The Teddy Bridgewater Thread

Rigotz

9 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I'm surprised to see fans clamoring for Alex Smith when there's a 25 year old QB out there who threw for 3,000 yards and made the pro bowl within his first two seasons.

Oh, and if his contract isn't tolled, he doesn't cost us the 2nd round or 3rd round pick that we would have to give up for Alex Smith.

Higher upside... we get to keep ALL of our picks ....why is nobody talking about Teddy Bridgewater?

Three words, Rigotz: femoral-tibial dislocation

" Dislocation of the knee occurs when the tibia and femur are out of place in relation to each other. Although rare, dislocation of the knee may be the most serious acute knee injury and presents one of the few true orthopaedic emergencies. Immediate reduction and neurovascular assessment are important due to the high incidence of concomitant vascular injury and potential limb loss."

Now Bridgewater apparently dodged two of the worst bullets from this injury, vascular injury and injury to the perineal nerve (causes foot-drop).  But it's about the most severe knee injury out there.  It typically takes out at least 3 of the knee ligaments (anterior cruciate or ACL, posterior cruciate  or PCL, lateral collateral or LCL, and medial collateral or MCL)

It's also rare, meaning there isn't a lot of meaningful data out there on how well elite athletes come back from it.  As someone on another thread said, "could be durable, could crumple like wet tissue paper, we just don't know"

If it were a sure bet that the Teddy Bridgewater y'all are talking about would be the same Teddy Bridgewater who threw for 3000 yds and made the probowl, and was not a significant re-injury risk, do you think maybe the Vikes pick up his 5th year option?  They're the ones who get the medical evaluations and the PT progress reports, front row seat as it were.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The rhythm method isn't working too well for Teddy.

He's a 3000 yard 14 TD guy.  We have that in TT, plus TT can score with his feet.

Because he's younger and less mobile.  So that leaves the above, as I posted.

That's a stretch...two entirely different QB styles.

Bridgewater  started his first 2 yrs right out of college at the position and was trending upward ( Coach Zimmer loves the kids work ethic). Your comparison to TT,  after being in the league 5-6 years w/ 4 yrs preparation prior to taking the starting helm is not a fair comparison ( especially stats wise) , imo. 

A better comparison would be Bridgewater to Dalton, Flacco or Tennyhill after their first 2 season. These are basically all the same type pocket passers thrown in the fire their first 2 yrs in the league.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

" Dislocation of the knee occurs when the tibia and femur are out of place in relation to each other. Although rare, dislocation of the knee may be the most serious acute knee injury and presents one of the few true orthopaedic emergencies. Immediate reduction and neurovascular assessment are important due to the high incidence of concomitant vascular injury and potential limb loss."

Now Bridgewater apparently dodged two of the worst bullets from this injury, vascular injury and injury to the perineal nerve (causes foot-drop).  But it's about the most severe knee injury out there.  It typically takes out at least 3 of the knee ligaments (anterior cruciate or ACL, posterior cruciate  or PCL, lateral collateral or LCL, and medial collateral or MCL)

It's also rare, meaning there isn't a lot of meaningful data out there on how well elite athletes come back from it.  As someone on another thread said, "could be durable, could crumple like wet tissue paper, we just don't know"

If it were a sure bet that the Teddy Bridgewater y'all are talking about would be the same Teddy Bridgewater who threw for 3000 yds and made the probowl, and was not a significant re-injury risk, do you think maybe the Vikes pick up his 5th year option?  They're the ones who get the medical evaluations and the PT progress reports, front row seat as it were.

I feel like you and I are the only ones actually looking at the specifics of his injury.

Everybody is just like "ehhh it was a knee. No big deal. He took Year off and is okay" while at the same time discounting Bradford.

I'm not big on either one because of their injury histories.

They are both a hard pass for me.

Having said that, I would still take Brokeford over Brokewater, even with the fact that he's had:

-two throwing shoulder AC joint sprains (missing 4 then 11 games)

-three minor ankle sprains to the same ankle, which he rushed back from them, just making them worse (missing 6, 1, and 3 games)

-two ACL full tears on the same knee, back to back years (9 and 16 games)

-diagnosed concussion (2 games)

-separated AC joint again (2 games)

-knee swelling and scope on the previously torn twice ACL knee (missed whole season, but that was due to keenum not knee, he would have played if need be)

Yes, I'd still trust his knee over Bridgewater.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I teach anatomy, and you're spot on here, with one exception noted below.  This was a horribly severe injury he had.  You'd have to have your team physicians really check this kid out and be as sure as they can be before signing him.

