they are high on Lamar.  Think about it...they could recoup a 2nd back by trading back a few spots to and still take Lamar.  So they would get more back than they gave up to get TT essentially and still get their target of Lamar.  The more I think about it, the more I think this makes sense.

But who knows, this is a crazy offseason so far, and super fun as there are so many possibilities.  But I honestly am starting to think Lamar could be a target of the Browns.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The bills just showed that TT’s style is not working for what they want to do.  Ergo a TT clone won’t be a selection imo 

Yet they still gave up a premium draft pick to get him...so clearly they must think more of TT than you do wouldnt you say?

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He’s gone.   What does that say????

It says NOTHING about why the Browns did it...you know the purpose of this thread.  Reading and comprehension hasn't been your strong suit around here though.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I doubt it. With Hue getting just one more year and Dorsey as gm now its prob gonna be more Dorseys pick and hes prob gonna go for Darnold Allen or Mayfield before he even thinks about Rudolph or L Jax.

Only reason its not Rosen is cuz he said he doesnt wanna play for them and im sure they don't want to get Eli Manning'ed.

56 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They wanted him last season too.   

Taylor is gone and I’m not disappointed at all.  

LMAO, you just cant help yourself.  I mean seriously, its utterly hilarious how you just cant even use your feeble mind to have a conversation about something without just making it about your whining about Tyrod, which this thread has nothing to do with.  Sorry he banged your girl and got her pregnant, but geezus its time to let it go.  

Bottom line is this discussion is looking at some of the reasons they may have done it, and in the end, could be good for the Bills if it has to do with Lamar.  But again, reading and comprehension have never been your strong suits around here.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not predicting this...but the more I think about this the more I think Lamar may be the target for the Browns.  Just think about this for a second.

Most people think they overpaid for Taylor.  So why did they do it if they intend on taking a QB high?  Why give up the first pick in the 3rd round for a one year rental essentially given TT only has one year on their deal?

• Could mean they think TT has long term potential, and maybe allows Cleveland to go with non quarterbacks this year at 1 and 4 and maybe target a 2nd round QB or one next year. (I doubt this is the case though)
  • Could mean they want a quality bridge QB to keep their rookie off the field as long as possible, but still the first pick in the 3rd is an expensive price for that with several FA options out there that wouldnt have cost them a draft asset.
  • Or maybe, they are one of the teams that is enamored with Lamar and thats why TT makes a lot of sense for them to pay a premium to get for a bridge.  

All this talk about Allen being the guy they covet is worthless because no team is showing their cards and draft plans right now.  Smokescreens are abundant this time of year.  Could be true, but also no reason to believe its absolutely true and why so many still mock guys like Darnold or Rosen to them.  

But lets think about this a second...its not all that crazy to think they covet Lamar, many people around the NFL feel he is special.  Only takes one team to fall in love with the upside (ask Tim Tebow).  If they do covet Lamar, they could take him at 4 or even trade back with say the Jets at 6 who want to leap frog the Broncos (assuming neither has moved up to 2 or 3 yet in different trade).  They could swap with us at 12 even.  

If they traded back to say 5 or 6, they easily can recoup say a 2nd round pick to make up for the 3rd they gave the Bills for TT.  They get TT and Lamar and they actually improved their draft selection essentially by going from a 3rd (sent to us) to a 2nd (and possibly more in a small trade back).  Or they could get even more back if say the Bills trade up to 4 with them because they believe they can get Lamar at 12.  

More I think about this, the more I start thinking it makes sense that maybe their "guy" is really Lamar.  They take Barkely #1 and pair him with the athleticism and explosiveness of Lamar?!?  Not hard to see how a team or OC would drool and be excited about that potential if they felt Lamar was a legit QB prospect.

Just fun speculation, but this to me makes some sense and I am starting to think Lamar is a legit candidate to the Browns.

I think Cleveland is going Barkley and Baker. Although I'm high on Jackson, I think Cleveland goes with the "sure thing". I am for pairing Jackson with Shady/Ivory. The playaction game with those two and Jackson is gonna be deadly. Don't be surprised when you hear Lamar's name at 12.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

If the Browns want Lamar Jackson.............................see what they will give for pick #12.............because he'll still be available.

Well thats definitely one of the reasons why this particularly interests me.  Would they be wiling to trade down to 12 if that was the case because Lamar should be there at 12.  The other side effect would be what if they traded to down to 5 or 6 and took Lamar...that would leave 2 other QB's that should fall out of the top 6 out of Rosen, Darnold, Baker, and Allen...and probably Baker and Allen as I think Rosen and Darnold go top 6.  Could we then say land a guy like Baker at 12 or in a cheaper move up to 9, 10, or 11?

Again, all speculation, just finding the TT trade to be an over pay and wondering why they would do it.  To me, Lamar interest makes sense and makes me wonder.

NOTE:  Of course, all of this becomes a mute point in relation to its impact on the Bills if the Colts rumors come into fruition and we move up to #3.  

It wouldn't surprise me if Hue was in control, but I don't think he is. 

I think the Browns would be crazy not to pick Rosen or Darnold but you never know.

They’ve always tried that approach and it’s never worked for them in the past.

I don’t think they are going to get too cute this year and they will just take Darnold at 1

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I think the Browns would be crazy not to pick Rosen or Darnold but you never know.

They’ve always tried that approach and it’s never worked for them in the past.

I don’t think they are going to get too cute this year and they will just take Darnold at 1

I agree with you, they need to get the QB right and not play games.

I still actually think they will take Barkley #1 and grab a QB at #4, and its probably what I would do if I was them too.  If I am the Browns, I take Barkley 1 and Baker (who I personally like the most) at 4.  However, up to now, been thinking it would be Allen at 4 since thats mostly the QB people have linked to them.  But after over paying for TT, I wonder if they actually like Lamar...and if they do, would they pull the trigger on him at 4 or target him on a trade down and pick up more assets.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

It's an interesting scenario you lay out but I don't see it materializing. If Lamar is their favored qb then what you lay out makes a lot of sense. What I see happening is either the Browns use their first pick on their preferred qb (not Lamar) or draft Barkley and then with their next high pick get their qb or  draft a premium player such as DE Chubb or DB Fitzpatrick. The Browns have a lot of options but from what I have heard from the reporters that cover the Browns is that they want to stay high in the draft. Even with the deal with Buffalo they still have plenty of picks and cap space to acquire more players. If the Jets like Allen a lot they probably can get him from their current draft position. 

Cleveland is in a very interesting situation. If they handle the draft and cap availability smartly they should add an infusion of talent to their roster. Without question Cleveland is a team that could/should make a quantum leap forward. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I still actually think they will take Barkley #1 and grab a QB at #4, and its probably what I would do if I was them too.  If I am the Browns, I take Barkley 1 and Baker at 4.  However, up to now, been thinking it would be Allen at 4 since thats mostly the QB people have linked to them.  But after over paying for TT, I wonder if they actually like Lamar...and if they do, would they pull the trigger on him at 4 or target him on a trade down and pick up more assets.  

Ya they much control the draft in a sense. Or at least will be setting the tone.

I think they should pick the best QB available. If they think its darnold or rosen, then pick one of them at 1. If they think it's Mayfield, then they can take Barkley 1 and get Mayfield at 4.

Just my opinion. Although getting Barkley and Mayfield would be so exciting for them

Browns more then likely picked up Taylor cause they know they have an uphill battle getting a starting QB there as a FA knowing they will be taking a QB at 1 or 4 so they get a safe starter for now in a trade that's good enough to not turn the ball over and play until the rookie is ready

• Like (+1) 1