A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game

Virgil

Every time I write one of these, I try to give myself some time to process the game and my feelings about it so that I can hopefully write something objective.  Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail.  Today was an interesting day as I woke up sick.  I didn't have my normal Week 17 dread, knowing that another season was about to come to an end.  I didn't feel optimistic either.  I really can't describe it other than faint hope.  I did some cleaning and tempered the time until 4:25pm when the roller coaster emotion ride began.  With that....

1 - Tolbert - On a day where we all need to find forgiveness and appreciate what we saw this season, I need to start with Tolbert.  At the beginning of the game, I was quickly taking notes asking why this guy is on the field.  Why we were throwing passes to him in the flats and why won't we ever learn that he can't do the job.  But when Shady went out, Tolbert stepped up.  I was pleasantly surprised with how he handled the back-up role today.  Because no matter what I think about his signing, performance, or anything else, he was still a piece in the final puzzle.  

2 - Poyer - Did we just become best friends?  Yup!.  Three weeks in a row this kid has pulled in an INT and twice to seal the games against the Dolphins.  Even better, he got into Landry's head and finally won the battle we wanted since the Aaron Williams incident.  Poyer does a great job of being in the right place at the right time and has come up clutch for us.  His interceptions, in combination with Hyde, are the most by a Safety duo in the NFL.  Just amazing pick up's and another piece in the puzzle.

3 - Mills - I've been very critical of Mills this year and last.  However, I haven't called out his name as much in recent weeks.  As I watched this game, I payed attention to his matchup with Wake.  He was left to handle Wake 1 on 1 for most of the game.  Besides 1 sack, Mills did a pretty good job against the man who terrorized him twice last year.  I may go as far as to say that maybe he's growing into a serviceable RT.  Like Tolbert, I have to give credit here to the piece that led us to the final puzzle.

4 - Then, one day, I was not alone
Everything had changed, everything was strange

5 - Kyle Williams  - I don't even know what to say about his Touchdown.  To see how excited he was to perform the touchdown celebration, how the sidelines erupted, how you could just feel the emotion of the moment.  Then, within 30 seconds, the Bengals scored on a Pick 6.  That was the first moment I felt that maybe it was all possible.  It was a feeling I hadn't had in 17 years (back to that later).  I read how Kyle gave the pre-game speech this week and last and how the players just rally to him.  Kyle was the biggest, most central piece to this puzzle.

6 -  Pass Rush - With a inexperience quarterback playing for the Dolphins and their starting LT out, I was really hoping to see Jerry Hughes step up and the Frazier dial up some more blitzes.  On the Humber sack, he tore through the line like butter.  Unfortunately, that was about it for the pass rush.  I just can't understand why we give these QB's all day to pass.  When we did get in his face, the throws were off and errant.  I understand that coverage is key, but we need to generate more of a pass rush going forward or we will continue to get carved up by the greats.

7 - Gaines - This guy is going to kill me this offseason.  We are such a different team with him on the field.  He almost had two INT's today and made some great plays.  If we could stay healthy, I would lock him up to a big contract.  Hopefully, he takes a "prove it" deal or something incentive based.  He's just to injury prone to get the long term money, but there's no denying that we are perform a whole lot better when he's out there.

8 - Tyrod - Another game, another typical Tyrod performance.  Off on his first drive, even though he did score a passing TD, Tyrod was very sharp and poised for the rest of the first half.  He made some tight throws, waited for plays to develop, and looked well on his way to a 300 yard game.  Then the second half kicked in as did our normal struggles.  Only throwing for 50+ yards in the second half, the offense was as anemic as it's been during the second half of our recent games.  I'm not sure what the issue is and I'm starting to wonder if it's part of the play calling in our bend, but don't break system.  The dolphins defensive line was spread out and left the center of the field open, but TT never took advantage of it.  He took a few sacks, but mostly had time to throw.  

End of the day, love him or hate him, he's officially a playoff quarterback now and we aren't in this without him.  He's flawed, makes great plays, and misses others.  But he's our quarterback and he's another piece of the puzzle.

