Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

Obviously you don't "throw him in the trash heap" after one season.

But you also have to understand that some prospects deserve more time than others.  Guys with a very large ceiling, or guys who clearly seem to be progressing quickly need to be shown priority.  You just can't give every quarterback on your roster 3-4 years to improve.  It's important for coaches to understand a player's strengths and weaknesses, then watch how they are progressing during practice and during real games.  And every player is different.

Someone like EJ Manuel deserved more development time, because he already had all the physical tools to become a successful QB and the right attitude to work hard.  For him, the biggest problem was mechanics (which drastically hurt his throwing accuracy).  Once it became clear that his mechanics weren't going to get better at the NFL level, it was time to cut bait.

On the flip side, Nate Peterman just doesn't seem to have the arm strength to make all the throws.  It's a clear and identifiable ceiling to his game.  That's why he wasn't a high draft pick, and why most don't believe he can become more than a good backup in the NFL.  Bills coaches can spend the offseason helping Peterman work on improving his power and drive into throws.  But if it doesn't take a big jump by next year, it's safe to assume it's not an issue that will improve.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think you throw him to the trash heap before the season, every team needs a camp arm. Saying that, you bring in competition and make him earn his job, he shouldn't get any free passes because he's a.) a young QB or b.)went into action early. He should be treated like every other player that is drafted late. If a better prospect comes along and beats him out, then so be it.

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

He has a baby arm, sucks under pressure and is ugly. I wish we would clean the QB room completely and start from scratch there. Peterman is not the answer. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

why not be all inclusive?  

Peterman is not the answer. 

Taylor is not the answer. 

Webb is not the answer. 

he kind of did...

I second that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I guess it's how one reads it.  I think it can be taken a number of ways. 

"they would be OK with going into next season with Peterman as the QB". 

• Does that mean that think he's a franchise guy?
  • Does that mean that think he will improve and be a good QB?
  • Does that mean that think he's anyone but Taylor? 

The caveat is "what else does Beane and McDermott do to improve the QB situation".  

I want to give each and every new player a chance to prove them self and not judge them too harshly too soon. 

I'm squarely in this camp.

If we can't get another QB who's better, and Peterman had a good camp and preseason, I'm okay with giving him the go ahead.

Do I think he'll be a franchise guy?

No I don't

Do I think he's an improvement to tyrod?

He might wind up getting there.

Anybody but tyrod?

YEP.

I say draft a rookie shytcan Tyrod and let Peterman and the rookie battle it out to see who starts. If they are going to give up their first born in the draft to get a rookie QB he should play immediately if not there's no point. Get a stop gap better than Tyrod and get a rookie further down the draft to groom for a season then let him rip.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

When did Fitzpatrick's smarts translate to making good decisions as a QB?  

I think he made a lot of good decisions. A lot of times he just didn't have the arm to get the ball there. Although he did often get stumped against Rex's defense. 

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think he made a lot of good decisions. A lot of times he just didn't have the arm to get the ball there. Although he did often get stumped against Rex's defense. 

His awful TD/INT ratio is at least partially attributable to bad decision making in addition to physical limitations. 

8 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

He has a baby arm, sucks under pressure and is ugly. I wish we would clean the QB room completely and start from scratch there. Peterman is not the answer. 

Peterman is poison to this coaching staff.   Suppose they start him in a regular season game and he plays poorly (like he has so far).    Everyone including the media, fans, players and Pegulas will put a large percentage of the blame on McDermott for playing him.   Truth is that Peterman has shown zero reason whatsoever to justify giving him a shot at another start.   He hasn't shown any upside at all - just downside.  

Only way Peterman starts a regular season game for the Bills again (in my opinion) is if the Bills are forced to start him because of injury while Peterman is still on this team.

I think odds are decent that he is not on the team at all for the first game of the regular season.    I think Bills will either outright cut him during preseason if he sucks bad enough or else (if he plays well) showcase him hard in preseason and then look to get rid of him in a trade somehow somewhere.

It just seems like Peterman has an insurmountable uphill climb at this point and I think the Bills already know that.

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman has about as much chance of being on the Bills 2018 regular season roster as SaviorPeterman.

There will not be room for him.

....agreed...the Peterman "era" is over....he overstayed his EXTENDED welcome....need to make room for Jimmy The Pickle, Victoria Barkley and hopefully The Cutlet if Fins reluctantly let him go....why bother with developing damn rookies with that Three Headed Monster in waiting?......