Now for the correction:  the concern is damage to the peroneal nerve.  Not the perineal nerve.  If there was damage to the perineal nerve something else might drop, and not really related to football...

• Haha (+1) 1

To me Bridgewater is a buy low candidate with some upside. He’s a game manager though. He is not the gunslinger that some are hoping for. He’s pretty accurate and has a chance to be an Alex Smith type. He isn’t the guy changing the franchise and he has some downside coming off of that injury. Bridgewater could be the stop gap at the right price. 

Bridgewater was decent when he played, albeit nothing spectacular.  Decent completion percentage.  Just an OK touchdown to interception ratio.  He takes too many sacks though, holding onto the ball far too long.  He's not someone I would want to invest a whole lot into for the future, particularly considering that horrific injury.  This team has done too much of the "stop gap".  Flutie, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Fitzpatrick, Orton, Taylor.  I'm sure there's a few I've missed in that list as well.  We can have all of the "why not...." threads that we want.  At the end of the day, the franchise needs to draft their guy at some point.  This seems like the perfect year to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

Can the Bills please stop bringing in QB's that are some other teams cast off's. I am so sick and tired of having QB's come in that .......  might be good, could be good, have to give them a chance, give him the benefit of the doubt, when he was healthy he was good, did you see him play those three games? UGGHHHH

Now you want Bridgewater? The guy is one hit away from never walking again and he was never elite in the first place!

Trying to catch lightening in a bottle rarely works. A coach thinking he can develop a QB after they've been in the league for a few years because he's arrogant enough to think he's that much better than every other coach in the league really means he's an idiot. If he's that good, he would be on every sports page headline all the time! Taylor is a perfect example of trying to turn an average QB into a top tier QB. From the time he came to Buffalo until now, he hasn't improved much. All the development he did for the most part, happened while he was in Baltimore. Stop trying to turn Average into Spectacular. Target who you think is going to be your best bet to be a top tier QB for your team and do whatever you need to do to get that QB so you can focus on all of the other needs the Bills have. If that QB doesn't work out, get a different one! It ain't Rocket Surgery! Unfortunately, the importance of having a top QB hasn't been a priority in Buffalo for so long that many fans on this board and elsewhere have never seen a really good QB in Buffalo other than on video. It's a shame and it has to stop.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I teach anatomy, and you're spot on here, with one exception noted below.  This was a horribly severe injury he had.  You'd have to have your team physicians really check this kid out and be as sure as they can be before signing him.

Now for the correction:  the concern is damage to the peroneal nerve.  Not the perineal nerve.  If there was damage to the perineal nerve something else might drop, and not really related to football...

I noticed the peroneal nerve /perineal nerve mixup and laughed myself silly.

I'm a physical therapist, specialize in sports /Ortho rehabilitation.

Like I've said earlier.

Even if his knee checked out okay from physicals, the damage sustained to the joint capsule would be irreparable, and a ticking time bomb.

One hard cut and his knee will most likely explode faster than magicians paper.

1 minute ago, RobH063 said:

Can the Bills please stop bringing in QB's that are some other teams cast off's. I am so sick and tired of having QB's come in that .......  might be good, could be good, have to give them a chance, give him the benefit of the doubt, when he was healthy he was good, did you see him play those three games? UGGHHHH

Now you want Bridgewater? The guy is one hit away from never walking again and he was never elite in the first place!

Trying to catch lightening in a bottle rarely works. A coach thinking he can develop a QB after they've been in the league for a few years because he's arrogant enough to think he's that much better than every other coach in the league really means he's an idiot. If he's that good, he would be on every sports page headline all the time! Taylor is a perfect example of trying to turn an average QB into a top tier QB. From the time he came to Buffalo until now, he hasn't improved much. All the development he did for the most part, happened while he was in Baltimore. Stop trying to turn Average into Spectacular. Target who you think is going to be your best bet to be a top tier QB for your team and do whatever you need to do to get that QB so you can focus on all of the other needs the Bills have. If that QB doesn't work out, get a different one! It ain't Rocket Surgery! Unfortunately, the importance of having a top QB hasn't been a priority in Buffalo for so long that many fans on this board and elsewhere have never seen a really good QB in Buffalo other than on video. It's a shame and it has to stop.

