For those who promised to not watch the game

For those who promised to not watch the Super Bowl  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Fess up about what you said before the game:

• I kept my word and did not watch it at all
    • I tried to not watch but heard it was a great game and tuned in
    • I said I wouldn't watch it but come on, it's the freakin' Super Bowl. I watched every minute.

I didn't watch, and you all can thank me. I'm the Patriots Super Bowl comeback good luck charm. Every time I swear I am not watching those stinkers in a Super Bowl, I cave at halftime - because the other team is winning at the half and I want to enjoy the Cheatriots defeat.

This time, I did not cave and things worked out as they should. :)

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I didn't watch, and you all can thank me. I'm the Patriots Super Bowl comeback good luck charm. Every time I swear I am not watching those stinkers in a Super Bowl, I cave at halftime - because the other team is winning at the half and I want to enjoy the Cheatriots defeat.

This time, I did not cave and things worked out as they should. :)

Thank you, haha! Also, as you must know by now, you missed an incredible game!

I said I wasn't going to watch because I have other interests and priorities in life.

Also, I live in a forest without cable TV and I thought I would have to pay extra to stream the SB.  When I found out I didn't, I watched hours of pregame as well as the game itself.

And I'm glad I did.  That was a fun game - lots of offense and a satisfying finish.  

I did not watch the game. I watched other re-run games from 2017.

Now that it is over and Knowing there is something something worth watching, I WILL watch it when it becomes available on League Pass. 

I love the honesty! That's what this game is all about. Most of us were sure without a doubt Foles couldn't step up to this stage...and most of us are sitting with a mouth full of crow. I get the passion to say you wouldn't watch for the most part, but to purposely avoid the biggest game of the year takes next level stubbornness. And those who followed through, hats off to you. I could care less what I promised a forum. I'm watching the game!

Edited by ProcessTheTrust

I taped it and followed it on Gamecenter and the TBD game thread.  Watched it after the game last night.  No regrets - my wife (watching in other room) even commented afterwards how I would have been going crazy with F bombs at certain points and it was probably a good decision

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

I taped it and followed it on Gamecenter and the TBD game thread.  Watched it after the game last night.  No regrets - my wife (watching in other room) even commented afterwards how I would have been going crazy with F bombs at certain points and it was probably a good decision

Ah...so you were just gung-ho on not contributing to the ratings but still followed? Guess that counts!

I didn't watch a play or follow the game in any way.  Instead I went to a little Mediterranean place (no TVs) for dinner with a friend.  Around 10 ET I instinctively went to check my phone but stopped after realizing it would only disrupt the nice evening I was having.  As we were leaving about 45 minutes later I got a notification from my news app that the Eagles had won.  I happily drove home and watched the highlights.   

My only regret was not having done the same last year.

Edited by KD in CA

I didn't watch.  I might later on a replay.  But, if the league is going to allow the refs to continually give that one team every break possible, just so they can be the greatest dynasty of ever... Then I have zero interest in watching them play.   ...other than when they play the Bills.

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Ah...so you were just gung-ho on not contributing to the ratings but still followed? Guess that counts!

I was gung ho on not wanting to bear to see a Cheater victory - along with all the ball washing that would ensue throughout the game.  I would not have watched it afterwards if the Cheaters won.  

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

I was gung ho on not wanting to bear to see a Cheater victory - along with all the ball washing that would ensue throughout the game.  I would not have watched it afterwards if the Cheaters won.  

Oh. Just wondering. I've "watched" games the way you mentioned when I didn't have access to a TV.

Some did follow through I guess.

Super Bowl Ratings Slip To 8-Year Low As Eagles Score Historic Win

by Dominic Patten

FTA:

All in all, Super Bowl LII is currently the lowest rated since Super Bowl XLIV in 2010, when the New Orleans Saints thrashed the Indianapolis Colts on CBS.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/

Edited by B-Man

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Some did follow through I guess.

Super Bowl Ratings Slip To 8-Year Low As Eagles Score Historic Win

by Dominic Patten

FTA:

All in all, Super Bowl LII is currently the lowest rated since Super Bowl XLIV in 2010, when the New Orleans Saints thrashed the Indianapolis Colts on CBS.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/

You left out this:

"the number that really matters right now is the 47.4/70 in metered market ratings that yesterday’s Super Bowl delivered. Dipping by a slight 3% from the earliest numbers of last year’s Patriots’ 34-28 comeback victory over the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday’s game is looking to be the sixth highest-rated Super Bowl ever. With more streaming options than ever this year, last night’s game is up 9% in metered market results compared with when the Patriots and Eagles last clashed in the NFL title game, at Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005."

