Offensive Coordinator

Mopreme

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's not the Jesus comparison I was going for.  My point was that I think it's silly to blame Dennison for a crap passing game when the passing game was crap for the 2 years Taylor was the QB under different coordinators.

Everyone wanted to let Tyrod run all season long.  He would have been out for the season before the bye.

It's not Dennison's fault that Tyrod Taylor sucks and that Tyrod Taylor was his only option.

The issue is the entire offense as a whole regressed this season compared to the previous 2 season before that. Despite Taylor's limitations we scored a bunch of points and had a good red zone offense. 

Just now, Gugny said:

No.  It's not.  The Bills did not lead the league in scoring last year.

No, they did not lead the league in scoring last season.  But were 16th ranked total offense according to ESPN.  This year they are 29th.

Tyrod is not a great QB, which we know, but Dennison stubbornly forced him into a west coast offense system developed by Mike Shanahan and similar to what John Elway ran in the late 1990s.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It can.  Any job other than HC is considered an Assistant Coach.  Position coach to coordinator absolutely can be blocked.  

Yeah i see that the rule hasnt been changed yet. Well absolutely Bills should still call for the interview and let Philly look like dicks with the block of playcalling duties two years in a row 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I did and I particularly liked the idea of the Bills taking a shot at him because I thought there was a chance he got to us which of course he did.  I think Rosen is the best QB in this class but he will not get to us, not a chance.  After that I don't actually have big gaps between Darnold, Mayfield and Rudolph.  I'd be content with any of those though the leraning curves for each are slightly different.  My full QB scouting reports will come later but I am in favour of a creative young OC.  

Thanks. I agree with what you are saying about  a creative, young OC. I felt that way last year and was in favor of hiring McVay. Also liked Watson, but I let myself get talked out of it by the talking heads. Not again. I have tried to watch all the QBs you mentioned and agree with Rosen being tops...but not getting him. I think we need to get a veteran QB and then draft someone like Rudolph perhaps.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah i see that the rule hasnt been changed yet. Well absolutely Bills should still call for the interview and let Philly look like dicks with the block of playcalling duties two years in a row 

I also didn't love his Cleveland offense when he was an OC though the talent was awful.  I'm not quite sure why he has got all the press and Frank Reich has been the forgotten man in Philly.  Maybe I am wrong but I'm just a tad wary of DeFilippo.  I'd be willing to take a shot as OC.  Now way I think he should be getting HC interviews quite yet.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I also didn't love his Cleveland offense when he was an OC though the talent was awful.  I'm not quite sure why he has got all the press and Frank Reich has been the forgotten man in Philly.  Maybe I am wrong but I'm just a tad wary of DeFilippo.  I'd be willing to take a shot as OC.  Now way I think he should be getting HC interviews quite yet.  

Carr and Wentz two Young QBs developed under his watch. Yep make the call and let Philly block you

For the crowd that says Dennison won't be fired, you must remember that Dennison was not the first choice of this coaching staff.  There is no doubt they settled and the results were horrible.  We were setting records with how few points we were scoring in games.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree re: Woods.

But to say "WR was less talented," is an understatement.

I'll put it this way, if we had a legitimate QB/OC combination, then I think last year's statistics could have been matched if not surpassed.

Plus, Benjamin, Matthews, Thompson, and Holmes were not available for significant portions of the year.

Give a franchise QB Benjamin/Matthews/Jones/Thompson/Holmes as WR1-5 and they'll regularly carve defenses up. 

9 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

For the crowd that says Dennison won't be fired, you must remember that Dennison was not the first choice of this coaching staff.  There is no doubt they settled and the results were horrible.  We were setting records with how few points we were scoring in games.

Yep.  I can't imagine McDermott being happy with the offense given how the defense kept them in most of the games lost this season.  He's probably aware that this team could have been much better with an at least average offense.  This has to weigh on his post season evaluations.

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

Agree or disagree with the play call- the issue is execution.  We are often hit for a loss on running plays,  but the pass was poorly thrown and benjamin, with his height advantage didn't need to push off. We had the matchup we wanted, just poorly executed all around.

Yes, this fact reflects badly on Tyrod and is yet another case that shows he is not gonna be the man capable of winning (or simply even getting a berth) the SB.

However, he mistake made by some us armchair analysts would be to somehow also concludethis lays the blame on TT and exonerates Denison (or even McDermott).

On the contrary, the failed play is a clear indictment of Denison for calling an RPO that gave the flawed TT the option to throw a pass he had failed to complete for  a TD many times before.

The bad results of the play are factually an indictment of Tyrod that he is not a good enough player to take the Bills deep in the playoffs AND it also is an indictment of Denison that our OC is not the man to take us deep in the playoffs if he could not see what is obvious to many (such as you I believe) and RD made a badly flawed decision to call a play which relied on Tyrod to take and perform the right option.

