Happy Refs Glad-Handing pats* After Win

judman

1 hour ago, judman said:

Cameras found a couple of refs grinning and giving atta boys to pats players. 

link

This honestly doesn’t bother me as long as there are some boundaries. I don’t want Tom to be playing golf with the guy 3 times a week all offseason- but these are humans in close contact with other humans and ideally all with a shared passion for the game. I don’t mind a “good game” moment or chatting pregame,  or throwing a comment after a big play.

i likewise don’t get fired up when coaches or players are friendly with opponents.

but I get how it all can run people the wrong way.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

This honestly doesn’t bother me as long as there are some boundaries. I don’t want Tom to be playing golf with the guy 3 times a week all offseason- but these are humans in close contact with other humans and ideally all with a shared passion for the game. I don’t mind a “good game” moment or chatting pregame,  or throwing a comment after a big play.

i likewise don’t get fired up when coaches or players are friendly with opponents.

but I get how it all can run people the wrong way.

How would you feel if the VP of the general contracting firm that built Gillette Stadium was head referee for one of their playoff games?

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How would you feel if the VP of the general contracting firm that built Gillette Stadium was head referee for one of their playoff games?

I think it’s dicey. But also a guy that joined the firm 10 years after the contract finished and the league almost 10 more years later, right? It’s not like a guy that directly worked on the deal In any way shape or form?

of the conflicts out there I thought a former falcons player reffing the saints falcons game was a worse example.

the league would be well served to avoid these optics even if there’s no documented issue.

I'm totally not looking forward to have that Jean Skeletetore doing the SB. He thinks he's a rock star or something. His piece of paper schtick was silly. He's the new Guns. I'm sure he'll make sure to get a lot of face time.

Edited by reddogblitz

This is why NFL reffing is a joke.  I've been an official in different sports, and the only handshakes we did were at home plate or center court before the game.  You never congratulated the victors after the game, you went straight to the locker room, changed, and went home.  This behavior is completely unacceptable for a sports official.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh my lord. The blocker had his hands on the inside, and that is literally never called. I think this board has gone collectively insane today -- Patriots Derangement Syndrome. 

Last I heard, having an arm lock on a guy and preventing him from running to the ball is holding....

• Like (+1) 2

hes not cheering the TD:  

The runner got tackled way after the TD. It should have been a penalty for personal foul.  Then there was a melee and its obvious the ref is in there trying to separate and something was said and he more or less smiles and says: ( what seems to be ) " enough, alright " 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Last I heard, having an arm lock on a guy and preventing him from running to the ball is holding....

If the hands are on the inside, it is never called. If it was, holding would be called on an offensive lineman on quite literally every play from scrimmage in every nfl game over the past quarter century. Come on. 

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If the hands are on the inside, it is never called. If it was, holding would be called on an offensive lineman on quite literally every play from scrimmage in every nfl game over the past quarter century. Come on. 

Not true once the player brakes  free and is past the blocker, he has to release, this did not happen here...

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

It's always called once the defender loses position and keeps his ARM "around" the attacker. What are you even talking about?

Was there 1 holding call the whole game? Maybe on special teams vs NE. Looks like they were consistent. 

The Jags had a few penalties that were pre snap, delay of game and illegal shift. They had the hit to the head and PI on Ramsey. So 4 calls that were obvious. The other PI was questionable, but that has been called. Defender got his head around late. 

20 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Was there 1 holding call the whole game? Maybe on special teams vs NE. Looks like they were consistent. 

The Jags had a few penalties that were pre snap, delay of game and illegal shift. They had the hit to the head and PI on Ramsey. So 4 calls that were obvious. The other PI was questionable, but that has been called. Defender got his head around late. 

New England was the beneficiary of 98 penalty yards while being flagged just once for six yards. 

The Jaguars also had a potential touchdown taken away when Myles Jack's recovery of a Dion Lewis fumble was mysteriously whistled dead. 

