Which Bills player deserves the most credit for ending the drought this season?

DC Greg

8 hours ago, DC Greg said:

If you had to pick one player who contributed the most THIS SEASON to our success in ending the drought, who would it be? My pick is Tre White.

If I was picking a unit, it’s the secondary without a doubt. Their play all season has been outstanding. It’s a tough call between Hyde, Poyer, and White for me, but I think it’s White. Tre has been played at an extremely high level every play this season. He’s all over the field, always in position, he’s a big play machine, and his positive attitude and leadership have been infectious with the rest of the team. With the quality of NFL QBs and wide receivers these days, corner is one of the most important positions on the field. It’s rare to see one as consistently good as White. I don’t think we’re in the playoffs without him.

Andy Dalton

Hauschka all day. 

He won us two games with long range bombers, in the same way our kicker last year lost us Seattle and Miami(2nd game) 

We are the same team as last year, just better kicking both punts and kickoffs.  Wish we had Gillislee and Watkins we could use those horses right now. 

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is the worst team in the last 4 years. It shows how much luck is involved. 

I'm surprised educated fans still resort back to the good luck/bad luck argument.  On any single play.....OK.   But over the course of a game and especially a season, that's just not true in a professional sport. 

Winning a close game thanks to a timely play at the end is not luck...otherwise the game wouldn't have been close in the first place. 

Kyle.

Watching Shady play, it's hard not to say he's the Bills most talented player.

But we didn't win because  of talent.  We won because of grit, determination, and teamwork.  I think Kyle added more of those qualities to the 2017 Bills than anyone else. 

His pre-game and halftime speeches - and personal example - tipped this team from just another middling squad to a playoff contender.  

Truly a team effort.  Shady's a good choice.  White as well.  Hauschka definitely came through in some clutch times.  For this team to face the adversity and rough patches (trading away the WR corps, key injuries, Dareus going to Jax amongst other things), they persevered and while some on this board don't care for Taylor, he was the consummate professional throughout the good times and the bad.  IMO, he showed great patience and poise (not just on the field) that became infectious to the rest of the team.  

Edited by Bills757

What no mention of Reid Ferguson? (JK) 

Hard to pick one just one. Seattle struggled with missed FGs this year by Blair Walsh and doesn't make the playoffs.
Hauschka made some big kicks this year but was in that position because of the rest of the team.

Does the process have a jersey?

Not to mimic a lot of other posters but when I look at this team, I don't see one indispensable member that is largely attributable to our wins and losses.  There were many cogs to this wheel, many players that were valuable to the success we had this past season.  I mean, Shady is our most talented member of our offense.  Tyrod was the leader of that offense.   Tre had a great year, the safeties were fantastic, Gaines was valuable.    Hughes was the only real disruptor of the defensive line.  Kyle was the heart and soul of the team.   It truly was a team effort.

Although we've had some great additions that have turned into big contributors, it's hard to say anybody other than Shady. Dude is unbelievable.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree the safeties have really been great and Hauschka has been too. But Carpenter was amazing when he first got here. I just have a hard time giving credit for the drought ending to safeties and a kicker given we have had some talent at those positions and the general impact on a game I believe they've had. 

Whatever, the droughts over, if you wanna give credit to Hauschka, Poyer, and Hyde who am I to say otherwise.

You gotta believe Seattle is missing Hauschka and kicking themselves (no pun intended) for letting him go. Blair Walsh missed a bunch of big kicks this year that have cost them games. Hauschka, on the other hand has been money. Hausch-money.

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hauschka? Seriously, he was clutch in some close games this year. 

If the question is interpreted as "which position improved most this year," Hauschka is a great answer.

If it's "who was the most valuable player," it's Tyrod, and it isn't particularly close. The Peterman game proved it.  Shady next. There's a good argument to be made for the secondary in general, but it's really hard to separate out the individual contributions of Hyde-Poyer-White-Gaines.

I think it was the secondary as a whole... cant narrow it down to one. We struggled last year. Lost our top two corners this off-season. We needed to replace both safety positions. We had to start 4 new guys this year and every single one of them were awesome. The best unit on this team by far. If I had to pick one it is Tre White. What a player he turned out to be... He is currently ranked as the best roomie in the class and we were able to pick up an extra 1st rounder for the future

I believe the two biggest improvements if we go by positional groups was Secondary and Special Teams. Safties and Kicker in particular. Even Schmidt seemed better this year and the CB play was better this year too. Hyde, Poyer and Hauschka were all obvious upgrades from last year.

Taylor should also get a nod simply because of the importance of the position. This was not a situation where the QB was dragging down the rest of the team. This isn't Blake Bortles with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Taylor's never been supported by a top 10 defense, heck, not even top half of the league. Defensive Ranks: 2015 20th, 2016 19th, 2017 26th. Taylor was not without blame for some games but if you look at the season as a whole Taylor was definitely a benefit.