NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t understand how the Bills would be a perfect fit for Mayfield when we don’t even run the read option...how has Mayfield shown he could play in a WCO?

Style of play. Mayfield is extremely accurate and gets rid of the ball quickly. His timing with receivers fits Dennison's offense way better than Tyrod. Mayfield throws receivers opens and doesn't just wait for a WR to be wide open. And he has the athletic ability to extend plays and most importantly is just as accurate on the run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not surprised someone from Dunkirk would say this.

This maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read.

If you can get around the questionable grammar and/ or keyboarding skills the overall point is pretty much spot on truth. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

If Mayfield wins the Heisman - which he probably will - that will inflate his draft position even more...and no way he lasts past the top ten.

No one cares about the Heisman Trophy when it comes to draft positioning and where a player will be selected. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No one cares about the Heisman Trophy when it comes to draft positioning and where a player will be selected. 

...the Heisman?...LMAO.....Downtown Athletic Club voters are defrosted from the cryovac status, vote either RB or QB and then are re-frozen until next year.....trophy is nothing more than a dust collector........

• Like (+1) 1

i hope we draft him. if we don't beat the pats 10-6 is not likely.....which is what it's gonna take to get in,so  not sure where our draft position would be but if darnold is in and some team loves lamar jackson...throw in rosen ,allen and rudolph, just maybe he falls to us. if we have to trade up a few spots ,i'd rather use next year's 1st to do it. i really hope we can hang on to that 2nd 1st and both 2's and the 3 because we can really fill the basket with talent this year.

just think of that..mayfield...another 1st and so on. this could be what the process is all about. if they start giving up picks for 2 or 3 players.....

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

..so as some suggested that Rudolph may fall to the 2nd, would you go OL/DL or DL/OL with the two 1sts and look for Rudolph in the 2nd?.......much debate about his skill set versus Mayfield but he does have size and is devoid of Mayfield indiscretions which may not fit the "McD mold"...you'd potentially fill three voids with your top three picks....thoughts?....

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I compare him to a better version of Case Keenum who happens to be having an excellent season. Mayfield is a bit more athletic and wears his emotions on his sleeve more. Mayfield is as talented as Manziel and if he channels his emotions could have the leadership of Tebow. That is legit the perfect combination

Rosen is likely to go first overall and Darnold needs to return for another season. He was much worse than people we're expecting... His expectations were just too high after his freshman year. If Darnold left school now he would be a INT machine

Might be an INT machine, but he'd also go in the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so as some suggested that Rudolph may fall to the 2nd, would you go OL/DL or DL/OL with the two 1sts and look for Rudolph in the 2nd?.......much debate about his skill set versus Mayfield but he does have size and is devoid of Mayfield indiscretions which may not fit the "McD mold"...you'd potentially fill three voids with your top three picks....thoughts?....

They are going qb with their first pick 

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I compare him to a better version of Case Keenum who happens to be having an excellent season. Mayfield is a bit more athletic and wears his emotions on his sleeve more. Mayfield is as talented as Manziel and if he channels his emotions could have the leadership of Tebow. That is legit the perfect combination

Rosen is likely to go first overall and Darnold needs to return for another season. He was much worse than people we're expecting... His expectations were just too high after his freshman year. If Darnold left school now he would be a INT machine

Manziel has no talents that could be translated to the NFL level and neither did Tebow.. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Manziel has no talents that could be translated to the NFL level and neither did Tebow.. 

...to his credit, Tebow worked his azz off with unmatched dedication and ethics, spent mega bucks on personal trainers all of which unfortunately did not work out.....putting him in the same sentence as Johnny Meatball is an undeserved travesty....Meatball spent equal time in bars.....a puke...........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...to his credit, Tebow worked his azz off with unmatched dedication and ethics, spent mega bucks on personal trainers all of which unfortunately did not work out.....putting him in the same sentence as Johnny Meatball is an undeserved travesty....Meatball spent equal time in bars.....a puke...........

Agreed. Definitely have to differentiate them in that regard as 180 degree polar opposites. 

7 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

...with their BEST early on draft capital in years, it becomes even more intriguing.....QB as THE 1st round pick, or as A 1st round pick, or as A pick (1st three rounds).....who the hell knows?....stay tuned....

1 hour ago, westerndecline said:

No excuses

If he's their guy, MAKE IT HAPPEN

I mean, it depends also what they do in FA. Mayfield should be everyone's guy imo. He's the most proven QB and he's done it consistently for 3 years. I just don't think he escapes the top 5 and I don't see the QB needy teams willing to trade out. The Browns, the Giants, the Broncos, the Jets, they will all be looking QB early. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I mean, it depends also what they do in FA. Mayfield should be everyone's guy imo. He's the most proven QB and he's done it consistently for 3 years. I just don't think he escapes the top 5 and I don't see the QB needy teams willing to trade out. The Browns, the Giants, the Broncos, the Jets, they will all be looking QB early. 

....so does this gang expend valuable draft capital to move into the top 5 to get him?......strictly my opinion, but I don't see them making that bold a more versus preserving capital...

