The Teddy Bridgewater Thread

Rigotz

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The endless comparisons of QBs like Tyrod and Lamar Jackson and Teddy Bridgewater need to end. Being mobile and black is not the end all be all of their evaluations.

I only saw him play a couple of times, and I wasn't wow'd.  He had flashes, he left plays on the field. 

So educate me: his stats look very Taylor-like or worse.  225 and 201 ypg.  14 TD/12 INT and 14 TD/9 INT.  6.6 and 6.9 YPA.  39 and 44 sacks.  A good completion percentage in the mid-60s, but the high sacks and low YPA suggest that he may have held onto the ball too long and checked down, and the TD/INT ratio is poor.

When I did my drafted QB evaluation, he fell into the "miss" bin because of his TD/INT ratio 1.3, but of course it could trend upwards.  I didn't look at sacks or YPG, but if I had included a 220 ypg cutoff, he is one of the QB who would have been excluded along with Kaepernick and Alex Smith.

What is it about his play that sets him apart or elevates him beyond Tyrod to you?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not necessarily, but I'm not discounting the possibility just because of the injury he sustained.  I see him as an option even with the associated risk. You don't and that's fine.

That does happen quite frequently as everyone knows, but the Vikings exercised due care with Bridgewater by placing him on PUP to begin the season and waiting until November to activate him after assessing where he was with recovery and watching him practice for a number of weeks.  Throwing out some blanket statement doesn't fly upon a closer examination. 

Throwing out a blanket statement that they exercised due caution doesn't fly either.

They cleared him 12 months after the injury.

A typical ACL is 9-10 months to be cleared for sports.

Keep saying you know better than everybody.

Bottom line is you're down playing his injury because for whatever reason you've fallen in love with the guy.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Because I watched him play and I'm looking beyond the stats. 

So what are you seeing in his play that makes him such a good choice to be worth looking beyond a serious injury downgrade/reinjury potential, and why is what you see NOT reflected in his stats? 

Just like completion % in college QB, sometimes good stats mask serious eficiencies in a guy's game, but good play usually shows up in the stats somehow.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I only saw him play a couple of times, and I wasn't wow'd.  He had flashes, he left plays on the field. 

So educate me: his stats look very Taylor-like or worse.  225 and 201 ypg.  14 TD/12 INT and 14 TD/9 INT.  6.6 and 6.9 YPA.  39 and 44 sacks.  A good completion percentage in the mid-60s, but the high sacks and low YPA suggest that he may have held onto the ball too long and checked down, and the TD/INT ratio is poor.

When I did my drafted QB evaluation, he fell into the "miss" bin because of his TD/INT ratio 1.3, but of course it could trend upwards.  I didn't look at sacks or YPG, but if I had included a 220 ypg cutoff, he is one of the QB who would have been excluded along with Kaepernick and Alex Smith.

What is it about his play that sets him apart or elevates him beyond Tyrod to you?

I already explained what I saw in him earlier in the thread that makes him different from Tyrod.   He played pretty well for a young QB with a chance to improve with a better surrounding cast and more experience.  I would want the Bills to draft a QB in the 1st round even if he were signed.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Throwing out a blanket statement that they exercised due caution doesn't fly either.

They cleared him 12 months after the injury.

A typical ACL is 9-10 months to be cleared for sports.

Keep saying you know better than everybody.

Bottom line is you're down playing his injury because for whatever reason you've fallen in love with the guy.

Wrong! It was almost 18 months!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So you're happy about the Bills track record with signing and drafting injured players?

They are they experts and it's up to them not you or me. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wrong! It was almost 18 months!

He was injured on August 30th, 2016.

He was cleared to practice October 16th, 2017.

That is 13.5 months.

He played in the game on December 17, 2017.

That's 15.5 months before entering a game.

Learn math.

Edited by SouthNYfan
Added Dec game

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The endless comparisons of QBs like Tyrod and Lamar Jackson and Teddy Bridgewater need to end. Being mobile and black is not the end all be all of their evaluations.

Bridgewater isn't mobile.  Try to keep up before plunging this into a race debate.

We are comparing Bridgewater to TT because, well, people are talking about replacing TT with Bridgewater........

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

He was injured on August 30th, 2016.

He was cleared to practice October 16th, 2017.

That is 13.5 months.

Learn math.

I remembered May, so I stand corrected. At any rate he was activated on November 8th and he still hasn't taken any hits on the knee.  I'll trust their judgment over a poster on TBD who has no access to his medical information. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I remembered May, so I stand corrected. At any rate he was activated on November 8th and he still hasn't taken any hits on the knee.  I'll trust their judgment over a poster on TBD who has no access to his medical information. 

