More from obd

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Double ugh.  Don't want Smith if you have to trade picks to get him and Rudolph is an average arm, below average decision making fella with superior wr corp in a bad defense conference.

...certainly agree...his tariff for 2018 is $17 mil of which $2 mil is a roster bonus due in March......so we'll see if Andy keeps him for $17 mil (I'd guess yes)......or......

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

how can we be working out trades, hasn't the trade deadline passed? When does the trades become allowable again? After the superbowl?

There is not a rule against teams talking trades with other organizations.  You just can't talk to players.  Teams talk year round.

42 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Thats PRO BOWL ALTERNATE Mike Tolbert to you, sir.

I heard that this morning on the radio that Tolbert is a PB alternate and just wondered how in the hell did that happen? Obviously it's not for his work as a RB/FB and I don't recall seeing him make many, if any, plays on special teams. 

7 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Get Cousins and continue developing Peterman.  They are both the same type of QB.

That Greg Gabriel dude (former NFL scout, had some type of high executive position with the Bears for some time, been out of the NFL for a while but helps with some draft site, maybe Rivals or something?) believes that Peterman was the Cousins of the 2017 draft. He may be the only one that thinks so, tho. 

We keep talking about how this team needs a true franchise QB, one that can put the team on his back and pull off a comeback or come up with the big plays during crunch time and we know that's not Tyrod. We don't fully know if that's Peterman but I wouldn't say it's likely that he becomes that type of QB. I think he's another QB with a limited skill set who will require a certain type of offense around him in order to succeed, much like Taylor. At this point, they have to be working as hard as they can to identify a QB who they believe can be plugged into most any system and excel within it, regardless of the talent around him. Because, remember, as they always say, a true franchise QB elevates the play of those around him. In reality, all these qualities people list as a need for a franchise QB create quite a tall order, and thereby create a situation where if one of those kinds of QBs comes along he's seen as a generational player because that's how rare it is for a guy to possess all those qualities. This is why there are only like, five or six of these guys in the NFL. More than likely they'll end up with a guy who should have more upside than Taylor but will likely always have a drawback or two that teams will just have to deal with. 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Double D has been exposed and has disappeared. At least try and know something about the offseason process before making false claims. 

Haha how was he exposed?

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:
4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Seems very Billsie ;)

Why would this even happen unless Beane is in life long concussion protocol? ;)

Alex Smith will be available and cheaper.(he is the same QB only older)

...yup, my choice versus WAY over paying for Cousins.........

If we are going for a 2 or 3 year rental, save the $ and improve an O Line and get a run stuffer. 

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

Haha how was he exposed?

By not knowing that a trade can't happen until the new league year starts. The Redskins have no leverage to re-sign Cousins and he has been happy with his inflated franchised contract for the last 2 years. In fact, if after talking to their GM in the unlikely scenario that he IS amenable to the idea of a trade to us I'd just sit back and do nothing and then sign him in FA

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Haha how was he exposed?

Let me count the ways.  

Just read the thread again,  It is self explanatory.  

3 Quick hits

Bills will get Cousins - talks already under way.   

Bills will build a new stadium - - talks already under way.   

Bills will fire a FO guy - talks already under way.   

Everybody sing along !!!

Dunkirk Don, what's that flower you have on?
Could it be a faded rumor from days gone by?
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his stadium in the sky?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

11 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

By not knowing that a trade can't happen until the new league year starts. The Redskins have no leverage to re-sign Cousins and he has been happy with his inflated franchised contract for the last 2 years. In fact, if after talking to their GM in the unlikely scenario that he IS amenable to the idea of a trade to us I'd just sit back and do nothing and then sign him in FA

Holy crap on a stick, the amount they'd have to give up to sign him as a FA would be astronomical. 

I think it's been said in this thread previously but teams can speak with other teams about players and possible off-season plans. Teams can't contact players or players agents until that "legal" tampering period starts in March. The Combine in Indy is where a ton of talks happen between teams and agents. I think it's a pretty poorly kept "secret" that the Combine is generally where teams start really discussing free agents and trade scenarios. It's also a good spot for teams to connect with their own players agents if they are up for a new contract and whatnot.

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Holy crap on a stick, the amount they'd have to give up to sign him as a FA would be astronomical. 

I think it's been said in this thread previously but teams can speak with other teams about players and possible off-season plans. Teams can't contact players or players agents until that "legal" tampering period starts in March. The Combine in Indy is where a ton of talks happen between teams and agents. I think it's a pretty poorly kept "secret" that the Combine is generally where teams start really discussing free agents and trade scenarios. It's also a good spot for teams to connect with their own players agents if they are up for a new contract and whatnot.

