The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

On 1/9/2018 at 9:25 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and cloudy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

Well WGR was wrong.  I am shocked....psyche 

On 1/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, BillsVet said:

I can see interviewees being ecstatic that their predecessor got 1 year with TT to get results. That'd go a long way toward attracting the best and brightest.

I don't care what TPegs pays either. No career minded HC is going to sign up for not knowing who their QB is going to be. 

We are not looking for a “career minded HC”.  We are looking for a bright, innovative, OC that wants to jump on to a team on the rise and is not afraid of a challenge.  

On 1/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I disagree .  They can get a solid o coach.   The team looks a lot more stable this year then last year..   I is hard to get someone to sign on if you think you will be one and done.   I think everyone know McDermott is on solid footing here for a while 

....and I have to agree.....franchise stability is probably the best it has been since Polian era.......and I think Pegula views Beane/McD as long term........so why wouldn't a prospective OC want to come here and be involved in the draft process as well as developing the 1st round pick (HINT) as well as Peterman?..........wouldn't his success as an OC be a potential stepping stone down the road for perhaps a HC job?.......a/k/a resume' builder?...just a thought........

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

We are not looking for a “career minded HC”.  We are looking for a bright, innovative, OC that wants to jump on to a team on the rise and is not afraid of a challenge.  

There aren't many people completely satisfied with being an OC and never having a shot at becoming a HC.  Or, someone who's been a HC that has no desire to being one again.

Right now, Buffalo's OC job isn't that attractive. They have no solid answer at QB, the OL isn't great, the starting RB is approaching 30, and the receiver group aside from Benjamin is weak.

I know that's not the answer some fans want to hear, but it's reality. I've said it before, but you can sell a fan base with draft picks, but it doesn't attract career-minded coaches.  

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

There aren't many people completely satisfied with being an OC and never having a shot at becoming a HC.  Or, someone who's been a HC that has no desire to being one again.

Right now, Buffalo's OC job isn't that attractive. They have no solid answer at QB, the OL isn't great, the starting RB is approaching 30, and the receiver group aside from Benjamin is weak.

I know that's not the answer some fans want to hear, but it's reality. I've said it before, but you can sell a fan base with draft picks, but it doesn't attract career-minded coaches.  

Wrong again.  

Our new OC is from the Belicheck tree and was recently hired by Nick Saban at Alabama.   World Champs BTW.  

Bright young mind, innovative and willing to be an OC for the up and coming Buffalo Bills. 

Of course he probably has dreams of being a HC someday, but that did not stop him from taking a chance with Buffalo , a team with an unsettled QB situation. 

Buffalo is rising around the NFL.