Add to that RD (and McD) have as one of their prime responsibilities to develop young QBs and they appear to have totally mismanaged the proper development of NP (they threw this potentially very good pro to the wolves by making trhe unprecedented decision to make a consensus NFL rated 5th round picked rookie the man given the reins.

It is not unreasonable at all if McD demonstrated the importance of accountability in "the process" by showing both TT and RD the door. 

2 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Yes, this fact reflects badly on Tyrod and is yet another case that shows he is not gonna be the man capable of winning (or simply even getting a berth) the SB.

However, he mistake made by some us armchair analysts would be to somehow also concludethis lays the blame on TT and exonerates Denison (or even McDermott).

On the contrary, the failed play is a clear indictment of Denison for calling an RPO that gave the flawed TT the option to throw a pass he had failed to complete for  a TD many times before.

The bad results of the play are factually an indictment of Tyrod that he is not a good enough player to take the Bills deep in the playoffs AND it also is an indictment of Denison that our OC is not the man to take us deep in the playoffs if he could not see what is obvious to many (such as you I believe) and RD made a badly flawed decision to call a play which relied on Tyrod to take and perform the right option.

Add to that RD (and McD) have as one of their prime responsibilities to develop young QBs and they appear to have totally mismanaged the proper development of NP (they threw this potentially very good pro to the wolves by making trhe unprecedented decision to make a consensus NFL rated 5th round picked rookie the man given the reins.

It is not unreasonable at all if McD demonstrated the importance of accountability in "the process" by showing both TT and RD the door. 

I'm not a fan of Dennison's playcalling or play designs this season and there are plenty of reasons to criticize him, however I don't think this is one of those. We had the matchup we wanted, a huge physical advantage for Benjamin, it was poorly executed by both Taylor and Benjamin. On a run play , Dareus could have easily blown past Wood(again) for a loss in the backfield. It's all about execution.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm not a fan of Dennison's playcalling or play designs this season and there are plenty of reasons to criticize him, however I don't think this is one of those. We had the matchup we wanted, a huge physical advantage for Benjamin, it was poorly executed by both Taylor and Benjamin. On a run play , Dareus could have easily blown past Wood(again) for a loss in the backfield. It's all about execution.

I get the idea, but I don't think any OC calls a play based on what Dareus might or might not be able to do. 

13 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get the idea, but I don't think any OC calls a play based on what Dareus might or might not be able to do. 

I just used Dareus as an example because earlier(later?) in the game, he blasted past Wood to get McCoy for a loss. And we often get tackled for losses in what seem to be obvious run formations.  And Dareus had a strong game.

Edited by klos63

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I just used Dareus as an example because earlier(later?) in the game, he blasted past Wood to get McCoy for a loss. And we often get tackled for losses in what seem to be obvious run formations.  And Dareus had a strong game.

I get you, and what I am about to say might be refuted by the RPO play-call, but I just feel anyone who saw Marshawn Lynch not get the ball at the goal line in the Super Bowl would have thought, "Hmmm, I think I should give the ball to my top 5 NFL HB." Or heck, even Tolbert, who has shown he can rumble ahead for 1-2 yards pretty consistently. But really, feed Shady there. 

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get you, and what I am about to say might be refuted by the RPO play-call, but I just feel anyone who saw Marshawn Lynch not get the ball at the goal line in the Super Bowl would have thought, "Hmmm, I think I should give the ball to my top 5 NFL HB." Or heck, even Tolbert, who has shown he can rumble ahead for 1-2 yards pretty consistently. But really, feed Shady there. 

I would have run the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I'll put it this way, if we had a legitimate QB/OC combination, then I think last year's statistics could have been matched if not surpassed.

Plus, Benjamin, Matthews, Thompson, and Holmes were not available for significant portions of the year.

Give a franchise QB Benjamin/Matthews/Jones/Thompson/Holmes as WR1-5 and they'll regularly carve defenses up. 

I totally agree with this.

My point is that Tyrod has had above average receivers (plural) for all three years he's been !@#$ing us ... I mean, starting.

Week after week, we have seen All 22s that show open receivers who didn't get targeted.  The gameplan and the playcalls are not the problem.  The QB is.

I'm not sitting here saying the Bills NEED to retain Dennison.  Frankly, I couldn't give two *****.  I just don't think he's responsible for the putrid passing game and I don't think he's done anything that would warrant him getting fired.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

And McD said after the game that we would like some calls back. 

For him to publicly call out playcalling is a big deal with McDermott as he is loath to say anything of merit to the media.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

After looking at him he has an impressive resume of improving offenses , seems like he would be a great hire.

Why do you like him?

I explain my reasoning on Sean Ryan up thread. 

