Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The moon is flat like a giant round of cheese.  

So who do you think  you are kidding?   :D

i'll have you know, there is a reason why we have not gone back to the moon. 

and it's not because it's made of cheese....

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's probably one of the ways the Phoenecians and Greeks figured it out.  The other being the altitude of celestial bodies over the horizon.  

It’s definitely one of the ways. Ancient mariners knew the earth was round by observing ship masts growing longer as they appeared over the horizon and moved closer. The most illiterate sailors knew the earth was round thousands of years ago. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm aware this isn't the forum, but let me say...for 10's of thousands of years, thru ancient, and advanced technological societies, it was a well known fact that the earth was flat. For any christian or Muslim out there, read your texts.

God created the "firmament" and the waters ABOVE AND BELOW.  Van Allen asteroid belt? No true picture( all earth photos are "artist renderings")? All of the sudden, 500 years ago, after THOUSANDS OF YEARS of knowledge and technology, somebody comes along with a midel that 'works' for the church and everything changes? Who was more advanced? Us, today? Or Mayans.or Egyptians? 

Just food for thought.  Carry on??

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

It’s definitely one of the ways. Ancient mariners knew the earth was round by observing ship masts growing longer as they appeared over the horizon and moved closer. The most illiterate sailors knew the earth was round thousands of years ago. 

Which is why I mentioned the Phoenecians earlier as a possibility, as they were the great sea traders of the early Iron Age.  But as the Greek's source of knowledge, it's almost entirely apocryphal.  The derivation of the spherical Earth from Hellenic astronomy is much better documented.

Likewise, Stonehenge and the Pyramids demonstrate sufficient knowledge of astronomy that their builders could have reasonably concluded that the Earth was spherical, but likely wouldn't have from maritime observation (since the Egyptians didn't really have a maritime tradition...and we don't know anything about the Stonehenge builders, but given that the overwhelming majority of megalith circles from the era are limited to the British Isles, it's a good bet they didn't sail too much).  

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm aware this isn't the forum, but let me say...for 10's of thousands of years, thru ancient, and advanced technological societies, it was a well known fact that the earth was flat. For any christian or Muslim out there, read your texts.

God created the "firmament" and the waters ABOVE AND BELOW.  Van Allen asteroid belt? No true picture( all earth photos are "artist renderings")? All of the sudden, 500 years ago, after THOUSANDS OF YEARS of knowledge and technology, somebody comes along with a midel that 'works' for the church and everything changes? Who was more advanced? Us, today? Or Mayans.or Egyptians? 

No, it wasn't.  The Church accepted the Earth was spherical - they actually debated for a thousand years whether the antipodes could be populated, which is not an argument you can even have without the assumption the Earth is spherical.  Islam inherited the classical Hellenic philosophies - moreso than medieval Europe - knew the Earth was spherical, and invented spherical geometry because of it (primarily, to figure out the distance to Mecca from anywhere on the globe.) 

Your post is stupid, ignorant, and counter-factual.  Nobody has credibly thought the Earth was flat since about 500BCE.  And what the !@#$ is a "Van Allen asteroid belt?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Which is why I mentioned the Phoenecians earlier as a possibility, as they were the great sea traders of the early Iron Age.  But as the Greek's source of knowledge, it's almost entirely apocryphal.  The derivation of the spherical Earth from Hellenic astronomy is much better documented.

Likewise, Stonehenge and the Pyramids demonstrate sufficient knowledge of astronomy that their builders could have reasonably concluded that the Earth was spherical, but likely wouldn't have from maritime observation (since the Egyptians didn't really have a maritime tradition...and we don't know anything about the Stonehenge builders, but given that the overwhelming majority of megalith circles from the era are limited to the British Isles, it's a good bet they didn't sail too much).  

No, it wasn't.  The Church accepted the Earth was spherical - they actually debated for a thousand years whether the antipodes could be populated, which is not an argument you can even have without the assumption the Earth is spherical.  Islam inherited the classical Hellenic philosophies - moreso than medieval Europe - knew the Earth was spherical, and invented spherical geometry because of it (primarily, to figure out the distance to Mecca from anywhere on the globe.) 

Your post is stupid, ignorant, and counter-factual.  Nobody has credibly thought the Earth was flat since about 500BCE.  And what the !@#$ is a "Van Allen asteroid belt?"