I trust my judgement based on my professional opinion in regards to knee injuries, especially of this magnitude.

What expertise do you have with regards to knee/sports injuries other than Google?

Edited by SouthNYfan

I already explained what I saw in him earlier in the thread that makes him different from Tyrod.   He played pretty well for a young QB with a chance to improve with a better surrounding cast and more experience.  I would want the Bills to draft a QB in the 1st round even if he were signed.

OK 26CornerBlitz.  Here is what you said earlier in the thread:

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's nothing at all like Tyrod.  Nothing. 

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Leak in my cheerios? What does that have to do with challenging your assertion that he's like Tyrod when their respective games are nothing alike. 

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bridgewater is a rhythm passer who can read defenses with the ability to get the ball out with timing and anticipation within the structure of an offense on short to intermeidiate throws. He's not a great deep ball thrower and isn't a great runner/scrambler.  He is in many ways is a polar opposite of Tyrod.  Thus my challenge to your assertion. 

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not sure what you looked at because they play the position differently. 

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is because Bridgewater plays within the structure and design of an offense with the ball coming out on time in 3, 5, and 7 step drops.  All things that Tyrod struggles with. 

You assert that he's a rhythm passer who can read D and gets the ball out with timing and anticipation.

Yet in his 2 years playing, he took tons of sacks - near bottom of the league tons of sacks; he did not throw many TDs - like near bottom of the league numbers of passing TDs; and he did not generate many passing yards - like near bottom of the league numbers of passing yards.

Now many good young passers do 1 or 2 of those things - like pass for a lot of yards but fail near the red zone.  or pass for a lot of yards but take lots of sacks too, 'cuz they hang onto the ball too long.  Or pass for a lot of yards but throw lots of picks 'cuz they get fooled.  Or pass for "meh" yards overall but throw lots of TDs cuz they throw deep and hit paydirt sometimes.

But if a young guy who's a good pocket passer, reads D, and gets the ball out on time to have league-bottoming stats in sacks, TDs, and passing yards suggests that he was not doing those things well.  What reveals this potential to you?

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I trust my judgement based on my professional opinion in regards to knee injuries, especially of this magnitude.

What expertise do you have with regards to knee/sports injuries other than Google?

That's fine. You can generalize based on your expertise but you still have no access to his records and cannot say anything specific to his case. I'll trust the MIN team doctors who are familiar with the specifics over you.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The Tyrod & Teddy comparison isn't about skin color or mobility (Teddy doesn't come close). It's specifically about passing production, where they have incredibly similar yard numbers and Tyrod is 1% higher in TD% and 1% lower in INT%. Nothing about Teddy's production prior to his injury said he could even match Tyrod's passing production, and now he's coming off a terrible injury but people think he will be an upgrade? The odds are very much in favor of that not being the case whatsoever.

I still don't think it's a fair comparison.  Tyrod sat for the first what, 5 years of his career?  Bridgewater was thrown to the fire right away and played through rookie struggles.  He was trending upwards when he blew out his knee.  I don't think you can compare their stats for that reason, and they're totally different kinds of QBs.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's fine. You can generalize based on your expertise but you still have no access to his records and cannot say anything specific to his case. I'll trust the MIN team doctors over you who are familiar with the specifics. 

You obviously still have not researched what injury he had.

Continue to say you trust Minnesota team doctors instead of actual knowledge of the mechanics of his injury.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK 26CornerBlitz.  Here is what you said earlier in the thread:

You assert that he's a rhythm passer who can read D and gets the ball out with timing and anticipation.

Yet in his 2 years playing, he took tons of sacks - near bottom of the league tons of sacks; he did not throw many TDs - like near bottom of the league numbers of passing TDs; and he did not generate many passing yards - like near bottom of the league numbers of passing yards.

Now many good young passers do 1 or 2 of those things - like pass for a lot of yards but fail near the red zone.  or pass for a lot of yards but take lots of sacks too, 'cuz they hang onto the ball too long.  Or pass for a lot of yards but throw lots of picks 'cuz they get fooled.  Or pass for "meh" yards overall but throw lots of TDs cuz they throw deep and hit paydirt sometimes.

But if a young guy who's a good pocket passer, reads D, and gets the ball out on time to have league-bottoming stats in sacks, TDs, and passing yards suggests that he was not doing those things well.  What reveals this potential to you?

