If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Your logic which you are describing has absolutely nothing to do with what I was referring you.

You implied that because nobody can decide which of the three between Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold is a consensus "best" then none will be good at all.

That's just completely faulty logic.

Drafting BPA is only good sometimes.

Barkley looks to be a stud RB, I think he's going to have a good career.

He could be the best running back in a decade.

He's still not as valuable as an elite franchise QB.

He's still not as valuable as a very good QB either.

This is a QB driven league, and the impact of anybody else on the team in today's game isn't anywhere close at any other position.

I'm not sure what you are referring to work the 2000 Ravens, or what that has to do with this discussion.

That was almost 2 decades ago.

The game has changed and evolved.

It's no longer a "grind it out, manage the game" league.

Rule changes have shifted the needle wayyyyyy towards the offensive side of the ball, specifically to the passing game.

You still need a balanced team to win in the league, but you aren't going to win with a stout defense, running game, and subpar QB anymore.

If you reach for a QB and hit, it will change your franchise for a decade in the right direction.

A very good franchise QB automatically puts you into Superbowl contention.

An elite defense and running game with QB question marks (see: Jax and Minny) still leaves you as a "well if they get a QB then we can talk about them contending every year)

Everybody is entitled to an opinion here and nearly all of what you have stated is opinion.  You have no idea as to what Barkley's impact will be because at this point because we do not what team he will go to and what the offensive plan will be.  I think that if I were Beane and thinking about jumping to the number 1 slot it would be to take the best player in the draft.  It makes the most sense to take the best players for now and let the QB be the icing on the cake for at least Buffalo.  Mortgage the farm when you know you have most of the other pieces in place.

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Additionally, I would not put it past Rosen to tank his interview with the Browns and Bills in hopes that he will go elsewhere.  He seems like a prick like that.  That's probably why Bills are in favor of Darnold.  You would really have to talk yourself out of Rosen to choose anyone else imo.  Or have him talk you out of it instead!

Yeah Rosen doesn't want to come here. People tend to view things in a light that confirms their personal feelings. This is a Bills board and most of the people live in NY, so when they hear people speak negatively about the town they think it's illogical and get offended, but weather and being a smaller market matters to people, especially "me first" players whose goal is to become famous. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion here and nearly all of what you have stated is opinion.  You have no idea as to what Barkley's impact will be because at this point because we do not what team he will go to and what the offensive plan will be.  I think that if I were Beane and thinking about jumping to the number 1 slot it would be to take the best player in the draft.  It makes the most sense to take the best players for now and let the QB be the icing on the cake for at least Buffalo.  Mortgage the farm when you know you have most of the other pieces in place.

You're entitled to your opinion and that opinion is wrong. This is the mentality that kept us out of the playoffs for 17 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

if you move up and not take a QB in the best QB draft in a decade then you are an idiot plain and simple.  there are good RB's every year.  there are good RB's in the 4th round.  there are even good RB's that you can sign off the street that will do the job if you have a good QB to open up the run game.  if they moved up and didn't take a QB i would be officially done with this team

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PIP said:

I think we should have tanked big time

A reasonable position to take.  However, actually making the playoffs while not tanking was huge for the franchise and may have made the not tanking worth the effort.  Removes a huge amount of pressure if and when the team actually becomes good. 

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah Rosen doesn't want to come here. People tend to view things in a light that confirms their personal feelings. This is a Bills board and most of the people live in NY, so when they hear people speak negatively about the town they think it's illogical and get offended, but weather and being a smaller market matters to people, especially "me first" players whose goal is to become famous. 

You're entitled to your opinion and that opinion is wrong. This is the mentality that kept us out of the playoffs for 17 years. 

The mentality that kept up out of the playoffs the past 17 years was Ralph refusing to let go by 2005.  Further, it was reaching on players such as Roscoe Parrish and Aaron Maybin.  Being in a bad position in the draft with no clear cut top prospect regardless of position and taking Eric Flowers.  Taking players such as Whitner and expecting them to play beyond instincts.  Had the outcome been different on these issues we would have won a couple more games in those numerous 7-9 seasons and made the playoffs.

54 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The mentality that kept up out of the playoffs the past 17 years was Ralph refusing to let go by 2005.  Further, it was reaching on players such as Roscoe Parrish and Aaron Maybin.  Being in a bad position in the draft with no clear cut top prospect regardless of position and taking Eric Flowers.  Taking players such as Whitner and expecting them to play beyond instincts.  Had the outcome been different on these issues we would have won a couple more games in those numerous 7-9 seasons and made the playoffs.