Not sure what your gripe is.  Someone has to line up behind center to run the offense in 2018 with the assumption that Taylor is elsewhere.  A veteran obtained via UFA or trade makes sense unless a drafted rookie is ready to take the reins to begin the season.  Bridgewater is among the viable options that the Bills could be considering. 

50 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Ha, ha!  that was an autocorrect, and I figured it knew better than I did (SMH)

Maybe they're different now and I don't want to diss a guy, but I can't say our team physicians have impressed in the past with their judgement on who can play after previous known injury.

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I teach anatomy (....) Now for the correction:  the concern is damage to the peroneal nerve.  Not the perineal nerve.

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I noticed the peroneal nerve /perineal nerve mixup and laughed myself silly.

I'm a physical therapist, specialize in sports /Ortho rehabilitation.

I'm neither a physician a PT nor an anatomist and my 10+ years at a major medical school were spent on other subjects....but off the topic of football, just to enhance your morning amusement check this out.  Look at the spelling.

https://www.orthopaedicsone.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=78905754

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

That's a stretch...two entirely different QB styles.

Bridgewater  started his first 2 yrs right out of college at the position and was trending upward ( Coach Zimmer loves the kids work ethic). Your comparison to TT,  after being in the league 5-6 years w/ 4 yrs preparation prior to taking the starting helm is not a fair comparison ( especially stats wise) , imo. 

A better comparison would be Bridgewater to Dalton, Flacco or Tennyhill after their first 2 season. These are basically all the same type pocket passers thrown in the fire their first 2 yrs in the league.

No the comparison to TT is completely appropriate.  It makes no sense to compare him to other QBs---except the one who he is replacing.  He completes 2% more of his passes than TT.  IN 2 seasons he hasn't cracked the 15 TD per year "ceiling" (that's the basement ceiling).  His YPG is mediocre, he doesn't throw TDs, he has led 2 bad offenses. 

How does he show up in Buffalo and produce better results?  Maybe he gets a massive output boost to 3500 yds and 20 TDs?? Smith is a million times more mobile and is a threat as a runner.   Teddy is a "pocket passer" who "can read a defense", yet he doesn't throw for many yards or lead his team on many scoring drives.

Again, I don't get how this is an upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not sure what your gripe is.  Someone has to line up behind center to run the offense in 2018 with the assumption that Taylor is elsewhere.  A veteran obtained via UFA or trade makes sense unless a drafted rookie is ready to take the reins to begin the season.  Bridgewater is among the viable options that the Bills could be considering. 

My gripe is I'm tired of seeing quarterbacks who are at best, 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks being the Bills starting quarterback. When was the last time the Bills had a legitimate top 15 quarterback under center? When was the last time they traded for one? When was the last time they drafted one? It's been forever! So who are you putting under center when Bridgewater can't be the quarterback because something happens. Either he has the mental problem that happens to so many players after a devastating injury, or he goes down because his knee gets re-injured? I don't want that guy. Too many red flags and too risky.

Just now, RobH063 said:

My gripe is I'm tired of seeing quarterbacks who are at best, 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks being the Bills starting quarterback. When was the last time the Bills had a legitimate top 15 quarterback under center? When was the last time they traded for one? When was the last time they drafted one? It's been forever! So who are you putting under center when Bridgewater can't be the quarterback because something happens. Either he has the mental problem that happens to so many players after a devastating injury, or he goes down because his knee gets re-injured? I don't want that guy. Too many red flags and too risky.

That's fine, but you're making quite a few assumptions w/o the benefit of any firsthand knowledge.  We'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's fine, but you're making quite a few assumptions w/o the benefit of any firsthand knowledge.  We'll see what happens.

My first hand knowledge of that specific injury says he isn't worth the risk.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha, ha!  that was an autocorrect, and I figured it knew better than I did (SMH)

Maybe they're different now and I don't want to diss a guy, but I can't say our team physicians have impressed in the past with their judgement on who can play after previous known injury.

