Enough's enough - This team went 9-7......

47 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

We most certainly backed in. This team went 4-5 in their final 9 games including an ugly 3 game losing streak and 2 lopsided Pats losses in which the offense scored a combined 12 points.

Also we did not control our destiny in week 17 and was pure luck the Bengals converted a 4th and long and took it for a score against the Ravens.

But again, it really don't matter how we got to the playoffs. At least the drought is finally over and things finally went this team's way. And regardless what happens against the Jags this regime won't have that hanging over their heads even if they fail to get back to the playoffs next year.

LOL. You don't go back to a teams record over the past NINE games to determine if they backed in.  Backing in typically mean you lose your last game or two but get in because of other teams losing games they should have won. We won the games that mattered over the past several weeks and earned our way in.  Lots of teams needed certain scenarios to play out, like us needing the Ravens loss, but that doesn't mean it wasn't earned.

I think a thread from a few weeks ago said something like, "8-8 or 9-7 with this team is impressive" and I responded that I agreed. After all the changes and all the turnover, just about everyone was saying, "Yeah, they're focused on 2018, it's not about this year." And in that thread there were people saying 8-8 or 9-7 wouldn't be enough and that we should be embarrassed about such a record and McDermott should not only be fired but banned from coaching or even offering advice in any sport ever again. My response to them was, what would meet your expectations for this season? Especially with this roster. They have one legit star and the rest of the team is comprised of a few really good players, a handful of above-average players and then mostly average players after that. For them to make the playoffs with all the trades, that horrendous three-game skid, the questions surrounding the QB position, etc etc, it most certainly is impressive and gives me a lot of excitement heading into next season. I mean, they broke the streak with a team full of "effort" guys. I can't wait to see who they go after and add to this team in the off-season and see what they're capable of when they have better players plugged into positions of need.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the Ravens nearly lost that game against the Colts.

Say they tackle Tyler Boyd at the 10 on Sunday after that catch and with 3 shots (they'd have had to use one down to clock it) the Bengals fail to score a touchdown.  In that scenario the Ravens would have made the play offs by hanging on by their finger nails, at home, inside their 10 yard line consecutive weeks against teams whose final records would have been 10-22.  That sounds like it would have been "backing in" to the playoffs to me. 

NEWSFLASH - most wildcard teams "back in" to some degree.  But wildcard teams have gone the distance before.   I don't expect this Bills team to go the distance but to try and discredit their getting there because they were a wildcard at 9-7 is ridiculous in my opinion.  And the fact that we are not a great team and made it.... I can only see that as a positive.  This leadership has some kudos it has a plan and I'm very hopeful that as the roster improves so will our chances of making some noise in the post-season over the next few years.  And schedule wise.... we played the best division in football and the AFC West this year.  Next year we get the AFC South (maybe with a healthy Luck and Watson admittedly but let's see) and the NFC North (with a Vikings team that is bound to regress to the mean a bit, Detroit and Chicago rebuilding and the Packers at a crossroads). Then we will play the Ravens and Chargers in our other in conference games.  It's not an easy looking schedule but I fancy the match ups on it a little better than the gauntlet of Quarterbacks we played this year. 

this sums it up nicely gunner.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And yes the 18 year curse was lifted.  

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

I will return when Sammy signs and when a decision is made on Tyrod.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

There is always one person that just can't be happy

if you want to talk backing into a playoff spot, i remember the seahawks making the playoffs with a 7-9 record one year, and if i'm not mistaken, they won their first round game.  bills fans would have killed for that.  here we are, and apparently it's not quite good enough for some because we didn't dominate our way into the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Basically you are saying cut the waffle that is the rest of the post and just leave that sentence?  I got ya Teef ;)

oh no.  the rest of the post is the syrup and chocolate chips that help make up the delightful brunch we know as your work.

13 minutes ago, teef said:

oh no.  the rest of the post is the syrup and chocolate chips that help make up the delightful brunch we know as your work.

When I had brunch yesterday, I could barely see straight to read the menu.  18 years of partying on NYE made yesterday very difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the Ravens nearly lost that game against the Colts.

Say they tackle Tyler Boyd at the 10 on Sunday after that catch and with 3 shots (they'd have had to use one down to clock it) the Bengals fail to score a touchdown.  In that scenario the Ravens would have made the play offs by hanging on by their finger nails, at home, inside their 10 yard line consecutive weeks against teams whose final records would have been 10-22.  That sounds like it would have been "backing in" to the playoffs to me. 

BTW, the Ravens fans who are complaining about the phantom holding that scratched Weddle's INT are silent about the blatant PI that would have given Colts another 4 downs at the 10.