500 bce? YOU are the ignorant one, sir. They debated because they pondered how they could change the truth to further advance their own agenda. Hence the Bible states, God created the firmament to seperate the waters Above, AND Below the Earth. Van Allen asteroid belt? Sorry, I meant to say Van Allen radiation belt, which even Armstrong and Aldrin claim humans cannot penetrate. Its a firmament

P.s....dont be calling me an idiot you old, uneducated !@#$. Regardless of our difference of opinion. Also, look at any pucture of earth from space over the last 40 years. Not ONE look the same. Why? Because they are artist renditions! Do homework and come back.

For the record, im not sold on it. But im certainly not obtuse like you. Im open to ALL evidence to make my OWN opinion. Dick

Edited by BuffAlone

On 2/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, DC Tom said:

It's physics.  Aggregation of material under gravity results in a spherical shape above a certain certain size.  A flat earth requires a completely new and locally wildly different theory of gravity.

and some of the good panama red

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

One question that no one seems able or willing to answer (aside from whether Pegula can own BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres) is why and to what end has the scientific community and world governments perpetrated a round earth conspiracy for hundreds of years?  The amount of effort and expense taken to cement a round earth "conspiracy" is mind boggling.  This issue must be of such incredible importance to the world's ruling class that the Soviets and Americans worked together to sell the lie while also working to destroy each other and I haven't even seen one proposed reason as to why round earth is important and who profits.

Flip that question on its head: why has Flat Earth been pushed for the past several years in a very organized (not organic) way, who profits? 

There is a pretty obvious answer, at least to me... 

Image result for volleyball set gif

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Just now, BuffAlone said:

500 bce? YOU are the ignorant one, sir. 

How do you figure?  That's about 100 years after Pythagoras first pitched it, and after the Phoenecians reported it to the Egyptian Pharoah.  And there's compelling evidence that the Egyptians had measured the circumference of the Earth as early as 1500 BCE.  The Neo-Babylonians postulated a spherical earth by 700BC for several reasons - not least among them, and shared with other cultures, being that you can't have a Geocentric Universe without the Earth being a sphere (a flat Earth places the Earth below the cosmos, not giving it primacy, so a spherical Earth eventually becomes a theological requirement.)

By 500BCE, it was basically backwards hicks like the Etruscans or Scythians that thought the Earth was flat.  

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Flip that question on its head: why has Flat Earth been pushed for the past several years in a very organized (not organic) way, who profits? 

Trump and Putin?

• Haha (+1) 1

I honestly can't believe people actually believe this crap.

How about the different time zones?

I live in New Zealand, where it's daylight right now. (8:00 pm)

In New York, it's now 2 in the morning and dark.

How would this be possible if the earth wasn't round?

6 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

500 bce? YOU are the ignorant one, sir. They debated because they pondered how they could change the truth to further advance their own agenda. Hence the Bible states, God created the firmament to seperate the waters Above, AND Below the Earth. Van Allen asteroid belt? Sorry, I meant to say Van Allen radiation belt, which even Armstrong and Aldrin claim humans cannot penetrate. Its a firmament

P.s....dont be calling me an idiot you old, uneducated !@#$. Regardless of our difference of opinion. Also, look at any pucture of earth from space over the last 40 years. Not ONE look the same. Why? Because they are artist renditions! Do homework and come back.

For the record, im not sold on it. But im certainly not obtuse like you. Im open to ALL evidence to make my OWN opinion. Dick

As much as I respect DC Tom, I will have to veer towards your viewpoint BuffAlone on this topic over what the majority is espousing. I am not a true earther (although I have been researching the subject) and I am not a globalist. I am in search of the truth. Since I now believe that God exists, why can't there be the possibility of a form of earth that does not fit the standard issue narrative? I don't believe we ever made it to the moon. I will not go into detail as to why I believe this at this time but anyone who puts some time into researching this should come to a similar conclusion as I have made. I often times look at the moon. If for example you were inclined to hold up a balloon in your living room with all lights turned off and have a family member shine a flashlight at said balloon, what would you see? Some light reflected off of the balloon obviously but it would be hard to ignore the brightest of the light being reflected off of the center. Now if the moon was a sphere, wouldn't it reflect the sun's light in the same manner? But it does not. The moon 'reflects' light as if it were a round, flat object. You might as well hold up a round piece of paper and shine light on it. This should cause any person who pays some attention to this to go... hmmm....  The next time you have a nice view of the moon, go take a gander.

edit: Argh, it pains me to even for a split second think a similar thought to Geno. Argh!

