Difference between Jackson and Taylor

So some are worried or scared that Lamar Jackson will turn out to be another Tyrod Taylor.. So i Thought I would post both stats and let you decide.

Tyrod Taylor

PASSING Stats
YEAR   CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

72 134 53.7 927 6.9 5 59 3 119.7

99 173 57.2 1036 6.0 2 40 7 103.2

136 243 56.0 2311 9.5 13 81 5 149.4

188 315 59.7 2743 8.7 24 69 5 154.8
RUSHING Stats
YEAR   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD

102 420 4.1 52 6

147 738 5.0 73 7

106 370 3.5 46 5

146 659 4.5 72

Lamar Jackson 

PASSING Stats
YEAR   CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

254 430 59.1 3660 8.5 27 78 10 146.6

230 409 56.2 3543 8.7 30 74 9 148.8

135 247 54.7 1840 7.4 12 56 8 126.8
RUSHING Stats
YEAR   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD

232 1601 6.9 75 18

260 1571 6.0 72 21

163 960 5.9 73

Notes

1. Jackson is coming out 1 year early but played as starting QB in college 1 year more so thus Jackson comes out more experienced.

2. Jackson best year Passing + Rushing yard total is 5,602 Yards total. Tyrods Total yards on his best year? 3,402 yards. Yes different conference different system but damn.

3. Taylor best year he threw the ball 315 times and 5 INT. Jackson best year threw the ball 430 times with 10 INT.

4. Taylor best year in TD's he had a total of 29 TD's. Jackson total TD's on his best year was 51.

5. Taylor was drafted in 6th round. Jackson is picked to be drafted in round 1 or 2.

So with this info in mind I ask you.. Is Lamar Jackson another Vic, Taylor? Or do you think he will be much better?

Thoughts

• Like (+1) 2

If we did draft Jackson, I'd want to take advantage of him as a runner, I think it'd be a mistake not to. Run option, spread offense and of course sprinkles of a pro style offense. I do think he'll be way better than Taylor, but I don't think he'll ever be a 4,000 yard passer, he may get you 4,000 yards rushing/passing combined, maybe he could grow as a passer as time goes on, but forcing him to be a pocket QB early in his career is a really bad idea.

55 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Another Vick.     Might work, might not.  

That's what I am wondering.

50 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a sure thing, but who is? I'd take a shot at him in the right spot. To me, that's outside of the top 20. I'm pretty sure he's a LOT better than Taylor ever was. 

I agree its a crap shoot. What would be your "spot"

43 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

If we did draft Jackson, I'd want to take advantage of him as a runner, I think it'd be a mistake not to. Run option, spread offense and of course sprinkles of a pro style offense. I do think he'll be way better than Taylor, but I don't think he'll ever be a 4,000 yard passer, he may get you 4,000 yards rushing/passing combined, maybe he could grow as a passer as time goes on, but forcing him to be a pocket QB early in his career is a really bad idea.

You mean like taking advantage of Tyrods running abilities? how that working out?

24 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

TT threw less interceptions though!

Tyrod came out a bit more accurate yes.

7 minutes ago, jr1 said:

I like this clip because it shows his escapability and arm strength 

I can show you a few Tyrod whipped down field also. watch both.

I don't dislike Jackson, my view on him is the same as it is on Allen, Rudolph and to a lesser extent Darnold: there are a lot of things to like, but there are a bunch of issues that are directly related to how they play, be it inaccurate passing or a tendency to turn the ball over. IMO Rosen and Mayfield are a cut above the rest in terms of accuracy and have all the tools that translate to being a good QB in general. That said, Rosen's 2 concussions worry me and there's always the question of whether Mayfield's height will affect him at the next level. There's no surefire way to predict future success, the only thing you can do to maximize the chance you find a franchise QB is to pick someone with as little risk on the field as possible. For that reason and that reason only I think Rosen and Mayfield are the two best QBs in the draft. The other 4 could all be successful, but I would feel most comfortable with someone who I know can play the position at a high level and who I'm not depending on massive growth in order for them to be successful. I think those two have the highest floors. Unlike other years where the safer pick may not have the same ceiling as other QBs, I think Rosen and Mayfield have the same potential as the other four but with less risk. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't dislike Jackson, my view on him is the same as it is on Allen, Rudolph and to a lesser extent Darnold: there are a lot of things to like, but there are a bunch of issues that are directly related to how they play, be it inaccurate passing or a tendency to turn the ball over. IMO Rosen and Mayfield are a cut above the rest in terms of accuracy and have all the tools that translate to being a good QB in general. That said, Rosen's 2 concussions worry me and there's always the question of whether Mayfield's height will affect him at the next level. There's no surefire way to predict future success, the only thing you can do to maximize the chance you find a franchise QB is to pick someone with as little risk on the field as possible. For that reason and that reason only I think Rosen and Mayfield are the two best QBs in the draft. The other 4 could all be successful, but I would feel most comfortable with someone who I know can play the position at a high level and who I'm not depending on massive growth in order for them to be successful. I think those two have the highest floors.    