23 minutes ago, teef said:

if you want to talk backing into a playoff spot, i remember the seahawks making the playoffs with a 7-9 record one year, and if i'm not mistaken, they won their first round game.  bills fans would have killed for that.  here we are, and apparently it's not quite good enough for some because we didn't dominate our way into the playoffs.  

They beat the Saints.  I remember checking the score on my Blackberry whilst boarding a plane.  People were talking about it on the plane and the buzz was kind of like when Buster Douglas knocked out Tyson (not quite as loud of a buzz).

While I think this post is a bit premature, I get what the OP is trying to say. The goal should be, as always, sustained success. Lest we forget Dick Jauron won coach of the year. Marvin Lewis has taken the Bengals to the playoffs 7 times and is 0-7. And the list goes on. McDermott isn’t without faults. This wasn’t some amazing season and the Bills certainly have some problems from a talent stand point going forward. This is an older team, that will need an influx of young talent.

Saying all that, he’s got the wart off this franchise. It feels good. No more questions about the drought. This gives the Bills credibility, takes the pressure off players coming here. They aren’t responsible for ending the drought. 

There’s really no reason to piss anyone’s Cheerios at this point. No point in pounding your chest and saying who’s right. This is 17 years in the making, maybe just enjoy that for a bit and when the season ends, then we can talk about what’s gone wrong.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hey Savior...remember saying this?

Well, we beat the team that you said was a lock for the playoffs.  So why does it matter if it took both games to stopping them after on onside kick?

SaviorPeterman

• Veteran
  •  
  • SaviorPeterman
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

I still think Miami is a lock for a WC will finish 2nd to the Pats in the division which means they'll likely get the #5 seed.

So essentially the Bills will be competing with a handful of other teams for the final spot, likely the Jets, Raiders, Chargers and Titans/Jags. This is of course assuming the season don't go completely off the rails in the next few week and still think that's very probably given the upcoming schedule against teams on a whole other level compared to the Jets that easily beat this team.

You're right it doesn't, my point though is it's not like we beat a bunch of playoff teams down the stretch. Also I was right about the Bills struggling after the 5-2 start, they did finish 4-5 in their final 9.

Miami certainly disappointed this season after many experts (including myself) thought they were a SB contender. But goes to show that even in a down season, Gase had this team playing hard and both games against them could have easily went in Miami's favor with a little luck.

Look for Miami to bounce back strong next season and possibly win the division should Brady and the Pats ever falter.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They beat the Saints.  I remember checking the score on my Blackberry whilst boarding a plane.  People were talking about it on the plane and the buzz was kind of like when Buster Douglas knocked out Tyson (not quite as loud of a buzz).

Was that the game where Marshawn rediscovered his mojo?  I recall he was pedestrian for them during the season until that game

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Was that the game where Marshawn rediscovered his mojo?  I recall he was pedestrian for them during the season until that game

19 carries 131 yards 1 TD  Long - 67
Edited by Gugny

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

Why are you a fan?

Marrone and Rex had MUCH more talented rosters and of the 3 seasons you spoke of, 2 of the 3 ended up with worse records than this one... with MUCH less talented rosters.

Go be a Pats* fan

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

We most certainly backed in. This team went 4-5 in their final 9 games including an ugly 3 game losing streak and 2 lopsided Pats losses in which the offense scored a combined 12 points.

Also we did not control our destiny in week 17 and was pure luck the Bengals converted a 4th and long and took it for a score against the Ravens.

But again, it really don't matter how we got to the playoffs. At least the drought is finally over and things finally went this team's way. And regardless what happens against the Jags this regime won't have that hanging over their heads even if they fail to get back to the playoffs next year.

McD was playing 4d chess to purposely draw the game against the Jags.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

You're right it doesn't, my point though is it's not like we beat a bunch of playoff teams down the stretch. Also I was right about the Bills struggling after the 5-2 start, they did finish 4-5 in their final 9.

Miami certainly disappointed this season after many experts (including myself) thought they were a SB contender. But goes to show that even in a down season, Gase had this team playing hard and both games against them could have easily went in Miami's favor with a little luck.

Look for Miami to bounce back strong next season and possibly win the division should Brady and the Pats ever falter.

LOL....

Or you could say the won 4 of their last 6 but no....you won't say that LOL.  One of them was on the road against a playoff team.

Quit trolling with the MIA stuff...it's getting old and not funny if that's what you're going for.

Last comment by me on this thread...

Who did this team lose to?

Teams in Playoffs - Panthers (11-5), Saints (11-5), Patriots x2 (13-3)

Teams not in Playoffs - Bengals (7-9), Jets (5-11), Chargers (9-7)

4 of the 7 losses came to playoff teams.  We eked the Chargers out of contention - but they were on the cusp as well.

