Prevent Offense

Billsfan1972

6 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Tyrod threw deep to Zay at least once, and threw deep to Clay on 4th down... Everyone is complaining about the conservative calls inside the 10 as if that was the whole half. It was not. Some things didn't work out. It happens.

And hit Zay in the hands once again with no catch, according to announcer he has highest drop rate in NFL.

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Great first half and then again a terrible second half.  Dennison and McDermott seem clueless after halftime and refused to continue with what's working and what is a lopsided game turn it into a nail biter.

Most pro coaches get conservative in the second half when they have a big lead.  It's not unusual and it worked. 

50 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Tyrod threw deep to Zay at least once, and threw deep to Clay on 4th down... Everyone is complaining about the conservative calls inside the 10 as if that was the whole half. It was not. Some things didn't work out. It happens.

Yep. Zay had a bad drop and Tyrod missed Clay deep. If either of those plays work out the perception is different. 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hope McDermott starts to see the merits of not taking the pedal off the metal.  I'd like him to be more like Sean Payton in that regard.

Payton does have the luxury of a hall of fame QB that McDermott does not have, that's the difference.  Gotta have a guy you can completely trust throwing the ball.  McDermott clearly doesn't trust Tyrod

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Payton does have the luxury of a hall of fame QB that McDermott does not have, that's the difference.  Gotta have a guy you can completely trust throwing the ball.  McDermott clearly doesn't trust Tyrod

Good point.  Hope McDermott gets his guy this offseason; FA, draft or both

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Zay had a bad drop and Tyrod missed Clay deep. If either of those plays work out the perception is different. 

They did indeed take shots in the 2nd half.  Zay has to make that play as we've said a few times this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good point.  Hope McDermott gets his guy this offseason; FA, draft or both

To me, that is the sole reason he and Dennison aren't more aggressive in their playcalling.  We can whine all we want but Tyrod isn't exactly a consistent passer and doesn't seem to feel comfortable throwing into tight windows ever.  Hence Benjamin's lack of targets with Tyrod as QB.  Once they bring in their QB, I can justify bashing their conservative playcalling.  

Whenever I see someone screaming for us to pass and be more aggressive all I see is Tyrod's pick at the goalline against the Pats...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

To me, that is the sole reason he and Dennison aren't more aggressive in their playcalling.  We can whine all we want but Tyrod isn't exactly a consistent passer and doesn't seem to feel comfortable throwing into tight windows ever.  Hence Benjamin's lack of targets with Tyrod as QB.  Once they bring in their QB, I can justify bashing their conservative playcalling.  

Whenever I see someone screaming for us to pass and be more aggressive all I see is Tyrod's pick at the goalline against the Pats...

Really????  Tyrod's one lousy int vs. NE and that is the reason to turtle every second half this year?

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really????  Tyrod's one lousy int vs. NE and that is the reason to turtle every second half this year?

Haha no that's not the only pass.  He's clearly not comfortable passing the ball into tight coverage.  If he was comfortable, he'd pass to Benjamin more.  He's 6'5"...all you have to do is throw it up to him like Peterman did in the Indy game.  He doesn't show any aggression when passing.  He seemed to hesitant to throw an open screen pass today and decided to take a sack today instead.  He just doesn't show much confidence to throw the ball down the field.  It's not like all of these play calls have guys doing routes within two yards...he just decides to dump down to the open running back instead of taking a chance down the field.  He did a better job today but he hasn't been aggressive all year.  You can blame Dennison all you want but he does call passing plays where receivers go down the field.  He doesn't have a lot of INTs because he doesn't attempt to throw into tight windows and be aggressive.  

Tyrod certainly doesn't make one confident in throwing the ball in all situations.  

• Like (+1) 1

OP is dead wrong, see: Falcons Super Bowl.

That's how you put a team away when up 3 scores in the late 3rd.

Only issue I have at all with playcalling is the 3rd down and 2 from the Miami 30 that should have definitely been a a run but a FORWARD run - FG was in hand - but Shady got tackled 5 yds behind the line cuz everyone in the stadium knew .. Go TT sneak there. FWD or zero.

Other than that playcall - perfect once Bills went up 18.

Ha - prevent offense!  Yes, that's their mo this season but it has worked to get some wins.  Get the lead and milk it in the second half and rely on the defense and the other team to make mistakes.  I hate not being aggressive all the way through but with this offense i can see why McDermott goes with this philosophy.  But if we fall behind in any game  - forget it.

5 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

3 points in the second half. pretty piss poor and not going to get it done next week.

fortunately the defense came up big a few times, bailed their ass out.

Especially when your defense came up with two turnovers.

6 minutes ago, moshermw said:

OP is dead wrong, see: Falcons Super Bowl.

