Sammy who?

SJDK

24 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The Bills havent prioritized DB and RB in the top rounds lately. And the when they chose Tre White, you have to admit it was a great choice

As for missing the playoffs, yes QB is one of the top reasons but also coaching. In last few years, Marrone chose the wrong OC, Pegulas chose the wrong HC in Ryan and his circus. 

Plenty of blame to go around. McBeane also havent made great personnel decisions this year (Sammy, Matthews) but the net results are yet to be seen. 

Oh, White is a very good player. I think that he is already superior to Gilmore, but imo he was a poor choice. We traded our pick and we could have instead drafted Deshaun Watson. Then, we made how many other moves in the secondary? This was his obvious priority.

This rings of Jauron ball to me. There are things to like about McDermott, but my fear is that he is a play "not to lose" type of coach. It doesn't work. Never has and never will.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think if the Rams didn't have Sammy, they are a much different team.  Sammy is their one deep threat and opens things up for Gurley. He draws the #1 cb and allows Woods and Kupp easier matchup underneath.  His impact goes beyond numbers and would have had a big impact on our offense as well.  Julio Jones doesn't get 150 yards every game but makes an impact just being on the field.

Dareus was the cherry on top for the Jags.  Our run defense has sucked since we traded him.  If they really wanted to win now, you keep MD. A 6th rounder would have been there after the season.  And The Eagles were good without Darby but he will be more important now without Wentz.

of all the moves, I'm fine with Darby because we did a good job replacing him.  But if we miss the playoffs, our passing attack and run defense would be major reasons why.  And we had 2 good players that we got rid of it.  That would be tough to shallow.

I agree with your points about Sammy and MD being the difference makers with making the playoffs.  With them, we would be in.  I don't think coach had the goal of making the playoffs this year, despite giving lip service to it to the vets.  I believe he believed that we would take 1 step back this year to get 2 steps next year.  Now, this is very questionable.  He should've manned up and stayed with NP to see if he could be the answer.  Now, we still don't know, we may miss playoffs, and may miss getting a franchise QB in draft.  Go Bills!!!

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Oh, White is a very good player. I think that he is already superior to Gilmore, but imo he was a poor choice. We traded our pick and we could have instead drafted Deshaun Watson. Then, we made how many other moves in the secondary? This was his obvious priority.

This rings of Jauron ball to me. There are things to like about McDermott, but my fear is that he is a play "not to lose" type of coach. It doesn't work. Never has and never will.

Very good points all around

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

You see I didn't say I was willing to pay him the big bucks just like I wasn't willing to pay Sammy what surely would have been big bucks.  I said a decent contract with an injury clause (playing time incentives).  I'd rather have potentially two starters than a bloated contract for a receiver that had trouble staying on the field here and was disgruntled.

Gaines isn't staying here with an incentive based deal.

"Potentially two starters" like who?  You realize we already had to trade for KB because we had no #1?  And we have to pay him his option and re-sign him to a long term deal in which he is going to command equal or more than Sammy money?  And he has an extensive injury history as well?

Here's how this is going to play out.  We traded Sammy for a #2 pick, because Gaines will walk. We used a #3 pick and #7 pick to trade for KB.  So it's like trading up for a #2 with your #3 and #7.  We'll have $5M in savings next year as compared to keeping Sammy, but we will end up paying KB $12M or $13M (perhaps more) AAV when he hits FA.  

So long-term, we traded Sammy, a 3rd and a 7th for KB and a 2nd, with a 1 year rental of Gaines and 1 year savings of $5M.  Not a lopsided trade, but it doesn't exactly knock my socks off either.

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

By stupid people. No one who watched Matthews and Sammy thought they were comparable players.

we got rid of Tyrod's one passing strength, throwing deep, for a bunch of slow slot WRs.  Terrible front office decision.

Some box score watchers did.  

The Sammy move was my one real bone to pick with this new FO. I get why they did it, I just wouldn't have.

And what would have been so wrong trying to have a .500 team (past 3 years) win 2 more games and make the playoffs?????  17 years people.  