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agreed...the Peterman "era" is over....he overstayed his EXTENDED welcome....need to make room for Jimmy The Pickle, Victoria Barkley and hopefully The Cutlet if Fins reluctantly let him go....why bother with developing damn rookies with that Three Headed Monster in waiting?......

It's not the end of the Peterman era, it's the end of the Peterman error.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman has about as much chance of being on the Bills 2018 regular season roster as SaviorPeterman.

There's almost no way to avoid this logic :

• The Bills will draft a QB with a high pick; he won't be cut
  • The Bills will bring in a vet; McDermott will not go into a season w/ rookie & Peterman alone
  • The Bills will not carry three quarterbacks - someone goes to the practice squad.

Now it's just barely possible the veteran gets beaten out by Peterman, but highly unlikely.

Why bring in a veteran who can't easily out-perform Peterman?

4 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Maybe not, it's just hilarious how bad he was.

Also he's a 5th round pick. Let's bring back Tuel and Levi Brown while they're at it. Can't blame em for having a few bad games.

I actually thought Levi Brown showed some promise.  But the Chanimal gave up on him so I guess he was not good enough.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:18 PM, Sky Diver said:

First off, I don't think that starting him at an away game was the best decision, Plus, he got no help from the offensive line. On at least a couple of the interceptions he was hit as he was releasing the ball.

Peterman was clearly brought in because Taylor wasn't throwing the ball downfield. Consequently he overcompensated and should have the eaten the ball in a couple of cases where he tried to make plays.

I'll reserve judgment on Peterman until the Bills strengthen the offensive line.

I wouldn't make it dependent on the OL, but from what has been said, he's making the plays in practice to make them think he's very much worth keeping. 

Beyond that, we'll just have to see. Can't see them letting him go this year, at least unless he totally stops progressing or something.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's not against the law to carry three. Happens reasonably often. I think the Vikes did it at some point last year, Denver. Jets, I think. It happens and it could easily happen here. And one of the main reasons it happens is because a team doesn't have a #1 they're happy with and so they want options, which is the situation here right now. My guess is he'll either be on the roster or the PS.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 1/31/2018 at 8:18 AM, Sky Diver said:

First off, I don't think that starting him at an away game was the best decision, Plus, he got no help from the offensive line. On at least a couple of the interceptions he was hit as he was releasing the ball.

Peterman was clearly brought in because Taylor wasn't throwing the ball downfield. Consequently he overcompensated and should have the eaten the ball in a couple of cases where he tried to make plays.

I'll reserve judgment on Peterman until the Bills strengthen the offensive line.

5th round pick

I put this subject in the background. It's on Nate Peterman to prove if he's worthy. Just like any Bills QB I would hope for the best.

I ultimately decided I can't judge any QB in Buffalo. It's like judging a chef with no kitchen to cook in. I even think you could of thrown an elite QB in that mess and they would look mediocre. I even decided to stop being critical of Tyrod. 

The offense as a whole was completely broken and I can't allow myself the fantasy that one man will turn the entire unit around. 

Them firing Dennison gives me a little confidence that they are throwing whatever offensive philosophy and game plan in the trash heap and taking it more seriously next season.

At least I don't have mayjor question marks about defense going into next seasons. I have strong feelings it's gonna be an elite unit.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

I put this subject in the background. It's on Nate Peterman to prove if he's worthy. Just like any Bills QB I would hope for the best.

I ultimately decided I can't judge any QB in Buffalo. It's like judging a chef with no kitchen to cook in. I even think you could of thrown an elite QB in that mess and they would look mediocre. I even decided to stop being critical of Tyrod. 

The offense as a whole was completely broken and I can't allow myself the fantasy that one man will turn the entire unit around. 

Them firing Dennison gives me a little confidence that they are throwing whatever offensive philosophy and game plan in the trash heap and taking it more seriously next season.

At least I don't have mayjor question marks about defense going into next seasons. I have strong feelings it's gonna be an elite unit.

We need at least 2 LBs 2 DTs and a DE. This unit is far from being elite. 

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I wouldn't make it dependent on the OL, but from what has been said, he's making the plays in practice to make them think he's very much worth keeping. 

Beyond that, we'll just have to see. Can't see them letting him go this year, at least unless he totally stops progressing or something.

