Which Bills player deserves the most credit for ending the drought this season?

DC Greg

If you had to pick one player who contributed the most THIS SEASON to our success in ending the drought, who would it be? My pick is Tre White.

If I was picking a unit, it’s the secondary without a doubt. Their play all season has been outstanding. It’s a tough call between Hyde, Poyer, and White for me, but I think it’s White. Tre has been played at an extremely high level every play this season. He’s all over the field, always in position, he’s a big play machine, and his positive attitude and leadership have been infectious with the rest of the team. With the quality of NFL QBs and wide receivers these days, corner is one of the most important positions on the field. It’s rare to see one as consistently good as White. I don’t think we’re in the playoffs without him.

I'm not saying he's the best player on the team, but if I had to pick one player most responsible for getting the Bills into the playoffs I'd have to say Tyrod Taylor.  He touches the ball more than any other player, and the difference between when he's in the lineup and not in the lineup was in full display against the LA Chargers. He's the one player on the team where if he were injured for any length of time there's no chance the Bills would have gone to the playoffs this year.

Honorable mentions would be Hauschka, Kyle Williams, McCoy, & Gaines.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hauschka? Seriously, he was clutch in some close games this year. 

he was my first thought

28 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

If you had to pick one player who contributed the most THIS SEASON to our success in ending the drought, who would it be? My pick is Tre White.

If I was picking a unit, it’s the secondary without a doubt. Their play all season has been outstanding. It’s a tough call between Hyde, Poyer, and White for me, but I think it’s White. Tre has been played at an extremely high level every play this season. He’s all over the field, always in position, he’s a big play machine, and his positive attitude and leadership have been infectious with the rest of the team. With the quality of NFL QBs and wide receivers these days, corner is one of the most important positions on the field. It’s rare to see one as consistently good as White. I don’t think we’re in the playoffs without him.

I hate singling out individual players in team sports, so if I can say a group, the secondary. The starting 4 went from weak to one of the top groups in the league. Our corners were ok before, but we had nothing at safety. We have 4 above average, dynamic players now. We would be no where near the playoffs without them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, klos63 said:

he was my first thought

I hate singling out individual players in team sports, so if I can say a group, the secondary. The starting 4 went from weak to one of the top groups in the league. Our corners were ok before, but we had nothing at safety. We have 4 above average, dynamic players now. We would be no where near the playoffs without them.

Imagine this secondary with a decent pass rush on the D line.

• Like (+1) 1

Shady.  No question.  He’s out best player and our only threat on O

Honorable mentions:

Tre-  our best player not named shady and a cornerstone player.

Poyer-  this kid has been a revelation.  All around great play all season

Hyde-  he’s exactly what we wanted him to be.  Team leader with class

Kyle-  the heart and soul.  Love

Dion Dawkins-  backup rookie tackle replacing our highest paid non qb and didn’t miss a beat.

Deonte Thompson-  our best WR this season by a LONG shot.  Praying that we ink him up

Gaines-  when he doesn’t play, we are clearly not the same defense.

Zay Jones-  just wanted to see if you’re paying attention.  Sorry zay, had to do it. Step up

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Shady.  No question.  He’s out best player and our only threat on O

Honorable mentions:

Tre-  our best player not named shady and a cornerstone player.

Poyer-  this kid has been a revelation.  All around great play all season

Hyde-  he’s exactly what we wanted him to be.  Team leader with class

Kyle-  the heart and soul.  Love

Dion Dawkins-  backup rookie tackle replacing our highest paid non qb and didn’t miss a beat.

Deonte Thompson-  our best WR this season by a LONG shot.  Praying that we ink him up

Gaines-  when he doesn’t play, we are clearly not the same defense.

Zay Jones-  just wanted to see if you’re paying attention.  Sorry zay, had to do it. Step up

I love your list.  Dawkins is really an unsung hero on the line.  How many times has he gotten to the next level and destroyed someone.  I love watching him finish his block to the whistle, even 20 yards downfield.  He's got some nasty that I've never seen from Glenn.  Not knocking Glenn, just saying I like the kid.

• Like (+1) 1

It's clearly the safeties Hyde and Poyer, and Hauschka.

The way this question reads, I'd argue it implies it has to be someone who upgraded their position from the last few seasons where the team wasn't in the playoffs, right?

1. It can't be Tyrod - regardless if you love him or hate him, I believe it's undeniable that statistically he's gotten worse each year.  He's slowly adjusting to the new offense, but it's definitely not suited to his skill set.

2. Shady might be the best player, but he was better last year than this season, and they didn't make the playoffs in 2016 so no.

3. KW is the guy we all love, but that's based on his attitude and his play in the past - he's clearly lost a step.

4. Is anyone arguing the OL got better this year?  

5. The DL has been pretty mediocre, not much pass rush, and no better against the run than they had been.

6. The LBs are clearly worse than last season overall, though this season with Milano they are on an upswing, as oppsed to last year where Zach Brown started out very strong but faded over the season.  We all love the LorAx but he's clearly having a MUCH lesser season than 2016.

7. Tre White is an option, but were he and Gaines better than Gilmore and Darby?  Maybe.

Nope - the only positions where the team was clearly better than recent years past are SS, FS, and K.  I say the combination of the three of them is what pushed them over the top from 7-9 to 9-7 and a chance (that finally worked out) at the playoffs.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 4