This notion of superbowl or bust is a dream.......  Make the playoffs, get lucky with a franchise/top 10 QB and cross your fingers that things bounce your way......

But keep drinking the koolaid that McD & Beane are smarter then 31 other GMs/Coaches......

On 12/29/2017 at 12:22 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do your own research since you seem to be so certain. Sambo?

The hard truth  :lol:

the guy who does not research whatsoever and is limited to everyone elses work requesting someone else to research is one of the funniest things i've ever seen

love,

farmer fool

On 12/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, SJDK said:

A couple years ago I commented that Sammy Watkins would be injury prone and basically the same as Brandon LaFell ( Check my old comments). I was abused by this board received warnings from mods for defending myself and I stand here today to show just what has happened with these two players.

Since 2014: 

LaFell receptions: 224 yards: 2957 TD:18
Watkins: receptions: 184 yards: 2987 TD:23
*Includes this years stats so far 

i hope we we win Sunday and get some help to get in the playoffs. The last game I was at was the Jacksonville game in ‘99 with flutie taking in the bootleg. I just want to make a point that we need players who are good, available, and mesh with the team. Coach Mac has the right idea.

?!?!?!

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

i would like to know what the Bills had for ratings on Watson and where he was on their charts.  It would be telling.

Tomorrows game will show that McD plays Jauron ball and I have a feeling we lose by 6+

On 12/28/2017 at 11:47 PM, SJDK said:

My point was an ‘I told you so’ from before Sammy ever took a snap. Also, that we didn’t need him and I’m still a fan 

Yep, you told us, and a broken clock is right twice a day. You must feel good about yourself. So sad. 'I told you so'. Ha!

On 12/28/2017 at 11:59 PM, KD in CA said:

....says Mr. Cut & Paste, while he pines for the glory days of Tyrod to Sammy!  

On 12/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, SJDK said:

A couple years ago I commented that Sammy Watkins would be injury prone and basically the same as Brandon LaFell ( Check my old comments). I was abused by this board received warnings from mods for defending myself and I stand here today to show just what has happened with these two players.

Since 2014: 

i hope we we win Sunday and get some help to get in the playoffs. The last game I was at was the Jacksonville game in ‘99 with flutie taking in the bootleg. I just want to make a point that we need players who are good, available, and mesh with the team. Coach Mac has the right idea.

In 2014 Watkins was a rookie and lafell was entering his 5th season. So, since 2014 Watkins has more yards and TD's than an established wr who, by the way played with pass happy ne for 2 of those years. All while Watkins played for a run heavy team without the goat (Brady) throwing to him. Yes you is brilliant. Drunk much?!?! And your advice for the types of players we should bring in?! That's team building 101. But I guess you invented this theory. Yes, you is brilliant. TOOT YOUR OWN HORN!!! TA, TA, TA TA!!!

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree that selecting Watson would have been far more impactful. 

I am not sold on the concept that McD is a Jauron-esque coach. I think he has had to play conservative football this year due to the severe limitation of the personnel on both sides of the ball (several self inflicted wounds ofcourse). If we load up on QB, DT, DE and G in the upcoming draft, we will see if he becomes more aggressive. Jauron was a proven conservative coach even before he got to Buffalo. His coaching style was well defined. It is far too early to proclaim McD as a Jauron clone, without the above context. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Passed on a franchise QB....why?

On 12/28/2017 at 9:33 PM, SJDK said:

Since 2014: 

When we drsfted him on the BBMB I similarly stated his career path would be cj spillerish and was mocked. Its how you

respond to such jibberish that defines your character.

4 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

When we drsfted him on the BBMB I similarly stated his career path would be cj spillerish and was mocked. Its how you

respond to such jibberish that defines your character.

You think Rams fans think he is C.J. spiller like?     Or do they think they are dominating the league and Watkins 8 td’s and presence are a huge part of it.  

On 12/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, SJDK said:

Since 2014: 

LMAO!!!

