The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Do you think there is any real possibility Tyrod stays and Dennison goes?   They can't possibly coexist on the same team again.  Can they?

Even if keeping Tyrod and ditching Dennison is a viable option, I don't see any way that happens with how poorly Tyrod played towards the end of this season.

It'll be hard to play for Taylor next year considering how many times the OL let him get destroyed. He has to be with child after those brutal rapes.

I could see McDermott thinking he is powerful to keep them together but reports I received and those who heard similar and verified the benching was all Dennison.  That being the case I hold Dennison to the fire to explain that right now and if not I pull the plug.  Then I drop a sack of money at Arians to be a QB consultant, find an OC he likes and we like and go forth with the plan of Taylor starting 2018 and hoping a good QB can land at us. But, I'm comfortable spending the first 4 picks on talent vs a QB

And for what it is worth when I spoke to someone who reports on this team early in the season they said the plan was Taylor all year unless we are losing horribly and then try peterman out. But, if Taylor still had us contending or we succeeded he expected Taylor to start 2018. And Peterman is a career long term backup for us they believed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

When did this happen?

John Murphy show - yesterday - sorry I don't remember the hour.

Chris Brown was being unusually blunt in saying they have to get better at QB.

He also seemed to be offering TT as an excuse for Dennison, sooo...

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Goes to show you how little WGR knows about anything.

You including John Murphy, Donald Jones, and Chris Brown in that?  Because they sounded pretty similar.

Edited by BobChalmers

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

And for what it is worth when I spoke to someone who reports on this team early in the season they said the plan was Taylor all year unless we are losing horribly and then try peterman out. But, if Taylor still had us contending or we succeeded he expected Taylor to start 2018. And Peterman is a career long term backup for us they believed. 

So what happened?

4 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Fine, you want to get better at QB, go out and get us a better QB! 

Only the bust rate for rookies is 50% even at the top of the 1st, so don't draft a rookie, bring him into a QB room with no capable vet, and say you've done it.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"And for what it is worth when I spoke to someone who reports on this team early in the season they said the plan was Taylor all year unless we are losing horribly and then try peterman out. But, if Taylor still had us contending or we succeeded he expected Taylor to start 2018. And Peterman is a career long term backup for us they believed."

So what happened?

Exactly that??

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fine, you want to get better at QB, go out and get us a better QB! 

Only the bust rate for rookies is 50% even at the top of the 1st, so don't draft a rookie, bring him into a QB room with no capable vet, and say you've done it.

I'm not doing anything - all I did was infer what OBD was going to do from what their own PR employees were putting out.

I wouldn't mind them dropping a bank to get Cousins, personally.

Edited by BobChalmers

18 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Actually the "pretty good WR corps" was injured half the 2016 season.

That's not my point, my point is that the players were pretty good.  Although AFAIK Watkins is the only one who missed 8 games.  Clay was active for 15, Goodwin for 15, and Woods 13.  (after that I acknowledge it got thin)

I would actually be surprised if Taylor doesn't get cut (assuming he can't be traded).  He's the highest paid player on the team and the only one where we actually save money by cutting him lose.  It would not be the dumbest move ever to keep him as a contingency plan and draft a rookie high, but I don't see the Bills going that route.

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I'm not doing anything - all I did was infer what OBD was going to do from what their own PR employees were putting out.

I wouldn't mind them dropping a bank to get Cousins, personally.

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally, I meant "the Bills" as "you".  Memo to Bills: don't tell me you need to get better at QB, show me "The Process" has a plan and go get better!

I agree on Cousins.

17 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

You including John Murphy, Donald Jones, and Chris Brown in that?  Because they sounded pretty similar.

I listened and I think he wastn just attacking Taylor. Just being obvious

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

It’s been said all year that tyrod didn’t fit Dennisons system. Go out and get a qb that does fit

Exactly.  Don't bring a hip pop dancer to a ballroom dance competition and complain they can't waltz.  Either find a ballroom dancer or dance hip pop.

No more excuses.  Go out and get a QB that does fit.  There will be FA available and decent QB available through trade.

Just don't draft a rookie with no veteran mentor in the room and claim you done it.

(this is to the Bills, not you)

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

IMO keeping Tyrod is not helping anything. His contract is too big for his not good enough play, having our OC use two schemes for his QBs since Taylor needs the short bus scheme. He is not a mentor look how bad Peterman looked I am sure Taylor pushed his team mates to play horribly in LA to help keep Tyrod as the starter for the rest of the year. Keeping Tyrod would have our rookie in a hole the entire time because of fans and Tyrod friends on the team that will push him to be the starter. They need to move on If they want to get better at the position, use his money for other positions. If this staff wants a Mario W type of locker room cancer keeping him is the right choice IMO.

Please present the evidence you have that makes you so sure of that.

If you believe it without evidence other than the team played badly....that speaks volumes of your judgement, and not good volumes.

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Team has more than enough talent on offense.  The problem is QB, but we have a ton of assets to get something done there.

I agree.  I'm sick of the excuse that TT has no WR talent.  REALLY?  Benjamin suddenly sucks?  Thompson was wide open for a TD vs. Jax, and TT missed him.  O'Leary is good, Clay is good.  Matthews was a good-great WR in Philly.   What's the common issue?.  We lack a QB.  And we likely upgrade the OL and RB depth in the draft.  

31 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I think we tend to chastise Dennison for calls like the 1st and goal throw, but forget about tyrod grounding balls, taking 10-yard sacks, and missing open WRs. That’s not how they’re drawn up, and that’s a big barrier for Dennison to overcome. Also, TTs playaction fake is horrendous. No one is buying it. 

I'm not a fan of Dennison, but these are very fair points to make.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and cloudy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

I can't see how this year is deemed worse than last year, or Ryan's first year.   If the job opens up, I think there will be more interest in it this year than last, because the Process showed results. 

The adage still holds, there are only 32 of these jobs in the world and there won't be a shortage of candidates.

BTW, the WGR analysis ignores a minor tidbit, if there's a Bills OC opening, that means in 3 seasons Tyrod has contributed to the demise of 2 OCs.  That my friends, will be the biggest question facing the potential hire.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I honestly don't see KC looking for an OC. Childress is still there, and will likely just resume playcalling duties as he was previously the Assistant OC I believe.

I thought the belief is Childress is going to retire? Saw something things morning though that they still might promote someone from within, iirc it's the RB coach?

38 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

good luck with getting an answer 

My answer is it is just my opinion on it. Why so serious?

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.  Don't bring a hip pop dancer to a ballroom dance competition and complain they can't waltz.  Either find a ballroom dancer or dance hip pop.

No more excuses.  Go out and get a QB that does fit.  There will be FA available and decent QB available through trade.

Just don't draft a rookie with no veteran mentor in the room and claim you done it.

(this is to the Bills, not you)

Please present the evidence you have that makes you so sure of that.

If you believe it without evidence other than the team played badly....that speaks volumes of your judgement, and not good volumes.

Again just my opinion on it. They played bad, sure Lynn knowing the team had a bunch to do with it but IMO they went against McD and never showed up to show support for Tyrod in that LA game.

IMO Tyrod is not a mentor, Peterman looks horrible with Tyrod as his mentor. Just like CJ. After the first few INTs why didnt Tyrod go help Peterman in that LA game if he is such the mentor?

Edited by xRUSHx