The one thing I am afraid of in the draft...

Big Turk

I'm worried the Bills will end up getting antsy with the QB position and then end up trading up for their 3rd or 4th choice.  They would give up both assets and not get one of their top choices which I think wpuld be an even bigger disaster than not drafting a guy at all

Why would you think this?  We have no idea out of these guys who is going to wind up any good anyway. 

The idea of it being a disaster is overblown to me.  Even under the best of circumstances first round QBs work out 50% of the time.  None of these guys is a Luck or Elway type.  I am sure Beane and his staff are doing extensive work on these guys.  If they see a guy they feel they have to have I see them moving up to get him.  And then all you can do is hope it works out.

To use your terminology, what would be a bigger "disaster"? Using a ton of picks to move up and get your top guy, and not have him pan out?  Or getting say the 4th guy you like, saving picks, and not have him work out?

It's a gigantic crap shoot when all is said and done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm worried the Bills will end up getting antsy with the QB position and then end up trading up for their 3rd or 4th choice.  They would give up both assets and not get one of their top choices which I think wpuld be an even bigger disaster than not drafting a guy at all

I don't think McBeane will burn much more than an additional pick as opposed to a few first round choices to move up to the mid-teens.  As a matter of fact I don't think he is going up at all and if I could read his mind I would say anything he grabs will be at the 21 spot on down.  Put me down as one of those who believe that 2018 could be a mini rebuild year but then we are set for a while.  I'll take a little pain this year if something good can be expected down the road.

1 minute ago, Perk71 said:

I'm afraid of heights :blink:

But I'm a nice guy, I swear...

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It's a gigantic crap shoot when all is said and done.

Much like life.  :beer:

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Ever been to NC and seen jumping spiders? Nasty.

You gotta be kidding me?!

That is F'd up.  I don't even want to know such a spider exists.

Clifford "Clipper" Franklin in The Replacements was right to be scared of spiders.

EDIT:  to show proper respect.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

My big fear is we give up 3 first rounders for Darnold or Allen. Those guys are very high bust risks, it wouldset us back years. Please... no!

Sit tight, and if Mayfield somehow falls out of the top-10, then start looking to move up. But only for a 1st & a 2nd, plus a low round pick if needed.

40 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I get it, I kind of feel the same way too. We're not going to trade up to get either Darnold / Rosen (anyone else is a crap shoot). If they do move up, how much will they have to give up? Since we will have have holes to fill, I like having all the early picks we've accumulated. We've had a glaring hole since Kelly retired though. For the life of me, I'm not sold on Mayfield. I'm not sure why. Oh well...all we can do is sit on the sidelines and discuss for the next (nearly) three months. 

I have to agree with @oldmanfan, its a craps shoot. You really never really know who is going to work out and who's not. The scouts do their "due diligence" and hope for the best that everything works out. 

I certainly don't see Beane and McD moving that far up unless the guy they REALLY want slips. But with Cleavland having picks at #1 and #4 they are definitely taking a QB at one of those spots, most likely #1. After that it's a matter of what Indy, Denver and the NYJ do. Most of what happens draft day is going to depend on where Cousins lands in FA. Now that Washington has Smith, its clear he's not staying in Washington. If we move up, I think it's going to be in the low teens, somewhere around 13. But hey...what do i know, I'm just a nobody amateur spewing conjecture. 

14 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I get it, I kind of feel the same way too. We're not going to trade up to get either Darnold / Rosen (anyone else is a crap shoot). If they do move up, how much will they have to give up? Since we will have have holes to fill, I like having all the early picks we've accumulated. We've had a glaring hole since Kelly retired though. For the life of me, I'm not sold on Mayfield. I'm not sure why. Oh well...all we can do is sit on the sidelines and discuss for the next (nearly) three months. 

Def watch a few mayfield games and tape. He is nasty. Hes def top 3 this draft. Accuracy, progressions, elusiveness, and clutch ability.

My biggest fear is us staying pat at 21 and 22 and taking whatever qb is left over.

Jua trade up for your franchise qb mcbeane. As long as its not Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Yet this fan base was mostly Okay with Whaley giving up two firsts and a fourth for a WR that is now gone and didn't pan out as expected.  This was as little as 2014 and it didn't set the team back for five years. 

The good thing about the Alex Smith to Washington is that now the Redskins are out of the QB in the first round. Rosen and Darnold would be cost prohibitive in trading up for it might take next years first plus more too. Besides, Darnold has a slightly longer throwing motion. 

The Bills might need to get up to the #4 pick to beat out Denver, the NY Jets on Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen. Then if they want Mason Rudolf, Lamar Jackson they might need to trade up with Cincy or Washinton to beat Arizona to the next pair of QBs. I think Josh Allen really elevated his stock in the Senior Bowl. 

Or they could stay put and look at guys like Luke Faulk, Mike White, and others. 

Let's hope these new Buffalo scouts and GM know their stuff in evaluating NFL QB prospects.

BTW, Denver or the NY Jets landing Captain Kirk will really change things too. Buffalo could still be in that running and if so a QB will no longer be a top priority.