You know what position can win you 2-3 games singlehandedly? QB?

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

if you move up and not take a QB in the best QB draft in a decade then you are an idiot plain and simple.  there are good RB's every year.  there are good RB's in the 4th round.  there are even good RB's that you can sign off the street that will do the job if you have a good QB to open up the run game.  if they moved up and didn't take a QB i would be officially done with this team

Are you still an idiot if in three years Barkley gains 2,000 total yards from scrimmage and your team is playing in the conference championship because of that?  

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Are you still an idiot if in three years Barkley gains 2,000 total yards from scrimmage and your team is playing in the conference championship because of that?  

Yes because you still don't have a QB. Who rushes for 2000 yards these days and when they do is the team ever good? Terrell Davis was the only one to ever do it on a good team and that was 20 years ago!!! Welcome to the 21st century where you need to score 40 points to win the Superbowl

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You know what position can win you 2-3 game singlehandedly? QB?

Dan Marino won lots of games singlehandedly but has little to show for it.  Stafford in Detroit.  A QB can still throw for 300 yards plus and still have his team lose.  Brady just threw for an astounding amount of yards and lost.  It's a team game.

25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Opinions can be wrong.

Some people think that Hitler was a great man.

You really gonna defend that all opinions are equally correct?

You are using examples of teams winning with a stud QB that are 2 decades old.

You are ignoring everything I'm saying.

The impact of a QB is the greatest on the field.

It's not even close to the next position.

An elite QB with an average RB just went to 8 Superbowls in 16 seasons.

How many Superbowls has AP been to?

How about Barry Sanders?

An elite QB with an average RB is a huge leap ahead of an elite RB with an average QB.

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Dan Marino won lots of games singlehandedly but has little to show for it.  Stafford in Detroit.  A QB can still throw for 300 yards plus and still have his team lose.  Brady just threw for an astounding amount of yards and lost.  It's a team game.

Yes, it's a team game.

Never said it wasn't.

The most important position, bar none, is the QB.

Marino had one 1000 yard rusher and like 3 top15 def his whole career.

If they had given him even decent RBS and defs every year he would have gotten a ring.

You can also get above avg RBS in later rounds.

It's very rare to find a good QB later in the draft.

7 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I know I’m in the minority but I just don’t see the hype in Darnold. He just looks too jittery in the pocket, not comfortable at all, and he’s a turnover machine. I have him 4th behind Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield.

Agree with your ranking

11 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

1st off if were hearing that certain guys are favored by our coaching staff it's probably a smokescreen or a lie, it's that time of year for all of that. If we can move up and select a QB which I think we'll do and Cleveland hasn't selected Darnold, that means they took Josh Allen/Mayfield or Jackson because from what I read, Josh Rosen said he refuses to play for Cleveland, I would rather have Rosen over Darnold but I'd be happy with any of those guys (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson or Allen).

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

7 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I know I’m in the minority but I just don’t see the hype in Darnold. He just looks too jittery in the pocket, not comfortable at all, and he’s a turnover machine. I have him 4th behind Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield.

So you think Allen's accuracy is less of an issue than turnovers. IMO you can coach reducing turnovers easier than improving accuracy.

25 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Opinions can be wrong.

Some people think that Hitler was a great man.

You really gonna defend that all opinions are equally correct?

You are using examples of teams winning with a stud QB that are 2 decades old.

You are ignoring everything I'm saying.

The impact of a QB is the greatest on the field.

It's not even close to the next position.

An elite QB with an average RB just went to 8 Superbowls in 16 seasons.

How many Superbowls has AP been to?

How about Barry Sanders?

An elite QB with an average RB is a huge leap ahead of an elite RB with an average QB.

Yes, it's a team game.

Never said it wasn't.

The most important position, bar none, is the QB.

Marino had one 1000 yard rusher and like 3 top15 def his whole career.

If they had given him even decent RBS and defs every year he would have gotten a ring.

You can also get above avg RBS in later rounds.

It's very rare to find a good QB later in the draft.

