Difference between Jackson and Taylor

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I believe Jackson is a better athlete and QB than Rudolph--if they are both available at 21, I would be very happy with Jackson, not so much with picking Rudolph at that stop. Skip him, draft other needs.

But of course, all that may be a mute point depending on what we do, if anything, in free agency.

Not just better than Rudolph. The more I watch all of these QBs, the more I think Jackson will be the best of the bunch.

He does have NFL passing skills, he's extremely elusive, huge play making ability, very likable guy, he will have a ton of support, the Bills have staff from Carolina so they will know what to do with him to have him succeed.

I think that draft season becomes like an echo chamber where everyone wants things to stay as they were, QBs should stay in the boxes/labels that they were deemed to always be as a QB. I heard some media guys saying that Jackson looked sketchy as a passer in the passing drills. I didn't see that. Yes there were a few misfires, but he showed me that he can make effortless NFL throws. Dude has an arm, and he's not afraid to use it as seen in college.

There's something about each guy at the top of the QB rankings that just doesn't feel right. To me, Jackson just looks like he's going to be a star and everybody is missing it just like they did with Watson.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In Taylor’s defense, he played for a very conservative HC not known to have dynamic and creative offenses. Clearly, Jackson is the more explosive athlete and he has a better arm but he was also aided by an offensive mind who knew how to take advantage of his skill set and minimize his flaws. 

Jackson is a better playmaker but he is also more mistake prone. Taylor rarely turned over the ball but Jackson will make a few off target throws (usually high) that will end up as ints in the Nfl.

I see Jackson as a qb that can play and be effective immediately but there won’t be much progression as a passer (players generally are who they are at this point). As defenses better scheme against Jackson he will likely struggle to adjust because he has been a 1-2 read then run player his whole career. 

That said, with a creative offensive mind Jackson could be a lot of fun to watch for a few years and should at least be a mid range starter with a good OC because he has freakish gifts as as runner and thrower. 

Edited by racketmaster

7 hours ago, simool said:

This is such a lazy statement.  No he is not another Vick.  There was one Michael Vick.  Damn good quarterback who let his personal life kill any chance of sustained NFL success. Well that and playing for/in Atlanta

By all accounts Jackson seems to have some character to him.

7 hours ago, simool said:

I do. Still a lazy statement.  Thats like saying Allen is another Ryan Leaf.  You never hear that crap uttered about white qb's.

2018  “Let’s be offended by everything” 

Grab a tissue, I’m sorry he runs and throws bombs like Vick. 

Read this Simool 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917231/article/mike-vick-calls-qb-lamar-jackson-a-spitting-image-of-me

Then hold this 

B02105EA-8654-4211-9B6E-E48F6BB82305.png

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

And then we have Lamar Jackson over Mason Rudolph, I mean are we serious? Jackson throwing for 4,000 yards is just as likely as Ivanka Trump giving me a BJ.

I disagree! Jackson has a way higher ceiling then Rudolph. Almost everyone says his floor is higher then everyone in the draft, it's just he's not ready to start right away...him & Darnold. I love Rosen & Mayfield, but with the right team Jackson is better then both of them. He's better the Watson... & Mayfield & Rosen probably won't reach that ceiling. Rosen is more Matt Ryan/Stafford & Mayfield is Wilson. Watson was a top 5 QB & he's not even fully developed...scary.... & Jackson is better then him! ? Rudolph is Cousins at best 

1 hour ago, 1billsfan said:

Not just better than Rudolph. The more I watch all of these QBs, the more I think Jackson will be the best of the bunch.

He does have NFL passing skills, he's extremely elusive, huge play making ability, very likable guy, he will have a ton of support, the Bills have staff from Carolina so they will know what to do with him to have him succeed.

I think that draft season becomes like an echo chamber where everyone wants things to stay as they were, QBs should stay in the boxes/labels that they were deemed to always be as a QB. I heard some media guys saying that Jackson looked sketchy as a passer in the passing drills. I didn't see that. Yes there were a few misfires, but he showed me that he can make effortless NFL throws. Dude has an arm, and he's not afraid to use it as seen in college.

There's something about each guy at the top of the QB rankings that just doesn't feel right. To me, Jackson just looks like he's going to be a star and everybody is missing it just like they did with Watson.

This ☝️?

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Read this Simool 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917231/article/mike-vick-calls-qb-lamar-jackson-a-spitting-image-of-me

Then hold this 

????