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so does this gang expend valuable draft capital to move into the top 5 to get him?......strictly my opinion, but I don't see them making that bold a more versus preserving capital...

I don't think they will have a partner willing in the top 5 with the QB needy teams is my point. I don't expect much shifting over the last 4 weeks. Between Cleveland, Denver, and the Giants that is 3 QB's in likely the first 4 picks. 

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with their BEST early on draft capital in years, it becomes even more intriguing.....QB as THE 1st round pick, or as A 1st round pick, or as A pick (1st three rounds).....who the hell knows?....stay tuned....

If u want a prediction

1- qb mason Rudolph

1- g Quentin Nelson

2- cb donte Jackson lsu

2- vita vea nt Washington

3- wadley rb Iowa

3 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

If u want a prediction

1- qb mason Rudolph

1- g Quentin Nelson

2- cb donte Jackson lsu

2- vita vea nt Washington

3- wadley rb Iowa

God I hope not. Rudolph is not going to be a good NFL QB. 

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

i'm thinking we should only have to go up 2 to 3 spots and hopefully be able to use the first and next year's first... and maybe a late rounder....or a trade could also bolster the pot, such as shady or tyrod and cordy. i'd rather keep shady around ,but we had better find a high quality no. 2 to than can handle half the load. we need to hit it in this draft. think about what we could get for tt and glenn....a couple of two's? this is going to be the best draft/off season ever.

this is going to be historical!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

...NOT questioning your assessment...I don't get to see college ball....can you provide your insight as to his shortcomings which lead you to believe this...appreciated....

42 minutes ago, H2o said:

There's no way he goes top 5 with his "character" questions, his size, & the fact there are high school conferences with better defenses than the big 12.

im so mixed on the guy but there are a ton of guys every year who put up stats on college that never amount to anything in the NFL.

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

How can you possibly say that with certainty?   At this point, id bet on his chances of success more than BM's but it's kinda crazy to say anything firmly in terms of qbs.

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm thinking we should only have to go up 2 to 3 spots and hopefully be able to use the first and next year's first... and maybe a late rounder....or a trade could also bolster the pot, such as shady or tyrod and cordy. i'd rather keep shady around ,but we had better find a high quality no. 2 to than can handle half the load. we need to hit it in this draft. think about what we could get for tt and glenn....a couple of two's? this is going to be the best draft/off season ever.

I just want them to get their qb

14 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

...interesting propositions and thanks for sharing....historical?......#1: when is the last time Buffalo had this type of draft capital in recent memory?...#2: When is the last time Buffalo had a formidable scout staff (at least on paper) comprised of several high ranking personnel boyz assembled by Beane under Pegula's "no expense spared" salary limitations?.....although the fruits of their pickings may not be readily evident for a couple of years,  you can still get a semblance of whether their picks make potential sense or not....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 11/30/2017 at 6:12 AM, JMF2006 said:

He's taller than Alf ;)

BTW I think Drew Brees proved you don't need to be 6'3"-6'5" to play in the NFL

Russell Wilson proved that you don't even have to be 6'0 to play in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NOT questioning your assessment...I don't get to see college ball....can you provide your insight as to his shortcomings which lead you to believe this...appreciated....

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How can you possibly say that with certainty?   At this point, id bet on his chances of success more than BM's but it's kinda crazy to say anything firmly in terms of qbs.

Seen Rudolph play a more than a few times over the last couple of years. He has an NFL group of WR's who bail him out often, Washington especially. Seen Rudolph lock on to one guy or one side of the field. Also from what I see and he's not as accurate as Mayfield. Pressure rattles him and he will make some errant throws he won't get away with at the next level, passes he tries to force because he is under duress. He also doesn't throw the ball that well on the move. He has trouble squaring up enough to throw an accurate ball when doing so. He has good size and a decent enough arm, but I don't see him being a good NFL QB. He surely isn't worthy of a 1st Round pick. The video game stats he puts up don't tell the whole story. He is a mid-late day 2 prospect imo who could be similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick type of QB. 

On 11/30/2017 at 12:25 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I recall legions of TSW "scouts" saying the same thing about Deshawn Watson a year ago---the INTs and "accuracy issues".

This is a non problem.  The kid's a confident playmaker.

Watson looked good but he played in exactly 7 games.  The number of QBs who have looked great for fewer than 10 games as first time starters and then tanked are legion.  Most recently and spectacularly are Brock Osweiler and Colin Kaepernick,  which why it takes at least two and sometimes three years to decide if a QB is truly a keeper.

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

Seen Rudolph play a more than a few times over the last couple of years. He has an NFL group of WR's who bail him out often, Washington especially. Seen Rudolph lock on to one guy or one side of the field. Also from what I see and he's not as accurate as Mayfield. Pressure rattles him and he will make some errant throws he won't get away with at the next level, passes he tries to force because he is under duress. He also doesn't throw the ball that well on the move. He has trouble squaring up enough to throw an accurate ball when doing so. He has good size and a decent enough arm, but I don't see him being a good NFL QB. He surely isn't worthy of a 1st Round pick. The video game stats he puts up don't tell the whole story. He is a mid-late day 2 prospect imo who could be similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick type of QB. 