Who did this team beat?

Teams in Playoffs - Falcons (10-6), Chiefs (10-6), 

Teams not in Playoffs - Jets (5-11), Broncos (5-11), Buccaneers (5-11), Raiders (6-10), Colts (4-12), Miami x2 (6-10)

While we only had 2 wins against other playoff teams - we did beat 2 playoff teams already - both on the road.

This was no easy road to hoe.  So to finish 9-7 and make the playoffs is no small accomplishment and should not be ignored because it isn't a beauty queen.  Even the "patriots" are no beauty queen when it comes to perfection...

There IS a major difference between this team and the team of the last 3-4 years.

This team went 9-7 and has multiple extra picks in upcoming drafts and is in better cap shape than the last three years.

The Doug Whaley/Rex Ryan Bills went 9-7/8-8 and we're up against the cap and had wasted significant draft capital to get there.

12 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Why should we look for that?

Their returning starting QB isnt that great

They became good because Ajay got hot.......then traded him

Suh might be gone after this year

Oh.....and just a thought but the BUFFALO BILLS who traded away most of their blue chip players.....just beat them twice during the season......maybe just maybe it is the BILLS that everyone should be watching out for now

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

McD was playing 4d chess to purposely draw the game against the Jags.

I'm still not very high on McD, mostly because he doesn't seem very bright and has made a series of questionable coaching decisions in recent weeks (i.e. going back to TT as the starter, overtime punt against Indy, etc)

But hard not to embrace 'The Process' now after he got lucky with the Ravens losing and Bills making the playoffs. Hopefully it doesn't get to his head though because this matchup with St. Doug looms LARGE.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'm still not very high on McD, mostly because he doesn't seem very bright and has made a series of questionable coaching decisions in recent weeks (i.e. going back to TT as the starter, overtime punt against Indy, etc)

But hard not to embrace 'The Process' now after he got lucky with the Ravens losing and Bills making the playoffs. Hopefully it doesn't get to his head though because this matchup with St. Doug looms LARGE.

First bills head coach to have a winning record in his first year since 2010?

Coached a bills team that is lacking talent at several spots to its first playoff birth in 17 years

Yeah....he sucks

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL....

Or you could say the won 4 of their last 6 but no....you won't say that LOL.  One of them was on the road against a playoff team.

Quit trolling with the MIA stuff...it's getting old and not funny if that's what you're going for.

This team had several quality wins this season (@ ATL/KC), however both of those were offset but terrible losses against the Jets and Bengals (who ironically got us into the playoffs).

And yes even though the Dolphins had a down season this year they were still quality wins given the caliber of coaching and talent on Miami's roster. And speaking of the fish, hopefully McD and Beane are paying attention in terms of a playoff team with high expectations heading into the next season failing.

Just now, John from Hemet said:

Coached a bills team that is lacking talent at several spots to its first playoff birth in 17 years

Yeah....he sucks

he's upset because his sources have made him look very foolish on this board time and time again.  what can he possibly say at this point.  he's part of the, "save face crowd".  

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

Yeah....he sucks

I didn't say he sucks John, I'm just not giddy and in love with him just because we ended the drought. And had Ravens won I guarantee many fans heaping praise on him would be bashing him unrelentlessly right now.

Like I said, if anything Miami should serve as a cautionary tale for the Bills entering 2018. Because no matter what happens against the Jags a lot of Bills fans are no doubt going to have sky high expectations about next season. And it's next season in which we'll truly find out about 'The Process' and if it's for real.

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Flame away!!!!!

The AFC North was swept by the BEARS. Yes the BEARS. Bills are better than Ravens.

Choke on that.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This team had several quality wins this season (@ ATL/KC), however both of those were offset but terrible losses against the Jets and Bengals (who ironically got us into the playoffs).

And yes even though the Dolphins had a down season this year they were still quality wins given the caliber of coaching and talent on Miami's roster. And speaking of the fish, hopefully McD and Beane are paying attention in terms of a playoff team with high expectations heading into the next season failing.

And what lesson could McD and Beane learn from Miami exactly?

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If you want to disregard the 5-2 start and ignore 3 game losing streak and use the 4-2 logic sure, but who did the 4 wins come against?

Miami x 2 (and both games game down to stopping them after an onside kick, including last week against Dolphins 3rd string QB).

Indy (it took a reversed 2 point conversion and overtime to beat another horrible team)

KC (quality win for sure but they were in the midst of a 4 game losing streak when we beat them)

Bottom line though I'm not arguing the fact we made the playoffs, it's obviously a great thing. But take away what was essentially a hail mary pass by Andy Dalton and we having a much different conversation right now. But you can't say the BIlls earned this because it was out of their hands in week 17 even with the win against the Dolphins.