If you think Sammy and LaFell are comparable players then thank you, I now know not to spend time reading any of your posts.  Sammy is light years more talented than LaFell.  Sammy was NOT injury prone, he got dinged up a little early and then the bulk of his issue was one long lingering injury that he fully recovered from and has played every game this year.  WR's get dinged up...guys who are SUBSTANTIALLY more injury Prone than Sammy have been Juilo Jones, OBJ, etc.  

Sammy played on an awful offense as a rookie with Kyle Orton and EJ.  Then spent next two years on a run first team, with terrible coaching, and battled the foot issue (something thats NEVER reoccurred in any player in NFL history once fully recovered from).  This year he is on a run first team LOADED with weapons at WR and TE and still has a lot of TD's.  

So, sorry...this is about as ridiculous a comparison I have ever seen.  Sammy is superior to LaFell in every way...faster, better hands, better Redzone target, better route runner, better catch radius, better big play guy, etc.  You were absolutely wrong then and you are absolutely wrong now.  But I get it, you want to cherry pick right now while you still can where the time missed really hurt Sammys stats because in another year or two Sammys stats will be substantially greater than LaFell who isn't even a quality starter in the this league.

This board cracks me up with this stuff.  Its like some of you dont even watch games.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have nothing personal against Sammy. I never got to experience his impact for my team. I'm not saying he didn't have any impact. I'm just saying he wasn't the difference between this or that while playing for the Bills. I won't even blame him for whatever lack of impact I feel he had. 

The only thing that I was concerned with is what was given to aquire him and what was received in return while he was here and what he was traded for. I can only view that as a loss myself. So all I feel is ultimately we suffered for bringing him to the Bills. 

It might make people feel better if he went elsewhere and was bad. It strengthening thier argument to want to move on. It might make others feel better if he goes elsewhere and lights it up justifying thier disagreement with the move to trade him.

I think both sides have good points on how it went down. I could see how it was good and bad that we moved on. It is water under the bridge now because you can't turn back the hands of time. 

So I would say Sammy who? I say that because I never really got to know him as a Bill. That isn't me hating on him more then it's just how it turned out. A guy used as a decoy because of injury that never got to establish himself for my team. It's a lose lose lose situation reguardless of how you look at it. Also how he plays now isn't a guarantee how he plays here if not traded good or bad.

It's a loss because we payed the high price to get him.

It's a loss because he never was able to be established and become a factor in making any postseason for the Bills. It's a loss because we never will know if he could of been a factor for the Bills because his time ran out. It's a loss because the team cut thier losses and took whatever compensation for him that they could get. 

I think the only thing that bothers me in the end is what you give for what you get. I don't think the Bills got good return for what was given. It's a total loss.

• Like (+1) 1

The premise that , we would have been in the playoffs is ludicrous IMO. The coaches knew in preseason that Sammy was just interested in playing for Sammy and probably would not have resigned with the Bill's. Dareus , they got their fill of him in the games he "played" in. Darby was not a fit in Buffalo because of the Zone defense. We are in the position to possibly be in the playoffs because we traded these players . if we had not , i i think we would be 6 -10.

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

The premise that , we would have been in the playoffs is ludicrous IMO. The coaches knew in preseason that Sammy was just interested in playing for Sammy and probably would not have resigned with the Bill's. Dareus , they got their fill of him in the games he "played" in. Darby was not a fit in Buffalo because of the Zone defense. We are in the position to possibly be in the playoffs because we traded these players . if we had not , i i think we would be 6 -10.

Well this is just silly. I mean maybe, you can make the case that the defense is better for having EJ Gaines, but the offense is clearly worse (32nd ranked passing offense) for not having Watkins. As for Dareus...what? You think Dareus was addition by subtraction? Give me a break. Run defense (30th now) went flat once he was traded. 

Darby I can agree with despite Matthews not playing nearly as much as we need him to. I wonder when we start calling Matthews "soft" and "injury prone"? Just kidding. Injuries happen, just like they did with Watkins.