Fair Observation

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Call it a hunch, but the more I think about Jackson, the more I feel like he'll be wearing aqua and orange come May...

Miami huh? lol

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Another Vick.

This is such a lazy statement.  No he is not another Vick.  There was one Michael Vick.  Damn good quarterback who let his personal life kill any chance of sustained NFL success. Well that and playing for/in Atlanta

By all accounts Jackson seems to have some character to him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, simool said:

This is such a lazy statement.  No he is not another Vick.  There was one Michael Vick.  Damn good quarterback who let his personal life kill any chance of sustained NFL success. Well that and playing for/in Atlanta

so you know we are talking about on the field not off right?

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so you know we are talking about on the field not off right?

I do. Still a lazy statement.  Thats like saying Allen is another Ryan Leaf.  You never hear that crap uttered about white qb's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, simool said:

I do. Still a lazy statement.  Thats like saying Allen is another Ryan Leaf.  You never hear that crap uttered about white qb's.

I think you need to read up to op. Original Question is he another Tyrod/Vic or not? he said Vic. I think you need to skip the drama. he only answered my question and the question at hand was concerning ON field. Everyone knows he is not another Vic off the field. please skip the drama.

Edited by PrimeTime101

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think you need to read up to op. Original Question is he another Tyrod/Vic or not? he said Vic. I think you need to skip the drama. he only answered my question

So I quoted the wrong post.  You are the one with lazy correlations.  I think you need to skip the correlations ace. You suck at it.

21 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

You mean like taking advantage of Tyrods running abilities? how that working out?

And that's a fair criticism, one I thought of myself before I posted, although I think Jackson will be better as a runner and as a passer than Tyrod, but their styles are one in the same. If you want a rhythm pocket passer, I don't think Lamar Jackson will ever be that guy.

26 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

My spot would be outside of the top twenty. I'd take Jackson, but wouldn't want to move up and maybe even a move down. That's still probably higher than many would say, but I'd take the chance because the need is great and the talent is unique. He'll never be a pocket passer or rhythm thrower and a seven step drop might night happen for awhile . 

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

And that's a fair criticism, one I thought of myself before I posted, although I think Jackson will be better as a runner and as a passer than Tyrod, but their styles are one in the same. If you want a rhythm pocket passer, I don't think Lamar Jackson will ever be that guy.

To the OP

Thank you for taking the time to post the information.

Their styles are similar is that they are both duel threat qbs......I think were things get mucked down in debate are the things that are holding Tyrod back from actually being that qb that a team wouldnt part with for picks if they were offered.

I think that Lamar is more of what people are looking for that dont like TT more then they think.....but I also understand that we are presented with an opportunity to maybe get a pure pocket passer like Rosen and hope that he is a guy that can carry a team.

I present that a QB can carry a team in different ways as long as a defense cant bottle them up and force them to throw from a pocket when they dont want to....I think Lamar can actually do that......he scores more point on his arm which is evidenced in the stats that you have presented......but also gives the added element of forcing teams to be accountable for him as a runner.

I like him....I like Rosen better but I like him........

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To the OP

Thank you for taking the time to post the information.

Their styles are similar is that they are both duel threat qbs......I think were things get mucked down in debate are the things that are holding Tyrod back from actually being that qb that a team wouldnt part with for picks if they were offered.

I think that Lamar is more of what people are looking for that dont like TT more then they think.....but I also understand that we are presented with an opportunity to maybe get a pure pocket passer like Rosen and hope that he is a guy that can carry a team.

I present that a QB can carry a team in different ways as long as a defense cant bottle them up and force them to throw from a pocket when they dont want to....I think Lamar can actually do that......he scores more point on his arm which is evidenced in the stats that you have presented......but also gives the added element of forcing teams to be accountable for him as a runner.

I like him....I like Rosen better but I like him........

Under the right scenario I'd take him at 21. The risk/reward ratio is worth it imo.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Jackson actually throws people open and takes chances unlike TT and unlike Vick he’s more than comfortable sitting in the pocket than bailing.

I’d be really happy if we drafted him. Special talent and he’s a special kid too.

FeelingOnYouboty! My man... ?

I agree, I also feel like he's more committed to the game then Mike Vick. 

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

"People said the same thing about Cam..." you know who said ☝️?this comment?

Brandon Beane...on WGR Thurs morning.

26 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

My spot would be outside of the top twenty. I'd take Jackson, but wouldn't want to move up and maybe even a move down. That's still probably higher than many would say, but I'd take the chance because the need is great and the talent is unique. He'll never be a pocket passer or rhythm thrower and a seven step drop might night happen for awhile . 

In watching the Combine, Mayock frequently pointed out how Josh Allen had a great stride to his drop which would put him in a great position in the pocket while Jackson took shorter steps and only went back about 5 yards.  That's something that could be taught.