I'm neither a physician a PT nor an anatomist and my 10+ years at a major medical school were spent on other subjects....but off the topic of football, just to enhance your morning amusement check this out.  Look at the spelling.

https://www.orthopaedicsone.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=78905754

LOLOL that's awesome.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes we will 26 but to be fair, so is every other person in this thread. Some assume he would be a good option and others don't based on what we think we know about the guys health and prior play. It doesn't make your opinion right nor does it make mine right. It makes them different.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

(...) They are both a hard pass for me.

Having said that, I would still take Brokeford over Brokewater, even with the fact that he's had:

-two throwing shoulder AC joint sprains (missing 4 then 11 games)

-three minor ankle sprains to the same ankle, which he rushed back from them, just making them worse (missing 6, 1, and 3 games)

-two ACL full tears on the same knee, back to back years (9 and 16 games)

-diagnosed concussion (2 games)

-separated AC joint again (2 games)

-knee swelling and scope on the previously torn twice ACL knee (missed whole season, but that was due to keenum not knee, he would have played if need be)

Yes, I'd still trust his knee over Bridgewater.

Ugh.  Spelling out the history on Bradford like that makes me want to stay far, far away.

I live in St Louis and remember the high hopes that were pinned on Bradford only to shred like his knee ligaments.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RobH063 said:

Yes we will 26 but to be fair, so is every other person in this thread. Some assume he would be a good option and others don't based on what we think we know about the guys health and prior play. It doesn't make your opinion right nor does it make mine right. It makes them different.

A thorough medical examination would be in order before signing him to a contract.  No doubt about that. Again, we'll see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You examined him or are privy to his medical records?

No.

The specific injury he sustained.

I have seen it twice clinically.

It's a mess.

Do a little research on the injury he sustained.

He's a massive risk, even short term.

You sign him as a starter to bridge to the young guy you draft, then his knee explodes three games in, and you're throwing your rookie to the wolves and there goes the plan.

No thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

No.

The specific injury he sustained.

I have seen it twice clinically.

It's a mess.

Do a little research on the injury he sustained.

He's a massive risk, even short term.

You sign him as a starter to bridge to the young guy you draft, then his knee explodes three games in, and you're throwing your rookie to the wolves and there goes the plan.

No thanks.

I have and if he was that big of a risk there's no way the Vikings would have activated him from PUP this year with him being one play away from game action as the backup QB to Keenum.   I get that you're going on general information based on injury type, but every case is different.  We'll see what the future holds for him.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have and if he was that big of a risk there's no way the Vikings would have activated him from PUP this year with him being one play away from game action as the backup QB to Keenum.   I get that you're going on general information based on injury type, but every case is different.  We'll see what the future holds for him.

I dunno.

The Redskins let rgiii play with no LCL and limping.

Grant Hill was supposedly in litigation with the Pistons former doctors over clearing him to play after his career altering ankle injury.

There are massive lawsuits and such regarding concussions and having guys being cleared when they shouldn't.

I know every injury is different.

His injury, regardless of that, was severe, period, there is no such thing as a "minor dislocation" with a knee.

There is severe, more severe, and amputation. 

That's pretty much it.

I think it's not a risk worth taking due to the mechanics of that injury.

If you think otherwise you either:

A) didn't do much research on that

Or

B) are cool with that high risk

Based on how you're down playing it, and saying "let the docs see" etc I'm going to say it's probably A.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh.  Spelling out the history on Bradford like that makes me want to stay far, far away.

I live in St Louis and remember the high hopes that were pinned on Bradford only to shred like his knee ligaments.

I know!

That's my point.

Bradford's multiple knee issues is still less traumatic than Bridgewater.

I don't want either.

If forced to choose, I'd still takes Brad based on my professional knowledge.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

I dunno.

The Redskins let rgiii play with no LCL and limping.

Grant Hill was supposedly in litigation with the Pistons former doctors over clearing him to play after his career altering ankle injury.

There are massive lawsuits and such regarding concussions and having guys being cleared when they shouldn't.

I know every injury is different.

His injury, regardless of that, was severe, period, there is no such thing as a "minor dislocation" with a knee.

There is severe, more severe, and amputation. 

That's pretty much it.

