Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

17 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

I just get the feeling that Cousins will sign with the Vikings.

i'm not so sure about this yet. he would be putting himself in between rodgers and stafford. if he has bumps and doesn't get the in the playoffs right off the bat and every year, he's gonna look like a stink pickle. i'm hoping cle. or denver.

as to the rest of your post, i agree, we could be s. o. l. after pick no.6

Going back to its inception in 2004, the following QBs have posted a College Total QBR of 90 or higher:

• Pat White (almost entirely for his running ability)
  • Sam Bradford
  • Andrew Luck
  • Cam Newton 
  • Russell Wilson
  • Johnny Manziel 
  • Jameis Winston
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Baker Mayfield (the only player to do it twice)

With the obvious exceptions, that seems like pretty good company to keep, and is a pretty solid predictor of NFL success considering that 6 of the 8 guys who have done it have made pretty good NFL QBs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

that looks like it hurt.  Nice tackle BTW

Yeah, I'm sure he felt that in the morning. That video gives me hope in the kid. We know he can take a blow to the head... Behind our O-line being able to take a blow like that is the #1 feature I look at in. QB.

Edited by Paulus

10 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yeah, I'm sure he felt that in the morning. That video gives me hope in the kid. We know he can take a blow to the head... Behind our O-line being able to take a blow like that is the #1 feature I look at in. QB.

I wish I could pause that.  It looks like he hit his head pretty hard 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wish I could pause that.  It looks like he hit his head pretty hard 

On my phone, so best I can do is $3.50. The audio indicates what type of leader he is. He knows when his goose is cooked, but isn't a guy who takes much lying down. Also, no concussion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

PICK

BUF.png

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma

PROJECTED TRADE WITH BRONCOS. The Bills are willing to make a big move (giving up their two first-round picks this year plus a 2019 second-rounder) to get a quarterback after Sean McDermott falls in love with Mayfield's fiery demeanor. Denver is a willing trade partner after addressing the QB spot in free agency.

Four-round mock draft: Allen goes No. 1; Bills, Cardinals trade up

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

PICK

BUF.png

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma

PROJECTED TRADE WITH BRONCOS. The Bills are willing to make a big move (giving up their two first-round picks this year plus a 2019 second-rounder) to get a quarterback after Sean McDermott falls in love with Mayfield's fiery demeanor. Denver is a willing trade partner after addressing the QB spot in free agency.

Four-round mock draft: Allen goes No. 1; Bills, Cardinals trade up

IF Denver lands a QB.    They need to offload a lot of players to afford KC 

• Like (+1) 1

If you step back from the preseason hype of Darnold and Rosen it's easy to like Mayfield. Outside of his height he doesn't have any real concerns for me. Rosen has the attitude and concussions. Darnold looks like a damn robot with small hands. 

I'm coming around on Mayfield. He moves enough, throws with anticipation better than Darnold, fiery, NFL arm, haven't heard he is stupid in the classroom yet. 

I Love Mayfield I think he will be the best of this draft class. But Bean is on Record saying he wants a pocket QB that can get it done even if teams know he is in a must throw end of the game drive. So with that being said I think the Bills target is Josh Allen. This guy is a beast. He looks like Rothlesburger on steroids. My 3 favorite QB’s in this draft are Josh Allen, Mayfield and Jackson. I will be happy with any of those guys. 

6 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I think the Bills will have to get ahead of the Saints and Dolphins if they want Mayfield.

I heard Colin Cowherd today on his radio show do a top 10 trade for the 49ers at #9 with Buffalo so we could move up.

He had us draft Allen... which I would be disgusted with and I really really don't think or want to happen.

But if we did that and drafted Mayfield... super stoked!!!

And I just bothered looking at Jimmy Johnson's draft chart... I think they would trade back to us for both our firsts since the 9th pick is worth 1350 and the 21st and 22nd picks are worth 1580.

You can argue that's overpaying, but considering we'd still have 2 2nd rounders, 2 5th rounders and a 3rd and 4th round pick, I'd do it if we could ensure landing Mayfield.