Still, if the Bills do not move up for one of the top 4, I'd be OK taking a Jackson or Rudolph at 21.

58 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

But what none of your comments & the other posters YouTube clips doesn't show you is his leadership skills, & his ability to get better from 2nd to 3rd year. Something Tyrod failed to do. Jackson is growing & he got better as a thrower... & is still getting better. 

I wanted DeShaun Watson for this exact reason... cause he was still growing. Taylor isn't growing, he has no more growth available. He is who he is now... Jackson isn't. Plus he can run our offense!

Lamar Jackson steals show at NFL Combine, meets with Buffalo Bills | NewYorkUpstate.com
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/lamar_jackson_steals_show_at_nfl_combine_meets_with_buffalo_bills.html

""When asked which teams he met with, the Buffalo Bills were the first team he mentioned. Jackson ran the Erhardt-Perkins offense at Louisville. That happens to be the same offense Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is scholed in. Jackson is more than confident he can command that offense in the NFL, too."

Nuff said...

29 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

FeelingOnYouboty! My man... ?

I agree, I also feel like he's more committed to the game then Mike Vick. 

"People said the same thing about Cam..." you know who said ☝️?this comment?

Brandon Beane...on WGR Thurs morning.

Which I don't understand, Cam only threw for 4k+ one time in his entire career. His career passing % is 58.5%. Is Cam Newton the standard for passing?

1 hour ago, simool said:

If it makes you feel any better, I dislike Jackson and Mayfield equally.  I think they'll both be lackluster NFL players.

If it isn't Rosen, Darnold or Allen, I hope Beane passes on a QB in round 1. 

Edited by Chicken Boo

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, simool said:

Um... He is almost a Vick clone on the field.  Look at that clip, he even has the same type of throwing style as Vick.  I don't think he will be as good as Vick but as if you are comparing him to another player that has come before him, Vick is the comparison and they are more alike each other than 99% of comparisons you can make.

That said this clip is exactly why someone could get suckered into falling in love with a pretty bad passer in Jackson.  He might make these plays from time to time, this one against one of the worst division 1 teams this year in North Carolina, but how does he look on his 15-20 yard out routes the sidelines.  This clip is flashy, but it gives you little insight to the type of passer Jackson really is.  Very misleading.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Which I don't understand, Cam only threw for 4k+ one time in his entire career. His career passing % is 58.5%. Is Cam Newton the standard for passing?

Part of that is the questionable offensive direction in Carolina. I don't think it's Cam. Most of these coaches are boneheads :flirt:

Edited by Scorp83

1 minute ago, Scorp83 said:

Part of that is the questionable offensive direction in Carolina. I don't think it's Cam. Most of these coaches are boneheads

I think black QBs are held to lower standards. You have guys like Kirk Cousins throw 4,000 yards back to back to back and he is only a top 12-15 QB. Cam Newton throws for 4,000 once in 7 years and he is hailed as an 'elite' franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I think black QBs are held to lower standards. You have guys like Kirk Cousins throw 4,000 yards back to back to back and he is only a top 12-15 QB. Cam Newton throws for 4,000 once in 7 years and he is hailed as an 'elite' franchise QB. 

Cause Cam adds is different dimension to his game. Which makes Cam a superstar, Cousins can be avg at times. Cam worst game will probably be 1 passing TD & 1 rushing TD. 

3 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Cause Cam adds is different dimension to his game. Which makes Cam a superstar, Cousins can be avg at times. Cam worst game will probably be 1 passing TD & 1 rushing TD. 

And then we have Lamar Jackson over Mason Rudolph, I mean are we serious? Jackson throwing for 4,000 yards is just as likely as Ivanka Trump giving me a BJ.

18 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

And then we have Lamar Jackson over Mason Rudolph, I mean are we serious? Jackson throwing for 4,000 yards is just as likely as Ivanka Trump giving me a BJ.

Rudolph has a higher floor but Jackson has a hugher celign.

Id take Rudolph at 21 if we can score some OT and OG help in FA.

Jackson almost doubled Tyrods stats in college and i preech the CoT.

Tyrod was a late round pick. Jackson is a projected late 1st rounder.

13 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Rudolph has a higher floor but Jackson has a hugher celign.

Id take Rudolph at 21 if we can score some OT and OG help in FA.

Jackson almost doubled Tyrods stats in college and i preech the CoT.

Tyrod was a late round pick. Jackson is a projected late 1st rounder.

Rudolph I could see throwing for 4,000 many times over his career, he has the higher ceiling. I think Jackson can accumulate 4,000 yards passing and rushing combined, but not with just his arm. If you bottle up Jackson in the pocket and force him to throw, I don't think he can carry you with his arm, Rudolph can.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe Jackson is a better athlete and QB than Rudolph--if they are both available at 21, I would be very happy with Jackson, not so much with picking Rudolph at that stop. Skip him, draft other needs.

But of course, all that may be a mute point depending on what we do, if anything, in free agency.

Edited by CSBill