I think it's not a risk worth taking due to the mechanics of that injury.

If you think otherwise you either:

A) didn't do much research on that

Or

B) are cool with that high risk

Based on how you're down playing it, and saying "let the docs see" etc I'm going to say it's probably A.

What Washington did in-season with RGIII vs. what happened with Bridgewater after more than one year away are two completely different scenarios.  I have no idea why you'd even bring it up as it isn't comparable. 

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

CornerBlitz,

I think it might be worth noting that in the game that really really counted - the playoff game - Bradford was the backup and Bridgewater a "healthy" scratch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What Washington did in-season with RGIII vs. what happened with Bridgewater after more than one year away are two completely different scenarios.  I have no idea why you'd even bring it up as it isn't comparable. 

Actually it is.

Team doctors cleared a guy to play who they shouldn't have.

This happens all the time.

Your assertion that "because Minnesota cleared him he's okay" is contradictory to track records of team doctors, rgiii was a perfect example.

Feel free to ignore the rest of the post.

I think the point trying to be made is that in general, team physicians and trainers will make decisions regarding whether or not someone can play that benefit the team, not the player, not to claim the situations are analogous.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And how do you feel about the past track record of the Bills "thorough medical examinations" pre signing?

If they're interested and clear him, then so be it.  Every NFL team with interest will want to see firsthand where he is. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

CornerBlitz,

I think it might be worth noting that in the game that really really counted - the playoff game - Bradford was the backup and Bridgewater a "healthy" scratch.

I am aware of that.  Bridgewater hasn't played any meaningful football since 2015 while Bradford played this season.  The move made perfect since to me. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

CornerBlitz,

He wants Bridgewater.

That's all that he cares about.

He's choosing to downplay facts regarding the injury.

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He wants Bridgewater.

That's all that he cares about.

He's choosing to downplay facts regarding the injury.

Not necessarily, but I'm not discounting the possibility just because of the injury he sustained.  I see him as an option even with the associated risk. You don't and that's fine.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point trying to be made is that in general, team physicians and trainers will make decisions regarding whether or not someone can play that benefit the team, not the player, not to claim the situations are analogous.

That does happen quite frequently as everyone knows, but the Vikings exercised due care with Bridgewater by placing him on PUP to begin the season and waiting until November to activate him after assessing where he was with recovery and watching him practice for a number of weeks.  Throwing out some blanket statement doesn't fly upon a closer examination. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 pages on Bridgewater? Off season is horrible...

He's not good. He was Tyrod before his injury, without the rushing stats (already covered). How our memories fades w/ time. Bradford is a solid pass too. His knee is toast and it'll only be a matter of time (if he plays), before he's injured again. It's obviously all speculation. Pickings are slim and none of the options appear to be that great, unless they make a deal for a QB already on someone's roster (non-FA). Let's hope someone doesn't start up a lets give EJ another try thread. I'm sure someone has some stats to prove he's a viable option at starter.  

Not necessarily, but I'm not discounting the possibility just because of the injury he sustained.  I see him as an option even with the associated risk. You don't and that's fine.

I understand that you see him as an option "even with the associated risk", the question is "why?"

If you look at Bridgewater's stats pre injury, what is it that makes you feel he is worth recruiting with a roster spot and a signing bonus, and assuming the very significant risk that he will not achieve that pre-injury level and could go out at any time?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand that you see him as an option "even with the associated risk", the question is "why?"

If you look at Bridgewater's stats pre injury, what is it that makes you feel he is worth recruiting with a roster spot and a signing bonus, and assuming the very significant risk that he will not achieve that pre-injury level and could go out at any time?

Because I watched him play and I'm looking beyond the stats. 

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The endless comparisons of QBs like Tyrod and Lamar Jackson and Teddy Bridgewater need to end. Being mobile and black is not the end all be all of their evaluations.

The Tyrod & Teddy comparison isn't about skin color or mobility (Teddy doesn't come close). It's specifically about passing production, where they have incredibly similar yard numbers and Tyrod is 1% higher in TD% and 1% lower in INT%. Nothing about Teddy's production prior to his injury said he could even match Tyrod's passing production, and now he's coming off a terrible injury but people think he will be an upgrade? The odds are very much in favor of that not being the case whatsoever.