Please check out the NFL rule website

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641702/article/what-is-the-legal-tampering-period

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Let me count the ways.  

Just read the thread again,  It is self explanatory.  

3 Quick hits

Bills will get Cousins - talks already under way.   

Bills will build a new stadium - - talks already under way.   

Bills will fire a FO guy - talks already under way.   

Everybody sing along !!!

Dunkirk Don, what's that flower you have on?
Could it be a faded rumor from days gone by?
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his stadium in the sky?

Haha, good stuff. I don't doubt that the Bills have an eye on the Cousins situation, just as they have an eye on a part-time/backup player who can't crack the starting lineup on another team like Micah Hyde for instance. 

The stadium stuff has rumbled around for a little bit now. More people than just DD have made mention of certain areas being looked at, properties being discussed for purchase, etc. etc. It's obvious they know they're going to need a new stadium... which is kind of confusing to me. I mean, New Era isn't the greatest, but they keep adding more to it and renovating and over the last couple years it's definitely looked a lot better. And it's still serviceable, even moreso now that they made the walkways/stairs wider and easier to navigate. 

As for the firing of a front office guy, I think a lot of people have pointed to it being Overdorf but from what I can recall, I've read/heard that Overdorf has stuck with the organization for as long as he has because he's some kind of numbers wizard. Apparently, he's incredibly good at crunching numbers, moving around money/cap space, adjusting contracts, etc etc. He's found ways to get deals done that probably wouldn't have given the Bills cap situation in recent years (see: Glenn, Dareus, and to a lesser extent, Hughes, I think his deal is pretty fair) but it's deals like those that get teams in cap trouble. Overdorf is a negotiations guy, I think he's one of the first points of contact for agents but when it's all said and done, I believe it's the GM that signs off in approval of whatever contract terms he and his team come up with. Does that make sense to anyone or am I just rambling incoherently here during my lunch break?

42 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If we are going for a 2 or 3 year rental, save the $ and improve an O Line and get a run stuffer. 

...all depends on what Andy does.....owed 17 mil in 2018 which includes roster bonus due in March....does he keep him at that number?.....I want to preserve draft capital where possible to take care of other spots as you said.....

27 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Hmm, that article just kinda outlines the legal tampering period. I may not have been 100% clear, I was saying I think GMs can speak with each other during the season. They just can't negotiate for any upcoming free agents. 

I'm sure team scouts talk with each other whenever they see each other at college games and such. It'd be pretty naive of fans to believe that teams don't communicate whatsoever during the season, even after the trade deadline. There's a whole show going on behind the curtain that none of us know about and even the insiders only get a peek at.

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't know if what DD is saying is true or if he has any sources BUT you are simply posting about the legal tampering period for teams to talk to free agent PLAYERS.

There is absolutely no rule that forbids TEAMS from talking TO OTHER NFL TEAMS about their own players to each other.  Barring another franchise tag, Kirk Cousins is still Redskins property until free agency starts.

5 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Wheres the evidence for that? You mean like the Washington Redskins are?  You do realise they are 6-8 this season, right?

The Redskins through 60 games with Cousins are 27-30-1 and they have paid hime $54 million these past 2 seasons and they haven’t made/wont make the playoffs.

But yea, the Bills would be immediate contenders.

What talent does Cousin's have around him in Washington currently?  He has carried them to 6-8.  Washington is a 3 win team without Kirk.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Hmm, that article just kinda outlines the legal tampering period. I may not have been 100% clear, I was saying I think GMs can speak with each other during the season. They just can't negotiate for any upcoming free agents. 

I'm sure team scouts talk with each other whenever they see each other at college games and such. It'd be pretty naive of fans to believe that teams don't communicate whatsoever during the season, even after the trade deadline. There's a whole show going on behind the curtain that none of us know about and even the insiders only get a peek at.

This topic is a bit funny because there was rumors that at least 3 or 4 teams had interest in Taylor 2 years ago IIRC,.   

So this is an argument / discussion that is repeated frequently.  The speculation is that a Manager opens his mouth to draw interest or concern with teams however it may suit them best. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

I don't know if what DD is saying is true or if he has any sources BUT you are simply posting about the legal tampering period for teams to talk to free agent PLAYERS.

There is absolutely no rule that forbids TEAMS from talking TO OTHER NFL TEAMS about their own players to each other.  Barring another franchise tag, Kirk Cousins is still Redskins property until free agency starts.

I was late for a meeting so I posted the first link I found.   

If you choose to find the exact wording of the rules, feel free to google it yourself. 