The 47.4/70 are monster numbers that only the NFL can achieve.  For the foreseeable future, they are, for advertisers and networks, the surest bet by far.

I watched, was always planning to, but my wife couldn't stand watching NE come back in the second half, so she kept changing the channel!!!!  Pretty funny.  Great game. The most impressive thing for me was the fact that not one, but two calls that were "Not Reversed".  I would have sworn on my grandmothers grave that both would be reversed simply because it was the Patriots on the other side of the ball.  

That must of pissed Brady off more than anything else that happened last night.  

and BTW, I am officially not a fan of Chris Collingsworth.  What a D.B.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You left out this:

"the number that really matters right now is the 47.4/70 in metered market ratings that yesterday’s Super Bowl delivered. Dipping by a slight 3% from the earliest numbers of last year’s Patriots’ 34-28 comeback victory over the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday’s game is looking to be the sixth highest-rated Super Bowl ever. With more streaming options than ever this year, last night’s game is up 9% in metered market results compared with when the Patriots and Eagles last clashed in the NFL title game, at Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005."

The 47.4/70 are monster numbers that only the NFL can achieve.  For the foreseeable future, they are, for advertisers and networks, the surest bet by far.

The headline is correct.

I suspect everyone watched it. To wit: https://sports.yahoo.com/ratings-eagles-patriots-super-bowl-just-3-still-eight-year-low-153550105.html

NBC provided local numbers, and of course the game demolished in the ratings. It was the top-rated Super Bowl of all time in Philadelphia, pulling a 56.2 metered market rating. The numbers for Boston were slightly less at 55.9, and it was just the fourth-highest rated Super Bowl out of the Patriots’ 10 appearances. Oddly, Buffalo pulled the highest local ratings of the night, at 56.4. Go figure.

44 minutes ago, Dan said:

I didn't watch.  I might later on a replay.  But, if the league is going to allow the refs to continually give that one team every break possible, just so they can be the greatest dynasty of ever... Then I have zero interest in watching them play.   ...other than when they play the Bills.

I didn't watch either.  I feel exactly the same as you.

I didn't expect officiating favoritism in the SB, there's too much interest there.  And I don;t think the league much cares who wins, just who gets in.  They think Brady is ratings gold.  Maybe he is in general.  But after the proven cheating, coupled with the sometimes ridiculous officiating, I just don't care any more.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll never understand people who like the NFL but refuse to watch the superbowl.   Maybe I'm just lucky that I have a family and friends that enjoy get togethers and parties.

What a great time.   Even the Falcons loss last year was still exciting football despite the whiners winning it.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

For the foreseeable future, they are, for advertisers and networks, the surest bet by far.

You know, unless of course someone at the network goofs and instead of your ad they show a blank screen...

Ok, I outed myself, I watched when I said I wouldn't.

15 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I'll never understand people who like the NFL but refuse to watch the superbowl.   Maybe I'm just lucky that I have a family and friends that enjoy get togethers and parties.

What a great time.   Even the Falcons loss last year was still exciting football despite the whiners winning it.

That's just it... I love football.  Have always watched as much as I can.  Hell, I'm on a football team's message board right now.  But.. I don't want to support a product I see as rigged.  About the only way I can show my dislike with the way the league is going is not watching.  So, that was my choice.   It sucks.  I'd rather watch the Super Bowl like I always have.  Maybe be next year.. .we'll see.  

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Dan,

The best part of this Super Bowl last night was actually the opposite of Bolded. The officiating was called right for once IMO.

2 crucial Eagles TD's that normally would have been called back in fav of the Pats were not. Just way too many people watching to tarnish the league if they called back legit TD's.

Was a fantastic game...

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

That's just it... I love football.  Have always watched as much as I can.  Hell, I'm on a football team's message board right now.  But.. I don't want to support a product I see as rigged.  About the only way I can show my dislike with the way the league is going is not watching.  So, that was my choice.   It sucks.  I'd rather watch the Super Bowl like I always have.  Maybe be next year.. .we'll see.  

Wow, that SB last night was rigged too?? 

What gave it away?