ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Give Cousins a blank check and draft Allen or Lamar Jackson if they are available with our first pick, otherwise take a guy like Rudolph / Falk / Ferguson / Lock in round 3.

There is something alluring about signing Cousins and then having all those draft picks to bolster both sides of the ball, but it will be difficult to sign him as he pry stays with the Skins.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Are you kidding?

Would you have liked to have Drew Brees as  your QB for the past 6 years? If the answer is yes, he is 39 right now. QB's play a LOT longer now. If a good QB that's 33 becomes available, you take him! 

People that like Tyrod always talk about how he's a game manager & protects the ball & spin his ridiculously low numbers as if they're some sort of accomplishment.

Alex Smith is an actual game manager that has the ability to do far more. He's better in every conceivable way except running the ball, and even then he's a good dual threat QB & runs quite often.

267 yards per game, 3,738 yards, 67.8% completion percentage, 25 TDs & 5 Ints. 105.4 Passer Rating. Yeah, who would want that when you could have 178 yards per game, 2,314 yards, 62.8% completion percentage, 13 TDs, 4 Ints, & 89.1 Passer Rating?

We don't need a QB with a 51-27 record since joining the Chiefs that has been in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. What are you thinking Dingus?

Smith would be and ideal vet to groom a rookie for a year or 2. The hot takes and comparisons to TT are pretty good here.

• Like (+1) 1

isn't foles on a 1 yr. deal? i thought we should have gone after him before he went to kc. if he hits the market and is looking like a 18 to 20 mil. i think we should get him here and lock him up. i went on about this a long time ago when everyone said he was garbage and a one year wonder....well he may just win the sb...how bout dat?

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Why not?  It was smart of KC to give a full year.  Better than throwing him in on Day 1 of Year 1 like so many teams do.

KC is in cap hell next year.  Trading 17 million of Alex Smith's contract and getting a probable 2-3 round pick is smart.

As to the Bills getting Smith.  I kind of like it.  It would be only 1 year left on his contract for 17 million.

Sit our new 1st round pick and Peterman.

Now if we were forced to sign Smith to a longer term contract, unless we had an out after the 1st year, I wouldn't like that.

I am on this page too

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

We don't need a QB with a 51-27 record since joining the Chiefs that has been in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. What are you thinking Dingus?

Smith would be and ideal vet to groom a rookie for a year or 2. The hot takes and comparisons to TT are pretty good here.

I know, that would be an outrage! Who cares if he plays great, takes care of the ball, can move the ball through the air, can read a defense, can run the ball when he has to, go through his progressions, throw receivers open, can hit people in stride, can actually call audibles, and finds ways to win consistently? 

Apparently 33 is too old anyway. I mean these older guys can't play:

Ben Roethlisberger (will be 36 start of next season)

Tom Brady (will be 41 start of next season)

Drew Brees (turns 39 next month)

Phillp Rivers (36)

Matt Ryan (will be 33 before start of next season)

Carson Palmer (turns 38 in a week)

Aaron Rodgers (34)

They should've all been out of the league years ago!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the bolded is just false... smiths career high for yardage in season before this year was nothing more than 3500. in that same season he tossed a whopping 15 td. career high for tds was 23. I would place a LARGE wager on smiths career win % being right on par with taylors had he not had elite defenses in both san fran and KC. look what happened to the chiefs this year once the run game hit a decline and defense disappeared. smith started losing. he has had the luxury of some amazing teams around him. not even debatable..... smith might be a bit better but not by much and this would be a lateral move.

Not sure what what reality you exist in. Smith is a system QB who does what is called for to win. He's far more accurate than TT and doesn't need his receiver to have 4 yards separation before throwing. Smith gets rid of the ball faster than Brady while TT holds it the longest in the league. Plus Smith can hit a crossing pattern and is accurate in the short to mid passing game. Keep your stats, Smith is a decent starter while TT is a back up.

51 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Not sure what what reality you exist in. Smith is a system QB who does what is called for to win. He's far more accurate than TT and doesn't need his receiver to have 4 yards separation before throwing. Smith gets rid of the ball faster than Brady while TT holds it the longest in the league. Plus Smith can hit a crossing pattern and is accurate in the short to mid passing game. Keep your stats, Smith is a decent starter while TT is a back up.

Smith is a real QB. He's pretty much what tankers want to get with a high pick. In fact, he was the number 1 pick in the draft.  And, we already know he's not a bust. 

Maybe we would have an inside track since Andy was Coach MCDermott's mentor.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Smith is a real QB. He's pretty much what tankers want to get with a high pick. In fact, he was the number 1 pick in the draft.  And, we already know he's not a bust. 

Maybe we would have an inside track since Andy was Coach MCDermott's mentor.

That would be fantastic. 

If we had Alex Smith instead of Kyle Orton & EJ in 2014, we'd have made a pretty impressive playoff push that year. He's a game manager but with a lot more upside.

His stats look like Brady in his prime compared to what we have now. 4 300 yard games this year. A shot at 30 tds with likely single digit picks. 8 yards per attempt. Im good. Draft a young guy with one of our first or second rounders. Let him sit for one or two years. Fill your other needs. Sounds like a solid plan.

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

Tyrod clone. Game manager. Good runner. Doesn’t turn the ball over. Might as well stick with Tyrod. 

Their numbers arent even remotely comparable. 

I think it makes sense to bring in a veteran QB and fix the holes all over the team. 

The options basically are to take the two firsts plus a lot more and move up to take the third or fourth best QB in the draft, and hope he survives long enough while the revolving door keeps spinning for the Bills to assemble enough good players around him.  And hope he turns out to be a good player,  There are so many examples of highly ranked rookie QBs flaming out, usually because the O line is bad or the WRs are bad or the RB is getting old.  Huh, who does that sound like.

Or, the Bills can put in a guy who can win with the right pieces around him.  With a very strong draft plus the current crop, and a few good solid FAs, the team will be much stronger next year.  We're still making a bet on a good draft, but we're not putting all the chips on one guy, a QB.  We have serious problems at O line, D line, LB, and WR.  We can fix most of those problems.