I Do Believe Foles is the Target

H2o

First off, I am not certain how I would feel about this move. On the one hand Foles has been excellent in Philly running a RPO style offense. He crushed under Chip Kelly and clearly excelled under Pederson. This is the same style of offense I expect Daboll to be rolling with. I don't know if I really count his Rams stint because Fisher was the coach and that guy was useless. Sean McVay took basically the same team and won the division with it. Either way, he got hot last year and the Eagles steam-rolled to a SB victory. His stock for Philly has reached it's zenith. It can get no higher. So because of that Philly is trying to cash in. What is realistic here? What would we give up to get him? I'm not sure, but I expect to find out within the next 6 weeks or so. 

Foles is a high character guy and fits the profile McDermott/Beane are looking for. Foles is a proven commodity compared any rookie that you could possibly put on the field. Foles is an obvious upgrade over Tyrod in the passing game. Foles is taller, reads the defense better, can throw to all levels of the field accurately, and has shown the ability to fit the ball into tight windows on timing routes. If the system that best fits him is the system we plan to run then I expect him to be the QB we go after. I believe all the talk of Lamar Jackson is nonsense or smokescreens. What I am seriously starting to believe though is that Foles will be the Bills QB come opening day 2018. 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, bigdogtim said:

Good plan, ESPECIALLY IF we can get him without giving up a first round pick.

Mortensen is saying that the Eagles want MORE than the 1st and 4th that they received for Sam Bradford 2 years ago.  So, unless you're ok with Beane giving the Eagles 21, 22, 53 or 56 and a 2019 pick, I don't see them going after Foles at that price.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't hate this strategy if the cost to move into the top 5 is exorbitant or simply is rejected for another team's offer. A Foles trade wouldn't have to happen until the draft. That might drive the price up though, if other options are exhausted. The Bills might have to make up their mind on how high to go on this before the draft arrives, while other options are open. Foles for a 2nd and holding onto their first round picks could yield better results than paying a boatload of picks to move up for a prospect. 

Another bridge QB who got hot at the perfect time, He was thrown out of L.A. and KC (He didn't even see the field in KC). Taylor isn't a good QB so you can name quite a few QB's who are better, Foles is only a marginal upgrade imo, he will disappoint as soon as he's named starter like he has up until the playoff run for the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dalton said:

My concern is knowing which Foles we will get.  If we get the SB MVP, yes.  If we get the Rams Roles, not so much.

I dont know how to feel about Foles.   He has done ok taking care of the ball over the last two years, but I feel like if you give up a 1st or 2nd for a player they should probably be your guy for the next two or three years and I am not sure he can be that.    I'd prefer to draft someone but I know a lot of the people I talk to about the Bills really like the Foles idea.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Plan? Foles might jot be available with Wentz return date uncertain.  Not much of a plan. 

Maybe not, but if interested the Bills have to put the pressure on. Eventually the Eagles will be in a Garrapolo situation trying to get something in return for their asset sitting on the bench. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the Eagles organization screwing Foles out of his chance to be a starter and holding onto him for 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, bigdogtim said:

Good plan, ESPECIALLY IF we can get him without giving up a first round pick.

I think  2-24 and 3-32 should be offered...still provides the Bills three picks in the top 60 to address other needs.  Would also draft a QB with one of the fifths.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Mortensen is saying that the Eagles want MORE than the 1st and 4th that they received for Sam Bradford 2 years ago.  So, unless you're ok with Beane giving the Eagles 21, 22, 53 or 56 and a 2019 pick, I don't see them going after Foles at that price.

Well, NO team is in at that price imo. The Eagles can ask all they want, but he won't fetch a first imo. 

9 minutes ago, Kemp2Warlick said:

Please let this happen!!

+100.  Way too easy to whiff on the QB position with your 1st pick.  Look no further than Lake Erie for that. Yes we have many holes and would lose some picks certainly but worth it for a proven commodity.  

25 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe not, but if interested the Bills have to put the pressure on. Eventually the Eagles will be in a Garrapolo situation trying to get something in return for their asset sitting on the bench. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the Eagles organization screwing Foles out of his chance to be a starter and holding onto him for 3 years. 

Put the pressure on?  Please! The Eagles would be dumb to trade away their insurance policy against Wentz not being ready to start the season. They aren't screwing him out of anything. He'll be totally free in 2019.  Beyond that their asking price of more than a 1st and a 4th is telling teams they don't really want to trade him as I posted in the other thread.  He's not worth giving up multiple draft assets, so if he's the plan it's a crappy one. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

They are using Mort, Shefty, etc to set a price...doesn't mean they will get it.  They got this for Bradford because of timing.  Vikes were desperate.  I think if the Eagles hold him and wait for a training camp injury -- yes they can get maybe a 1 and a 3 or 1 and 2.  If they sell now when there are other options--they won't get this.

Put the pressure on?  Please! The Eagles would be dumb to trade away their insurance policy against Foles not being ready to start the season. They aren't screwing him out of anything. He'll be totally free in 2019.  Beyond that their asking price of more than a 1st and a 4th is telling teams they don't really want to trade him as I posted in the other thread.  He's not worth giving up multiple draft assets, so if he's the plan it's a crappy one. 