It's not against the law to carry three. Happens reasonably often. I think the Vikes did it at some point last year, Denver. Jets, I think. It happens and it could easily happen here. And one of the main reasons it happens is because a team doesn't have a #1 they're happy with and so they want options, which is the situation here right now. My guess is he'll either be on the roster or the PS.

For a lot of teams, there are reasons for and reasons against, as you say. There is not going to be a reason for the Bills next year though because they are going to draft a QB higher than the 5th round. That's a given. They are also going to sign a veteran QB (or keep Tyrod). That is also a given. There is no reason whatsoever to waste a roster spot on a SECOND young guy you are developing you know doesn't have the potential of your other draft pick. It doesn't even make any sense. Those roster spots are too valuable.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:40 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Are we really asking this? 

He was horrendous in his first start. Epic level of horrible. Not just to the eye, but to stats, history.

He threw a pick on 10% of his passes this season. Thats awful. Jeff Tuel had a better day against a better defense in his only start. Who didnt fully expect him to throw a pick in the playoff game? His arm is weak, he telegraphs passes. Hes a bad NFL QB. A very common tale. 

I don't understand the fascination with this kid. He seems like a nice kid who made a few good throws in preseason. Lots of guys have done that you never hear from again. Peterman is just the lastest one to play for the Bills

I stayed away from this thread til now.  I think the fascination is that we’ve been so sick of watching TT hold the ball and never let it rip, it was refreshing to see someone that will actually let it rip.  10% of the time to the other team, but still, he threw the ball.  That’s the facsination.  To have a QB that will throw the ball even when the WRs are somewhat covered.   And the fascination ends there.  If he can be a dependable backup I’d be very happy.

to answer the OP, no, we shouldn’t throw him in the trash heap, but we shouldn’t be very optimistic of him being anything more than a backup.  I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as his play so far but that just means he’s not the worst qb in the history of football, which is what he’s been 

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

For a lot of teams, there are reasons for and reasons against, as you say. There is not going to be a reason for the Bills next year though because they are going to draft a QB higher than the 5th round. That's a given. They are also going to sign a veteran QB (or keep Tyrod). That is also a given. There is no reason whatsoever to waste a roster spot on a SECOND young guy you are developing you know doesn't have the potential of your other draft pick. It doesn't even make any sense. Those roster spots are too valuable.

Neither of those is a given. Drafting someone higher than the 5th is an excellent guess and bringing in a vet a very good guess, IMHO, but they are not givens.

And there's plenty of reason to keep three guys around when none of the guys you have has proven himself.

And yeah, roster spots are valuable but let's not pretend we'd have to get rid of Shady or Kyle Williams or something to keep a third QB. Was Reid Ferguson so wildly valuable last year? Or Deon Lacey or Tanner Vallejo? 

And you DON'T know the second young guy doesn't have the potential of your other draft pick. You think so but you don't know, anymore than Dallas knew Tony Romo had more potential when they kept three guys or any more than St. Louis knew that Kurt Warner had more potential than the other two guys on their roster. When you don't know what you've got ... and we won't ... keeping a third guy is not at all a bad idea if he's still developing.

If he hits a ceiling, fine, give him the boot. If they just don't like him that much, great, see ya. If they become convinced that one of the guys they bring in is a sure thing, then yeah, the calculus changes. Right now they can't be sure of anything.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

When do you think we might see him start progressing?

Ask the coaches and the players, who have been saying they see it constantly. 

Edited by Thurman#1

Let me tell ya, guys like Nathan Peterman don't come along very often. I mean, we gotta CHERISH this talent. I'm really looking forward to what this kid might maybe do.

He might maybe just end up being just another guy. He might maybe end up just being just another guy that you can't remember his name, cuz you confuse him with Brian Brohm (who NEVER got his shot!!!).

He might maybe be another Brady? I mean, you can't say for sure, can you?

I think we should keep this kid around, until we know FOR SURE (and I mean FOR SURE, that he ain't no Brady). It might take 3 or 4 seasons, but I don't wanna rush him out the door. He deserves EVERY opportunity to PROVE that he isn't the next Brady. Ya get me?

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Ask the coaches and the players, who have been saying they see it constantly. 

They have?  Got proof?

To me it is ridiculous that a guy who is worse than Jeff Tuel (I mean really Tuel was FAR superior to Peterman) would still be on a team after the season he just had.

Peterman meet curb.   C-ya.   Uber needs drivers.