Chud does have a history of good first seasons that he can't sustain. He did work with Cam as a rookie though so that goes in his favour. Just not sure I'd find it a very inspiring hire.... but I'd hate it less than Mike freaking McCoy. 

....will be interesting to see if McD trusts his OWN PROCESS and determines Dennison is not a good fit OR pulls a "Wade" and remains loyal to his staff.......Dennison is inconsistent as hell and certainly had his share of mind boggling, bonehead play calls....have NO intention of making this a TT thread, but one week Dennison would make use of his mobility and do a 180 the next week......if this is the best we can expect from a guy with 27 years of coaching on the offensive of the ball, he's hit his "ceiling" IMO and needs help packing......tons of evaluations out there how a great flaw of this guy is stubbornness to adapt his offense to existing personnel.....BUT...I'm sure NONE of it is his fault because all offensive personnel suck except for Shady.....poor Rick is a victim of circumstance......

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I explain my reasoning on Sean Ryan up thread. 

Chud does have a history of good first seasons that he can't sustain. He did work with Cam as a rookie though so that goes in his favour. Just not sure I'd find it a very inspiring hire.... but I'd hate it less than Mike freaking McCoy. 

K, hadn't gone through the thread.

Anyone who can make cam  look good has to be a genuis :D

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Tyrod is not a great QB, which we know, but Dennison stubbornly forced him into a west coast offense system developed by Mike Shanahan and similar to what John Elway ran in the late 1990s.  

There is a case to be made for doing that this year. If the thought is they want to run this system for the next 3 seasons, then you run it and see what Tyrod can do and move on if he doesn't make it work. I don't necessarily agree with that strategy but I can respect it.

However  we ran the same freaking offense in a playoff game. That is indefensible. We're not auditioning Tyrod anymore or building a foundation for the future. Gugny said it himself, we needed to unleash Tyrod in the playoffs regardless of the plan for next year. Dennison utterly failed to do that. He still ran his quick timing west coast offense. There were a couple QB draws and that was it. No read option QB keepers, no rolling Tyrod out of the pocket. How can the OC not be blamed for that pathetic performance? We scored 3 points while the defense kept giving us the ball back.

Dennison needs to go. No one on the offense played at their best this year, a bunch of players noticeably regressed under his watch. If people would take their Tyrod blinders off they would see he is a big problem too.

• Like (+1) 2

• Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers will keep defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt around for the 2018 season.

A team spokesperson confirmed the Chargers have reached agreements with Bradley and Whisenhunt to remain with the Chargers.

Mike McCoy will be announced as offensive coordinator   We can stop the discussion now

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:
  • Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers will keep defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt around for the 2018 season.

A team spokesperson confirmed the Chargers have reached agreements with Bradley and Whisenhunt to remain with the Chargers.

Old news

On 1/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, HappyDays said:

There is a case to be made for doing that this year. If the thought is they want to run this system for the next 3 seasons, then you run it and see what Tyrod can do and move on if he doesn't make it work. I don't necessarily agree with that strategy but I can respect it.

However  we ran the same freaking offense in a playoff game. That is indefensible. We're not auditioning Tyrod anymore or building a foundation for the future. Gugny said it himself, we needed to unleash Tyrod in the playoffs regardless of the plan for next year. Dennison utterly failed to do that. He still ran his quick timing west coast offense. There were a couple QB draws and that was it. No read option QB keepers, no rolling Tyrod out of the pocket. How can the OC not be blamed for that pathetic performance? We scored 3 points while the defense kept giving us the ball back.

Dennison needs to go. No one on the offense played at their best this year, a bunch of players noticeably regressed under his watch. If people would take their Tyrod blinders off they would see he is a big problem too.

Dennison is gone and McCoy is in

Edited by Chadwick Bay Chad

20 hours ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

Mike McCoy will be announced as offensive coordinator   We can stop the discussion now

Old news

Dennison is gone and McCoy is in

There it is folks, we can shut down TBD, Cadwick Don has spoken!

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Jim Bob Cooter is an interesting name should he become available.

In the most literal sense...

On 1/10/2018 at 4:26 PM, Ittakestime said:

Here are the Indy Coaches.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches.html

Sanjay Lal receivers coach.  He was well liked here, maybe what Zay needs.  Perhaps if it’s Chudzinski he will bring him along.

Brian Schottenheimer could also be included, he has had success before.

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

There it is folks, we can shut down TBD, Cadwick Don has spoken!

In the most literal sense...

....LMAO....McMouthpiece.......what exactly has McCoy shown while in SD or Denver?........wouldn't you wait to see who becomes available FIRST in the upcoming weeks?.....what's the rush?...as far as Jim Bob Cooter, he sounds more like a guy from The Waltons versus an NFL Coach....maybe could also get John Boy..............