9 - McDermott - When you are the boss, every decision you make is scrutinized.  When he went for 2 today, I didn't get it.  When he punted in OT against the Colts, I was angry.  When he started Peterman against the Chargers, there was a huge debate.  Here's the thing, it doesn't matter.  He did what no one else in the past 17 years before him couldn't and he did it in his first year.  McDermott, I hope you bought your house here because you aren't going anywhere.  We can attack his play to not lose style and all the roster moves, but in the end, he was right.

10 - Bengals Game - When the Ravens went up by 14 after the pick 6 and we were up by 19, I started to feel it.  It was hard to let it out because we are Bills fans and we know how this goes.  Everything that can go against us will happen.  In that Ravens game, there was a the 4th and 3 where the Ravens were stopped, but the HB reversed field and scored a TD.  There was a Ravens catch and fumble that got called incomplete and wasn't challenged.  There was the Ravens taking the lead with 3 minutes left and the 4th and 12 play where you could just feel it all coming crashing down.  This, was after the Dolphins recovered an onside kick and could win outright against us.  This is where we lose.  This is where 17 becomes 18.  This is where we are the Bills.

But Poyer makes the INT.  Dalton hits the 4th and 12 for a Touchdown.  Flacco comes up short on 4th down.  Even with the Preston TD called back, the onside kick, the 4th and 3 TD, the non-Ravens Fumble....the Bills won and the Ravens lost.  17 years and in.  

I'll be honest, I screamed.  I had tears in my eyes.  I didn't know what to do with myself.  I just sat on my couch for over an hour and watched the NFL network, listened to WGR on the app, and watched all of you celebrate on here.  I just had to take it in.  It's been 17 years of misery and feeling like the biggest joke as a fan of a franchise.  For it to finally be over and to have it be with this team when we were supposed to be rebuilding, when TT got benched, when we got rid of Dareus, Sammy, Darby....

Thank you McDermott.  Thank you Pegula's.  Thank you TT, and Tolbert, and Shady, and Kyle.  Thank you to SDS and everyone here for building everything up to this moment.  Thank you to BillFromNYC for letting me take over this tradition in reviewing the games.  Thank you to everyone else who brings their unique perspectives and opinions to the board.  Agree or not, we are all in this together and suffered a lot together.  We all won today.  Other teams make the playoffs on a yearly basis and this is just another drop in the bucket for them.  But this is more to us. This means something and we all endured it together.

Someone said it best earlier when they asked "Can you hug through the internet?"  

Let's find out.

Let's go Buffalo

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Good post Virgil, as always.

To your point about the pass rush.  Especially tonight, Hughes was not the problem, at least not entirely.  Not to kick Kyle, but our problem with the pass rush has been the interior almost all season.  Our DT's simply do not penetrate or even push back their matchups on longer drop backs.  Hughes has 3 or 4 pressures by my estimation, but every single time, Fales was able to step up into the pocket and sometimes escape past the LT.  Hughes is a speed rusher, and he leaves that lane open, unless the DT on his side cuts it off.  Without interior pressure, you'll continue to see those near-sacks like we did tonight.

A DT who can penetrate or drive the OL back is a major need on this team.  Possibly the biggest need.  With our secondary, that would turn our above average unit into a really good unit.  But we got picks for days because of the #process.  So let's go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Good post Virgil, as always.

To your point about the pass rush.  Especially tonight, Hughes was not the problem, at least not entirely.  Not to kick Kyle, but our problem with the pass rush has been the interior almost all season.  Our DT's simply do not penetrate or even push back their matchups on longer drop backs.  Hughes has 3 or 4 pressures by my estimation, but every single time, Fales was able to step up into the pocket and sometimes escape past the LT.  Hughes is a speed rusher, and he leaves that lane open, unless the DT on his side cuts it off.  Without interior pressure, you'll continue to see those near-sacks like we did tonight.

A DT who can penetrate or drive the OL back is a major need on this team.  Possibly the biggest need.  With our secondary, that would turn our above average unit into a really good unit.  But we got picks for days because of the #process.  So let's go.

You’re not wrong.  But I’m not speaking ill of the man right now ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just what does anyone think about the punt with 22 seconds in first half in Dolphins

territory on 4th down. It seems every time we are up in the lst half, the play calling takes the foot

off the pedal with either disastrous or near disastrous results.

And finally, have we found a RB from the practice squad? Anybody know anything about him.

This team certainly has more mental toughness than any Bills team in a while. That’s a big reason why they squeezed into the post season. They come back after some things go against them, even late in games.

