Another Music Thread??

Chef Jim

This one was a few years out of high school.....cant find a link for the full album, but all of the tracks are on YouTube.......wow, now that I go back and listen to it I think it holds up well. Probably haven't listened to this in 15 years. A lot of great stuff on here. Although this type of music isn't for everyone.  Good memories. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I played this album so much when I was a kid that the color of the album was literally grey.   Those sapphire needles and a lot of plays did that.   Surf music, my second most favorite genre.

Earlier today I was searching Youtube for versions of Pipeline.   Back in the 90's when I frequented users groups, there was a guy who claimed be had over 100 different versions of Pipeline, so I had to see how many I could find.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here is another which probably has more universal appeal.   A buddy let me borrow his copy back in late 66.  This was the album that showed me there was more than just pop radio.  Still rates in my top 10 albums.

If you like blues based music, I am sure you will find a couple of great songs on here.   The song "Flute Thing" was so different than anything I had heard before, at the time.    In late 67, when I went to college, guys from NYC said these guys would give free concerts in Central Park back then.  For whatever reason they couldn't catch on.  Also, I believe this to be Al Kooper's first band, for those that know who he is.

Edited by Greybeard

24 minutes ago, snafu said:

^^^ I listened to a lot of the Cramps. Saw them in Toronto in '85 when I was a Junior in HS. 

Here's one from my youth, even though it came out a little before my days in HS:

I liked this.  I went over to Youtube to listen to  a few of their other songs.    They had a cover of "David Watts,"  a song best heard live.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I played this album so much when I was a kid that the color of the album was literally grey.   Those sapphire needles and a lot of plays did that.   Surf music, my second most favorite genre.

Earlier today I was searching Youtube for versions of Pipeline.   Back in the 90's when I frequented users groups, there was a guy who claimed be had over 100 different versions of Pipeline, so I had to see how many I could find.  

I've been in CA for 35 years and never really got into Surf Music.  Then I moved back to SoCal from NorCal this past July and added Surf Rock station to Pandora kind of as a welcome back.  Fun stuff!! 

Great topic.

I listen/sample most of what gets posted in the various music threads if I haven't heard them before.

But this thread is tough to keep up with...I just don't have the time to listen to all of these full albums (much as I'd like to).

Unsolicited suggestion: in addition to posting the album link, post the time of the song that will make us want to hear the rest of the album if it's new to us.

some Canadian content:

Hayden - everything i long for  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQY7yRDil0 (this was the 'single', album not on youtube)

Rheostatics - Introducing Happiness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIyaJiwNys&list=PL76ADA3795478B841 

Sloan - Smeared https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHf07SA3vg&list=PLD9FNg1JJ-NmGxvoyXq0HK27z7ODRRUnv

(their first full album, they went in a totally different direction after this)

and perhaps the most obscure:

Sianspheric - Somnium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-DpzIn4Mw (Hamilton, ON's shoegaze)

and this, on repeat, ad infinitum (including my 'our song'):

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, Chef Jim said:

Yes. But this one is a bit more of a challenge. Post an album from your high school days that is a bit obscure that you listened to a lot!  

That England/Wales exchange trip was big fun in the early 80s, their girls were vampires, anything for a Canadian flag pin...

Some albums that came back with us that didn't quite make it over here.... Adam still sounds good (never repeated though), the Motorhead/Girlschool EP was in the stack and shows how one could cross styles without a thought in the early 80s.

How about the reverse effect, where all the skids and goofs and smoking areas losers, and some decent people glommed onto The Wall and Springsteen, the biggest fabricated mind-rot in pop music history?

And you tried to put up with it....

This rocked, the remaining stuff got weaker and weaker, intentionally horrible covers for one album was the end of it.

No more LSD for me, I've met the man from Galilee....

Edited by row_33

Zappa 'over nite sensation'

my buddys garage in SB was our clubhouse and we had a kick ass car stereo that ran off a toy race track inverter. Marantz power booster and 4 Jensen triaxial speakers. His dad was cool and let us drink and smoke. Good times. We had around 25 8track tapes  to listen to. 

• 2 weeks later...