Try this

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/7/11172668/legal-tampering-negotiations-2016-free-agency-nfl

What is tampering?

In the NFL, it is illegal to contact or speak about acquiring another team's players. While it's clear who will make up the large majority of the free agency class, all of those players are still technically under contract until the new league year begins on Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

For years that meant no team could contact an impending free agent until their contract officially expired, and that led to a delay between the beginning of free agency and signings actually occurring. The courtship process and the negotiations that follow can take some time, so the NFL decided to allow teams to reach out to players in the days preceding free agency.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

It is not that GMs can not talk.

The Bills can not talk or hint to Cousins their interest without tampering.

The key point is that the teams can talk all they want.  Cousins controls the process as he can not be traded until he signs a contract or the franchise tender.

• Like (+1) 1

I added this to my past post 

What is tampering?

In the NFL, it is illegal to contact or speak about acquiring another team's players. While it's clear who will make up the large majority of the free agency class, all of those players are still technically under contract until the new league year begins on Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

For years that meant no team could contact an impending free agent until their contract officially expired, and that led to a delay between the beginning of free agency and signings actually occurring. The courtship process and the negotiations that follow can take some time, so the NFL decided to allow teams to reach out to players in the days preceding free agency.

By this Drunken Don is full of ****

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

ZERO picks for Cousins, I said get Cousins and KEEP the picks

ZERO picks sounds better than the 5 picks for Peterman.

Seriously though, if we could get Cousins AND keep all the picks, I'm confident McBeane could build an annual playoff caliber team, ala the Patriots or Steelers.

Have not confirmed trade package.  Here's what we do know.  Cousins is still under contract with the Redskins.  The Redskins do not want to franchise him.   It will cost them roughly 35 million to do that.  They are not sure if they want to or can sign him to a long-term deal. Prior to free agency, a team cannot talk to a player of their agent which is true but they can discuss a trade.  The Redskins are probably going to let Cousins walk and want something in return.  Cousins would not mind being reunited with Dennison (Connection to WNY). They have an excellent relationship and Cousins respects him. This is why Dennison's future hinges on Cousins coming to Buffalo.  If Dennison is fired then you will know Cousins is not coming.

Why wouldn't we wait until he is released so we do not have to trade draft picks - we would have to compete with 31 other teams for his services.   If we can trade for him, we have our QB.  We would not trade for Cousins unless a long-term deal could be worked out.  It will be expensive 25million + plus numerous draft picks.  The package we heard is outrageous so we want to confirm before we share.  Again, McDermott loves Cousins (Preparation and commitment)

Where will the money come from?  Tyrod will be traded or released after the season.  Two landing spots are Jacksonville or Denver.  Wont get much  if they wont trade a 6th or 7, he will be released.  Glenn will be traded or released.  The problem is his health that is why Beane tried so hard to trade him before the deadline.  Wont get much for him but will be a salary dump. If Kyle does come back which is highly likely at this point, it will be at a reduced salary, our fullback will be released, we are stuck with Clay.

If this does not work out, 50-50 chance, we may go after Alex Smith.  He will still be 20 million plus too but we wont have to give up as much to the Chiefs.(3rd and 7th is what we would offer)  If those both go south, we will make Peterman our #1 and will sign an experienced quarterback to compete with him or back him up.  The bills are paying close attention to what happens in Minnesota.  The only qb they like in the first round his Darnold.

I know many people on this board are saying Cousins is not worth 20+ million dollars.  I don't disagree but the reality is that a franchise or supposedly franchise quarterback will be north of 20 million.  Heck, the Bears gave Glennon 18 million to hold a clipboard.  We are used to a paying peanuts for our quarterback and that is why we have not reached the playoffs.  More to come.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Have not confirmed trade package.  Here's what we do know.  Cousins is still under contract with the Redskins.  The Redskins do not want to franchise him.   It will cost them roughly 35 million to do that.  They are not sure if they want to or can sign him to a long-term deal. Prior to free agency, a team cannot talk to a player of their agent which is true but they can discuss a trade.  The Redskins are probably going to let Cousins walk and want something in return.  Cousins would not mind being reunited with Dennison (Connection to WNY). They have an excellent relationship and Cousins respects him. This is why Dennison's future hinges on Cousins coming to Buffalo.  If Dennison is fired then you will know Cousins is not coming.