Are you aware of the OL issues with the Vikings when he was playing that led to a number of the sacks he took? I am

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Continue to say you trust Minnesota team doctors instead of actual knowledge of the mechanics of his injury.

You make quite a few assertions that you cannot back up including my supposedly falling in love with him which is preposterous when I merely see him as one of the veteran options that the Bills might consider.  I am keenly aware of the seriousness of the injury and the fear that was expressed by some that his career might be over. 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I still don't think it's a fair comparison.  Tyrod sat for the first what, 5 years of his career?  Bridgewater was thrown to the fire right away and played through rookie struggles.  He was trending upwards when he blew out his knee.  I don't think you can compare their stats for that reason, and they're totally different kinds of QBs.

How was he trending upwards?  I mean, could he be this great reader of defenses and accurate passer...and dropped from his second year output?

Stats, in the end, are meaningful.  You can't ascribe all sorts of powers and gifted ability to a player, yet, over two seasons, not be able to point to where he produced the logical results expected from such talent.

Teddy is low wattage at QB. 

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

There is no practical way for any team doctor to really know if his knee is capable of withstanding full contact play.  His was a freak injury that HAD to imply he had significant ligamentous instability at base.  It was a noncontact injury.  His femur slid off his tibia and nearly severed his popliteal artery, no?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He was trending upwards?

In his 2nd year he went from 224.5 YPG to 201.9 YPG, 3.5% TD% to 3.1% TD%, YPA went down slightly, sack% went up slightly, and he had the same TD total in 16 games that he hit in 13 games the previous year.

Also, no matter how he was trending, he blew out his knee! Generally speaking, athletes don't ever fully recover from injuries like that, let alone improve after them.

Someone earlier brought up Dalton, Flacco, and Tannehill as better comparisons. 

Dalton threw for 3,400 yards and 20 TDs his rookie year, and then threw for 3,670 yards and 27 TDs his 2nd year.

Flacco threw for 2,971 yards and 14 TDs his rookie year (close), but then threw for 3,600 yards and 21 TDs in his 2nd year.

Tannehill threw for 3,294 yards and 12 TDs his rookie year, but then threw for 3,900 yards and 24 TDs in his 2nd year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

My wife who is an ortho PA specializing in hips and knees is surprised the Vikings brought him back. Said the Bills should stay away. There was no video of the injury but I suspect it looked similar to Zach Millers of the Bears. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying he's necessarily better than Tyrod but they're definitely not the same QB like some people in this thread have tried to say. There's a reason Bridgewater was a 1st rounder and Tyrod was a 6th rounder. Bridgewater is more of a pocket/rhythm passer, struggles with deep accuracy, and is mobile but not as mobile as Tyrod. He throws players open more than Tyrod. If his career fails it will be for completely different reasons. He's also had much less time to develop and progress so on ceiling alone I would take Bridgewater over Tyrod right now.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How was he trending upwards?  I mean, could he be this great reader of defenses and accurate passer...and dropped from his second year output?

Stats, in the end, are meaningful.  You can't ascribe all sorts of powers and gifted ability to a player, yet, over two seasons, not be able to point to where he produced the logical results expected from such talent.

Teddy is low wattage at QB. 

There is no practical way for any team doctor to really know if his knee is capable of withstanding full contact play.  His was a freak injury that HAD to imply he had significant ligamentous instability at base.  It was a noncontact injury.  His femur slid off his tibia and nearly severed his popliteal artery, no?

Aug. 30  Less than a half hour into practice, Bridgewater collapses on the field during a routine dropback. Players reported Bridgewater grabbing his left knee and screaming. Trainers immediately jump into action. An ambulance arrives at Winter Park and takes Bridgewater to the hospital.

Vikings officials announce that Bridgewater will definitely miss the 2016 season, and his future beyond that is in doubt. An MRI shows a complete ACL tear and other structural damage, although Bridgewater avoids nerve or arterial damage, a major positive that looked minor in the light at that time.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/11/08/teddy-bridgewater-recovery-timeline/

21 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I'm surprised to see fans clamoring for Alex Smith when there's a 25 year old QB out there who threw for 3,000 yards and made the pro bowl within his first two seasons.

Oh, and if his contract isn't tolled, he doesn't cost us the 2nd round or 3rd round pick that we would have to give up for Alex Smith.

Higher upside... we get to keep ALL of our picks ....why is nobody talking about Teddy Bridgewater?