Hitler?  Seriously?  We are talking about the freakin draft where nobody here has access to a pro-grading system to know how these guys stack up in one evaluation system.  Some people are going off the deep end here and it ain't me.  It's all subjective here and don't tell me you are any different.  By the way Csonka, Riggins, Payton (from the great beyond), Emmitt Smith, Roger Craig all say hello with their SB rings.  

3 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Honest question?

You have admitted to not watch any college ball but yet you call Mayfield as the best if the bunch, he excites you the most. How is it he excites you the most out of all of them, is it highlight videos? 

Truth is IMO he is a polarizing QB and he should be one of the choices for QB but for you to be so sure while not being one that watches college ball it makes it hard for me to understand how your so sure of your choice out of these top 3.

Truth is IMO any of the top 3, Darnold, Rosen,Mayfield would be fun here. I watch college ball and for me to call any of these 3 better then the other is hard to do. All 3 excite me so any of these 3 please. If none of these 3 Rudolph is my 4th choice for draft value of not moving up, size and over all talent of his career in college ball at QB. Allen is a talent but needs a bunch of work just like Jackson who is more of a runner then QB and I think many fans have had enough of the inaccurate run first QB. 

Y

So honest question, why you all in on Mayfield now over Darnold,Rosen?

Wow! You are just so angry!

Maybe you should just start ignoring me for your own sake 0:)

Why do I like Mayfield the most? To answer your question he's a winner and he's gritty and has this competitive fire that reminds me of Jim Kelly. He seems very immature but I think if he got in with the right coach who could harness his competitiveness. He also seems to have great pocket presence, can escape pressure, and is very accurate. He's completely willing to throw the ball just about anywhere on the field and has NFL arm strength even if it's not Elite.

I like darnold a lot, but his turnover problem is what makes me like him second to Mayfield.

Rosen scares me a bit because of his injury history and his reported lack of love for the game.

Do I watch college football? No. As I watched some? Yes. Do I pay attention to what happens via News, highlights, and scores on things like ESPN? Yes.

I asked an honest question and gave a few thoughts, but of course you have to be confrontational.

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Hitler?  Seriously?  We are talking about the freakin draft where nobody here has access to a pro-grading system to know how these guys stack up in one evaluation system.  Some people are going off the deep end here and it ain't me.  It's all subjective here and don't tell me you are any different.  By the way Csonka, Riggins, Payton (from the great beyond), Emmitt Smith, Roger Craig all say hello with their SB rings.  

Continue to use decades old RBs to justify your misguided belief and to dodge responding to anything I said regarding the current NFL fact that a QB is dramatically more important to a team's success than any other position.

Yes, Hitler, as in an example that opinions can be wrong, and to think otherwise is just false.

Your opinion that you should always draft BPA and that a RB like Barkley is an impactful as a top QB is wrong.

So is your assertion that because there isn't a consensus #1 between the QBs that all should then be avoided.

Keep living in the past regarding what can and cannot consistently win in the NFL though.

11 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Its 3 1st’s and a 4th, not a 2nd. But to move up to #2 it will cost a lot, but if he’s their guy, and he’s there, I think they should go for it. 

Why not just sign Cousins, who has put up ridiculous numbers already in the NFL, and use those draft picks to build the team. 

This way we arent mortgaging the next 5 yrs to find out if Darnold is good. A trade like that would set this franchise back 5-10 yrs if Darnold stinks. 

Edited by bobobonators

Personally I don't like Mayfield because he's stupid enough to not understand OSU sings Carmen Ohio with the band after every game, win or lose, away or home, take deep offense that it's somehow disrespectful to Oklahoma and carry it all calendar year long that he needs to plant a flag in mid field at Ohio Stadium to get revenge.  That crosses the line from competitive to idiot in my book.  Add in the offseason arrest, antics in Kansas, bringing the sign into the Georgia game then choking the game away, dude is entire too emotional to expect to make rational decisions in razor thin games week in and week out at the NFL level IMO.

23 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Why not just sign Cousins, who has put up ridiculous numbers already in the NFL, and use those draft picks to build the team. 

This way we arent mortgaging the next 5 yrs to find out if Darnold is good. A trade like that would set this franchise back 5-10 yrs if Darnold stinks. 