Edited by Pilsner
Geno
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's insane.  

Well, some astronauts claim space is the blackest black one can see with absolutely no visible stars other than the earth n the sun. While others say its so beautiful to see all the stars in space.which is it? How can there possibly be a different view from space? Also, google all the different "supposed" pictures of Earth from space. From 40 years ago to current. Not ONE are identical. In fact, not even really close

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe, in your case, evolution just "didn't take"...

I agree with that! Im not evolved from apes! I was created by "God". Proud to say?

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Well, some astronauts claim space is the blackest black one can see with absolutely no visible stars other than the earth n the sun. While others say its so beautiful to see all the stars in space.which is it? How can there possibly be a different view from space? Also, google all the different "supposed" pictures of Earth from space. From 40 years ago to current. Not ONE are identical. In fact, not even really close

I agree with that! Im not evolved from apes! I was created by "God". Proud to say?

Do you have kids?

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

How do you figure?  That's about 100 years after Pythagoras first pitched it, and after the Phoenecians reported it to the Egyptian Pharoah.  And there's compelling evidence that the Egyptians had measured the circumference of the Earth as early as 1500 BCE.  The Neo-Babylonians postulated a spherical earth by 700BC for several reasons - not least among them, and shared with other cultures, being that you can't have a Geocentric Universe without the Earth being a sphere (a flat Earth places the Earth below the cosmos, not giving it primacy, so a spherical Earth eventually becomes a theological requirement.)

By 500BCE, it was basically backwards hicks like the Etruscans or Scythians that thought the Earth was flat.  

Trump and Putin?

Thats odd then because mariners right up untill the 15-1600's feared falling off the edge of the Earth...

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Do you have kids?

Indeed I do. They were pro-Created! Not pro-EVOLVED

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I honestly can't believe people actually believe this crap.

How about the different time zones?

I live in New Zealand, where it's daylight right now. (8:00 pm)

In New York, it's now 2 in the morning and dark.

How would this be possible if the earth wasn't round?

because the Sun runs it's course then zips back to the other side like a carriage return on an old typewriter 

duh 

What does Donald T think?  

28 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm sorry but... this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read, anywhere, ever, in my entire life.  I'm trying hard not to attack you personally.  I am hoping you don't actually believe in this "argument."

13 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160126-how-we-know-earth-is-round

Over 2,000 years ago, the Greek philosopher Aristotle had it all figured out.

The fact that Earth is round has been common knowledge ever since

In his book On the Heavens, he wrote: "Again, our observations of the stars make it evident, not only that the Earth is circular, but also that it is a circle of no great size. For quite a small change of position to south or north causes a manifest alteration of the horizon."

In other words, you see different sets of stars in the night sky depending on where you are. The sky over the northern hemisphere is not the same as the sky over the southern hemisphere. If the Earth was flat, then at any given time we would all see the same stars, and we don't.

Another Greek thinker and mathematician, Eratosthenes, went further and managed to measure the Earth's circumference.

He discovered that at noon in one Egyptian city, the Sun was directly overhead, whereas in a different city the Sun did not rise quite so high. Eratosthenes knew the distance between the two cities, measured how high in the sky the Sun rose to in each at the same time, then did some trigonometry. His method was crude, but his answer was in the right ballpark.

The fact that Earth is round has been common knowledge, at least among the educated and powerful, ever since.

More recently, people have gone all the way round the Earth. The Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan famously circumnavigated the Earth from 1519 to 1522, which would have been even more difficult if it had had an edge.

But long before Magellan, it was obvious to observant sailors that the Earth is round. If you sail towards something tall, like a mountain, you will see the top of it appearing over the horizon before the rest of it.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Education and science took a major step back in the dark ages....

doesn't seem to be doing too well right now either

1 minute ago, teef said:

What...in the holy hell...is going on here?

I have no idea...