Someone on these 6 pages must have mentioned this, but how is Teddy any better than Tyrod? Completion % is nearly the same. TT averages more TDs and fewer INTs each season and has a higher QB rating. I'm comparing TT's last 3 years to TB's 2 years. Oh yeah, there's that injury thing too.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone looking at this kid will no doubt have a ton of medical personnel evaluate him.  And based on that they'll make the call.  I suspect some will steer clear and some won't.  Medical professionals can and oftentimes do have different opinions. While I teach anatomy I work in reproductive medicine and we see patients seeking second opinions daily.  What is perplexing is that some here argue with folks that have actual relevant experience as PRs, orthopods, etc.

Hope it works out for the kid.  Personally I'd sign Cousins assuming he's not tagged and becdone with it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes he planted and twisted, noncontact.

The anatomical facts are that at least one collateral ligament (MCL and or LCL) must be torn, as well as at least one (usually both) cruciates (ACL and or PCL)

It is rare to only tear one of the cruciates, so it seems he got lucky.

The knee capsule is also ruptured in some form 100% of the time.

These are the indisputable anatomical facts of his injury.

-at least one cruciates (he tore his ACL)

-at least one collateral (they didn't specify)

-some form of joint capsule rupture (this is probably the worst part of it)

There is basically less than a 20% chance any athlete with this injury can return to full competition.

As far as anybody knew he had a healthy knee prior to the injury.

I think you are stating that I'm implying he wasn't healthy before the injury.

I'm saying that even if he was cleared by Minnesota MDS, he still hasn't had any NFL game contact, so assuming he is healthy enough to sign and bet a season on is reckless or uninformed at best.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/vikings-bridgewater-knee-surgery/

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has undergone surgery on his severely injured left knee, the first step toward what will undoubtedly be a long, arduous recovery.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer confirmed the operation took place Thursday, nine days after Bridgewater went down in practice while dropping back to pass during a routine non-contact drill.

Zimmer said he spoke to Bridgewater’s surgeon after the procedure and learned no major problems were encountered beyond the knee dislocation and complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The Vikings said after the injury that Bridgewater also suffered other significant damage.

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes he planted and twisted, noncontact.

The anatomical facts are that at least one collateral ligament (MCL and or LCL) must be torn, as well as at least one (usually both) cruciates (ACL and or PCL)

It is rare to only tear one of the cruciates, so it seems he got lucky.

The knee capsule is also ruptured in some form 100% of the time.

These are the indisputable anatomical facts of his injury.

-at least one cruciates (he tore his ACL)

-at least one collateral (they didn't specify)

-some form of joint capsule rupture (this is probably the worst part of it)

There is basically less than a 20% chance any athlete with this injury can return to full competition.

As far as anybody knew he had a healthy knee prior to the injury.

I think you are stating that I'm implying he wasn't healthy before the injury.

I'm saying that even if he was cleared by Minnesota MDS, he still hasn't had any NFL game contact, so assuming he is healthy enough to sign and bet a season on is reckless or uninformed at best.

Good post.

What line of field do you work in. Do you specialize in injuries, and in particular the knee?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Good post.

What line of field do you work in. Do you specialize in injuries, and in particular the knee?

Physical therapist, specialize in sports and traumatic orthopedic injuries.

Treated from high school up through professional level athletes in every sport.

(Including a former Globetrotter, though I can't give names for any legally)

Worked with many high end surgeons, David Altchek at HSS being probably the most well known.

My former classmate was in the rehab team for the USC Trojans for a couple of years.

I asked her about Bridgewater, she laughed and said anybody who thinks he isn't a massive risk is fooling themselves.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/vikings-bridgewater-knee-surgery/

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has undergone surgery on his severely injured left knee, the first step toward what will undoubtedly be a long, arduous recovery.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer confirmed the operation took place Thursday, nine days after Bridgewater went down in practice while dropping back to pass during a routine non-contact drill.

Zimmer said he spoke to Bridgewater’s surgeon after the procedure and learned no major problems were encountered beyond the knee dislocation and complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The Vikings said after the injury that Bridgewater also suffered other significant damage.

Sigh.

You're either very persistent or refuse to inform yourself.

The knee dislocation was the major problem.

He was saying there wasn't anything arterial or Neuro most likely.

His statement is akin to saying :

-there was no major damage other than the gunshot to the chest

-there was no major damage other than the roof collapsing on the house

-there was no major damage other than the engine exploding in the car

Give it up man.

• Like (+1) 2

Worked with many high end surgeons, David Altchek at HSS being probably the most well known.

My former classmate was in the rehab team for the USC Trojans for a couple of years.