Yet you were all over Gase and Miami's jock all year talking about their awesome finish and 4d chess moves all year.  Miami's awesome finish last year included 49ers, Rams, Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Chargers, and a mediocre as usual Ravens team. Also Miami "backed in" because the 9-7 Titans lost to the Jags in week 17.  Titans  owned the head to head on Miami. 

Miami this year sucked.  We swept them period.  After all your Gase playing 4d chess and they went 9-2 last year blah blah blah crap.  Give the Bills the same credit punk fan. So stop being a hypocrite.

Edited by Scott7975

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

I didn't say he sucks John, I'm just not giddy and in love with him just because we ended the drought. And had Ravens won I guarantee many fans heaping praise on him would be bashing him unrelentlessly right now.

Like I said, if anything Miami should serve as a cautionary tale for the Bills entering 2018. Because no matter what happens against the Jags a lot of Bills fans are no doubt going to have sky high expectations about next season. And it's next season in which we'll truly find out about 'The Process' and if it's for real.

Kicking the can down the road a bit I see.....again what cautionary tale should the bills learn......dont put all your eggs in the QB basket?  Dont trade away the RB that actually got you to the playoffs?

Dude

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Boy you like contradicting yourself.

Previous post you were being negative on the Bills because it took us to the final minutes of the game to beat the Dolphins but now they are quality wins because of Miami's roster.

Dude, troll better HighfootballIQ.  What other usernames have you had?

Just now, John from Hemet said:

And what lesson could McD and Beane learn from Miami exactly?

I already explained this.......see 2016 Dolphins (playoff team) and 2017 Dolphins (non playoff team).

Still no guarantees the Bills won't be terrible next year with the pending roster turnover. And backing into the playoffs this year (while nobody is arguing isn't a great thing) certainly won't change McD and Beane's plans especially at QB and purging an aging defensive roster.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

So with that quote, since the Dolphins regressed this year after a playoff season and we apply your logic that's bolded....the Dolphins weren't for real.

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Why are you a fan?

Marrone and Rex had MUCH more talented rosters and of the 3 seasons you spoke of, 2 of the 3 ended up with worse records than this one... with MUCH less talented rosters.

Go be a Pats* fan

I.e. Dareus was a star in 2014-15 but not now?????  Gilmour, Darby, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin?????

Not trying to be an ass, just saying that this team is/was not terrible and as a fan expect them to improve annually and going from .500 to 9-7 is 1 win.......  

Yes I'm a fan, but still not 100% sure about the coaching staff......

As stated, I thought they were a playoff team in preseason, defended Tyrod and really got upset at the preseason trades and the FO/coaching staff pretending we were such a bad team.

Will be interesting in the offseason if they try and push forward with Peterman as the starter and TBD's buy in tp that scenario...... 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Boy you like contradicting yourself.

Previous post you were being negative on the Bills because it took us to the final minutes of the game to beat the Dolphins but now they are quality wins because of Miami's roster.

Dude, troll better HighfootballIQ.  What other usernames have you had?

No contradictions, Dolphins were a losing team this season (albeit a very talented one with the best HC in the division after Belichik IMO).

But again, some of you are acting like the Bills ran the gauntlet of playoff teams this season and beat them and also earned a birth in the tourney without help, neither is true.

Can't we all just be happy the season isn't over regardless of the less than ideal circumstances of how the Bills got in to the postseason?

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

I already explained this.......see 2016 Dolphins (playoff team) and 2017 Dolphins (non playoff team).

Still no guarantees the Bills won't be terrible next year with the pending roster turnover. And backing into the playoffs this year (while nobody is arguing isn't a great thing) certainly won't change McD and Beane's plans especially at QB and purging an aging defensive roster.

I am sincerely trying to understand your logic....which might be a mistake on my part.

There are NO guarantee's EVER in the NFL if you do not have a top 5 NFL QB.......mistakes by Beane and McDermott......does that include the trade down for Tre White and the additional 1st round pick?   Does that include getting rid of high paid malcontents on the roster?    What mistakes do you see them accidentally making?

22 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I look for Miami to be 6-10 again and Gase to be fired next January. He is a terrible Head Coach. His team plays like Rex's Bills... so many simple, sloppy, unneccessary pre snap penalties again yesterday. Two of which came straight after plays where the Bills Offense lost yardage and they handed the yardage right back to them. I think he is absolutely hopeless as a head man. The only surviving Head Coach I'd have him over is his mate Vance Joseph who will also be fired next January... oh and possibly Koetter.