5 hours ago, Pilsner said:

As much as I respect DC Tom, I will have to veer towards your viewpoint BuffAlone on this topic over what the majority is espousing. I am not a true earther (although I have been researching the subject) and I am not a globalist. I am in search of the truth. Since I now believe that God exists, why can't there be the possibility of a form of earth that does not fit the standard issue narrative? I don't believe we ever made it to the moon. I will not go into detail as to why I believe this at this time but anyone who puts some time into researching this should come to a similar conclusion as I have made. I often times look at the moon. If for example you were inclined to hold up a balloon in your living room with all lights turned off and have a family member shine a flashlight at said balloon, what would you see? Some light reflected off of the balloon obviously but it would be hard to ignore the brightest of the light being reflected off of the center. Now if the moon was a sphere, wouldn't it reflect the sun's light in the same manner? But it does not. The moon 'reflects' light as if it were a round, flat object. You might as well hold up a round piece of paper and shine light on it. This should cause any person who pays some attention to this to go... hmmm....  The next time you have a nice view of the moon, go take a gander.

edit: Argh, it pains me to even for a split second think a similar thought to Geno. Argh!

You don't believe we made it to the moon, you are not sure the earth is round yet you believe there is an invisible man living above us that created everything on earth?

25 minutes ago, teef said:

What...in the holy hell...is going on here?

This is where we're at as a society in 2018.  For decades we've underinvested in education, refused to fire underperforming teachers, and have permitted (through moral relativism and other questionable doctrines) unscientific "beliefs" to compete on an equal playing field against cold, hard, empirical evidence.  Now we're saddled with millions of semi-literate voters who will believe anything they semi-read on the internet.  The conditions were set up for external manipulation via fake news - whether or not that actually happened/caused a particular result, there is no question that America is, well, just plain stupid, and readily susceptible to "alternative facts" such as "the moon landing was faked" and "the Earth is flat."  We've collectively gotten dumber as a society.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is where we're at as a society in 2018.  For decades we've underinvested in education, refused to fire underperforming teachers, and have permitted (through moral relativism and other questionable doctrines) unscientific "beliefs" to compete on an equal playing field against cold, hard, empirical evidence.  Now we're saddled millions of semi-literate voters who will believe anything they semi-read on the internet.  The conditions were set up for external manipulation via fake news - whether or not that actually happened/caused a particular result, there is no question that America is, well, just plain stupid, and readily susceptible to "alternative facts" such as "the moon landing was faked" and "the Earth is flat."  We've collectively gotten dumber as a society.

This is a pretty badass post. 

25 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm sorry but... this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read, anywhere, ever, in my entire life.  I'm trying hard not to attack you personally.  I am hoping you don't actually believe in this "argument."

I do. Its true. The varying accounts are very easily found on google or youtube. Straight from the horse's mouth. Why should I not take them for their word? You can attack me all ya want, Im just speaking the truth of what I've seen with my own eyes

2 minutes ago, teef said:

This is a pretty badass post. 

Coach, I am an educated man. Unlike most people who read their history books as absolute truth, I prefer to take ALL available information to make an educated and informed opinion of things. I didnt just see some random clip on youtube and buy into it lmao

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I do. Its true. The varying accounts are very easily found on google or youtube. Straight from the horse's mouth. Why should I not take them for their word? You can attack me all ya want, Im just speaking the truth of what I've seen with my own eyes

Coach, I am an educated man. Unlike most people who read their history books as absolute truth, I prefer to take ALL available information to make an educated and informed opinion of things. I didnt just see some random clip on youtube and buy into it lmao

You've "seen with your own eyes" pictures of the Earth taken from outer space, and you've concluded that they must be "artist renditions" because they don't look similar to one another?  And you've sprung from that (flawed) conclusion to even flimsier ones, i.e., that the Earth might be flat and the moon landing was phony?  Do I have that right?  If I do, if you're indeed "educated," our education system is a disaster.

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Thats odd then because mariners right up untill the 15-1600's feared falling off the edge of the Earth...

No, they didn't.  Your second-grade teacher lied to you.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Education and science took a major step back in the dark ages....

Only in Europe.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Yes, you're very open-minded.  The problem is that you're an idiot, which makes open-mindedness problematic, since you end up believing the dumbest !@#$ing things you hear.

• Haha (+1) 2