Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

I am going to have to keep this on this on the radar for Netflix March 16th.
Wild Wild Country six part series:

Produced by Mark and Jay Duplass ("Togetherness"), "Wild Wild Country" is directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, who made "The Battered Bastards of Baseball," the entertaining documentary about the late, great Portland Mavericks baseball team.

"Wild Wild Country" goes back to the early 1980s, when a philosophy professor-turned guru from India called Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his followers bought land in Oregon's Wasco County. Rajneesh's chief of staff, Ma Anand Sheela, was the organizer, and thousands of crimson-clad followers showed up to live and work on the commune.

Just watched "A Futile & Stupid Gesture", the movie about National Lampoon in the 70's( and briefly 80's).  Great cast, Will Hader and Martin Mull are great as old and young Doug Kenney.  The movie was done very well.  Loved Lampoon in my days of ute.  Never knew the back story

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Just watched "A Futile & Stupid Gesture", the movie about National Lampoon in the 70's( and briefly 80's).  Great cast, Will Hader and Martin Mull are great as old and young Doug Kenney.  The movie was done very well.  Loved Lampoon in my days of ute.  Never knew the back story

That was a really good watch.  In a similar vein, I also really enjoyed the documentary about the Dana Carvey show.  I think its on Hulu.

not aware of that one at all...would love to check that one out.  Dana Carvey is so frigging funny

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That was a really good watch.  In a similar vein, I also really enjoyed the documentary about the Dana Carvey show.  I think its on Hulu.

8 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I saw half of this Sunday until I got called away. It’s the first thing I’m going to watch tonight. Loved the first half. 

Im sure it’s been mentioned already, but I really enjoyed the first season of The Mist. 

8 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Look one page before

• 3 weeks later...

If I knew how to change thread titles, I'd add Amazon Prime and premium networks to the thread title.

Regardless, it ain't Netflix, but has anyone been watching Counterpart on Starz?  Holy crap, best show on TV - my mind is seriously blown...

JK Simmons is my new hero

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

If I knew how to change thread titles, I'd add Amazon Prime and premium networks to the thread title.

Regardless, it ain't Netflix, but has anyone been watching Counterpart on Starz?  Holy crap, best show on TV - my mind is seriously blown...

JK Simmons is my new hero

maxresdefault.jpg

Just click edit on your original post and you can change the thread title from there 

15 hours ago, shrader said:

Anyone watching Jessica Jones? I’m around 5 episodes in and I really miss Killgrave

Finished last night. Worst Marvel product yet, IMO.  The 1st season was slow, but Killgrave was a good character. This season started slow and never got going.

1. Bojack Horseman

2. Trailer Park Boys (the original pre-netflix exclusive seasons only, they beat that horse to death)

3. Narcos

4. Alias Grace

5. Godless

6. Stranger Things

7. Mindhunter

8. The Punisher

9. The End of the !@#$ing World (not great, a bit irritating to begin, but decent one and done short series)

On 2/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Max Fischer said:

Favorite Shows in the last three-four years or so (in no order):

- Fall of Eagles (You Tube)  Mid-70s BBC miniseries tracking the end of the Austrian, German and Russian monarchies 1850-1918..  Excellent stories and acting. I,Claudius good.

- Ozark (Netflix) This one surprised me.  Breaking Bad is my all-time drama favorite but Ozark has a chance to rival it.  All characters are good, great writing and plot twists. 

- Stranger (Netflix) Korean crime drama. It's a commitment but well worth the time. Very intricate and plot driven.  Yes, subtitles, but a cool look into Korea. 

- Goliath (Amazon) Well done Billy Bob Thornton law/crime miniseries. They use the potentially boring cliche of drunk lawyer to great affect. Thornton is excellent. 

- Marvelous Mrs. Maziel (Amazon)  My overall best show of 2017. Everything is great, especially the star. The eight one-hour episodes fly by.  

- Broadchurch (Netflix). Superior English small-town mysteries. Three seasons, very well done. Tennett and Oliva Coleman deliver. 

- Hotel Beau Séjour (Netflix). Belgian miniseries. Stay with me, murdered teenager tries to solve her own murder.  Dark, suspenseful and well written. 

- The Break (Netflix). Another Belgian miniseries. Damaged detective goes home. Good mystery. 

- The Bridge (not sure where). Danish/Swedish mystery.  Great characters/mystery. Fun to see the two countries interact. Copied many times, always poorly. 

- Trapped. Iceland. Remote (aren't they all?) harbor town cut off by blizzard. Police look to solve murders.  Good look into Iceland. 

- Happy Valley (Netflix).  Can't praise this show enough. Excellent characters and mystery. English mid-lands. Great writing and absorbing mystery. Two seasons.

- The Good Place (NBC/Netflix/Hulu). Truly great comedy, completely original, smart and unpredictable.  Everything and everyone is excellent. 

I used this list for two series to watch.  Not successful on The Bridge, at least not the Danish version.   I found it I think on Netflix and at the start of the show they showed an exit for Paisano Drive.  I thought what would the exit that leads to the softball fields in El Paso have to do with this bridge story.  Well, I guess the original The Bridge was good enough to be copied in different countries I think 3 or 4 times.   The US version is between El Paso and Jaurez.  I really wanted to watch the Danish version, so I passed on that.  Looks like they are also doing a version at the Chunnel.

I ended up watching The Stranger.   Your description was right on.  Very good, may be the most intricate plot I have ever seen..  A bit drawn out.  I would like to see a US version of this made although I am not sure how the cultural differences would affect the story.

I'll continue to use your list as I had already enjoyed Happy Valley, Broadchurch and Mrs. Maziel.  So I think your tastes align with mine.

We just blew through "The End of the F***ing World" on Netflix last night.  One season, eight episodes, but the episodes are less than 30 min. so it's basically like watching a long movie.  Dark comedy, I thought it was excellent.