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To the OP

Thank you for taking the time to post the information.

Their styles are similar is that they are both duel threat qbs......I think were things get mucked down in debate are the things that are holding Tyrod back from actually being that qb that a team wouldnt part with for picks if they were offered.

I think that Lamar is more of what people are looking for that dont like TT more then they think.....but I also understand that we are presented with an opportunity to maybe get a pure pocket passer like Rosen and hope that he is a guy that can carry a team.

I present that a QB can carry a team in different ways as long as a defense cant bottle them up and force them to throw from a pocket when they dont want to....I think Lamar can actually do that......he scores more point on his arm which is evidenced in the stats that you have presented......but also gives the added element of forcing teams to be accountable for him as a runner.

I like him....I like Rosen better but I like him........

Oh your welcome, I think this Has come up quite often. Leadership part I agree. Lamar is a great leader in the huddle and as far as possible pocket passer? I think that if you are picking him up in draft hoping for that then your being risky. To be honest with you I like him to but damn. I am not going to be happy till he throws in the NFL lol..

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Um... He is almost a Vick clone on the field.  Look at that clip, he even has the same type of throwing style as Vick.  I don't think he will be as good as Vick but as if you are comparing him to another player that has come before him, Vick is the comparison and they are more alike each other than 99% of comparisons you can make.

That said this clip is exactly why someone could get suckered into falling in love with a pretty bad passer in Jackson.  He might make these plays from time to time, this one against one of the worst division 1 teams this year in North Carolina, but how does he look on his 15-20 yard out routes the sidelines.  This clip is flashy, but it gives you little insight to the type of passer Jackson really is.  Very misleading.

Yep totally agree and this is why I put Vic on my post cause he throws just like him. And yes. he was a good COLLEGE player in one of the worst divisions. On that note I do like him but not in first round.

7 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

But what none of your comments & the other posters YouTube clips doesn't show you is his leadership skills, & his ability to get better from 2nd to 3rd year. Something Tyrod failed to do. Jackson is growing & he got better as a thrower... & is still getting better. 

I wanted DeShaun Watson for this exact reason... cause he was still growing. Taylor isn't growing, he has no more growth available. He is who he is now... Jackson isn't. Plus he can run our offense!

Lamar Jackson steals show at NFL Combine, meets with Buffalo Bills | NewYorkUpstate.com
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/lamar_jackson_steals_show_at_nfl_combine_meets_with_buffalo_bills.html

""When asked which teams he met with, the Buffalo Bills were the first team he mentioned. Jackson ran the Erhardt-Perkins offense at Louisville. That happens to be the same offense Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is scholed in. Jackson is more than confident he can command that offense in the NFL, too."

Nuff said...

Every QB out of the NFL that is drafted early has same confidence.. Confidence means nothing if you cant put up the numbers. I think he is a risk.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Read this Simool 

Then hold this 

TY TY TY. Totally agree but he wont get it lol..

1 hour ago, 1billsfan said:

I think your one of the few that feel this. He has an arm with accuracy issues. He played in a weaker conference. But I love your confidence and thanks for replying.

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Vick didn’t throw or run for near what Jackson did. 

Right but he was in a different conference. you guys got to remember this.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Oh your welcome, I think this Has come up quite often. Leadership part I agree. Lamar is a great leader in the huddle and as far as possible pocket passer? I think that if you are picking him up in draft hoping for that then your being risky. To be honest with you I like him to but damn. I am not going to be happy till he throws in the NFL lol..

Yep totally agree and this is why I put Vic on my post cause he throws just like him. And yes. he was a good COLLEGE player in one of the worst divisions. On that note I do like him but not in first round.

Every QB out of the NFL that is drafted early has same confidence.. Confidence means nothing if you cant put up the numbers. I think he is a risk.

I think your one of the few that feel this. He has an arm with accuracy issues. He played in a weaker conference. But I love your confidence and thanks for replying.

He isn't Tyrod Taylor... he's better then Taylor. He doubles Tyrod in every aspect of his game. You know who doesn't have confidence? Tyrod! Everything about Jackson is better then Tyrod. 

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Yea but Jackson put up some eye popping offense just himself. 

1 minute ago, Scorp83 said:

He isn't Tyrod Taylor... he's better then Taylor. He doubles Tyrod in every aspect of his game. You know who doesn't have confidence? Tyrod! Everything about Jackson is better then Tyrod. 