2 hours ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

I Love Mayfield I think he will be the best of this draft class. But Bean is on Record saying he wants a pocket QB that can get it done even if teams know he is in a must throw end of the game drive. So with that being said I think the Bills target is Josh Allen. This guy is a beast. He looks like Rothlesburger on steroids. My 3 favorite QB’s in this draft are Josh Allen, Mayfield and Jackson. I will be happy with any of those guys. 

People here have been doing this ever since Beane got here as an argument for the next QB we draft.

Beane may have said that nearly a year ago, but people change their minds.  Or better yet, I don't think he said or meant that he would only exclusively consider a pocket QB.

32 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

People here have been doing this ever since Beane got here as an argument for the next QB we draft.

Beane may have said that nearly a year ago, but people change their minds.  Or better yet, I don't think he said or meant that he would only exclusively consider a pocket QB.

He may take a guy that can scramble if he needs to, but I think he primarily wants a pocket guy.  Wheels are great but only if you know when to use them.

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

hryEYn.gif

He ain't'no Russell Wilson. 

Obvioulsy he doesn't have the foot speed to out run defenders...  Also His pocket awareness was slow, those cops were already closing in on him when he decided ot run

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/08/baker-mayfield-draft-browns-jets-cardinals-dolphins-saints-giants-redskins-chargers-bills-broncos

Baker Mayfield’s 10 Potential Landing Spots

8. Buffalo Bills
Where they pick in Round 1: Nos. 21 and 22
Key player: Brandon Beane, general manager
I could see head coach Sean McDermott falling in love with Mayfield’s origin story—the two-time walk-on who won the Heisman. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll oversaw a run-heavy offense as Alabama’s coordinator last year but has a great deal of familiarity with the offensive concepts employed at Oklahoma and across the college football landscape. In McDermott’s first year in Buffalo’s war room, they demonstrated a willingness to deal picks at any juncture, in any direction, moving back 17 picks in the first round, then moving up seven picks in the second round to draft wide receiver Zay Jones, and moving up 12 picks into the bottom of the second round to select offensive lineman Dion Dawkins. If they’re kicking themselves for not using last year’s 10th overall pick (traded to Kansas City) on Patrick Mahomes, they can use the capital acquired in that deal to trade up and draft another former Texas Tech quarterback in Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor said in January the team has yet to inform him of his status going into 2018, but it’s safe to assume they’re in the market for a replacement after benching him for Nathan Peterman at one point last season.

The most interesting man in the (draft) world:

Combine confidential:

2560063.jpg

Baker Mayfield is one of the more intriguing players in this draft class -- and the most polarizing quarterback. As the combine was concluding, I asked a head coach for his biggest overall takeaway. He spotlighted Mayfield, saying he liked him the most on the field ... and the least off of it. Another head coach, whose team interviewed Mayfield, rolled his eyes and described the quarterback: "Cocky. Over-the-top cocky."

That feeling wasn't universal. "I love his fire," said a third head man, indicating that Mayfield shows the kind of emotion usually associated with leaders on the defensive side of the ball. A fourth head coach considered Mayfield a winner who shows toughness and natural leadership.

And finally, a fifth head coach said he has "no issues" with Mayfield "because the football speaks for itself."

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-combine%2F0ap3000000919180%2FCombine-Whiteboard-Baker-Mayfield-gets-personal-with-Steve-Mariucci

side note:

Rosen passes speed-dating test:

2560059.jpg

On Thursday, Josh Rosen told reporters that he wanted everyone at the combine to leave Indy understanding how much he loves football and that he plays for his teammates. On the same day, a head coach (who likes Mayfield) said he needed to do more work on Rosen. "You want to work with somebody you can work with," he said. "You don't want to have friction all the time." A GM wondered, "Is he likable?"

I got the feeling Rosen helped himself in Indianapolis.

"I liked him," one evaluator told me. Another said, "Really good interview. Really good. Engaging. He made us laugh." That's a plus during those 15-minute, speed-dating combine interviews.

QB class defined by Qs: One evaluator -- whose team does not need a quarterback -- offered a succinct view of the QBs: "It feels like there's a lot of risk in this class."

In case you were wondering ... While evaluators wanted Sam Darnold to throw and Lamar Jackson to run in Indy, no one seemed overly bothered by either opt-out decision.

