Bills Barnwell Projects the 2018 Veteran QB Market

26CornerBlitz

The 2018 NFL QB market is going to be wild. Here are the dominoes

r305103_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=800&h=320&sca

Kirk Cousins is going to get paid. Alex Smith might land in the perfect spot. The 2018 offseason is shaping up to be a fascinating game of quarterback musical chairs. Bill Barnwell lays out the field of contestants.

The 2018 offseason is shaping up to be a fascinating game of quarterback musical chairs. During a typical offseason, we usually see about seven teams either replace their current passer or draft a player who they expect to eventually take over as their long-term quarterback. Excluding the injuries that forced the Colts and Dolphins to make moves before the 2017 season, there were six teams -- the 49ers, Bears, Browns, Chiefs, Jets and Texans -- that dramatically changed their quarterback calculus this past offseason.

Teams will have to prepare to pursue multiple quarterbacks on several fronts and be willing to settle for their second or third choice. As we break down the veteran market to come in order of how the league would perceive their desirability, though, it all starts with the rarest commodity: a franchise quarterback in the prime of his career who might be available for free.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So, in other words, we have like a .000087438% chance of acquiring Kirk Cousins.  But he sucks, right, so why would we want him?  

He's better than Taylor, but not that much. Let's try to get our next HOF QB before settling for a guy that'maybe just above avg.

Smith is a less mobile version of Taylor..........

A BIG........ NO THANK YOU.

And Cousins will want too much money and he won't be worth it.

Lots of good QB's could be coming out.

The Bills could get the sixth best prospect, for example, that could easily wind up being the best pro QB in this draft.

Draft and develop the QB, for once.

18 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Smith is a less mobile version of Taylor..........

A BIG........ NO THANK YOU.

And Cousins will want too much money and he won't be worth it.

Lots of good QB's could be coming out.

The Bills could get the sixth best prospect, for example, that could easily wind up being the best pro QB in this draft.

Draft and develop the QB, for once.

Smith isn't a version of Taylor in any way.

Edited by White Linen

14 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Smith isn't a version of Taylor in any way.

Whomever Taylor compares to isn't my ultimate point.

Point is, Smith would be a lateral move for this franchise.

7 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Hard to see amy big time veteran QB wanting to come here with the quality of WRs to throw to.

Yeah, cause Benjamin and Clay are awful when healthy.

Get outta here with that crap of a QB not wanting to come here.

The Pegula's money is as green as everyone else's.

• Like (+1) 1

Recent Tax bill will have an unfortunate effect on the Bills FA chances. 

We'll need to offer more than most other states as only the 1st 10k of local/state taxes are to be deductible.

We've always been at a disadvantage, but now, looks to be worse.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Whomever Taylor compares to isn't my ultimate point.

Point is, Smith would be a lateral move for this franchise.

Yeah, cause Benjamin and Clay are awful when healthy.

Get outta here with that crap of a QB not wanting to come here.

The Pegula's money is as green as everyone else's.

I though Clay was a tight end? Ok I just checked to be sure. Google says he's a tight end not a wide receiver.

I like Benjamin big target but him being hurt early was concerning. 

Edited by Lfod

7 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Hard to see amy big time veteran QB wanting to come here with the quality of WRs to throw to.

Really? Cause jimmy g is doing fine with  goodwin as his number 1, cousins passes for 4000 yards and does fine with guys like grant and crowder. Even bortles is doing good with lee, mickens and cole. Our wrs arent the problem

7 hours ago, Foreigner said:

The WRs are fine - just as they have been the last 2 years.  It is the QB that does not use the WRs that is the problem.

Everyone complained about Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, etc. and yet now people think they were better because they have QBs that get them the ball.

Get the QB and the receivers will look so much better.

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's better than Taylor, but not that much. Let's try to get our next HOF QB before settling for a guy that'maybe just above avg.

I understand your point, but the HOF bar is awfully high.  I would be happy with a young player who at least has a chance to become a top half of the league starting QB.

i would be less inspired by a veteran like Alex Smith, unless they also draft a QB early.

Barnwell sums it up perfectly here:

I get the feeling a lot of teams might see Taylor as a backup plan, which means his market might not materialize quickly. It's difficult to find an obvious fit for Taylor as an unquestioned starter, which means he might have to settle for a job as a bridge to a younger starter in waiting (in Cleveland or Kansas City), or compete for the No. 1 job with an inferior option for a team that doesn't have a long-term solution (like the Jets or Broncos).

Again nothing against TT, he's just not as good as the numbers indicate and most realize that. But as long as he's willing to be a backup again or understand he'll be on a very short leash as a starter for a team like the Browns he'll certainly have options.