Next time you edit quote please just put what I said to you cause you make it look awful...

So I want your Crystal ball that this guy has not played a day in the NFL and you know by fact he will be better then Taylor..  You can think he will be better but you cant be blatant about it

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Yea but Jackson put up some eye popping offense just himself. 

and that's why I feel Jackson is a 2nd round prospect and Taylor went in 6th.. Key word here though.. Prospect. You still have to out weigh the risk with reward

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't dislike Jackson, my view on him is the same as it is on Allen, Rudolph and to a lesser extent Darnold: there are a lot of things to like, but there are a bunch of issues that are directly related to how they play, be it inaccurate passing or a tendency to turn the ball over. IMO Rosen and Mayfield are a cut above the rest in terms of accuracy and have all the tools that translate to being a good QB in general. That said, Rosen's 2 concussions worry me and there's always the question of whether Mayfield's height will affect him at the next level. There's no surefire way to predict future success, the only thing you can do to maximize the chance you find a franchise QB is to pick someone with as little risk on the field as possible. For that reason and that reason only I think Rosen and Mayfield are the two best QBs in the draft. The other 4 could all be successful, but I would feel most comfortable with someone who I know can play the position at a high level and who I'm not depending on massive growth in order for them to be successful. I think those two have the highest floors. Unlike other years where the safer pick may not have the same ceiling as other QBs, I think Rosen and Mayfield have the same potential as the other four but with less risk. 

I think mayfield height is pretty good at 6”1.. I also like that kid attitude. Hopefully he does end up being a good QB

• Like (+1) 1

We don't have enough Jackson threads on the board.  We can never have enough Jackson threads until draft day.  Please start more.

Just raggin' I appreciate the work

Jackson passed for significantly more yardage in college.

The main difference I see is in the college film I can find of Taylor (a lot of highlights), Taylor would tend to roll out and run where Jackson will step up (sometimes into a lane where he could run), reset and throw.  I also see Jackson in college making more progressions and throwing with more anticipation than I saw Taylor doing.   

My understanding is that the Hokies when Taylor was there were more of a spread/RPO offense whereas Petrino in Louisville runs a more pro-style offense albeit not often under center.  But I feel confident someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, I think Taylor still struggles with reads and progressions, which is why he holds onto the ball so much - he doesn't trust what he sees.

6 minutes ago, Joaquin1119 said:

I think mayfield height is pretty good at 6”1.. I also like that kid attitude. Hopefully he does end up being a good QB

Thought he measured 6 ft 1/8" don't exaggerate

• Like (+1) 1

NFL combine

winners/losers: Josh Allen trumps Rosen, Jackson

Losers: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville:

Despite being the most explosive athlete in the quarterback class, the former Heisman Trophy winner decided to bypass the 40 and the rest of the athletic testing drills. Jackson wanted to put the focus on his passing skills during the throwing portion of the workout, but he was unable to string together pinpoint passes for most of the day. Part of his accuracy issues can be attributed to his inconsistent footwork and base, which remain a concern after watching him work out in Indy. Jackson needs to continue to refine his game as a passer to become a proficient QB who is capable of shredding defenses from the pocket. Without a strong athletic performance to offset his passing issues, Jackson missed out on a chance to show the football world how he could impact the game as an explosive dual-threat play maker.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, simool said:

I do. Still a lazy statement.  Thats like saying Allen is another Ryan Leaf.  You never hear that crap uttered about white qb's.

Ok Allen is the next Ryan Leaf...

Rosen is the next Jay Cutler...

Jackson is the next Russel Wilson...

better?  Lol

I agree though, everyone is the next themselves, let's stop putting expectations on young kids, let them carve out who they are going to be

Edited by JinxedBill1
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

NFL combine

Despite being the most explosive athlete in the quarterback class, the former Heisman Trophy winner decided to bypass the 40 and the rest of the athletic testing drills. Jackson wanted to put the focus on his passing skills during the throwing portion of the workout, but he was unable to string together pinpoint passes for most of the day. Part of his accuracy issues can be attributed to his inconsistent footwork and base, which remain a concern after watching him work out in Indy. Jackson needs to continue to refine his game as a passer to become a proficient QB who is capable of shredding defenses from the pocket. Without a strong athletic performance to offset his passing issues, Jackson missed out on a chance to show the football world how he could impact the game as an explosive dual-threat play maker.

