The Teddy Bridgewater Thread

Rigotz

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Vikes give Keenum a nice starter deal like Glennon+....Teddy gets a back up deal with starter incentives and Bradford is the odd man out......and no to Bflo for Sam.....

Keenum doesn't sign for Glennon money, $15 mill a year, or rather if I'm Keenum, I sure don't sign for that. Not even close. When has Glennon ever had a year like Keenum just had? Hell when has Glennon ever had a year like Bridgewater's 2015? He hasn't. This is Keenum's time to cash in. Someone will give him good money and if they don't he won't sign long-term, I suspect.

And Teddy doesn't sign a backup deal as it would make him more likely to be the backup.

I can see them trying to sign both and maybe even succeeding, but they're going to have to spend to do it, IMHO.

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....unfortunately what Teddy WANTS versus what the market dictates may be apples versus oranges.....look at the QB market in two tiers.....Glennon at $15+ mil versus Carr at $25+ mil.......which tier would you put Teddy in based on experience and coming off a serious injury?......logically it would be Glennon but would you gamble on that deal not knowing if TB is back to normal AND for the long term?...expensive roll of the dice IMO.........

So if the Vikes don't give him that deal, which could certainly happen, if I'm Teddy, I say, "So long, and thanks for all the fish," and I go out looking for offers. My bet is somebody gives him a contract somewhere in the $17 - $20 range. I would like it to be Buffalo, and for the Bills to also draft someone high.

Teddy had a really good 2015, as a second-year guy. We don't know what his ceiling is but he likely hasn't reached it if his knee is OK, and it probably is.

My guess is they keep Keenum and decide they can't afford both.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Keenum looked more like a backup QB again against the Eagles. It was Pat Shurmur  who had him playing so well before Schwartz had him figured out.

Shurmur was also the Eagles OC in 2013 that had Foles look so good.  Minn has a tough decision to make unless their QBs compete in camp  for starter position  like GunnerBill said.

Giants could trade down , rebuild and Shurmur will take it from there .  imo

Giants Fans, Meet Pat Shurmur

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/24/new-york-giants-head-coach-pat-shurmur-themmqb-newsletter

Edited by ALF
spelling error

On 1/22/2018 at 4:13 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Someone else showed he throws to his WRs 4% more frequently than TT.

His offenses are terrible.  In the 4th Q he has a career total of 5 TDs and 4 ints.  in the second half of all games in his career, he has 9 TDs and 9 ints---those are totals.  Trailing with 2 minutes or less to go, he has zero TDs, 1 int.  His rating is 69.

In 2015, Teddy's fourth-quarter totals were 66.4% completions, a very good 7.46 YPC, 3 TDs and 2 INTs and a rating of 90. Last two minutes of a half he  completed 60.9% for a low 6.22 YPA, but 5 TDs and 2 INTs and a rating of 90.8

Those are his splits from ESPN.

And that was as a 2nd year man. That can't be understated. Tyrod got to Buffalo and started starting in his fifth year. He had a major head start, but didn't use it well.

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

Giants could trade down , rebuild and Shurmur will take it from there .  imo

That is exactly what I suspect they are planning to do. I think Gettleman and Shurmer are going to take a similar approach to what McDermott did this year in Buffalo.  Park the QB decision for a year, rebuild the culture in the locker room which is totally broken - lean on Eli as a leader.  I think they will build the lines and dump some big underperforming defensive contracts and then do what it takes to go big at Quarterback in 2019.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is exactly what I suspect they are planning to do. I think Gettleman and Shurmer are going to take a similar approach to what McDermott did this year in Buffalo.  Park the QB decision for a year, rebuild the culture in the locker room which is totally broken - lean on Eli as a leader.  I think they will build the lines and dump some big underperforming defensive contracts and then do what it takes to go big at Quarterback in 2019.  

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of that but you could be right.

On the other hand, much better to get the new guy in and get him watching film and developing for a year ... if possible. Could go either way, I guess. But the Giants won't be sure to get the #2 pick next year. That'll weigh heavy in their deliberations.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of that but you could be right.

On the other hand, much better to get the new guy in and get him watching film and developing for a year ... if possible. Could go either way, I guess. But the Giants won't be sure to get the #2 pick next year. That'll weigh heavy in their deliberations.

Yea I would not be surprised if they picked a QB at #2... it is what I would do.  I think the way they botched the Eli thing this season is making this all much more complicated for them.  My gut tells me they are going to be open to offers and based on Beane's comments yesterday I think the sense around the league is that they will as well.  Maybe that changes between now and April when they get these guys in. They could easily fall in love with one of these Quarterbacks and decide to go that route.  But as of now if you are a team wanting a trade partner then the Giants at #2 are still very much on the table.  

