Gaines and Hughes - PFF standout performers

Magox

Big shout out to Gaines and Hughes this past week as they were 2 of the top defensive players according to their rankings this weekend.

EDGE Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills, 95.0 overall grade

The Buffalo Bills sealed a dramatic return to the postseason on Sunday, and edge defender Jerry Hughes was disruptive as a pass-rusher, despite not registering a sack. From 32 pass-rushing attempts, Hughes racked up seven hurries, good for a 16.4 pass-rushing productivity rating.

Jerry-Hughes.jpg

CB E.J. Gaines, Buffalo Bills, 92.0 overall grade

Despite being targeted six times in coverage, Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines had an impressive day in coverage. Allowing just four receptions for 16 yards, on 48 snaps in coverage, he finished the day having allowed just 0.33 yards per coverage snap.

Even though Hughes missed a couple sacks he was constantly getting pressure and in the backfield of the Dolphins.  This is the Hughes we need to see more often.

Gaines, another fantastic performance.  Hopefully we sign him for a multi year contract, it would be nice to have our top 4 DB's in place for the next 4 years.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3

Jerry was all over the place this week. Bringing pressure almost every time, flying around and making tackles downfield. Love that guy. He would sure benefit from another premier edge rusher on the other side again, but he is still doing a great job of collapsing he pocket and not letting QBs get comfortable even though the sacks have dwindled.

31 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just think we got Gaines AND a pick for Samantha Watkins

The teeth gnashing over that trade reached apoplectic levels.  Turns out that we ended up making out big on that trade.   

We received a more valuable player for us in Gaines than Sammy was for the Rams, a second rounder and probably some cap savings to boot.

3 hours ago, DC Greg said:

Jerry was all over the place this week. Bringing pressure almost every time, flying around and making tackles downfield. Love that guy. He would sure benefit from another premier edge rusher on the other side again, but he is still doing a great job of collapsing he pocket and not letting QBs get comfortable even though the sacks have dwindled.

I think Lawson will be back better next year and will provide a good pass rush.  The main concern is the ability to rush from the middle. We lost it when Dareus stopped playing for the BIlls.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think Lawson will be back better next year and will provide a good pass rush.  The main concern is the ability to rush from the middle. We lost it when Dareus stopped playing for the BIlls.

True, though Dareus wasn't generating much pressure before we left. A lot of that is due to the fact that McD/Frazier don't blitz very often. It was easy to have him double teamed on any given pass play. It would be good to have a monster NT that can generate pressure, but a good linebacker who can blitz up the middle (if we ever called it) could also accomplish that.

Hughes has had a very good but very quiet season.  He is a better player than what his stats reflect.

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Lawson is known for run setting not pass rushing.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I thought Hughes had a good game besides the fact that he couldn't wrap up the QB.  He went for the football twice instead of wrapping up the QB.  Gaines was doing his thing again

Exactly! 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hughes has had a very good but very quiet season.  He is a better player than what his stats reflect.

Agreed. The big sack numbers aren't there, but he is always collapsing the pocket from his side. That still squeezes the quarterback and can force rushed, inaccurate throws or flush him. I think the lack of another top pass rusher on the other side has enabled teams to send the RB help Jerry's way more often than not, which is partially a reason for the drop off in sacks. They used to send the RB to Mario all the time and left Jerry 1:1 when he had his biggest years.

Also, Frazier doesn't blitz much or run a lot of stunts with the DEs. I notice Kyle stunting a lot on the inside, but you don't see Jerry coming all the way around into the A/B gaps. I remember seeing that a lot more in the past. It may not be great with current personal, as Dareus was fast enough to stunt to the outside and replace Hughes when he was here. Maybe they don't feel great about our current DTs getting around in time to have contain on those type of stunts.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Despite that, he was leading the team in sacks before his injury. He can get you 6-8 sacks/year. Hughes needed to be the double digit sacker.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Lawson would be better served getting up to 295 lbs  and playing DT. We need to sign Gaines.

13 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

They need to keep the secondary intact......and add a cover linebacker, a DT that can actually stop the run and push the pocket, and a pass rusher to bookend with Jerry......

We had that DT. Unfortunately, he turned out to be an undisciplined immensely talented player who wore out his welcome with the new staff at OBD. 

13 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

They need to keep the secondary intact......and add a cover linebacker, a DT that can actually stop the run and push the pocket, and a pass rusher to bookend with Jerry......

Agreed, but we need to resign Gaines AND acquire another color corner for the slot.  Johnson, also a FA played ok at times and but picked on often as well.  

16 hours ago, Magox said:

Big shout out to Gaines and Hughes this past week as they were 2 of the top defensive players according to their rankings this weekend.

Even though Hughes missed a couple sacks he was constantly getting pressure and in the backfield of the Dolphins.  This is the Hughes we need to see more often.

Gaines, another fantastic performance.  Hopefully we sign him for a multi year contract, it would be nice to have our top 4 DB's in place for the next 4 years.

Ya they can’t let Gaines walk. He’s such a difference maker when healthy 

51 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya they can’t let Gaines walk. He’s such a difference maker when healthy 

When healthy is the key.  Can't pay him mad money and have him miss a third of the season again.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

When healthy is the key.  Can't pay him mad money and have him miss a third of the season again.

I think you can risk around $8m a year for a proven player such as Gaines.  Now risking $13m+ for an inconsistent yet highly talented WR is a different matter.

That trade from Beane was a big time for the Bills.  What a trade!

15 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think you can risk around $8m a year for a proven player such as Gaines.  Now risking $13m+ for an inconsistent yet highly talented WR is a different matter.

That trade from Beane was a big time for the Bills.  What a trade!

I'd love to keep him.  Even if injuries are a concern.  I just hope he doesn't want a ton of money. 

And yes, what a trade.  An excellent CB plus a 2nd rounder.

I think Gaines is going to be get a big payday from somebody in the offseason regardless of his injury issues with us this year.

And that's why I don't think we resign him because another team will be stupid enough to throw big money his way and disregard the time he missed this year.