Keep Or Let Go 2018 - My List

Irv

Here are the unrestricted free agents. A better list to analyze.

Jordan Matthews - let go

Deonte Thompson - let go

Shareece Wright - let go

Leonard Johnson - keep at low price

Shamarko Thomas - let go

E.J. Gaines - keep

Mike Tolbert - keep if you want to melt this board

Travaris Cadet - keep him or Jones as 3rd back

Taiwan Jones- keep him or Cadet as 3rd back

Cedric Thornton - let go

Joe Webb - keep

Kyle Williams - keep if he will play

Preston Brown - let go (leading NFL tackler who I don't remember making a play at his position all year)

Seantrel Henderson - tough one...coaches will know better if he's worth it

Ramon Humber - let go

Brandon Tate - let go

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Here are the unrestricted free agents. A better list to analyze.

Jordan Matthews - let go

Deonte Thompson - let go

Shareece Wright - let go

Leonard Johnson - keep at low price

Shamarko Thomas - let go

E.J. Gaines - keep

Mike Tolbert - keep if you want to melt this board

Travaris Cadet - keep him or Jones as 3rd back

Taiwan Jones- keep him or Cadet as 3rd back

Cedric Thornton - let go

Joe Webb - keep

Kyle Williams - keep if he will play

Preston Brown - let go (leading NFL tackler who I don't remember making a play at his position all year)

Seantrel Henderson - tough one...coaches will know better if he's worth it

Ramon Humber - let go

Brandon Tate - let go

LoL

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you trolling now because you've been so heavily criticized in this thread?

What are you talking about?  The punt killed us.  If you don't agree fine.  Your responses are so cryptic. Just ignore the thread if you can't make up your mind.  

16 hours ago, fridge said:

If Lorenzo Alexander is back as a starter we are in trouble.

Thought he played his best game of the year against the Jags. In fact he was awesome. That being said he can’t play a linebacker position where he’s forced to cover.  I️ agree he’s gotta be used situationaly as a rusher or short yardage backer. But he’s a “football player.”

2 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

LoL

What are you talking about?  The punt killed us.  If you don't agree fine.  Your responses are so cryptic. Just ignore the thread if you can't make up your mind.  

What am I talking about?  

You're blaming one punt which is ludicrous.  You're really being serious?

14 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Thought he played his best game of the year against the Jags. In fact he was awesome. That being said he can’t play a linebacker position where he’s forced to cover.  I️ agree he’s gotta be used situationaly as a rusher or short yardage backer. But he’s a “football player.”

He's fine situationally, and sometimes can get to the QB, but he's a serious liability on runs to the outside and all coverage.  He's very overrated though, and his best asset to the team is his experience and leadership.  His contract was needless, and I would rather have kept Woods with that money.

16 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

That's the problem. The Jags game was the only one all year where he stood out. He definitely took a step back as did Hughes. Our pass rush was embarrassing. We need a fast sideline to sideline guy to replace Preston.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's the problem. The Jags game was the only one all year where he stood out. He definitely took a step back as did Hughes. Our pass rush was embarrassing. We need a fast sideline to sideline guy to replace Preston.

Somewhere, right now, Sean McDermott is clapping.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What am I talking about?  

You're blaming one punt which is ludicrous.  You're really being serious?

I am.  Whole seasons can come down to one play.  Ask the Ravens!  Can't have mistakes like Schmidt's punt.  Unacceptable.   Also can't have constant mistakes like Zay made throughout the year.  I think he dropped more passes than he caught.  Do you think the Hoodie would put up with this?  No!  You must enjoy mediocrity.   Out they go.

40 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Sounds like you are describing a combination of Reggie Ragland and Brandon Spikes.  Both gone.    

Edited by Badthingsman

1 minute ago, Badthingsman said:

I am.  Whole seasons can come down to one play.  Ask the Ravens!  Can't have mistakes like Schmidt's punt.  Unacceptable.   Also can't have constant mistakes like Zay made throughout the year.  I think he dropped more passes than he caught.  Out they go.

Whole seasons don't come down to one punt in a 3rd quarter that lead to 3 points.  

I'm assuming you're trolling because if you're not....YIKES.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Whole seasons don't come down to one punt in a 3rd quarter that lead to 3 points.  

I'm assuming you're trolling because if you're not....YIKES.

How come any time somebody comes with a strong, well thought out opinion that you disagree with  - it's trolling?  I'll never understand that.  

Just now, Badthingsman said:

How come any time somebody comes with a strong, well thought out opinion that you disagree with  - it's trolling?  I'll never understand that.  

Because it's not strong or well thought out....not even the list.

The idea was a great one but cutting more than 50% of the personnel, putting us much deeper in dead money and blaming a punt in the 3rd quarter which lead to 3 points is incredibly bad.  This is why I think you're trolling or I hope you are.  I'm not the only one who pointed this out, several have....

So basically good topic idea, really bad execution.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because it's not strong or well thought out....not even the list.

The idea was a great one but cutting more than 50% of the personnel, putting us much deeper in dead money and blaming a punt in the 3rd quarter which lead to 3 points is incredibly bad.  This is why I think you're trolling or I hope you are.  I'm not the only one who pointed this out, several have....

So basically good topic idea, really bad execution.  

They let go 38 players last year.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Christ said:

Fans, just get rid of most of them.........especially the ones who go to games just to get drunk and tear **** up. They were an embarrassment down in Jacksonville.......I apologized for them every place I went.

I was there and it wasn't that bad.  There was approximately 25,000 and probably .001 were acting like fools.

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So you are expecting the Bills to do the same thing again, during this off season?

At least 30.   Replace with better players.  

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If this thread was a baseball player, it would be RA Dickey with the Blue Jays.

You're pretty good at name calling.  Do you have anything else?  Like I said, ignore the thread. 

18 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Dime a dozen.  Who really stood out on ST this year?  I didn't see any Steve Tasker out there.

This is just plain wrong.  Quality punters who last all season and can work outdoors in B'lo, and quality long snappers ditto, are NOT a dime a dozen.

Marv Levy once said that the long snapper is the hardest position to fill and the hardest skill to coach.

2 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Yes.  They did 38 last year including in-season trades and moves. 

They released or traded so many players last year to bring in players they saw better scheme fit or better potential with.

If they do the same this year, it means their player personnel evaluation sucks great big dipnoodles and we're in the schitz no matter what.

Coaches and GMs who can't identify depth players who can develop don't get very far under the salary cap Not For Long.

20 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I think Alexander was one of the best guys on field in the playoff game.  

Would love over to see him play another season in any capacity.  

Indeed.  As I said in another thread, Zo played like his balls were on fire and only hitting would put it out.

He's had his struggles this year but if he could be inspired to play like that even part time, he's worth keeping, but of course it depends on who else they can bring in.

18 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Yes.  There are a million punters out there cheaper and better.  

Really?  Can you name 3 of these better cheaper punters please?  I'll even settle for 2

3 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Finally someone who has an original thought!   Zay Jones is not the answer.  He could not get open.   The handful of times he did get open he turned into Roberto Duran.  Move on.  Schmidt can go.  Clay needs to go.  Injured and over paid. Logan Thomas?  C'mon.   So far my list stays solid. 

Thank you for the kind words.  Punters are replaceable.  It's a toss up between Dennison and Schmidt if you had to pinpoint who lost the game for us on Sunday. 

You know, a number of people have offered you thoughtful feedback, including myself, but you don't seem very interested in benefiting from it at all.

That kind of inclines me to think you really are just trolling. 

If you aren't, then I'll point out again:

1) The cap implications of moves need to be considered. Your list would generate a huge amount of dead cap, while generating holes to be filled with less cap.

That typically is a plan where you lose your hat in the NFL ("any plan where you lose your hat...is a bad plan")
2) You would benefit in your "let go" lists, by differentiating between players who are signed, and have cap implications if released, vs players who are FA

Likewise in your "keep" list, by differentiating between players who are signed, and players who are FA and have cap implications to resign

3) Teams don't cut 2nd round rookies in their 2nd season, especially when doing so would generate $3.5M dead money (-$1.5M savings).  That's just silly.  Likewise, when you have a guy like Clay who is producing (top receiving yards on team) and who costs as much to cut as to keep, there's really no driver to cut him.
4) Last year a huge number of players were cut and replaced because our new coaches wanted to bring in guys who matched their scheme and their evaluation for development potential.  But if a team does that every year, it means their GM, scouts, and coaches suck at evaluating depth players with development potential.  Are you saying Beane and his staff and McDermott and his staff suck?

I don't see a lot of original thought in your list, actually.  It seems to be 'cut every depth and PS player, know nothing about salary cap management and don't want to'

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're not trolling, the list is trash. 

It's better than your list!

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, a number of people have offered you thoughtful feedback, including myself, but you don't seem very interested in benefiting from it at all.

That kind of inclines me to think you really are just trolling. 

If you aren't, then I'll point out again:

1) The cap implications of moves need to be considered. Your list would generate a huge amount of dead cap, while generating holes to be filled with less cap.

That typically is a plan where you lose your hat in the NFL ("any plan where you lose your hat...is a bad plan")
2) You would benefit in your "let go" lists, by differentiating between players who are signed, and have cap implications if released, vs players who are FA

Likewise in your "keep" list, by differentiating between players who are signed, and players who are FA and have cap implications to resign

3) Teams don't cut 2nd round rookies in their 2nd season, especially when doing so would generate $3.5M dead money (-$1.5M savings).  That's just silly.  Likewise, when you have a guy like Clay who is producing (top receiving yards on team) and who costs as much to cut as to keep, there's really no driver to cut him.
4) Last year a huge number of players were cut and replaced because our new coaches wanted to bring in guys who matched their scheme and their evaluation for development potential.  But if a team does that every year, it means their GM, scouts, and coaches suck at evaluating depth players with development potential.  Are you saying Beane and his staff and McDermott and his staff suck?

I don't see a lot of original thought in your list, actually.  It seems to be 'cut every depth and PS player, know nothing about salary cap management and don't want to'

I take offense to you calling me names over and over.  The guys I labeled "Let Go" I want let go.  It's as simple as that.  Only one dude took the time to prepare his own list.  The rest just nagged like an old lady.  Tiring. 

49 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

It's better than your list!

I take offense to you calling me names over and over.  The guys I labeled "Let Go" I want let go.  It's as simple as that.  Only one dude took the time to prepare his own list.  The rest just nagged like an old lady.  Tiring. 

OK, I have not called you names.  *plonk* (thats the sound of  a proven troll falling into my "ignore" bucket)

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I have not called you names.  *plonk* (thats the sound of  a proven troll falling into my "ignore" bucket)

Thank God.  Adios

Rickey Hatley

I guess we picked him up for the practice squad a couple of weeks ago and within a few days was brought up to the team and  played some snaps vs Miami (NT).

I looked at the box score vs Jax and the guy got 3 tackles (combined) in only 18 snaps.

Now I wish I'd recorded the game, just to see if I could pick him out.  His # is 94.

Anybody comment?  Maybe we'll get lucky on this guy.  Sure would be nice to not spend a draft choice or get a FA and DT is for sure a big need.

30 minutes ago, hemma said:

Rickey Hatley

I guess we picked him up for the practice squad a couple of weeks ago and within a few days was brought up to the team and  played some snaps vs Miami (NT).

I looked at the box score vs Jax and the guy got 3 tackles (combined) in only 18 snaps.

Now I wish I'd recorded the game, just to see if I could pick him out.  His # is 94.

Anybody comment?  Maybe we'll get lucky on this guy.  Sure would be nice to not spend a draft choice or get a FA and DT is for sure a big need.

Hatley didn't stand out to me. He is tall and big, but isn't really a 1 technique tackle. Looked like he played rather high to me, but he did rotate a bit. I think he's more of a 3-4 defensive end with his build, but hes not a bad Swiss army knife guy for depth. He could play the 1, 3, or heavy defensive end in the under alignment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1