I also noticed some Gillete clock shenanigans right before the 2:00 warning as well.

Edited by reddogblitz

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think the refs favor them but I have no problem with the ref congratulating Brady, we're witnessing something that may never be broken in our lifetime, mad respect and don't get me wrong it's annoying as !@#$ to see them keep winning every year but you also have to give credit where it's due.

They're refs, not fans. or at least they shouldn't be anyway. If they can't put their fandom down at the game,they have no place being refs IMHO. They should avoid even the perception  of partiality.

Edited by reddogblitz

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think the refs favor them but I have no problem with the ref congratulating Brady, we're witnessing something that may never be broken in our lifetime, mad respect and don't get me wrong it's annoying as !@#$ to see them keep winning every year but you also have to give credit where it's due.

I had "mad respect" for Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, all achieving incredible championship tallies, but I have no respect for Tom Brady.  Yesterday it felt like Brady was just throwing it as far as he could in order to draw a flag.  It's not within the spirit of the game, and that it pays off for him, but not other QB's is why I have no respect for the man.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:53 PM, GoBills808 said:

Steretore was laughing because he went to break up the two pats players and they said they where celebrating. There was shoving and stuff going on after whites td. 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

New England was the beneficiary of 98 penalty yards while being flagged just once for six yards. 

The Jaguars also had a potential touchdown taken away when Myles Jack's recovery of a Dion Lewis fumble was mysteriously whistled dead. 

I also noticed some Gillete clock shenanigans right before the 2:00 warning as well.

Because the PI rule is dumb.

Jack was ruled down by contact. That is a tough call. At least they gave them the fumble on the field. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

You guys who continue to believe this is holding by current NFL standards root for a team (Buffalo) that has one of the most hold-happy o-lines in the league. Watch Wood and Incognito on a play by play basis. They appear to operate under the Pete Carroll philosophy of "if you hold all of the time, the refs are still only going to call it pretty rarely." Regardless, what you see above is not even close to holding by the standards of today's NFL. If the hand gets inside of the shoulders, it ain't a hold. Watch pretty much any random set of plays in a random NFL game and you will quickly see what I mean. The Pats Derangement Syndrome on this board continues to be strong.

FWIW, Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller were talking about this on Sirius NFL yesterday and basically said "nothing to see here." 

Their take was that the QB and refs are talking the entire game (as is the MLB on the D side) about what they're going to do, things to watch out for, etc. and that it's just not that out of the ordinary for a ref to give a congrats, or good game, or butt pat (their words) after a game.  Add in the fact the some of the refs and long term players have known each other for many years, and it's really not that odd.  Bad optics maybe, but not conspiracy level stuff... :D 

12 hours ago, fridge said:

I had "mad respect" for Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, all achieving incredible championship tallies, but I have no respect for Tom Brady.  Yesterday it felt like Brady was just throwing it as far as he could in order to draw a flag.  It's not within the spirit of the game, and that it pays off for him, but not other QB's is why I have no respect for the man.

You're entitled to your own opinion and I can respect that, maybe you'll appreciate what were witnessing when he retires but probably not from the sound of it lol.

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

They're refs, not fans. or at least they shouldn't be anyway. If they can't put their fandom down at the game,they have no place being refs IMHO. They should avoid even the perception  of partiality.

I agree that refs shouldn't favor any 1 team/player but how can that be said for a guy congratulating him after the game? If the Pats weren't in our division and in the NFC I don't think there would be this much hate and talk about it imo.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I agree that refs shouldn't favor any 1 team/player but how can that be said for a guy congratulating him after the game? If the Pats weren't in our division and in the NFC I don't think there would be this much hate and talk about it imo.

Why does he need to congratulate anyone after the game?  He's a ref,not a fan boy, or shouldn't be anyway IMHO. 

Send him an edible bouquet next week if you must "congratulate" him somehow.

They should avoid even the perception  of partiality.