Offensive Coordinator

Mopreme

Just now, simool said:

How does Chan Gailey's name not come up in this discussion? lol.  Just kidding folks.

Aaron Kromer might be a good fit.  May be too much of a knucklehead for McD though.

I know you kid but I wouldn't mind Chan. I loved his offense. The defense just was awful those years. Always liked Chan, just wasn't a head coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's a less than 50% chance they fire Dennison.  But I thought it was a bad hire and it proved itself out.  You can point to Tyrod for the Offensive struggles and you wouldn't be incorrect in doing so, but you also have to put a lot of culpability on the OC that was too stubborn to mold a system around his talent.  A guy that is looking for the right piece to his system is doomed to failure in the NFL, because injuries are just part of the game and the ideal component is always a play away from being unavailable.  The coaches who adjust and evolve with the strengths of their personnel are the best coaches.  I'm not saying Dennison didn't adapt, but it was really just half-measures and some elements of his offense that are just not suited to the personnel remained staples in the playcalling - such as the zone read runs wide - those were consistently met with TFLs.  The playcalling lacked aggressiveness and seemed designed to get 10 yards in 3 plays, rather than attacking defenses.  Mistakes were almost insurmountable if the team got behind the chains, and the play calling seemed satisfied with no turnover punts if 2nd and long presented itself.  The NFL rewards passing  more than running, and 2nd and long can easily be wiped out by defensive holding, illegal contact, and pass interference - some teams even design plays around trying to get those calls.  Running on 2nd and long in an obvious run formation just doesn't cut it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know you kid but I wouldn't mind Chan. I loved his offense. The defense just was awful those years. Always liked Chan, just wasn't a head coach. 

If someone would give Chan a decent QB, he would be tough to beat.

I think you can have your cake and eat it too. I think McDermott could keep Dennison (that way he can stay loyal) around as a senior offensive assistant and hire Ken Dorsey. Hire a young guy in the role for the first time and have a guy around with a ton of experience like Dennison around. 

Or look at McCoy or just wait for Rob Chudzinski to shake lose from Indy. 

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Dorsey could be a solid hire I think. He was always a very smart QB, just not the most athletically gifted. Has a solid resume. 

I Iike the idea of Dorsey. Young and former QB too.  I can see McDormett pushing for him due to the Carolina connection, that's if they permit him to interview with the Bills. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I have a new favorite. John Defilipinno the QB coach in Philly. He developed Carr and Wentz two young QBs and also was OC with Pettines Browns and had some good production with limited talent 

He’s interviewing for HC positions I believe. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dennison should stay.

You should finish the thought :  "Dennison should stay home and retire."

I'm not a fan of coaching that puts a rigid system in place that only certain players can do well in.  Systems aren't necessarily bad, but one that requires certain talent at high levels is just too inflexible for the realities of NFL rosters over the course of a season.

2 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

You should finish the thought :  "Dennison should stay home and retire."

I'm not a fan of coaching that puts a rigid system in place that only certain players can do well in.  Systems aren't necessarily bad, but one that requires certain talent at high levels is just too inflexible for the realities of NFL rosters over the course of a season.

The common denominator over the past three years of a dismal passing game is Tyrod Taylor.  Dennison is an Offensive Coordinator.  He's not Jesus.

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well if he doesnt get one. There is the promotion (i dont think can be blocked) from QB coach to OC

Unfortunately that isn't a promotion. All assistants are considered the same level, even coordinators.

And, in looking at the league, and the list of potential suitors, Dennison is certainly a buck in the trend. Of the 34 OC's & respected offensive minds I looked at:

- only 2 primarily played defense in their playing days. Dennison & O'Brien.

- 2 Didn't play, but learned under established coaches (Haley & Hackett). 

- 2 played OL (Shurmur & Goodwin).

- 1 played RB (Robiskie)

- 4 played WR/TE (Morton, Chudzinski, Whisenhunt, Shanahan)

- The remaining 25 all played QB at at least the collegiate level.

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Dennison probably should be crucified though. Or, y'know, fired. Yeah, fired. 

That's not the Jesus comparison I was going for.  My point was that I think it's silly to blame Dennison for a crap passing game when the passing game was crap for the 2 years Taylor was the QB under different coordinators.

Everyone wanted to let Tyrod run all season long.  He would have been out for the season before the bye.

It's not Dennison's fault that Tyrod Taylor sucks and that Tyrod Taylor was his only option.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dennison should stay.

I think he sealed his fate when he called for Peterman to start.  Could have submarined the entire season.

I have no issues in bringing in Chudzinski

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's not the Jesus comparison I was going for.  My point was that I think it's silly to blame Dennison for a crap passing game when the passing game was crap for the 2 years Taylor was the QB under different coordinators.

Everyone wanted to let Tyrod run all season long.  He would have been out for the season before the bye.

It's not Dennison's fault that Tyrod Taylor sucks and that Tyrod Taylor was his only option.

The offense had its worst year under Dennison.  The previous two years the offense was decent with comparable parts.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it can be the case that both Taylor and Dennison underperformed this year. But, I would have liked to see an OC who can adapt to his QB, not try and fit a square peg in a round hole. 

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The offense had its worst year under Dennison.  The previous two years the offense was decent with comparable parts.

But then, yeah, this I agree with, too. 

