kdiggz

Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

Risky move by the 49ers.  I thought they'd put the franchise tag on him given he's only played five games, but Shanahan obviously has a lot of faith in him.

He’s going to be a massive bomb. Not that he will suck. But he’s going to be Kirk Cousins. Put up some numbers. Not be great. This is a major mistake imo. We’ll see. 

11 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

NFL owners are getting as bad as MLB owners. Idiots....all of them.

Why...the salary cap is the difference between NFL and MLB....owners still bring in billions. They're not hurting for money. No NFL team loses money at the end of the year...plus it's only a 5 year deal....not the 10 year fully guaranteed deals baseball gives out

Edited by nucci

It's not as simple as "Wow, the guy only has like 6 starts". The way he looked when he stepped in for NE, it left people debating "is he that good or is the system....remember Cassell?" But then to go to SF mid-season, look just as good as he did those couple games in NE, with far less talent around him, it was clear. They have an elite talent who happened to learn under Brady for a few years. Throw the bank at the kid.

Edited by ProcessTheTrust
  • Like 2

He'll probably back out and sign with the Cheaters now - for comfort

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

He'll probably back out and sign with the Cheaters now - for comfort

Kraft and BB called "to congratulate" him and he had a change of heart, will now sign a $2 mil/year 15 year deal to be Brady's successor.......

Eye popping numbers - I know the NFL has an overall salary cap, but do they need to consider a “by position” cap?  Teams could max out whatever positions they feel are most important, but can’t go over the “position” number.  Just spitballing...

Also, when does the trade go down? 😂

This reminds me of the huge Brock Osweiler contract a couple of years ago. The guy has no experience in the NFL yet.

He does look good though for the free games he played.

32 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Sweet Jesus, that's a ton of coins to someone with so little accomplished. Hope this works out well for the 9ers. 

Kirk Cousins is smiling right now.

Yup, his agent is too.

39 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Seems to be an endless cycle. I'm all for players getting paid but these type of salaries for QB's tends to leave less for other players.

That shouldn't scare you away from securing a legitimate franchise QB. Having one of those pretty much guarantees a competetive team year in, year out. 

I know there's examples of QBs cashing in and then the team around them begins lacking (Flacco, for example), but paying him all that money wasn't the main issue (big factor, though). It was the fact that the Ravens haven't drafted nearly as well since then, as they had in the past. Get as many players on rookie contracts as you can, and hope they over perform.

It's a roster building strategy, and it doesn't always work out, but it's probably a better strategy than spending more money elsewhere, while hoping a franchise QB falls in your lap. 

If the Bills want good QB play, they're going to have to pay for it, eventually, unless they get lucky in the draft (how's that worked out?).

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:
Raj MathaiVerified account @rajmathai
FollowFollow @rajmathai
#EXCLUSIVE: #49ers have reached agreement w/ Jimmy Garoppolo. Will be highest paid player in #NFL. Announcement soon to come.

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo
FollowFollow @MikeGarafolo
The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
Credit to both @rajmathai and @MikeGarafolo, who have reported 49ers have deal in place with QB Jimmy Garoppolo; seems like only a matter of time. High-ranking 49ers' official texted: "Still working on it. Not done yet."

When is he going to pull the McDaniels ?  

Osweiller Part II 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Matt Flynn Jr. 

Rob Johnson 2.0

The dude beat the Rams backups (still threw a few picks anyway), barely beat the lowly Bears, and looked mediocre against the sucky Texans.    

The Jags game is where the kid looked good, but as we saw in Pittsburgh when they gave up 42 points, the Jags defense played pretty poorly late in the season .   I am amazed at this deal, but it's another team ahead of us in the draft that doesn't need a qb so I'm cool with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, McBean said:

Well the dream is over.

Hope you didn't make a mess      ;)

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Rob Johnson 2.0

The dude beat the Rams backups (still threw a few picks anyway), barely beat the lowly Bears, and looked mediocre against the sucky Texans.    

The Jags game is where the kid looked good, but as we saw in Pittsburgh when they gave up 42 points, the Jags defense played pretty poorly late in the season .   I am amazed at this deal, but it's another team ahead of us in the draft that doesn't need a qb so I'm cool with it.

Careful you'll piss off the Garoppolo lovers  who thinks 7-0 will continue on and on and on.  

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Wow. 6 games or so of work and already that highly paid. 

SF is going to be dangerous going forward. 

Until he tanks in another 10 games or so.  New qb in league always seem to light it up and most disappear after a defensive coordinator figure them out.  That is a crazy amount for really an unproven guy