That's how you put a team away when up 3 scores in the late 3rd.

Only issue I have at all with playcalling is the 3rd down and 2 from the Miami 30 that should have definitely been a a run but a FORWARD run - FG was in hand - but Shady got tackled 5 yds behind the line cuz everyone in the stadium knew .. Go TT sneak there. FWD or zero.

Other than that playcall - perfect once Bills went up 18.

Got to have a happy medium. Falcons went way too aggressive but Bills today went way too conservative. Could have used a few more play actions late in the third/4th

59 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

81, 75 & 80 yard drives in the first half 21 points.

Second half.....  The Bills get two interceptions, drive starts at the 42, Maimi's 23, 32 & 33 yard lines and generate 3 points.....

This team is so hard to watch.

Also, I was surprised that they did not bring on Webb on those 3rd and 1 and 4th downs...Getting him, Tyrod and McCoy on the field would have got us the needed one yard.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Got to have a happy medium. Falcons went way too aggressive but Bills today went way too conservative. Could have used a few more play actions late in the third/4th

No doubt.

But stuck to the run and plays that stay inbounds and kept the clock moving.

There were a couple opportunities for some jugular plays -  and McD took em - safely. Instead every other one was a tiny jugular play ...

Luvd  watching The Fish and Cutler implode and suffocate.

2 minutes ago, moshermw said:

No doubt.

But stuck to the run and plays that stay inbounds and kept the clock moving.

There were a couple opportunities for some jugular plays -  and McD took em - safely. Instead every other one was a tiny jugular play ...

Luvd  watching The Fish and Cutler implode and suffocate.

Ya agreed. I would have liked to see the Bills use more play clock though, especially given the conservative approach they were using. Too many times they snapped it with 10-25 seconds left. Those seconds add up. 

Edited by billsfan11

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Also, I was surprised that they did not bring on Webb on those 3rd and 1 and 4th downs...Getting him, Tyrod and McCoy on the field would have got us the needed one yard.

ANY play that goes FWD would ahve been cool on that 3 rd and 2.

Personally happy we got a FS and PF penalty on that 4th and 1 at the 1 to force McD to kick to go up 18. Always take points that lead to another required possession.

Especially late.

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya agreed. I would have liked to see the Bills use more play clock though, especially given the conservative approach they were using. Too many times they snapped it with 10-25 seconds left. Those seconds add up. 

Agree. Brutal at times.

• Like (+1) 1

This coaching staff needs to be reminded a NFL game is 60 minutes. You can't come out in the 3rd Quarter and  try

and sit on the lead the 2nd half. Today it almost bit the Bills in the rear end with Preston Brown fielding a on side kick.

Even our TEs and WRs can catch the ball better than a LB.And our prevent D near the end did not prevent anything.

Game was a closer than it had to be.

5 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

This coaching staff needs to be reminded a NFL game is 60 minutes. You can't come out in the 3rd Quarter and  try

and sit on the lead the 2nd half. Today it almost bit the Bills in the rear end with Preston Brown fielding a on side kick.

Even our TEs and WRs can catch the ball better than a LB.And our prevent D near the end did not prevent anything.

Game was a closer than it had to be.

I counted 5 cliches in 1 paragraph. Well done.

You coach differently at different times of the game. Jones catches his pass or Clay catches the screen that had blockers in front and the game isn't close. I don't agree with every play call, but nothing major wrong that I could see.

Brown was likely  there to block, he shouldn't have tried to field the ball, his mistake.

Edited by klos63
correction

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hope McDermott starts to see the merits of not taking the pedal off the metal.  I'd like him to be more like Sean Payton in that regard.

I agree with this completely. I'm not saying he should pull a Pete Carroll and fake punt up a ton of points, but a good number of our wins this year were a few plays from being losses when they didn't need to be. This game and KC come to mind. 

The strategy of getting up by a score or two and then running a pop warner offense to chew the clock can certainly win games, but it lets the other team stick around when we should be going for the knockout. Up 3 or 4 tds in the 2nd half and I'm cool with the run run pass punt, not up one score. 

Playing not to win but not to lose doesn't cut it, because the point is this coaching staff

needs to be reminded a NFL game is 60 minutes. This is not the first time this year they

tried to sit on the lead. The so called prevent D didn't prevent anything.

And whose idea was it to have a LB trying to catch a on side kick. You mean no one thinks

a WR or TE can catch the ball better than Preston Brown. This game was a lot closer

than it had to be.

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

If you want to criticize Tyrod, turnovers and lack of trust in poor decision making is not warranted. Over the last 3 seasons he has a top 5 turnover/td ratio for a QB in the NFL.