Dennison will probably (80% chance) be back, you have to keep the continuity and try him out with a QB who can actually perform in his system, you think "the process" is going to can an OC after 1 season? Think again, I think he gets at least one more season with a new QB and if he fails then he will be gone by next year seasons end, I think this offense improves twofold with a competent QB at the helm.

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Comparable parts.

Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

3 hours ago, horned dogs said:

I respect your opinion on these matters. Googled him, just curious why Ryan? Not being snarky.

So he was very involved with designing the Houston offense in such a way as to bring Clemson concepts to help Watson feel comfortable in the transition to the pros.  I want this team to take a shot on a Quarterback in the 1st round of this draft if at all possible.... and I think you want a guy who has proven himself capable of doing that kind meshing of what that Quarterback is used to and can do well with the more traditional NFL concepts.  

He doesn't call the plays and of course there is a risk he is a good designer / bad playcaller but Sean McVay had never called plays before Washington promoted him to OC.  I think you identify a young, talented creative mind and you give him a shot.  I'd rather not dump Dennison to install another new offense designed by another uninspiring retread.  Chudzinski and McCoy et al fall into that bracket for me. It is different if you are bringing a proven quality OC - a Whisenhunt or someone for example in.... but just circling round retreads who have had limited success to this point would be change for changes sake IMO.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

McCoy and Clay were the same. WR was less talented, but I think a decent QB/OC combo would still have made due with Benjamin/Matthews/Thompson/Holmes/Jones. Woods was the bigger loss than was Watkins. 

I agree re: Woods.

But to say "WR was less talented," is an understatement.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Comparable parts.

Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

Same o line, QB, TE, and RB.  So yes comparable parts.

The WRs were different.  You have to remember that Watkins really didn't play last year and Goodwin was usually hurt.

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Same o line, QB, TE, and RB.  So yes comparable parts.

The WRs were different.  You have to remember that Watkins really didn't play last year and Goodwin was usually hurt.

I'm sorry.  I forgot how insignificant WRs are to an offense.  I stand corrected.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The common denominator over the past three years of a dismal passing game is Tyrod Taylor.  Dennison is an Offensive Coordinator.  He's not Jesus.

Tyrod isn't the best passing QB.  No argument from me on that, but the blocking schemes weren't great.  The run game took a step back, and they tried to make Taylor into the QB that he isn't (more pocket passing), rather than tailoring it to his strengths like the last 2 OCs.  Dennison completely tried changing the things that this personnel did well and only changed after the players strongly advocated to go back to what worked.  Remember these issues under Ryan's Defenses?  Guys being coached to a scheme that they know isn't working well enough and away from what they know does and has in the recent past. 

I don't think that the argument about how many OCs does Taylor need to go through is relevant.  Roman was a sacrificial lamb for Ryan and the least of the issues wrong with the team, and Lynn was hired as HC.  So Taylor actually helped make someone into a HC rather than a casualty.  Dennison's predecessors had plenty of success with Taylor and the offenses under Taylor were a huge improvement over the most of the offenses the Bills had before him.  I'm not saying Taylor is the long term answer - he is not, IMO.  However, I don't think you throw him out of the picture until you are sure you've got something better.  Dennison on the other hand is not the guy for the job of OC, either, but as I said and as Shaw said, I don't think there is a significant chance he is fired.  McDermott doesn't strike me as a cut throat guy that would throw his OC under the bus after a playoff appearance.  It's not necessarily the right move to keep him, though, if better options become available.  I really think they need a good OC that knows how to develop a QB if they plan on developing one.  However, this may not be what they are really interested in doing given their draft position and the amount of veteran QBs that are likely available this off-season.   

44 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well if he doesnt get one. There is the promotion (i dont think can be blocked) from QB coach to OC

It can.  Any job other than HC is considered an Assistant Coach.  Position coach to coordinator absolutely can be blocked.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Offense went from tops in the league to scoring points last year to bottom of the league this year. What's the common denominator? 

This simply isn't true.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So he was very involved with designing the Houston offense in such a way as to bring Clemson concepts to help Watson feel comfortable in the transition to the pros.  I want this team to take a shot on a Quarterback in the 1st round of this draft if at all possible.... and I think you want a guy who has proven himself capable of doing that kind meshing of what that Quarterback is used to and can do well with the more traditional NFL concepts.  

He doesn't call the plays and of course there is a risk he is a good designer / bad playcaller but Sean McVay had never called plays before Washington promoted him to OC.  I think you identify a young, talented creative mind and you give him a shot.  I'd rather not dump Dennison to install another new offense designed by another uninspiring retread.  Chudzinski and McCoy et al fall into that bracket for me. It is different if you are bringing a proven quality OC - a Whisenhunt or someone for example in.... but just circling round retreads who have had limited success to this point would be change for changes sake IMO.  

I get it so you would like an outside the box thinker who will be able to design an offense to help develop a young QB from the draft. Who is your guy this year amongst the QBs? You liked Watson last year if I recall correctly.

Just now, horned dogs said:

I get it so you would like an outside the box thinker who will be able to design an offense to help develop a young QB from the draft. Who is your guy this year amongst the QBs? You liked Watson last year if I recall correctly.

I did and I particularly liked the idea of the Bills taking a shot at him because I thought there was a chance he got to us which of course he did.  I think Rosen is the best QB in this class but he will not get to us, not a chance.  After that I don't actually have big gaps between Darnold, Mayfield and Rudolph.  I'd be content with any of those though the leraning curves for each are slightly different.  My full QB scouting reports will come later but I am in favour of a creative young OC.