The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and cloudy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Watching all 22 game tape shows how often our WR's were open and TT just couldn't deliver, or some of our TE's and WR's couldn't hold onto the ball.

Right now its all about the QB position and a upgrade to the O skill positions and much less about the OC job

• Like (+1) 10

Those will not be factors. Almost any team looking for a coach/co-ordinator has similar issues. And some of those could be advantages to a new OC, not being tied to a certain QB could be viewed as an advantage. Shady may be getting older, but he doesn't appear to be really slowing down. 

The only reason the Bills don't change OC this off-season would be if the coaching staff determine that the issue with the offence was QB and not play calling, or they don't want to change schemes and would rather continue to try and make this offence work

Interesting.  To take the other side of the argument, I think an OC would like to come here and be involved from the get go in choosing a QB to groom his offense around, be it a guy in free agency, from the draft, or both.   As far as upping ones profile, you'd be coming to a playoff team that arguably is just missing a consistent offense to put them over the top and make them a true SB contender.  If you come in and do that you become a prime HC candidate.

I would also argue that a "known" entity is not required.  I personally would rather see a younger guy that is eager to get his shot. Kind of like when our HC moved up from his DC spot./

• Like (+1) 1

They also talked about how easy it is to send him packing.

A new OC could come in and literally pick his QB at will between a rookie or vet.

As of now I'm good with the first 5 picks being skill positions on offense. And go after Lotoluiiluollleee from Carolina along with a few other vets on defense. We need speed. Going back to Atlanta - you just can see we sucked at LB then. Alexadner is overrsted. Humber was meh. Milano is a backup. 

And we ride with Taylor and a rookie in 18. 

• Like (+1) 1

There isn't a single OC out there that doesn't believe his own "magic" can work wherever he wants it to.

The WGR points are repudiated by fact in some ways.  Dennison came on board with the same eh QB issues, same ehh WR issues, same talent gaps, same older players and a complete unknown - at the time-  as a head coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

I suppose these are fair points but there are only 32 offensive coordinator jobs available in like, the world. They would most definitely have interest from a number of candidates if they decided to move on from Dennison. Some OC's would see these "barriers" as a challenge and want to come in and be the guy who turns the offense around which could put his name on the radar for a head coaching job down the line. 

I also can't imagine that McDermott is truly satisfied with the job Dennison did this year. Surely, they had some limitations on offense but they could have done a lot better had Dennison designed a scheme based around what the players excel at as opposed to trying to fit players in a scheme that doesn't maximize their talent. Plus, Dennison was what, the third OC McDermott offered the job to? And now his first choice Mike McCoy is available. That was the OC I wanted but he went to Denver and as we saw, things did not go well there so, how good is he? Was his success more a product of having Peyton Manning to work with for a couple seasons? I wonder what the offensive stats were when he was HC of the Chargers where he had Rivers. Because if he wasn't very successful there with a franchise QB then I don't know how well he would do with a rookie or a veteran bridge guy. 

I dunno... you'd think it'd be a little easier to find an OC that can scheme around his players as opposed to having to shuffle the offensive roster so it fits what the current OC wants to do. Simpler to replace one coach rather than a bunch of players.

Edited by blacklabel

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

If they replace Dennison after one year with Taylor then he was never a permanent fixture with this coaching staff.

I don't think that's the case, I expect him to stay.

I also expect him to stay.

The QB position has to be addressed, if anyone thinks the longest playoff drought was bad well the QBs since Kelly have been even worse. This team has been in a QB purgatory since Kelly. Address the QB position with urgency and if our OC still fails after this coming season then do a change up IMO.

Better options at OC to be hired if McD shows he gives his staff more then one season with the right tools to get it done, our OC had everything against him with players and esspecialy QB.

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I unfortunately think Dennison is staying.

Even though I agree with you in saying it will be difficult to find a quality OC, I would still go after someone new.

Im done with Dennison. I don’t think the guy has it at all

Yeah, he's awful at spotting and throwing at the open receivers.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

They also talked about how easy it is to send him packing.

A new OC could come in and literally pick his QB at will between a rookie or vet.

As of now I'm good with the first 5 picks being skill positions on offense. And go after Lotoluiiluollleee from Carolina along with a few other vets on defense. We need speed. Going back to Atlanta - you just can see we sucked at LB then. Alexadner is overrsted. Humber was meh. Milano is a backup. 

And we ride with Taylor and a rookie in 18.

The OC is getting pounded on by fans that want to point to him as the main problem over Tyrod. Fans that want Tyrod to stay another season or two are delusional in thinking OC#4 will help Tyrod be a better QB. It is not Tyrod that is the problem it is the OC. SMH

Zero reason to keep Tyrod and pay him all that money, he is not good enough period. He would be a horrible mentor and for a new OC to come in to scrap there scheme for just Tyrod is a disaster waiting to happen all over again. Need all QBs  on the same page not a special short bus scheme for Tyrod while other play a different one. IMO

Edited by xRUSHx

It's difficult to properly assess this OC because he had Taylor at QB. Each week he was bringing a knife to a gun fight and some weeks we pulled it off.

I have no opinion of Dennison at the moment and would like to see how the offense ticks with a QB that hits receivers in stride, throws an accurate deep ball, and challenges the defense with pre-snap reads.

• Like (+1) 3