Edited by vincec

Great post Virgil, your best recap yet.

The thing about McDermott is when he plays not to lose, we actually don't lose. I don't think you can point to one game where his coaching style cost us a win. That's a big difference from other Bills coaches. McDermott put us in position to win so I can't fault him for a few mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Great post Virgil, your best recap yet.

The thing about McDermott is when he plays not to lose, we actually don't lose. I don't think you can point to one game where his coaching style cost us a win. That's a big difference from other Bills coaches. McDermott put us in position to win so I can't fault him for a few mistakes.

Thank you.  Probably took me the longest to write of them all. 

Just so many examples this season. Where the ball normally bounces the other way. 

..GREAT job as usual Virgil......Tolbert did step up but so did the Murphy kid fresh off the PS and contributing 41 yards, earning special kudos......damn Bills have to make it interesting down the stretch, flubbing the onside kick and watching them potentially frittering it away......yet somehow the stars aligned with Poyer & Dalton......TT did his job and I loved the O'Leary TD with Grandpa Jack cheering in the stands......"Fridge" Williams' TD could not go to a more deserving guy.......great trivia question down the road: who scored the winning TD when Buffalo broke their 17 year playoff schneid.......although McD drives me nuts with Jauron like "play not to lose ball", hats off to him, Beane, the Pegulas and the entire staff for perseverance and finally ditching the anvil in Lake Erie......

• Thank you (+1) 1

@Virgil, as always well written and brought me back to the game! As far as TT goes I want him gone more than anything but now is not the time to rehash that. LETS GO TT AND LETS GO BUFFALO!!!  Happy New year my friend! Go Bills. One question though.....Is your Avatar your HS picture?

• Thank you (+1) 1

DLine will no doubt get addressed in the offseason since the pass rush is basically missing.  Need a DT or two and another DE.  That unit needs to be beefed up and, IMO, we're lucky to be where we are with them.

Hughes is fast and can get around the opposing OT, but he has had several whiffs on sacks.  I realize I may be asking a lot given the surrounding cast, but Hughes is the best DE we have, he needs to wrap up the tackles/sacks.

- At the moment when the Fins recovered the onside kick, my first thought was that we would lose, and my second thought was it wouldn't even matter since the Bengals were going to lose.  On this day the double BBFS ended up cancelling in the karmic universe - what an unbelievable day

- The Bengals game honestly was affecting my (physical and mental) health in a negative way.  That return at the end of the half, the 4th and 3 - it was almost too much to take.  All I could think in panic as Boyd turned for the end zone and time slowed down and the Ravens player swiped at him was "OMG he's going to fumble the ball out of the end zone!".  Then of course "44 seconds and 3 time outs is too much time!"  OK - maybe there was still more BBFS

- Was surprised that KW's TD was not on most of the highlight packages I've seen.  Will forever be a memorable moment in Bills history.  The KW goal line package should be used every tie we are down at the goal line

- Can Bills hire a ST consultant to teach them how to cover an onside kick

- Aside from how Baltimore feels, how about SD.  They fought back so hard from 0-4 only to barely miss out.  Brutal

- BTW, saw this AM that Eric Weddle also lost out on 1 million dollar bonus if Balt made the playoffs.  Can you imagine how he feels

- For me, I'm not scared of Jax.  Manage to get a few scores, and make Bortles beat you.  Nate Hackett is the OC for Christ sake.  How unbelievable to get a shot at Marrone, and then potentially the evil empire after that?

- Screw draft position.  Making playoffs is part of winning and culture change - and anything can happen once you are in.  Building a playoff team can also have payoff in retaining players and signing FAs as well

- Such an amazing feeling this AM.  We all deserve this

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2

....just curious folks.....seems to me this defense was bi-polar, never knowing which one was going to show up.......the brick wall or Wikileaks......it was the same under Pettine....some pretty sloppy tackling yesterday made me nervous as hell...is Frazier the right guy for DC in 2018 or did he do a good job with the personnel he had to work with and looking for improved personnel next year with him staying?............

19 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

DLine will no doubt get addressed in the offseason since the pass rush is basically missing.  Need a DT or two and another DE.  That unit needs to be beefed up and, IMO, we're lucky to be where we are with them.

