The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

36 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Watching all 22 game tape shows how often our WR's were open and TT just couldn't deliver, or some of our TE's and WR's couldn't hold onto the ball.

Right now its all about the QB position and a upgrade to the O skill positions and much less about the OC job

Absolutely what I keep saying. This system works a lot better with a good QB.

Grab Rudolph and another young RB. Get more young talent in the trenches.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, fridge said:

It's difficult to properly assess this OC because he had Taylor at QB. Each week he was bringing a knife to a gun fight and some weeks we pulled it off.

I have no opinion of Dennison at the moment and would like to see how the offense ticks with a QB that hits receivers in stride, throws an accurate deep ball, and challenges the defense with pre-snap reads.

Like the two freshman QBs that played last night?

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

32 minutes ago, dpberr said:

There isn't a single OC out there that doesn't believe his own "magic" can work wherever he wants it to.

The WGR points are repudiated by fact in some ways.  Dennison came on board with the same eh QB issues, same ehh WR issues, same talent gaps, same older players and a complete unknown - at the time-  as a head coach.  

Actually last year we had a pretty good WR corps.  Dennison/McBeane blew it up.  Maybe for the best in the long run - time will tell - but the fact is what they brought in contributed way less than what they gave up.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

It’s been said all year that tyrod didn’t fit Dennisons system. Go out and get a qb that does fit

Haha, a QB that fits Denns system?

How about a real pocket QB not a RB pretending to be a QB, one that can audible, throw and can use the system given. A true QB that can be used with most OCs. That would be a great start IMO. This short bus Taylor made system will not help any OC out that's for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does, but the TE and WR still need to be able to hold onto the ball.  Oh, and stay in bounds before catching.  System works a lot better when those happen, too.

I'm hoping Matthews stays. KB, Matthews, Jones, Thompson...also Clay, O'Leary. It's a solid group. KB is the type of WR that can take over a game. Just need a passer.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a big critic of Dennison, but I've been wondering how much of the offensive scheme is Dennison and how much is it McDermott?  In other words, what if McDermott told Dennison: run an offensive predicated on pocket passing, and Dennison simply complied.

Just thinking about this past season's offense, it at least appears that McDermott did not tell Dennison to run an offense based on Tyrod's skillset and strengths.  If he did, we would have seen more spread formations, bootlegs, QB options, etc; it would have looked more like a college offense.

32 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Yeah, he's awful at spotting and throwing at the open receivers.

It’s funny how people think Tyrod is the only problem on the team and he will get blamed for literally everything.

“Zay sucks cause of tyrod. Dennison sucks cause of Tyrod. The defence sucked during the middle of the year because Tyrod went 3 and out too often. The o line sucks cause of Tyrod.”

While he is not a good QB, it doesn’t give an excuse for players/coaches on this team to be bad.

When Dennison craps the bed again next year, is his excuse going to be it’s because he has a rookie QB or a veteran bridge QB who can’t get it done?

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It’s funny how people think Tyrod is the only problem on the team and he will get blamed for literally everything.

Zay sucks cause of tyrod. Dennison sucks cause of Tyrod. The defence sucked during the middle of the year because Tyrod went 3 and out too often. The o line sucks cause of Tyrod.

While he is not a good QB, it doesn’t give an excuse for players/coaches on this team to be bad.

When Dennison craps the bed again next year, is his excuse going to be it’s because he has a rookie QB or a veteran bridge QB who can’t get it done?

When and if, collectively, some will eat crow or brag about how they were correct.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Doubtful.

So your thought is McDermott was pretty much hands off regarding the offense and Dennison implemented his plan as he saw fit?

Certainly a possibility and what I suspected most of this season.

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm hoping Matthews stays. KB, Matthews, Jones, Thompson...also Clay, O'Leary. It's a solid group. KB is the type of WR that can take over a game. Just need a passer.

I'm just wondering how you can look at Benjamin's injury, Jones hands, Thompson's performance in Sunday's game, and say this is a solid group?

Benjamin is a good player if he comes back from the injury.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

So your thought is McDermott was pretty much hands off regarding the offense and Dennison implemented his plan as he saw fit?

Certainly a possibility and what I suspected most of this season.

I dunno about "hands off" totally - for example, Castillo was hired before Dennison - but I think he gave Dennison a pretty free hand, including a free hand to try a QB change at roughly the same point in the season where Dennison benched Manning for Osweiler in 2015 after a poor performance, despite a winning record.

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When and if, collectively, some will eat crow or brag about how they were correct.  

He will most likely suck. I’m not going to brag about it if I am correct cause I’m not like that, but I’m very confident he does not have it.

While I expect the offence to improve, (as a lot of people pointed out that he doesn’t have much to work with which is true) I can’t see his offence even close to 16th (average).

If his offence does drastically improve and even is average next year , I will gladly eat crow. But just don’t see that happening.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just wondering how you can look at Benjamin's injury, Jones hands, Thompson's performance in Sunday's game, and say this is a solid group?

Deonte Thompson was signed off the street in week 6 and started as many games as Matthews did. He was tied for most catches by a WR with Zay Jones, but had 23 fewer targets than Zay, and he had the most receiving yards of any of our WRs by 115 yards.

This is a guy who was cut by the Bears, who's biggest weakness going into the draft might just be WR :lol:

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good teams have a great #1 and a good #2. 

KB can be dominant.

Matthews has put up league leading catch numbers in Philly.

Thompson has played very well as deep threat, but is certainly replaceable. 

Jones has had his moments. We'll see. He's got huge upside.

Clay and O'Leary have definitely been solid receivers. I don't hear anyone arguing that.

With a good passer, I wouldn't understand how anyone doesn't see this as a solid group.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is there any reason he would not come back from his injury?  And while Zay had his problems, it seems to me many wrs take a few years to really establish themselves.  It's certainly too early to write him off.  Overall, however, we need more playmakers.  It would be nice to at least have one burner with decent hands at wr, for instance.