Maybe. I'm not convinced they let him walk for nothing in 2019 when he could fetch an asset right now. Wentz was injured late in the season, and that's a concern. Wouldn't be shocked if Foles is traded at the deadline though a la Garrapolo. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Put the pressure on?  Please! The Eagles would be dumb to trade away their insurance policy against Foles not being ready to start the season. They aren't screwing him out of anything. He'll be totally free in 2019.  Beyond that their asking price of more than a 1st and a 4th is telling teams they don't really want to trade him as I posted in the other thread.  He's not worth giving up multiple draft assets, so if he's the plan it's a crappy one. 

of course they will ask for the moon to start.  in the end we will see if they want to keep him as a back for 1 year vs the draft capitol they get for him now.  They have a lot of talent walking out the door this off season that they will need to replace with cheap labor 

If they don't trade him, they risk losing him for nothing in 2019. He has a strange provision that his contract voids in 2019 if he is on the Eagles roster. The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with this move. Not for a 1 and 4, but I think I'd be willing to give a 2. He seems like a great fit and the contract is a 5 year deal that is pennies, allowing the team to upgrade elsewhere. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nick-foles-contract-would-make-him-a-free-agent-if-hes-on-the-eagles-in-february-2019/

My gut is that he winds up in Arizona if they can't get Cousins. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Another bridge QB who got hot at the perfect time, He was thrown out of L.A. and KC (He didn't even see the field in KC). Taylor isn't a good QB so you can name quite a few QB's who are better, Foles is only a marginal upgrade imo, he will disappoint as soon as he's named starter like he has up until the playoff run for the Eagles.

The argument could be made that L.A. was a dumpster fire (and evidence definitely supports that) that sucked the soul of QB's. He didn't see the field in KC because they had a good starter, and he was signed to be a backup (and did not get a chance to start anywhere else because of the perception he received due to his reputation from the dumpster fire). He was let go from KC because they were planning on drafting a guy and wanted room for the rook to be the backup.   

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they don't trade him, they risk losing him for nothing in 2019. He has a strange provision that his contract voids in 2019 if he is on the Eagles roster. The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with this move. Not for a 1 and 4, but I think I'd be willing to give a 2. He seems like a great fit and the co tract is a 5 year deal that is pennies, allowing tetras to upgrade elsewhere. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nick-foles-contract-would-make-him-a-free-agent-if-hes-on-the-eagles-in-february-2019/

Cheap QB insurance on a team trying to win Super Bowls is worth more than a #2 pick that they reportedly already turned down. 

Just now, JoeF said:

That's because Foles was stinking it up during the regular season before the playoffs began.  No more Fool's Gold retreads!

• Like (+1) 1

That's because Foles was stinking it up during the regular season before the playoffs began.  No more Fool's Gold retreads!

he was not playing well until the adjusted the offense for him.   once they adjusted he took off.  He has an all time great stretch under chip Kelly.  He is better the your Average qb and miles better than Taylor.  Risking a 2nd pick is fine, sending a Bradford type package is too rich for me 

No way Beane is giving up a 1st and a 4th plus... Just do not see that happening. A trade up in the draft for a QB is more likely, and even that is a long shot IMO.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The argument could be made that L.A. was a dumpster fire (and evidence definitely supports that) that sucked the soul of QB's. He didn't see the field in KC because they had a good starter, and he was signed to be a backup (and did not get a chance to start anywhere else because of the perception he received due to his reputation from the dumpster fire). He was let go from KC because they were planning on drafting a guy and wanted room for the rook to be the backup.   

2nd year QB Jared Goff had no problem throwing to the dumpster fire, it was virtually the same team with Watkins inserted was it not? And isn't the QB supposed to make the WR around him better not the other way around? And KC had such a great starter in Alex Smith that they shipped him off to Washington in favor of a guy who had 1 career start. My guess is if they would have saw anything in Foles as a potential starter they would have kept him in KC regardless of how well Smith was playing, Reid knows how to handle the situation. Foles looked like the next great QB in the playoffs, unfortunately from game to game that isn't the Foles you'll be getting imo.

12 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

he was not playing well until the adjusted the offense for him.   once they adjusted he took off.  He has an all time great stretch under chip Kelly.  He is better the your Average qb and miles better than Taylor.  Risking a 2nd pick is fine, sending a Bradford type package is too rich for me 

Is he bringing the coaching staff and personnel with him to the Bills?  Nope.  He's already shown what kind of QB he is outside of a Chip Kelly styled offense that features RPOs with a strong supporting cast and it hasn't been very good.  No thanks for me.   I want a QB who can elevate a team that's around him and that's not the guy under discussion. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, NO team is in at that price imo. The Eagles can ask all they want, but he won't fetch a first imo. 

That's the point.

The eagles love him on a cheap backup contract so they don't have to rush Wentz back.

They are asking more than he is worth, by a lot, and if somebody bites, they got king's ransom for somebody they didn't have long term plans for anyway.

If nobody bites, they'll be content having a backup QB who is better than like 30-40% of the starters out there, on a cheap contract.

They are negotiating/selling from a position of power, there is no easy way to get foles away from them, you're going to pay a super-premium for him.

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exactly, like I said above, they don't need to, or want to trade him, but they will dangle him and see if some dipshit*t GM who is extra thirsty takes the bait.

If not? They are sitting pretty with him on the bench.

if the Eagles really want 2 1sts or something close then they better sit Wentz and play Foles as starter next season...if Foles looks as good next season as he was in the last 5 games of 2017 then they might get it...but I cant give a team that much for a qb that hasnt proved to be consistent in winning...besides that, you dont bench a QB that just won you the SB and is worth as much as they want for him