Hughes is fast and can get around the opposing OT, but he has had several whiffs on sacks.  I realize I may be asking a lot given the surrounding cast, but Hughes is the best DE we have, he needs to wrap up the tackles/sacks.

Good observation on Hughes not being able to wrap up.  It's almost like he's playing with a cast on his hand or he lacks thumbs.  Can't grab onto anything.  Not like Fales is ever gonna be mistaken for Roethlisbeger in terms of size.  

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....just curious folks.....seems to me this defense was bi-polar, never knowing which one was going to show up.......the brick wall or Wikileaks......it was the same under Pettine....some pretty sloppy tackling yesterday made me nervous as hell...is Frazier the right guy for DC in 2018 or did he do a good job with the personnel he had to work with and looking for improved personnel next year with him staying?............

I think the defense has really outperformed given the personnel they had to work with.  There will be needed retooling this offseason, so I'm fine with not making any coaching changes on the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Our defense was responsible for most of the wins, and when the D played poorly, it was lousy tackling, not so much the scheme, so I'd be hard pressed to dump the DC at this point. We know we need to replace Dareus and a couple of LBs, and get some depth in the secondary. Let's see what Frazier can do with better talent.

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Our defense was responsible for most of the wins, and when the D played poorly, it was lousy tackling, not so much the scheme, so I'd be hard pressed to dump the DC at this point. We know we need to replace Dareus and a couple of LBs, and get some depth in the secondary. Let's see what Frazier can do with better talent.

....appreciate your perspective......I remember way back when McD hired Frazier and the "pundits" here labeled him as a "glorified DB Coach"......tough crowd.........

Nice writeup. Hopefully we can get one more good-feeing wrap-up post from you after next week. 

Re: McDermott - We may not all agree with all of his decisions, but he has done something really special with this club and that is building a TEAM. In all my years of watching NFL football, I have never seen a bunch celebrate the achievements of their teammates like this club does. They are disciplined and play selfless football. With all the players they let go and all the new players who came in, that is not an easy thing to do. It was such a contrast compared to watching the fins yesterday. I hope this ride can continue one more week! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....appreciate your perspective......I remember way back when McD hired Frazier and the "pundits" here labeled him as a "glorified DB Coach"......tough crowd.........

Yeah, a 17 year playoff drought will do that to fans. What some people call a cynic is what others call a realist.

20 minutes ago, Big C said:

Good writeup. Just want to point out that Mills allowed a couple sacks and then got hurt. It was actually Henderson that came in and played well. 

Unless I totally missed him come back into the game.

He did. I mentioned the sack he gave up.  But considering they didn’t give him any support and that was all he gave up....

He’s come a long way 

43 minutes ago, Big C said:

Good writeup. Just want to point out that Mills allowed a couple sacks and then got hurt. It was actually Henderson that came in and played well. 

Unless I totally missed him come back into the game.

Yes sir. Mills did come back I am almost certain

Great comments as usual Virgil.  I always look to your review, and your spot on.  This team has something special, and you can really see the difference some great coaching makes.

Its a great day today to be a Bills fan, and even my NE buddies are rooting for a Bills win next week-because it will be the best game all season to watch if they face each other again.    I would be completely pumped for a rematch of last week where maybe the Refs wont determine the game!

Go BIlls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Great comments as usual Virgil.  I always look to your review, and your spot on.  This team has something special, and you can really see the difference some great coaching makes.

Its a great day today to be a Bills fan, and even my NE buddies are rooting for a Bills win next week-because it will be the best game all season to watch if they face each other again.    I would be completely pumped for a rematch of last week where maybe the Refs wont determine the game!

Go BIlls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say I was looking forward to that matchup.  

But it there’s something to be said for meeting the same team 3 times in 5 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great review Virgil...there is something special about this one for sure.  

I still can't believe it all came together and we got the bounces we needed in the final minutes...

This does feel like something more for sure...its been a long haul.  Cheers and a hug bro!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't read any other threads postgame until i see yours(and previously John In NYC.  This weekend i was traveling and didn't find yours as i was mostly on mobile.  Got into work this morning, paged around until i found it.  Well worth the wait and you summed it up perfectly.  Now I can read other threads to see what developments have happened.  GO BILLS!!!!!!

Edited by The Poojer