I asked her about Bridgewater, she laughed and said anybody who thinks he isn't a massive risk is fooling themselves.

Awesome man, thanks for sharing

Edited by billsfan11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Sigh.

You're either very persistent or refuse to inform yourself.

The knee dislocation was the major problem.

He was saying there wasn't anything arterial or Neuro most likely.

His statement is akin to saying :

-there was no major damage other than the gunshot to the chest

-there was no major damage other than the roof collapsing on the house

-there was no major damage other than the engine exploding in the car

Give it up man.

:lol: Nice try it does not say most likely.   More sweeping generalizations from afar despite a quote from the doctor who performed the surgery.  

I'm sure you would have predicted that Jaylon Smith would not recover to play in the NFL again and he suffered nerve damage.  Keep typing.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: Nice try it does not say most likely.   More sweeping generalizations from afar despite a quote from the doctor who performed the surgery.  

I'm sure you would have predicted that Jaylon Smith would not recover to play in the NFL again and he suffered nerve damage.  Keep typing.

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that usually there is Neuro or arterial damage, so him saying nothing else major is most likely in reference to those things being okay.

Learn to read.

And yes, that's right, based on Smith's injury, he had a very small chance to ever play again.

Just like Teddy's injury, there is less than a 20% chance to return to sport, and even then, a high risk for that knee to collapse.

My professional experience combined with historical data for the injury Teddy sustained is why I have stated that he is a massive risk and  not worth betting on.

Your responses are dismissive of statistical historical evidence related to his injury and the informed professional opinion of myself and a couple others.

Go back to your Google degree and whatever rock you are hiding your head under to ignore facts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that usually there is Neuro or arterial damage, so him saying nothing else major is most likely in reference to those things being okay.

Learn to read.

And yes, that's right, based on Smith's injury, he had a very small chance to ever play again.

Just like Teddy's injury, there is less than a 20% chance to return to sport, and even then, a high risk for that knee to collapse.

My professional experience combined with historical data for the injury Teddy sustained is why I have stated that he is a massive risk and  not worth betting on.

Your responses are dismissive of statistical historical evidence related to his injury and the informed professional opinion of myself and a couple others.

Go back to your Google degree and whatever rock you are hiding your head under to ignore facts.

Who cares about what usually is the case. In his specific case that did not happen and the fact is that both have returned to play. Every case is different.  Marcus Lattimore was forced to retire from his devastating knee injury while these two are back.  Nice to know your opinion from afar. Thanks.

Who cares about what usually is the case. In his specific case that did not happen and the fact is that both have returned to play. Every case is different.  Marcus Lattimore was forced to retire from his devastating knee injury while these two are back.  Nice to know your opinion from afar. Thanks.

I don't know that I'd call 2 passes for 0 yards and an INT returning to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't know that I'd call 2 passes for 0 yards and an INT returning to play.

It is what it is to this point.  The point remains he returned from a serious knee injury to the 53 man roster.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Over 80% never return to sport.

That's a fact.

I've seen clinical presentation of this, as well as many other injuries in high level athletes, whom I've rehabilitated myself.

Historical data and my own personal experience are what backs my opinion.

Yes, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Some opinions are better informed and more likely than others 

In this case, yours has zero evidence behind it that Teddy can return to his PLOF and mountains of history to say he cannot.

Your only leg to stand on (pun intended) is shaky and unsupported.

Over 80% never return to sport.

That's a fact.

I've seen clinical presentation of this, as well as many other injuries in high level athletes, whom I've rehabilitated myself.

Historical data and my own personal experience are what backs my opinion.

Yes, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Some opinions are better informed and more likely than others 

In this case, yours has zero evidence behind it that Teddy can return to his PLOF and mountains of history to say he cannot.

Your only leg to stand on (pun intended) is shaky and unsupported.

Then send out your opinion to the 32 NFL teams to save them from themselves. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then send out your opinion to the 32 NFL teams to save them from themselves. 

I never said somebody wasn't going to take a huge risk on him.

They might.

This entire discussion is whether the bills should.

My entire argument with you is that you are shrugging off the injury and acting like he's gonna be 100% ready to rock minimal risk.

We have a coach and gm who like healthy, low risk players (see: Sammy trade)

My opinion is, based on his injury, we shouldn't go for him, as he is a massive injury risk, as well as a massive risk to not even return to the average at best form he displayed pre injury.

Yet you continue to act like he's good to go, no problems, and refuse to acknowledge not only the severity of the injury, but also the factual evidence of the history of these injuries in others.