Why wouldn't we wait until he is released so we do not have to trade draft picks - we would have to compete with 31 other teams for his services.   If we can trade for him, we have our QB.  We would not trade for Cousins unless a long-term deal could be worked out.  It will be expensive 25million + plus numerous draft picks.  The package we heard is outrageous so we want to confirm before we share.  Again, McDermott loves Cousins (Preparation and commitment)

Where will the money come from?  Tyrod will be traded or released after the season.  Two landing spots are Jacksonville or Denver.  Wont get much  if they wont trade a 6th or 7, he will be released.  Glenn will be traded or released.  The problem is his health that is why Beane tried so hard to trade him before the deadline.  Wont get much for him but will be a salary dump. If Kyle does come back which is highly likely at this point, it will be at a reduced salary, our fullback will be released, we are stuck with Clay.

If this does not work out, 50-50 chance, we may go after Alex Smith.  He will still be 20 million plus too but we wont have to give up as much to the Chiefs.(3rd and 7th is what we would offer)  If those both go south, we will make Peterman our #1 and will sign an experienced quarterback to compete with him or back him up.  The bills are paying close attention to what happens in Minnesota.  The only qb they like in the first round his Darnold.

I know many people on this board are saying Cousins is not worth 20+ million dollars.  I don't disagree but the reality is that a franchise or supposedly franchise quarterback will be north of 20 million.  Heck, the Bears gave Glennon 18 million to hold a clipboard.  We are used to a paying peanuts for our quarterback and that is why we have not reached the playoffs.  More to come.

Daily updates from OBD. Donnie you're like a loosely connected hose, always leaking. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We don't have a 7th to offer. Unless you mean a 2019 7th, which is practically worthless.

fat fingered.  sorry

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm confused you when you said the Skins will probably let Cousins walk but want something in return.  Letting him walk means they let him walk.

It would be a sign and trade

14 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Where will the money come from?  Tyrod will be traded or released after the seasonTwo landing spots are Jacksonville or Denver.  Wont get much  if they wont trade a 6th or 7, he will be released.  Glenn will be traded or released.  The problem is his health that is why Beane tried so hard to trade him before the deadline.  Wont get much for him but will be a salary dump. If Kyle does come back which is highly likely at this point, it will be at a reduced salary, our fullback will be released, we are stuck with Clay.

Is Jax actively looking for another QB at this point?  Kind of wondering why they think that Tyrod would be a fit. 

20 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Cousins would not mind being reunited with Dennison (Connection to WNY). They have an excellent relationship and Cousins respects him. This is why Dennison's future hinges on Cousins coming to Buffalo.  If Dennison is fired then you will know Cousins is not coming.

Where did they connect? I've not seen anything that Cousins and Dennison have worked together. So where is this connection coming from?

33 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Shady, can I ask you one simple question.  Why do you follow me and read my postings?  There are so many other ones to read.

I don't follow you.  I "follow" TBD members laughing at your lies. 

As to reading your replies.  We all need a laugh now and then.   It's not hard to scan the first paragraph and pick out the trash and make a comment.  

And I never have to read past the first one. 

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm confused you when you said the Skins will probably let Cousins walk but want something in return.  Letting him walk means they let him walk.

No, no.  They let him walk, then expect something in return .  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Don,

Keep in mind that many of the "fans" giving you a hard time on this board have an "interest" in discrediting leakers. They are not really fans and are in fact employees. Their goal is to frustrate you, get you to leave, get you in a fight, and convince neutral readers that you have already been discredited. 

The best defense is to not engage them in any way. Just know that there are many people here who appreciate your input. Please continue with the information you have.

Edited by musichunch

4 minutes ago, musichunch said:

Don,

Keep in mind that many of the "fans" giving you a hard time on this board have an "interest" in discrediting leakers. They are not really fans and are in fact employees. Their goal is to frustrate you, get you to leave, get you in a fight, and convince neutral readers that you have already been discredited. 

The best defense is to not engage them in any way. Just know that there are many people here who appreciate your input. Please continue with the information you have.

thank you

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Why wouldn't we wait until he is released so we do not have to trade draft picks - we would have to compete with 31 other teams for his services.   If we can trade for him, we have our QB.  We would not trade for Cousins unless a long-term deal could be worked out.  It will be expensive 25million + plus numerous draft picks.  The package we heard is outrageous so we want to confirm before we share

Good stuff Don, thanks. Not sure how I feel about using draft picks and a high salary for Cousins. I get it, skip the whole draft a crap shoot QB idea, but less draft capital to build around Cousins would kind of suck. I'm still for it though. Solve our QB issue for the next decade and this regime has shown a good eye for talent so I would feel good about it, depending on how much we have to give up to Washington.

One thing I don't get, if we're done with Tyrod why not start Peterman the rest of the year? We're risking an injury to someone we could trade who we have no need to evaluate further. I guess if the team leadership council wants Tyrod to start McDermott wouldn't have a choice.

Edited by HappyDays