Which Bills player deserves the most credit for ending the drought this season?

DC Greg

8 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

It's clearly the safeties Hyde and Poyer, and Hauschka.

The way this question reads, I'd argue it implies it has to be someone who upgraded their position from the last few seasons where the team wasn't in the playoffs, right?

1. It can't be Tyrod - regardless if you love him or hate him, I believe it's undeniable that statistically he's gotten worse each year.  He's slowly adjusting to the new offense, but it's definitely not suited to his skill set.

2. Shady might be the best player, but he was better last year than this season, and they didn't make the playoffs in 2016 so no.

3. KW is the guy we all love, but that's based on his attitude and his play in the past - he's clearly lost a step.

4. Is anyone arguing the OL got better this year?  

5. The DL has been pretty mediocre, not much pass rush, and no better against the run than they had been.

6. Tre White is an option, but were he and Gaines better than Gilmore and Darby?  Maybe.

Nope - the only positions where the team was clearly better than recent years past are SS, FS, and K.  I say the combination of the three of them is what pushed them over the top from 7-9 to 9-7 and a chance (that finally worked out) at the playoffs.

This is the worst team in the last 4 years. It shows how much luck is involved. 

6 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is the worst team in the last 4 years. It shows how much luck is involved. 

You aren't wrong about there being a good bit of luck, but I think the play of the safeties has helped the Bills make some of their own luck - 5 INTs each is pretty good.  And Hauschka >>> Carpenter with multiple long FGs in some big situations.  Remember Carpenter had developed the yips on XPs too.

Edited by BobChalmers

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

You aren't wrong about there being a good bit of luck, but I think the play of the safeties has helped the Bills make some of their own luck - 5 INTs each is pretty good.  And Hauschka >>> Carpenter with multiple long FGs in some big situations.  Remember Carpenter had developed the yips on XPs too.

I agree the safeties have really been great and Hauschka has been too. But Carpenter was amazing when he first got here. I just have a hard time giving credit for the drought ending to safeties and a kicker given we have had some talent at those positions and the general impact on a game I believe they've had. 

Whatever, the droughts over, if you wanna give credit to Hauschka, Poyer, and Hyde who am I to say otherwise.

if you removed one player from the team who would be the biggest loss ?

TT by far.....simply because of the importance of the position and the lack of quality behind him.

shady is our best player this season....but we hardly missed him when he was out.

I agree the secondary is  the best unit and biggest improvement over last year.

Edited by papazoid

TT

I'm sorry this board has ripped him for two years.  If he gets too much of the blame (Rex, the defense, and WR injuries ruined the 2016 season) then he should get too much of the credit.

Look at it from a Sabermetrics standpoint.  Is there any other position where the difference between starter and replacement is any greater.  TT to 5 pick Peterman????  There is nothing even close.  Even White or Gaines to Wright is not close to the drop off from TT to Peterman.  The WAR must be + 7 games for TT to Peterman.  

It is really McDermott that needs to get full credit for breaking the drought.  He brought a culture change to this organization and made this team believe in themselves.  They went through a crappy 3-game losing streak including a QB benching; but he swallowed his ego and brought the QB back and then went on a 4-2 run to close out the season.  He did not put the team in disarray or second-guess themselves at any time.   Even when we lost that game to Carolina with a finger-tip miss at the end of the game, he gave full credit to his team for staying there till the final whistle and to learn from the experience of losing a close game.  I think that made the players feel responsible and accountable for their actions.   As I wrote in another thread, the most important concept that he drilled into his team is what Pegula mentioned in his post-game Press Conference:  "Sean does NOT ask a player to do something that he himself cannot do".   There were NO ANTICS in that locker room.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Really tough question...about 4-5 guys come to mind:

Shady

Hyde

Poyer

Tre White

Hauschka

Honorable Mention:  Dawkins

All this (Shady is the “MVP” for me), and I’d give Tyrod’s Legs an assist - there were a number of times he made something out of nothing.  

Of course he often created that nothing by not pulling the trigger, but his escapability got us a lot of first downs this year...

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hauschka? Seriously, he was clutch in some close games this year. 

THAT.  w/o all of those 50+ FG's .....  toast 

MVP   -   Andy Dalton.  Over $170,000 raised by Bills Fans.  

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Poyer, Hyde and McCoy

These guys too.  

Feel free to use this -  The Three Amigo's  Poyer, Hyde and White!

The Solar Eclipse.   The God's have spoken!! 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1