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

In 2015, Teddy's fourth-quarter totals were 66.4% completions, a very good 7.46 YPC, 3 TDs and 2 INTs and a rating of 90. Last two minutes of a half he  completed 60.9% for a low 6.22 YPA, but 5 TDs and 2 INTs and a rating of 90.8

Those are his splits from ESPN.

And that was as a 2nd year man. That can't be understated. Tyrod got to Buffalo and started starting in his fifth year. He had a major head start, but didn't use it well.

Big deal.  The highlighted numbers are below mediocre for 16 quarters of play.  I was responding to a post that claimed TB was a 4th Q clutch QB.  He isn't as the splits I posted prove.

Dak Prescott is far better after 2 seasons.  Winston was better.   So was Mariota. etc.

It doesn't matter whaere the two (TT and TB ) are in their careers as starters.  The only question is, by replacing TT with TB, what are you getting right now?  I say "not much".

He is what he is, a guy who doesn't pass for many yards or TDs, and doesn't score with his legs. He is not suddenly going to become a totally different kind of QB.  A prolific one.

It would make far more sense to keep TT and draft a QB than to get rid of TT and just roll with TB.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Eli is at the end of the road. Although is a stout person it is hard for a qb to be the leader of the team when at this stage in his long career he is a faltering qb. If the Giants would pick up a qb such as Bridgewater because of the complicated situation in Minnesota then I can see your scenario play out. If Shurmer and the front office believe that Rosen or their preferred qb in this draft is going to be their long term franchise qb then I don't see your scenario playing out. 

Shurmer's speciality is the offense and working with qbs. For his own career interests it is better to get a high end qb prospect on board in the beginning of his tenure than later in his tenure. As a Buffalo fan you should know very well that when you wait you fall into the category of aint!

Edited by JohnC

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Eli is at the end of the road. Although is a stout person it is hard for a qb to be the leader of the team when at this stage in his long career he is a faltering qb. If the Giants would pick up a qb such as Bridgewater because of the complicated situation in Minnesota then I can see your scenario play out. If Shurmer and the front office believe that Rosen or their preferred qb in this draft is going to be their long term franchise qb then I don't see your scenario playing out. 

Shurmer's speciality is the offense and working with qbs. For his own career interests it is better to get a high end qb prospect on board in the beginning of one's tenure than later in one's tenure. As a Buffalo fan you should know very wel thenl when you wait you fall into the category of aint!

They could fall in love with one... but as of now based on what I am hearing on the rumour mill I don't think they are intending to go QB at #2.  I repeat - I would if I were in their GM chair..... I just get a strong sense that they think they can still win and win now with Eli.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They could fall in love with one... but as of now based on what I am hearing on the rumour mill I don't think they are intending to go QB at #2.  I repeat - I would if I were in their GM chair..... I just get a strong sense that they think they can still win and win now with Eli.  

There are a variety of roads to success. So if they take the strategy that you indicated in your prior post then it in the end could work out. The Giants were a lackluster team last year that seemed to lose its heart and will. So trading down and getting multiple picks is a good way of injecting young talent into a tired roster. 

Make no mistake that my position is skewed because of the Buffalo neurosis of avoiding the long-term qb issue.. One of my major criticisms of Whaley is that he over-rated his roster. He too often thought it was closer to being a serious team than it actually was. I understand that he wanted to break the ignominious playoff drought but in the end not addressing the qb issue have cost him his job and plagued his franchise. 

Shumer knows what a franchise qb looks like. It's still my belief that if Rosen is available he will be captivated. It can't be lost that the ownership is emphasizing getting a high end qb prospect. After recently being pilloried they need a new interest point to deflect the depressing negativity. That's how I see it. 

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hokay, I give up.  Bridgewater 6-6 in first year as starter (the year of his 3 comeback games).  Taylor 7-6 his first year as starter.

Obviously, that means Bridgewater would win us more games

We do agree on Alex Smith, though.  If we're going for a bridge guy, he's my man over TT. 

Let's hope for Smith! Agree. I just want to move on from TT. 

On 1/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, Misterbluesky said:

This move would be a no brained if he does get released.However because of the risk factor I would bet Taylor would get another year.

IMO Keeping Tyrod at any level is just crazy talk. He is not worth that contract, at all. 4 years of sitting and 3 years of not good enough does not warrant that contract , let some other team buy that just like Fitz IMO.