Bucky Brooks is ridiculous with this take. Jackson showed that he can make all of the throws and make it look effortless. He did show some inconsistencies with a few bad passes, but he proved he can make the throws the NFL is looking for in a franchise QB. He seems highly coachable and improved every year in college. Same thing can happen in the pros. Man do they love to pick these guys apart. LOL

As for ragging on his inconsistent passing efforts, I just read or heard that Jackson (21) is two years younger than Russell Wilson (23) was when he was drafted, yet he's three inches taller, heavier, and had seven more combined TDs than Wilson did in his last year in college. Just imagine how much better (i.e. accurate, consistent) Jackson will be when he's 23 years old.

These guys always overlook the obvious, every year, just like they did with DeSean Watson and Pat Mahomes. They are obsessed with drop back passers from an era that, like it or not, is going away in the NFL sooner than later. The college game refuses to use the pro method of developing QB of that mold. The Bills need to embrace the future and just draft Jackson.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, simool said:

This is such a lazy statement.  No he is not another Vick.  There was one Michael Vick.  Damn good quarterback who let his personal life kill any chance of sustained NFL success. Well that and playing for/in Atlanta

By all accounts Jackson seems to have some character to him.

Mike Vick played for how many years after he was jailed?

Vick, by most standards, had a good NFL career. 

25 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Bucky Brooks is ridiculous with this take. Jackson showed that he can make all of the throws and make it look effortless. He did show some inconsistencies with a few bad passes, but he proved he can make the throws the NFL is looking for in a franchise QB. He seems highly coachable and improved every year in college. Same thing can happen in the pros. Man do they love to pick these guys apart. LOL

As for ragging on his inconsistent passing efforts, I just read or heard that Jackson (21) is two years younger than Russell Wilson (23) was when he was drafted, yet he's three inches taller, heavier, and had seven more combined TDs than Wilson did in his last year in college. Just imagine how much better (i.e. accurate, consistent) Jackson will be when he's 23 years old.

These guys always overlook the obvious, every year, just like they did with DeSean Watson and Pat Mahomes. They are obsessed with drop back passers from an era that, like it or not, is going away in the NFL sooner than later. The college game refuses to use the pro method of developing QB of that mold. The Bills need to embrace the future and just draft Jackson.

Wilson was still a much more accurate QB from the pocket when he was drafted.

9 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Lamar Jackson steals show at NFL Combine, meets with Buffalo Bills | NewYorkUpstate.com
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/lamar_jackson_steals_show_at_nfl_combine_meets_with_buffalo_bills.html

He may have stollen the interview show but I didn't see that in the underware portion of the event....

20 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Mike Vick played for how many years after he was jailed?

Vick, by most standards, had a good NFL career. 

Wilson was still a much more accurate QB from the pocket when he was drafted.

Vick def had a good career overall, he was in MVP talk that one year in Philly, shame about how much wasted potential way left on the table with him though

Wilson was also a sub 69% comp guy who jumped to almost 73% his last season when he transferred to Wisconsin

He had a "leap" in his accuracy, seemingly overnight

I wonder if Jackson can do the same?

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

NFL combine

I'm really getting annoyed by the "spin doctors" here.  I sat there and watched QB combine workouts.  I saw a deep R throw by Allen where the WR had to adjust further to the R and the ball was too long for him went off his hands.  They were all over "strong effortless throw".  Similar throw by Jackson where the WR had to adjust but the ball was caught "poor throw, excellent catch".  I'm nowhere near a pundit when things are moving full speed, but when I have tape and can back up and replay,  even I can "get it" and I swear, if you turned off the sound and cut out the QB, you could not distinguish one as great and one as "poor".  I saw some pretty pinpoint throws by Jackson, and some bad ones - but I saw a too-high throw from Mayfield where they're all to the WR "you're 6'2" you got to catch that" and with Jackson all about the bad throw (it was similarly overthrown). 

Again, this is not to puff up Jackson and say he's great, but I think if you shuffled some of the throws (and didn't say who the QB was) the pundits would be all confused about what to say on each throw just like the famous "oenophile blind taste test"  .  It's very annoying to folks like myself who are trying to educate ourselves and improve our football knowledge.

I liked what I saw of Jackson's footwork and timing in his drops because in the bits of game film where he's throwing from under center, it did NOT look good - his timing was off and he just stood there at the top of his drop - awkward.  He looked much better and smoother (from the footwork perspective) yesterday.

• Thank you (+1) 1