Because Cousins has a choice on where he plays, unless the Redskins tag and trade him.  Personally Cousins is my choice A, and if he chooses us pay the man and use our draft picks to build around him.  But he's got a choice.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Personally I don't like Mayfield because he's stupid enough to not understand OSU sings Carmen Ohio with the band after every game, win or lose, away or home, take deep offense that it's somehow disrespectful to Oklahoma and carry it all calendar year long that he needs to plant a flag in mid field at Ohio Stadium to get revenge.  That crosses the line from competitive to idiot in my book.  Add in the offseason arrest, antics in Kansas, bringing the sign into the Georgia game then choking the game away, dude is entire too emotional to expect to make rational decisions in razor thin games week in and week out at the NFL level IMO.

Because Cousins has a choice on where he plays, unless the Redskins tag and trade him.  Personally Cousins is my choice A, and if he chooses us pay the man and use our draft picks to build around him.  But he's got a choice.

I get he’s got a choice but we’ll know before the draft. Money talks. Make it happen. 

12 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and Glenn?

That is definitely "full ditka"

I am not at all I n board with that.  I prefer paying a lot less for Jackson or Mayfield.  

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

On board with that.  We can really bolster our D with draft 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

I know they are just hi lite videos, but Rudolph may be better than some people think.

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Continue to use decades old RBs to justify your misguided belief and to dodge responding to anything I said regarding the current NFL fact that a QB is dramatically more important to a team's success than any other position.

Yes, Hitler, as in an example that opinions can be wrong, and to think otherwise is just false.

Your opinion that you should always draft BPA and that a RB like Barkley is an impactful as a top QB is wrong.

So is your assertion that because there isn't a consensus #1 between the QBs that all should then be avoided.

Keep living in the past regarding what can and cannot consistently win in the NFL though.

For the record I would NEVER, EVER say Hitler was a great man.  Having said that IF someone here by some chance said Hitler was a great man and thought that mortgaging the farm for a QB that nobody can predict the outcome of was a fantastic idea where does this person stand with you?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

For the record I would NEVER, EVER say Hitler was a great man.  Having said that IF someone here by some chance said Hitler was a great man and thought that mortgaging the farm for a QB that nobody can predict the outcome of was a fantastic idea where does this person stand with you?

That actually made me laugh Rob. (In a good way, I'm thanks :) )

I would say that while Hitler was a terrible person, and anything else other than that is wrong, that incorrect thought process is completely independent of that same person's hypothetical wish to mortgage the farm for a QB they believed to be the gospel, which cannot be proven correct or not until said player in the league.

Bottom line is, if you trade 3 first round picks to move up (one of which was extra capital earned by trading down last year and hitting a home run with White) then in reality you are only giving up one extra pick (next year's first) which looks to be a average at best draft.

If the QB tanks, so be it.

If the QB is a home run, then you're set for a decade.

That's all I'm saying.

Edited by SouthNYfan

Darnold is a good maybe very good QB prospect, but if you think you want to trade 21, 22 and at least another high pick for him, go watch his USC vs Notre Dame game last season.  I did not see him come remotely close to carrying USC in that game.  I get that it was only one game, but if you are giving up a great deal to get him, I think you are hoping that he can carry your offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have him for a reasonable price - heck I'd be happy with a QB that at least gives you a chance to win in most situation - it has been a long time since the Bills have had that.  

I am not opposed to trading up to secure a QB prospect in this draft.  I can even see the argument to trade 21 and 22 to move up for the right prospect, but I really am leery of giving up more than that.  Unfortunately, I don't think that is enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield.  I might be content to 21 and a 2nd to move up a little and take Jackson or Rudolph and still have pick 22 left.    I am also not as down on Josh Allen as many here?  

I haven't watched as many games as some here, but I think that both Jackson and Rudolph are better than they are generally being given credit for.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow! You are just so angry!

Maybe you should just start ignoring me for your own sake 0:)

Why do I like Mayfield the most? To answer your question he's a winner and he's gritty and has this competitive fire that reminds me of Jim Kelly. He seems very immature but I think if he got in with the right coach who could harness his competitiveness. He also seems to have great pocket presence, can escape pressure, and is very accurate. He's completely willing to throw the ball just about anywhere on the field and has NFL arm strength even if it's not Elite.

I like darnold a lot, but his turnover problem is what makes me like him second to Mayfield.

Rosen scares me a bit because of his injury history and his reported lack of love for the game.

Do I watch college football? No. As I watched some? Yes. Do I pay attention to what happens via News, highlights, and scores on things like ESPN? Yes.

