Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He gets open and J Garrapolo will find him. Unlike Goff, who never seems to make the connection and throws his way rarely as he's content to take the underneath routes. It would be a better fit imo

They are not the best offense for him - with Goff- because he’s more of an outside/vertical  threat. He doesn’t seem to like going over the middle. This will be one reason he seeks out another team imo. 

Mcvay’s offense in Washington would have been better suited to him with Cousins. But he’s tailoring it to Goff, as he should. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They are not the best offense for him - with Goff- because he’s more of an outside/vertical  threat. He doesn’t seem to like going over the middle. This will be one reason he seeks out another team imo. 

Mcvay’s offense in Washington would have been better suited to him with Cousins. But he’s tailoring it to Goff, as he should. 

While I agree it's not the best offense for him - mostly due to the QB and his style, it's got zero to do with going over the middle.  He runs the routes that the HC and OC want him to - mostly the outside routes that draw the safety coverage. That's just where he has the most value to the offense and influencing the coverage. Why wouldn't he go over the middle? Anyone can do it these days as no one hits you until you've caught the ball, it's not like the Andre Reed days when going over the middle took something extra. Penalties for hits on "defenseless receivers" changed all that. Less skilled guys can play the slot , it would be a waste of Watkins route running to go over the middle often . 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Translation: "I'd like to keep playing for a winner but Imma go where my agent finds me more money"

It's always going to come down to money, unless things are about equal then it will be the team. Heck, he said he wanted to stay with the Bills- not exactly known for being a winning franchise- so it's always the case with any player. 

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Translation: "I'd like to keep playing for a winner but Imma go where my agent finds me more money"

Youre right imo, but I do think the more money is only coming from a place where they think he fills a need and compliments and offense an QB. 

He isn’t worth the dollars in a lot of situations. 

I could see Flacco getting some real production out of him (Torrey Smith like) 

ive not seen SF play enough to know their deep ball game but I guess Goodwin is working well, so must be something going there. 

Rodgers and Sammy might actually be the most fun to watch.  They really don’t have a nice deep threat, in my estimation, but at the same time buying high dollar free agents hasn’t been their thing. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they sign him to a deal it doesn’t matter. That is what they have to do in order to make this a decent trade for them. Comparing a late/comp 3rd in 2019 at the best (could end up being no comp pick) to a 2nd this year for one season of a semi-contributor - if they dont sign him - was the issue you raised

They have to break the bank for Aaron Donald. Period. They should try to get Sammy signed but they have to get out of that horrible Tavon austin  contract first. And it all depends what he wants to do - if he can get a guaranteed money deal from a cap flush team like the Browns or SF then he probably will despite saying he wants to stay. 

There are multiple issues regarding the trade. Sure it was one issue that I raised, which is a valid issue. There are multiple factors that ought be considered.  Consider the advantage the Rams get by having him play his final year of the contract with them. Complete control of his playing time. Maybe enough to keep him wanting to stay, but not enough to allow him to break the bank in his final year. Him being back with Woods. Etc. 

That said, I do think the Bills got the better end of the deal, but the Rams hardly got fleeced. 

Thanks Try Rod. You are a great guy and a great teammate! You did what you could and its not your fault that your skill set will not work in this league. Work hard in the off season on your accuracy, get back to being the mobile quarterback that earned you the cash that we gave you.

It just cannot be with the Bills anymore!

Cheers to Try Rod!

On 1/8/2018 at 7:31 AM, Magox said:

I think ideally for him, it would be best if he went to a team that has a QB that can throw (Goff can) but where he would also be the undisputed #1 choice (at least that he would perceive himself to be and to which he isn't with the Rams).

I don't think the Rams are a fit for him.  Clearly he didn't win over the confidence of Goff or he would have been targeted more, right?    If he were smart (which he isn't) money should be his secondary concern for 2018 and go to wherever he could get the most targets on a 1-2 year prove-it deal loaded with incentives.   Then look to get PAID in 2019 or 2020.

I'm not sure he's mentally got it in him to make it happen, but if he has extreme confidence in himself, that would be the best solution..

I'm sure he would also rather be the undisputed #1 choice instead of the 4th choice too lol

On 1/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

8 tds... But yea, that guy is terrible. 