A top drafted QB should be ready to take over by the mid point of the season the latest so IMO either grab Bridgewater  or some other cheap placeholder and be ready for the rookie year 1. I would even be fine with Peterman starting the season for a few games. That Tyrod or some other overpriced bridge vet money can be used on other positions IMO.

I would rather them take a step back and address the problem over putting another overpriced journeyman bandaid on it like so many fired staffs have done.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would expect it depends upon their analysis of this year's crop of QB.  The thing is, you don't get a chance to draft at the top without trading up, unless you suck.  So make good use of your suckage years so they don't continue, Gettleman.

I think the demise of Eli Manning has been greatly exaggerated.    The Giants games I saw, I saw pass after pass that looked catchable, and the guys he's throwing at couldn't haul it in.  He had no OL - second highest sacks in his career - and who? at WR.  Giants #2 in the league for "official" drops. 

Eli's demise was previously predicted back in 2013 when he had the highest total of sacks in his career.  His completions plummeted lower than this year, his passing yardage dropped, YPA were down...Eli was through.  Next year, OL improves, OBJ comes along, presto!  near-career high completions, yardage, YPA, TD....

OL and WR matter, peeps.  But that could be a reason to draft a rookie AND stay with Eli and let the rookie sit and learn while you try to get both together.

7 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Let's hope for Smith! Agree. I just want to move on from TT. 

We are in violent agreement here LOL!  My first choice is Cousins but it's time for an upgrade on Taylor.  Bring in a solid vet, draft a QB they like in the first 3 rounds and I'm good.

You know what I was thinking about last night, though - don't shoot me, it's not what I want!  When Jim Harbaugh was hired by the 49ers, everyone expected him to cut ways with Alex Smith.  It's like "f*ck it, you've had 6 years, you've never shown better than "meh", Move On.  All the talk pre-draft was which QB would SF draft, would they try to trade up to #2 and grab Gabbert, or would they hope for Ponder or Locker drafting at #7.

Instead Harbaugh comes in, hands Smith the playbook, and drafts Aldon Smith.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this makes a lot of sense. Honestly, if they fix their offensive line and ODB is healthy they could be Super Bowl contenders. Also with the hiring of James Bettcher, they will likely be going to a 3-4 defensive alignment which will require more draft picks to fill out. I'm not even sure how JPP will fit, but there will be some significant holes to fill with the switch.

I think a trade down makes a ton of sense for them. Would they be willing to drop all the way to 21+22 and take Cordy Glenn? it sure seems enticing if I am them. Or perhaps they take the approach that they don't expect to be up there again so they need to take a QB while they can. 

It’s widely believed that each of the three Vikings veteran quarterbacks will become unrestricted free agents in March. One of them still may not.

As PFT first explained in May, the Collective Bargaining Agreement states in clear and obvious terms that a contract tolls for any player who, in the last year of his deal, is physically unable to perform through the sixth game of the regular season. Bridgewater, who was on the PUP list to start the season, ultimately was physically unable to perform through Minnesota’s sixth game.

On 18/01/2018 at 1:57 PM, Bangarang said:

Throwing for 3000 yards and making the Pro Bowl as an alternate isn’t impressive.

His knee exploded a year ago so if he’s cheap and healthy then sure go for it. He can compete.

Why pay anything for a guy who was that badly hurt? Seriously. Would you pay anything for an exploding Pinto?  If he were a free agent, maybe. But I'm not giving up an asset for him.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's a pending UFA. 

"The Collective Bargaining Agreement contains a provision that plainly states the contract will toll if he remains on the Physically Unable to Perform through the sixth game of the 2017 regular season. With Bridgewater still recovering from a devastating knee injury suffered last August, a decision to leave him on the PUP list at the start of the regular season guarantees that he'll be on PUP for the first six games, because: (1) the window to exit PUP doesn't open until after Week Six; and (2) the Vikings don't have a bye in the first six weeks of the season."

DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said one major sticking point regards whether Bridgewater had been healthy enough to play for the Vikings before the end of his mandated six-week stay on the PUP list.

"One of the critical issues is whether he was medically cleared or whether he was medically able to play," Smith said, per The Athletic's Chad Graff.

