Bills Qb away?

Mat68

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

A QB and some offensive weapons.

With any type of semi-efficient offense, the defense is good enough. Still need pieces, but offense is the problem worth addressing right now. 

33 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

No.  McDermott and Frazier had a brilliant game plan for attacking the Jags O, and our team's D over performed vs Jax.

What makes me hopeful (see what I did? *g*) is that they were able to craft that plan.  But they need DLmen and ILB, and we need at least 1 OLman, 2 WR and a backup RB, plus other depth.

27 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing getting their butts kicked this weekend. 

FIFY

You're probably right about the two games, but surely you see we need more than that to take it to the next level where we can beat Chargers, N'Orleans, Pitt and Philly, compete with NE etc

30 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Glass half empty?

No, but you have to know the Bills overachieved with that lineup. When the OP asks how far away we are, the question becomes "how far from what?" Another wild card? Not that far. Super Bowl contender? Years away.

31 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing this weekend. 

That's where intangibles come in.

Buffalo has a fair amount of cap space and loads of draft picks.  The team is not without faults but a Qb with potential and at minimum average play should allow Buffalo to play in this weekend next year and possibly beyond.  For a change I am watching games and watching coaches and teams make mistakes the Bills would not.

I was happy with the team breaking the playoff drought, but they very definitely over-achieved.  

I love the culture that the coaching staff and front office are building, but living off turnovers is very unpredictable and unsustainable.

I'm afraid that the team has to address quite a lot in order to build a consistent contender.  If they can re-sign EJ Gaines, I think that the defensive secondary can be a building block to a very good defense.  Still, I think the team needs 2 LBs, at least 1 DT and a DE that can provide some pass rush.  

On offense, they are going to need some help at OG, a speed WR and, of course, the ever-elusive QB.  

Ideally, I hope that they can get a decent QB prospect without trading up.  If they can, then with their other 1 and 2 #2 picks, I'd like to think that they could find a good DT and LB.  I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that a very good pass rushing DE will be available to them in the draft.

I would think that maybe they can get some role players for the D (maybe another LB and a veteran DT) in FA.  

Still, even if all of those things break right, they are still not guaranteed to even make the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

20th against the pass 29th against the run.

What is that good enough for, and what does that have to do with Tenn losing to the pats (by the same 21 points the Bills just lost to the by as well )?

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

You can't take the Jags game as a measuring stick and then project into the future of where the Bills defense actually is.  The game plan vs the Jags is not how you want to play defense but we had too or we actually would have gotten ran all over.  It worked because Bortles was off the money most of the day and it was the gamble we took.  But against a halfway accurate passer, there is no way we could have played defense that way.  Playing defense that way opens up a lot of other things and Bortles exposed the problems with that by just running.  That's one of the weaknesses, but a halfway accurate passer would have carved the defense up on the Play Action passes.  So when thinking about next year's opponents you cannot take that game and say the defense is good enough.  There's no way we are playing Brady like that twice, Rogers, Mariota, Rivers, Stafford, Watson and going to replicate that success.  The Jags game was about game plan vs that specific opponent only.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing this weekend. 

Yes, I agree with Dalton, Smith, Bridgewater, (fill in with 20 other names), we would've played one more game, and lost to Brady (unless the fill in name was Brees, Ben, Ryan, Rivers, Cousins, Newton, Wilson, etc).

39 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Yes, I agree with Dalton, Smith, Bridgewater, (fill in with 20 other names), we would've played one more game, and lost to Brady (unless the fill in name was Brees, Ben, Ryan, Rivers, Cousins, Newton, Wilson, etc).

Yep. I would have been ok with that result, too. 

Your second point is why I am all-in on trading whatever it takes to swing for a guy like that. 

16th scoring defense.  A more efficent offense would improve the defense aswell.  Bigger picture for me is that the team actually looks equipped to find and or develop a qb.  This is not cleveland or a complete rebuild.  This team reminds be a little bit of the steelers before Roethlisberger.

A lot more than a QB away. The roster definitely 'over-performed'. We need plenty of upgrades, and plenty of guys will need to be replaced, who will not return, for a variety of reasons.

If Kyle Williams retires, we'll need 2 DTs. We already probably need 2 LBers, and a pass rusher.  We'll also need at least one WR, a QB, O-Line. Probably a CB or maybe two.

Agree with those who have us more than a QB away.  Shady demonstrated with the injury he almost miraculously recovered from how thin we are at RB.  The luck we had this year with a 30+ year old surviving virtually the whole season we can't count on this luck.  We not only need the best shot we can have at a replacement at RB but also a late choice of FA just in case.  Add this to the starter needs Promo listed above and I'm a lot more interested in finding an affordable bridge QB who can start and play immediately than spending draft picks we need to play than trading up for a potential franchise QB who almost certainly will not produce for a year.

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Bills D is going to go through a major overhaul this offseason so no way to know what they will be. McDermott seems to have D figured out so I think they can still be good, but:

P Brown, K Williams, Shaq Lawson, A Washington, EJ Gaines, J Hughes, could all be gone. Lorax may change to DE. They will need at least two new starting LB's and maybe all of the front 4 will be different.

The O is a mess. This team is a rebuild now on both sides of the ball and some coaching. Getting to playoffs next year will mean they hit on all the new moves to come and would be an amazing feat. 

This buildup this offseason I am very much looking forward to. It should be fun. I can't wait.

Some us addition by subtraction.  I expect gaines back.  Probably not brown.  Last year the defense was old and slow.  The team had a horrible cap situation and not many picks.  There is a good amount of cap space and expect faster linebakers and a better qb.  That happens buffalo is even better.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. We are a QB, two WR, backup RB, backup tackle, two pass rushers and two linebackers away.

That would be ideal, but I think with a decent QB, another offensive weapon, a speedy linebacker, and a good pass rusher we're as good as anyone.

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Absolutely, you can mask many positions in the NFL but QB isn't one of them, well I guess running the ball almost all the time is masking it but you know what I mean.

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I do not recall an NFL season, ever, where I was this unimpressed by virtually everyone in the playoffs.

It seems wide open right now.  I agree, a decent QB plus what the Bills have right now could very possibly have beaten any AFC playoff team, in any stadium, barring New England.

I.E., give us a decent QB and get us in the playoffs, and then work the brackets so we don't have to play NE until the AFC Championship game...getting to that game has never looked easier than right now.

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo has a fair amount of cap space and loads of draft picks.  The team is not without faults but a Qb with potential and at minimum average play should allow Buffalo to play in this weekend next year and possibly beyond.  For a change I am watching games and watching coaches and teams make mistakes the Bills would not.

Agreed; the Falcons/Eagles game was a case of both teams seemingly perfectly happy to LOSE...sloppy play, penalties, mistakes...neither put in a "playoff performance."

I usually expect to watch playoff football being played a level or 2 beyond what the Bills are capable of; I don't see that this year so much.  I think the Patriots remain a step beyond, but everyone else seems beatable and they just don't scare me.

If we can get a QB, a QB of the defense like Roquan Smith or Tegray Scales, an OLB like Bradham, and keep Gaines. Then use our other picks to find a pass rusher, a couple of DT's to clog the middle, better RB depth, an OL starter or two, and we are in business. This scouting department better be on top of their game.