I wish we had a decoy who caught 8 tds. 

Yes, is 39 catches & 8 TD's worth 2 first round picks & paying someone top 5 WR money? He's not even a top 20 WR, so hell no.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:01 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Players who reach or exceed expectations are pleasing. Or as Sammy would say, it would "be a pleasure" to see his play match his salary.

Or his place in the draft. 

We took Stevie Johnson in the 7th round, and he performed better for us than Sammy, who we spent two 1st rounders on -_-

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

~16 million for SW with the tag?  Seems like a lot given his production in that offense.

Because he's good, draws coverages and makes everything easier for other players on that offense.

but do the Rams know about offense?  Bitter Bills fans know more. Who needs 8 tds?  We had plenty of offense on Sunday! Let's laugh at the Rams (highest scoring offense) for spending money on that bum Sammy!!! Let's laugh at the Pats and stupid BElichick spending money on Gilmore!!! Bunch of morons!

• Haha (+1) 1

Rams GM Les Snead spoke to the media for 40 minutes today. Some takeaways: The situation with CB Trumaine Johnson is fascinating. Snead said he can "definitely" see a scenario where he's back, and so can I, especially with Kayvon Webster recovering from a torn Achilles and no real depth behind him. They'll have to pay him like a top corner. ... If anything has changed with Aaron Donald's situation, he isn't saying. But Donald can't hold out as long as he did last year because he would delay his free agency by a year. ... Snead credited WR/RB Tavon Austin with the way he handled a limited role. Snead wouldn't say it, but it's hard to see him coming back. ... Still expect S Lamarcus Joyner to get an extension and WR Sammy Watkins to get tagged. ... If you bring back Johnson, Joyner and Watkins, and you extend Donald, then you get to a point where you think the Rams may have to consider cutting ties with OLB Robert Quinn and/or ILB Mark Barron, because the savings is significant.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fgonzalez_alden.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropAlden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because he's good, draws coverages and makes everything easier for other players on that offense.

but do the Rams know about offense?  Bitter Bills fans know more. Who needs 8 tds?  We had plenty of offense on Sunday! Let's laugh at the Rams (highest scoring offense) for spending money on that bum Sammy!!! Let's laugh at the Pats and stupid BElichick spending money on Gilmore!!! Bunch of morons!

Can you tell us that one story you used to tell, you know the one where Sammy is on a parallel track with Julio Jones and that how any day/month/year now he's going to be just as good. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rams GM Les Snead spoke to the media for 40 minutes today. Some takeaways: The situation with CB Trumaine Johnson is fascinating. Snead said he can "definitely" see a scenario where he's back, and so can I, especially with Kayvon Webster recovering from a torn Achilles and no real depth behind him. They'll have to pay him like a top corner. ... If anything has changed with Aaron Donald's situation, he isn't saying. But Donald can't hold out as long as he did last year because he would delay his free agency by a year. ... Snead credited WR/RB Tavon Austin with the way he handled a limited role. Snead wouldn't say it, but it's hard to see him coming back. ... Still expect S Lamarcus Joyner to get an extension and WR Sammy Watkins to get tagged. ... If you bring back Johnson, Joyner and Watkins, and you extend Donald, then you get to a point where you think the Rams may have to consider cutting ties with OLB Robert Quinn and/or ILB Mark Barron, because the savings is significant.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fgonzalez_alden.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropAlden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

We could use both those players.   Hopefully they do tag Sammy, I would imagine they would have to get rid of at least one of those players.

Alden Gonzalez - ESPN

Why tagging Sammy Watkins makes sense for Rams

After what the Rams gave up for Sammy Watkins, they'd like to keep him for more than one season, but he does carry some question marks.

Whether it's a franchise tag or a transition tag, however, both sides would be better served with another year together. Watkins, still only 24, can rebuild value after combining for 1,023 yards in 23 games over the past two seasons. And the Rams will have another year with a major vertical threat who opens the middle of the field for Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, all while letting the younger Josh Reynolds and Mike Thomas develop.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The thread title is misleading. He isn't expected to be tagged, that's just the beat writer's opinion on what will happen. I would be surprised if they paid him $16 million next year.

The thread title doesn't say expected. 

• Thank you (+1) 1