....thanks for a solid assessment...much appreciated bud..........

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The knocks on Rudolph generally:

- The offense he plays in is VERY QB friendly

- The WRs are really good and definitely help bail him out 

- Average arm strength

- Smaller hands

Edited by JM57

On 11/30/2017 at 7:26 PM, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The 80’s and early 90’s was a much different era as well. The 90’s Bills comparisons just don’t work work for me. Successful QB’s in the current NFL tend to not be drunkards, coke heads, abusers, and troublemakers.

In addition, rumors are far easier to face than legit accusations. We live in an age of 24/7 meda coverage. Everything these guys do goes public. This eventually catches up with them, and creates distractions. The type of distractions that you’d prefer a franchise QB not to have. This is where I worry about Mayfield. I see the potential for a career to be derailed by distractions. Buffalonians talking behind Jimbo’s back wasn’t the same type of distraction. 

Every violation of the rules is not a "character flaw".  College kids drink.  They smoke pot.  They go out and get rowdy, and sometimes run afoul of the law.  As long as they don't make that kind of behavior habit, then they likely will grow out of it and go on to lead normal, sober adult lives ... just like most of us stoned rock n rollers from the 60s did.   Heavy drinking and drug use by young professionals, whether athletes or not, in their late twenties and early thirties when they should be focused on their careers and/or families is far more serious even if it was/is "only" rumor, especially when twenty or thirty years ago bad behavior by professional athletes was often covered up or ignored even by law enforcement.

I just think it's as unfair to condemn collegiate athletes for occasionally engaging in petty misconduct common to the student population as it is to ignore/mitigate much more serious actions, whether legal or illegal, they might engage in that indicates they might have serious attitude/personality problems.  

2 hours ago, westerndecline said:

Agreed.  They will take one even if he's not all that good just to say they took one.  I just hope they don't trade up to take one just to take one like they did for Losman.  :doh:

In my opinion,  if we cannot trade up for Darnold or Rosen we should draft to our needs and take a QB in a later round.#2 ,#3 or #4. We still have Peterman , who as a poster a few posts before said you cannot tell about a QB until they have played more than , i believe he said 10 games or more. I would hope Karma would strike the Bill's and have 2 QB's that are deemed to be starters , but i will settle for one. 

52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Every violation of the rules is not a "character flaw".  College kids drink.  They smoke pot.  They go out and get rowdy, and sometimes run afoul of the law.  As long as they don't make that kind of behavior habit, then they likely will grow out of it and go on to lead normal, sober adult lives ... just like most of us stoned rock n rollers from the 60s did.   Heavy drinking and drug use by young professionals, whether athletes or not, in their late twenties and early thirties when they should be focused on their careers and/or families is far more serious even if it was/is "only" rumor, especially when twenty or thirty years ago bad behavior by professional athletes was often covered up or ignored even by law enforcement.

I just think it's as unfair to condemn collegiate athletes for occasionally engaging in petty misconduct common to the student population as it is to ignore/mitigate much more serious actions, whether legal or illegal, they might engage in that indicates they might have serious attitude/personality problems.  

Agreed.  They will take one even if he's not all that good just to say they took one.  I just hope they don't trade up to take one just to take one like they did for Losman.  :doh:

My issue is that Mayfield hasn’t shown the ability to learn from his mistakes. It’s a continual pattern of behavior. Dak Prescott made off field mistakes, but he learned. He didn’t continue to act like a classless buffoon. Future franchise QB’s are guys who have the spotlight on them at all times.  They aren’t your run of the mill young professional, or college student. College athletes at the level of Mayfield are pros without the pay. They have millions of dollars at stake. How many college students can say that?

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

And had hot women drooling over him that he wouldn't bang...

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

The knocks on Rudolph generally:

- The offense he plays in is VERY QB friendly

- The WRs are really good and definitely help bail him out 

- Average arm strength

- Smaller hands

Arm strength is largely irrelevant in college unless its terrible...it can and does improve quite a bit in the NFL once they get in the leg room and get better training as far as using their lower body to drive the ball

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

In my opinion,  if we cannot trade up for Darnold or Rosen we should draft to our needs and take a QB in a later round.#2 ,#3 or #4. We still have Peterman , who as a poster a few posts before said you cannot tell about a QB until they have played more than , i believe he said 10 games or more. I would hope Karma would strike the Bill's and have 2 QB's that are deemed to be starters , but i will settle for one. 

10 games of success... no one is owed 10 games of failure.

Peterman is awful, the game is too fast for him at the NFL level. Let it go, I know you all wanted him and zay to light it up after there preseason. But they are both trending in the wrong direction, even with Zays improvement over the last few games he played.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:15 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Weird someone around here (me) has been saying this for months...often mocked and flamed for it too with people saying he's a 2nd rounder and we will take a guy in the first.  

Well, Baker is not only going to go in the first, he could easily go top 10 and Bills may now need to trade up to get him.  

If we got him in the 2nd that would be a dream come true, but as you say probably going top 10. Let's hope for for a KC collapse and and we can use their pick to get him.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1