Oh Fitz, why wasn’t it you?

Virgil

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Fitz is a qb that get you to 2-2 if your starter goes down for a four-game stretch. That's what you want in a backup, and I'd sign him in a second.  He played reasonably well for TB, this season, and the team went 2-1 in the games he started (and the one they lost went down to the last minute). 

I wouldn't hesitate to bring him back to be a backup, knowing that our starter will absolutely get hurt as long as he is on the roster of course. 

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I don't really think they overpayed Mario.  He was awesome, until his last season...he got old.

They paid Mario something like $66 million for one good season, one terrific season season, and one monster season. For a player at a premier position (pass rushing DE), that's not a bad deal at all.  Stars get paid. He played like a star for those three seasons. He also had a dog season too, worth about maybe 2.5 million. You figure that he got paid about $21 million per season for his three good seasons. I'll take than any day.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should've been retained as a bridge QB, but they needlessly extended and overpaid him (sound familiar) and then had to cut bait when he couldn't live up to his contract.

The Bills love to overpay guys (or overcommit draft picks) and then get buyer's remorse.

I think there was a period where management had the philosophy that players won't come or stay in Buffalo unless we overpaid, hence some stupid contracts. Hopefully this new group will manage things better.

I think Fritz might have stayed for a little less money. There was numerous articles at the time about how he embraced & liked Buffalo. He was winning games at the time but after the new contract he seemed to have the game losing turnovers in the 4th quarter. Maybe he was pressing too hard to win games. Hill Billy Nix being caught on tape throwing Fritz under the bus didn't help.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fitz is a qb that get you to 2-2 if your starter goes down for a four-game stretch. That's what you want in a backup, and I'd sign him in a second.  He played reasonably well for TB, this season, and the team went 2-1 in the games he started (and the one they lost went down to the last minute). 

If he were the QB in year 1 of Marrone the drought would have been over then.     

Eating Fitz' dead money to hide Buddy Nix' Deadspin embarrassment was some bulls*t.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Isn't that the truth. Overpaid for Mario, Fitz, Dareus, Clay, Glenn. Maybe that's the only way players will come to or stay in Buffalo? Shady is the only big name player we've had in the last 6-7 years worth the money.

Maybe if the Bills put winning ahead of profits, they'd develop a coherent policy/program in regards to drafting/retaining talent and wouldn't be signing and then cutting veterans.

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe if the Bills put winning ahead of profits, they'd develop a coherent policy/program in regards to drafting/retaining talent and wouldn't be signing and then cutting veterans.

Or letting players leave as free agents and then using  their 1st round pick to replace them.

1 hour ago, FappyTheClown said:

It doesn't take a Harvard grad to know how to throw to guys wearing the same jersey as you.

JUSSSSSSSSAYIN!

Surely, you are mistaking the NFL with sand lot football. Three years of TT might do that to someone! 

Jus' sayin'...

Edited by cd1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

We've gone from a QB who was sure to take a sack (Losman) in the final seconds, to a QB who was sure to throw a pick (Fitzpatrick), to a guy who refuses to do either and just runs out of bounds (Tyrod).  The result is pretty much the same.  Game over.

Map you’re saying we’ve finally exhausted all the other options and the next on can’t miss?!?!? 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Isn't that the truth. Overpaid for Mario, Fitz, Dareus, Clay, Glenn. Maybe that's the only way players will come to or stay in Buffalo? Shady is the only big name player we've had in the last 6-7 years worth the money.

I think those big splashy moves are behind us  now. Don’t see more of that coming in the future 

One thing we know about Fitz.  We wouldn't have had 3rd and kitty.  He'd have gotten that first down against the Broncos.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mario had three good years (38 sacks), then tailed off in year 4.  Contract wasn't a total disaster like Dareus and Fitz.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should've been retained as a bridge QB, but they needlessly extended and overpaid him (sound familiar) and then had to cut bait when he couldn't live up to his contract.

The Bills love to overpay guys (or overcommit draft picks) and then get buyer's remorse.

....a result of a patchwork FO and Administration comprised of people in positions NOT qualified for or WELL beyond their prime.......Brandon offered Fitz back up to atone for his crazy deal and Fitz said, "I'll get starter money somewhere"......they signed him as the Rams & Bengals journeyman who would pose no threat to the anointed starter, Spent Trent Edwards....

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It was the Bills only way to seem relevant over the drought years. They couldn’t do it on the field so they tried to make up for it during the draft or free agency occasionally. 

2 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Or letting players leave as free agents and then using  their 1st round pick to replace them.

That's all part of not putting winning ahead of profits.  The Bills could have had their QB last year but they needed to replace Gilmore ... and don't forget that they also used a second on Zay Jones since they let both Woods and Goodwin go, too.  Since the late 1990s, they've used an inordinate number of first and second round draft picks to replace the DBs, WRs, and RBs that they didn't re-sign after their rookie contracts.   White is a very nice player, and maybe neither Mahomes nor Watson develop into franchise QBs but they needed a QB in 2017, had an opportunity to take one, and passed on all of them until Day 3.  Now, they're exactly where they were last year at this time, only they have the 21st pick rather than the 10th.  :thumbdown:

Edited by SoTier

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

Did you see/hear his interview on Murphs show? You'll wish he was here even more. Great guy. Absolutely loves Buffalo. A small part of me wouldn't mind if he was our back up this year 

Quarterback coach?

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yet the two guys they most overpaid for, ever, were never going to bring them to the playoffs.  Zero chance.

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems to often be the problem.  If you're smart enough to play QB in the NFL, often you then don't have the physical skills, in his case arm strength.  Flutie was a height problem.

I always wished that Fitz could have actually used his brain more on the football field. Everyone knows that he is physically limited, except for himself when he’s on the field. If Fitz could have learned what he is physically capable of, he might have been a really good QB. Instead, he often forces the ball into places that his arm strength doesn’t allow. Far too often this occurred during crucial moments in the game. If he knew his limitations, and had better situational awareness he’d be a better QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I always wished that Fitz could have actually used his brain more on the football field. Everyone knows that he is physically limited, except for himself when he’s on the field. If Fitz could have learned what he is physically capable of, he might have been a really good QB. Instead, he often forces the ball into places that his arm strength doesn’t allow. Far too often this occurred during crucial moments in the game. If he knew his limitations, and had better situational awareness he’d be a better QB. 

I agree, the amount of times that Fitz threw that fade route INT because the arm strength wasn't always there was ridiculous. One INT  in particular I remember was against the Giants in NY and it killed us. Like Dirty Harry said "A mans gotta learn his limitations".

• Like (+1) 1