"I just don't understand why [Darnold] isn't throwing," one GM did say.

"I don't freak out about that stuff," another GM told me. "We'll see them at their pro day."

So, we'll move on.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Damn... we aren't "flying him in"... ?

Smokescreen?

Mind already made up?

We love him?

We hate him?

Which is it?!  I want to know!!!  :blink:

Add DEN to the list.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

59 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Damn... we aren't "flying him in"... ?

Smokescreen?

Mind already made up?

We love him?

We hate him?

Which is it?!  I want to know!!!  :blink:

no personal visit in buffalo, while visiting other teams does bring the question as to how much or how little interest they may have in him.

any news of any of the others visiting buffalo?

He's not the top QB like Darnold, he's not a idiot like Rosen, he's doesn't have the strongest arm in a decade like Allen and he isn't a controversial questionable QB /WR like Jackson, he should be our pick, no doubt in my mind, however we may not be able to get far enough up to get him.

Edited by greeneblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

His height isn't ideal ..his footwork is atrocious ..didn't really play in a pro style system ..supposedly didn't interview well ..now does that mean he won't be a star no..but there's question marks about him 

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

He's not the top QB like Darnold, he's not a idiot like Rosen, he's doesn't have the strongest arm in a decade like Allen and he isn't a controversial questionable QB /WR like Jackson, he should be our pick, no doubt in my mind, however we may not be able to get far enough up to get him.

Ironic grammar aside, can you elaborate on this?

• Like (+1) 1

Rosen or Mayfield are the only two that would be worth trading up for imo.  Rosen is my first choice as I feel like I'm watching Eli Manning the UCLA games I saw this year.  Just a polished, accurate passer with a high football IQ.  Unfortunately, I think Eli will be Rosen's mentor despite some reports out of New York they may pass on a QB.

Edited by Doc Brown

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember the 2012 draft and wanting Russell Wilson in the 1st rd. He only dropped because of his height, if you watched him play you knew he was going to be a good QB. I remember being at a Mustangs game watching Jimmy G and just being blown away. Derek Carr is another QB that I wanted in the 1st rd, I would say that all 3 of the QB's that I mentioned are better than any of the QB's in this draft. I would say there is a very good chance Mayfield, Allen and Rudolph could be there when we pick at 21.

I believe you might have been the only one that wanted him in round 1. Could be wrong

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, John from Riverside said:

We will be lucky to get the next Russel Wilson

I think the next Russell Wilson plays in Tuscaloosa and is left handed true sophomore this coming season We might have to tank in 19 to get him. JK

A month ago I was highest on Allen.  Now I am ok with any of the top 5.  To me I would rank it.  Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfiled and Jackson.  Rosen to me looks like a young Eli or Matt Ryan.  I dont think he will blow people away in shorts but week 1 he will have the ability to have the most success.  I like Darnold and Allen for their size and arm strength.  Both have the potential to be big Ben.  My biggest concern with Mayfiled is maturity and readiness to be a starting qb in the NFL.  If Buffalo was a warmer city or they are building a dome I would rank Mayfiled higher.  Jackson intrigues me alot and he is much better passer than he gets credit being.  Ironiclly, I could see him slide end up on a good team and win rookie of the year.

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. The Bills make it four quarterbacks in the top 10 by trading up to land Mayfield, who is as good a bet as any to be the first QB off the board or fourth. He'd be a great fit in Buffalo, and I can see the Bills wanting to get ahead of Miami and deny their division rivals the chance to draft him while potentially fixing their QB situation for good. For purposes of this mock, we'll say the Bills' 2019 first-rounder is the main asset going back to Oakland in addition to No. 21.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. The Bills make it four quarterbacks in the top 10 by trading up to land Mayfield, who is as good a bet as any to be the first QB off the board or fourth. He'd be a great fit in Buffalo, and I can see the Bills wanting to get ahead of Miami and deny their division rivals the chance to draft him while potentially fixing their QB situation for good. For purposes of this mock, we'll say the Bills' 2019 first-rounder is the main asset going back to Oakland in addition to No. 21.

I wouldn't have one iota of issue with this trade.