Enough's enough - This team went 9-7......

And yes the 18 year curse was lifted.  

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

I will return when Sammy signs and when a decision is made on Tyrod.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah McD is garbage. Took this team loaded with all pro talent and they only got 9 wins. 

An embarrasment to the city of Buffalo. That **** might fly in Cleveland, but here in Buffalo, a paltry 9 win season is just unacceptable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for sharing that with us.  No one is anointing this coaching staff as "alltime great" & everybody here I am pretty sure knows this teams shortcomings.  Noone is predicting them to go to the super bowl.  Could we just have a week to enjoy ourselves & enjoy wildcard weekend, with the Bills in it without a pompous know it all like yourself telling us Bills nation should not get excited.  It must be miserable looking at the glass half empty all the time. 

• Like (+1) 5

The team is in the playoffs after some bold FO, coaching and ownership moves:

FO: Moved players out who did not fit scheme and team culture in return for draft picks and other players who have contributed.

Coaching: The most impressive moves to me are taking the back end of a defense that included a bunch of previous no names and me them into the strength of the D (if not the team)

FO: moved on from Rex and Whaley - not that long ago this franchise was considered a dumpster fire - not to mention - on a personal level was it not fun watching Kim Pegula being a fan during the Miami game?  It’s nice to have ownership that truly cares about the franchise, the fans and the region - enough said

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yes, 9-7 is not an earth-shattering won-loss record.

However, this is a turning point for the city and the general perception of the franchise as a cursed afterthought.

The truth is the Bills haven't actually been bad since Gailey's last year. They were bad for about twelve years and they have actually been right in the middle of the league for the last five years. They are 33-31 since 2014, which again, is not earth shattering but it is also not bad, and not in keeping with the national perspective on the team.

That record is better than (for example)

Ravens 

Chargers

Titans

Raiders

Dolphins

as well as the franchises that have been truly bad like the Jets, Browns, Jaguars.

• Like (+1) 2

You mention how the other teams had a chance to win in 6 games with the ball at the end.  The defense stepped up and made stops, he's a defensive coach haha.  Props to him.  Those games wouldn't have been so close if we had a QB that was more comfortable with throwing the ball into tight coverage down the field. 

They seem to know what talent fits what they want to do.  Look at how productive Poyer, White, Milano, Dawkins, Hyde, Johnson at times, Gaines, and Benjamin when Tyrod actually threw it to him was.  I'm gonna trust them.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 1

If it was so easy, why didn’t it happen in the past 17 years?  

If it’s luck this year that 9-7 made it, were we always just really that unlucky?  Is luck the deciding factor?

Yes, we were 9-7, but we were a better 9-7 than two other teams.  We won games we normally lost. 

I’m sorry, but I’m not buying what you’re selling. This was a special season and we saw glimpses of it at times.  We aren’t great...yet. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This staff and their program has earned the full 5 years to right this ship.

The Bills are not full of talent. They got rid of a good amount of it, actually. They were tested and passed. McDermott has this team rumbling into the playoffs with a winner's mentality.

The fans need to adopt that mentality, as well.

• Like (+1) 1

This post is missing a huge factor and that’s the fact that this team won the games down the stretch that it needed to in order to get in. Ryan’s teams IMPLODED. 

5-5 and it looked like it was all headed south. Mcdermott rallied the Troops and they then went INTO arrowhead for a win, conquered the snow game at long odds and then swept the fins. 

Ryans teams weren’t made up of that sort of “MAN STUFF” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1