I asked an honest question and gave a few thoughts, but of course you have to be confrontational.

Hey man you asked a question so I asked you a question, I did not mean to sound snippy towards you, sorry if you took it that way. 

Thank you for your honest answer, nice to see a topic we are both talking about that does not have the last QB name in it we all so often talk about. I agree with your assessment but I tend to really like Rosen as well because of his talent that is unmatched to anyone in this draft IMO. I like all 3 and Rudolph. I would be happy with any of them 4 but I do like Mayfield and Darnold the most. Have a good day

12 hours ago, Estro said:

I think Darnold is and will be the apple of the Bills brass eye.  I think the murmurs you've heard recently of the Bills liking Rosen are smoke that is being put out intentionally.  Rosen's durability issues and his lack of pocket presence are concerns I don't see the Bills selling the farm to go get.  Darnold, OTOH, I think he's a future top tier QB in the NFL.  I think the sweet spot for the Bills to trade up is in the #2-#7 spots.  If, and I think it's a huge if, the Browns pass on Darnold I'd expect the Bills to being working the lines hard.  With all of the other teams that need a QB, and my view of Darnold as the best QB, I think it's going to be tough to leapfrog so many teams that might be also looking to trade up.  

In the end I think the Browns will select Darnold #1, which to me ends the possibility of the Bills making a huge move up in the draft.  As for Baker Mayfield.....not  a fan.  

To say Rosen has durability concerns might be a fair accusation but lack of pocket presence? That has never been a knock on him, where did you hear such things?

I see nothing wrong with them drafting a QB in the late 1st or one of our 2nd round picks. As long as we allow him to develop. We still don't know what we have in Peterman. I remember Jimmy G vs the Bills and he didn't look good (The final Marrone Game), fast forward 2.5 years later look at him now.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, why would a QB want to join a playoff team?

If Buffalo and Denver both offer Cousins the same money on the same contract. Where do you honestly think he wants to play?

We both know its not Buffalo. We haven't been back to the POs enough to be called a steady contender. Were building. Were missing a few pieces still. Do you not know how the rest of the league sees us?

I dont give a fk. But players do, its their livleyhood. They wanna compete.

13 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I dont think any QB wants to come here.

But they would rather join a 5-11 Broncos squad who are lightyears removed from their SB run? The entire coaching staff and QB are gone from that SB team.

The Jets? The Dolphins? The Cardinals? 

The Bills are arguably the most stable of all those options. We have a decent amount of cap room. We have a buttload of picks. We have a GM and HC that made the playoffs in their first season. 

Edited by bobobonators

16 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

If Buffalo and Denver both offer Cousins the same money on the same contract. Where do you honestly think he wants to play?

We both know its not Buffalo. We haven't been back to the POs enough to be called a steady contender. Were building. Were missing a few pieces still. Do you not know how the rest of the league sees us?

I dont give a fk. But players do, its their livleyhood. They wanna compete.

The entire league sees us as you do?  Please.  And Denver isn't missing pieces?  Please.

With respect to Cousins, read the article about him in si a couple months ago.  He and McD would practically be soulmates.

It's kind of a vain hope but my hope is that the teams at the top of the draft don't evaluate the QBs the same way the Bills scouts do.  And it turns out the Bills are right.

In other words, I'm hoping the QB that Beane is targeting either drops to us or drops low enough that we can get him without pulling a 'full Ditka'.  

I'm a Bills fan, after all.  I'm always full of unreasonable hope. 

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Three first and Glenn could get it done.  It is a lot but the way they are talking about Glenn he doesn't factor into the long term plans.  

look at It like this over the course of the three drafts your get a top notch corner and a potential Franchise qb.  A lot of team would have less to show for three first rounder's

What I think will happened is The Broncos move to number 2 then the Jets move to number 3 .  Allen and Rudolph fall until the Cards or Bills make a move or wait.  

If one of the playoff team with an older vet or Bortles might want to trade up to 21 which would be interesting choice for the Bills  

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The entire league sees us as you do?  Please.  And Denver isn't missing pieces?  Please.

With respect to Cousins, read the article about him in si a couple months ago.  He and McD would practically be soulmates.

Youre being a homer and thats cool.

Cousins and Beane? Based on what? Common interests?

If you want to win you go to the team you think gives you the best pieces to win with. 

Guarantee you Cousins doesnt come here. Without using my "inside sources" and #HLBMs.