According to Cronin, the NFLPA would consider filing a grievance and taking the matter to court were the NFL to toll Bridgewater's contract.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

"The Collective Bargaining Agreement contains a provision that plainly states the contract will toll if he remains on the Physically Unable to Perform through the sixth game of the 2017 regular season. With Bridgewater still recovering from a devastating knee injury suffered last August, a decision to leave him on the PUP list at the start of the regular season guarantees that he'll be on PUP for the first six games, because: (1) the window to exit PUP doesn't open until after Week Six; and (2) the Vikings don't have a bye in the first six weeks of the season."

DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said one major sticking point regards whether Bridgewater had been healthy enough to play for the Vikings before the end of his mandated six-week stay on the PUP list.

"One of the critical issues is whether he was medically cleared or whether he was medically able to play," Smith said, per The Athletic's Chad Graff.

According to Cronin, the NFLPA would consider filing a grievance and taking the matter to court were the NFL to toll Bridgewater's contract.

I'm aware of this as I already posted it in the thread. 

Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman tiptoed around that issue during a subsequent visit to PFT Live.

We know the rule very well,” Spielman said last May. “We’ve talked to the Management Council, we understand everything that’s involved with it, but again it’s something from a contractual standpoint that I’d rather not comment on. But there are specific rules there, and we’re quite aware of what the rules are.”

If the Vikings are “quite aware” of the rule, they’re the only ones; despite the plain language of the CBA, some believe that the contract for a player like Bridgewater would toll for a year only if he had missed the entire season. Because he didn’t miss the full season, but did miss six games, a squabble could be looming over whether he’s free to leave — or whether the Vikings can keep him for another year at a base salary of $1.354 million.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 1/24/2018 at 8:27 AM, GunnerBill said:

Both could be true and is the best situation for them to pick a QB. Allows Eli to ride off into the sunset with the Giants after another 1-2 seasons and the young buck is ready by that time. I for one, do not rule out teams like Steelers who maybe in the market, under the radar to picking a Rd 1 QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm aware of this as I already posted it in the thread. 

Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman tiptoed around that issue during a subsequent visit to PFT Live.

We know the rule very well,” Spielman said last May. “We’ve talked to the Management Council, we understand everything that’s involved with it, but again it’s something from a contractual standpoint that I’d rather not comment on. But there are specific rules there, and we’re quite aware of what the rules are.”

If the Vikings are “quite aware” of the rule, they’re the only ones; despite the plain language of the CBA, some believe that the contract for a player like Bridgewater would toll for a year only if he had missed the entire season. Because he didn’t miss the full season, but did miss six games, a squabble could be looming over whether he’s free to leave — or whether the Vikings can keep him for another year at a base salary of $1.354 million.

...they would be crazy not to keep him for that amount.......sign Keenum and Bradford is odd man out IMO..........

On 1/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, GunnerBill said:

How much off-season contact and interaction can the new QB whispering coach have with Webb before the draft?

Webb had a pretty high ceiling from what I remember on his draft profile, but needed work.

Maybe shurm thinks he can get Webb up to par on 2 years, that would play out the remainder of Eli's contact (through 2019) then have Webb take over in 2020 at age 25.

That's the only way the don't go QB imo

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Both could be true and is the best situation for them to pick a QB. Allows Eli to ride off into the sunset with the Giants after another 1-2 seasons and the young buck is ready by that time. I for one, do not rule out teams like Steelers who maybe in the market, under the radar to picking a Rd 1 QB. 

I think it all depends on what shurm thinks of webb.

If he thinks he is good enough to take over in 1-2 years, then I think they pass on a QB.

Steelers I agree with as a wild card.

Remember, they took Ben ahead of us, not many thought they would take a QB that year.

Edited by SouthNYfan

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why pay anything for a guy who was that badly hurt? Seriously. Would you pay anything for an exploding Pinto?  If he were a free agent, maybe. But I'm not giving up an asset for him.

If he’s a free agentand willing to sign for cheap then I’d bring him in to compete assuming the knee checks out clean. I would never give up a draft pick to get him though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bridgewater, 25, could be one of the more interesting players headed towards free agency -- if an independent arbitrator doesn't rule that Bridgewater's rookie contract should toll into 2018 because of time spent on the physically unable to perform list last year.

The Vikings viewed Bridgewater as their future at quarterback before the injury. Now it's uncertain whether he'll ever be given a chance to earn a No. 1 gig.

Bridgewater still sees himself as an NFL starter. The question is whether the Vikings or another team will agree.

"I'm just going to continue focusing on becoming a better football player, attacking the offseason with the mindset of getting stronger and doing everything that I can to show that when the time comes, I'm ready to play football," Bridgewater said. "The best thing about it is my dream gets to continue to come true -- that I get to play football next year. I'm going to be playing football next year."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz