With vet QB (Cousins/Keenum/Bradford) Bills will be popular SB Pick in 18

dezertbill

Every year the media jumps on the up and coming team from the previous season. 

McDermott brought the Bills to relevance by leading them to the playoffs.  He brought mental toughness and accountability to the team, and most of the players would run through a wall for him.  He officially changed our culture the minute we punched our ticket to Jacksonville.

Our arrow is pointing up.  

We all know the shortcomings that TT brought to the table.  Although I was a fan, this year proved he isn't our answer at QB.

If we were 4-12, then I could see the Bills drafting a QB and going that route in 18.

But we are 9-7, and a believe if we had a QB like Cousins or Keenum in the game vs. Jacksonville we would have won...even had double digit wins during the regular season.

We are too far advanced to take a step back.  I can definitely see Beane put all our resources into solving the one position that we have been struggling to fix for two decades.

Cousins is 29, and with the Brees and Brady's of the world doing magic in the late 30's, there is no reason to think he can't give us 10 years of solid QB play.

If we sign a player like Cousins, then without question this team will be the popular pick to go to the SB next season.

• Haha (+1) 1

We will need to add a couple dominant front seven pieces before I believe any one of those QBs can get us there. None of them are what I consider the type of QB that puts a team on his back and makes everyone else around them better. But with a dominant defense, a truly dominant defense, decent, mistake-free QB play can take you far. 

The 2017 Dolphins should serve as a cautionary tale in terms of high expectations and disappointment after a first  year head coach gets a team with a playoff drought back into the tourney.

And I still think 2018 has all the makings of a classic 'two steps back' season for the Bills especially with a head coach in McD that has a lot of work to do with his personel evaluation, game decisions and clock management skills.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

The 2017 Dolphins should serve as a cautionary tale in terms of high expectations and disappointment after a first  year head coach gets a team with a playoff drought back into the tourney.

And I still think 2018 has all the makings of a classic 'two steps back' season for the Bills especially with a head coach in McD that has a lot of work to do with his personel evaluation, game decisions and clock management skills.

I’m really sorry about your Dolphins... maybe they’ll do better next year :(

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

LOL

25 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

McDermott brought the Bills to relevance by leading them to the playoffs.  He brought mental toughness and accountability to the team, and most of the players would run through a wall for him.  He officially changed our culture the minute we punched our ticket to Jacksonville.

We all know the shortcomings that TT brought to the table.  Although I was a fan, this year proved he isn't our answer at QB.

If we were 4-12, then I could see the Bills drafting a QB and going that route in 18.

But we are 9-7, and a believe if we had a QB like Cousins or Keenum in the game vs. Jacksonville we would have won...even had double digit wins during the regular season.

We are too far advanced to take a step back.  I can definitely see Beane put all our resources into solving the one position that we have been struggling to fix for two decades.

Cousins is 29, and with the Brees and Brady's of the world doing magic in the late 30's, there is no reason to think he can't give us 10 years of solid QB play.

If we sign a player like Cousins, then without question this team will be the popular pick to go to the SB next season.

No question cousins would be an improvement, but seeing him play here in DC, I’m telling you.. there is a reason Washington hasn’t gone all in already. Hes got some glaring weaknesses and limitations and this same group of bills fans will be right back to the draft boards looking for better while at the same time suffering a talent vacuum due to of self inflicted cap pain. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

23 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Sorry, about your Dolphins. It must grind your gears the Bills swept the genius Gase, and his band of rule breaking bandits. 

One would be naïve to think the Bills aren't going to address shortcomings on each side of the ball besides QB.

Last year we drafted Tre White in 1st, Zay Jones and Dawkins in 2nd, and Milano in 5th. 

White, Dawkins, and Milano are all solid starters in only their rookie season.  Zay Jones started slow but caught on as the season wore on and will only be better next season.  Also keep in mind with Jones who was (rather wasn't) throwing him the ball.

The Bills have 4 picks in the top two rounds and 8 in the top five rounds.  I'm expecting them to get 4 solid starters next season from those picks.  

First pick will be Dareus' replacement.  We'll also get a replacement for Mills at OT (keep in mind we have Miller coming back at G). 

Although I like OLeary and Logan Thomas I can see us going high for a pass-catching TE to protect from another Clay injury. 

I like Brown/Milano/Alexander at LB, although I see a replacement coming for Alexander down the road.  With a competent QB I think Benajamin, Jones and Deonte Thompson can be a solid starting WR core with a competent QB behind center.  Although I see us drafting or signing another solid WR option.

So yes, with FA and draft I see the Bills upgrading in many areas.

But what's different about this team is mindset and heart.  This is a resilient bunch and what McD is teaching them is what people will believe in more than just the talent. 

If this was Rex Ryan I would say no way.  But with McD along with Beane running his first draft with his team of former GM's running our scouting dept, I think we are in great hands.

When FA and the draft are over, IF the Bills add a starting veteran QB option, I definitely see this team as the popular pick.

Edited by dezertbill

39 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

IF the rumors of BB leaving were true or Brady hanging them up after this year I can see the Bills being the sexy pick or the dark horse for the SB.  But if they don't the most you will hear is "did the Bills do enough to surpass Brady and the Patriots?" 

I think they They be a lock for a WC spot on everyone's prediction sheets with an improved QB.

That said Bradford is hurt almost every single year so if the Bills sign him they better have a young Rookie QB or other vet ready to go by week 6 or 7.

This was a very week 9-7 team though. Other than turnover differential and clutch 50+ yard kicks from Haushcka, this basically a 5-11 or 6-10 team. Carpenter was great his first season with us too and then fizzled out his final two years with us. Turnover differential will more likely than not go down next season. I'm not against bringing in a veteran QB but there are plenty of signs that this team could go 8-8 or even 7-9 next season even with an upgrade at the QB position.

Cousins isn't the be-all end-all solution to what ails this team, especially if he's eating 30M in cap room each year. I don't see Buffalo going hard after him for this reason and the team building strategy they're going to insist on.  They've got so many needs throughout the roster that this kind of contract would inhibit the improvements they need to make on the OL, defensive front 7, and WR group.

50 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

And don't forget the Jets under first year head coach Todd Bolwes in 2015. They didn't make the playoffs but they finished 10-6 and you could make a legitimate argument that Jets team was better than both the 2016 Dolphins and 2017 Bills. Definitely a strong history of teams taking a step back after taking a step forward. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This was a very week 9-7 team though. Other than turnover differential and clutch 50+ yard kicks from Haushcka, this basically a 5-11 or 6-10 team. Carpenter was great his first season with us too and then fizzled out his final two years with us. Turnover differential will more likely than not go down next season. I'm not against bringing in a veteran QB but there are plenty of signs that this team could go 8-8 or even 7-9 next season even with an upgrade at the QB position.

I have been trying to tell this to my friends and family. Daltons throw all of the sudden made us WAY better than we are in their eyes. I dont actually expect us to make the playoffs next season unless we have a spectacular draft. I like McD and the mentality he brought to the team and we have some good players from last years draft but we just are not a good football team.

We are a lucky 9-7 because of turnovers as you say. The Dolphins/Raiders (someone mentioned the 2015 Jets as well as another good example) from last year can show you that one season of exceeding expectations does not mean you get better the next year. Often times you regress. Im not saying that its guaranteed we regress, I just want people to slow their roll with this team. We are not one piece away from a Superbowl. We are likely 2-3 years away with solid drafting and player development.

Edited by jletha

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'm wary of a step back to but I honestly believe it's a little more unlikely. The Bills dumped the big contracts en-route to a 9-7 season so they were somewhat at a base line. 

On top of it all they had bad QBs. The playoffs may have been luck in the end but they were still a 9-7 team when on paper they had no business a 9-7 team.