End zone celebrations

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Really?  What exactly does it say about me?  I am an older fan, who was brought up in an age where team was more important than the individual, who was taught good sportsmanship and to not embarrass the other team, to not draw attention to oneself over the team.

I am glad I learned those values, and that I have carried them with me over the years.  As I have said a number of times now, if you are younger (or even older) and like this stuff, fine.  I don't.  Why can't that also be fine?

Perhaps your post says something about you if you are unable to acknowledge that people can have differing opinions on a given subject. 

Something something, values, something something. Its a football GAME. GAMES are supposed to be fun.

Again if something like a TD celebration bothers you, I can only imagine how real life stresses you out.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

On a side note; if this kind of stuff bothers you, it says a lot about you as a person.

LOL. It doesn't "bother me" at all. Like others in here, I'm just giving my opinion in a forum where that's what everybody does, 24/7.

I would guess that the other folks who also think that these "celebrations" are lame & stupid, are also not "bothered" by them, they're just expressing their opinion on what they see.  I can personally think that a lot of things in life are lame, but it doesn't "bother me"; I just think it and move on.

I also believe that you should try to have "fun" in virtually everything you do in life, so if they're having fun, then that's great! But most of the celebrations are still lame. It is what it is.

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Really?  What exactly does it say about me?  I am an older fan, who was brought up in an age where team was more important than the individual, who was taught good sportsmanship and to not embarrass the other team, to not draw attention to oneself over the team.

I am glad I learned those values, and that I have carried them with me over the years.  As I have said a number of times now, if you are younger (or even older) and like this stuff, fine.  I don't.  Why can't that also be fine?

Perhaps your post says something about you if you are unable to acknowledge that people can have differing opinions on a given subject. 

I'm gonna take a guess that if all games were televised , social media was around, endorsements.... your(our) generation would do many of the same things.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Kids sports are supposed to teach them about teamwork, dealing with success and failure, etc.  The kind of NFL showboating sends the wrong message to kids, that it's about the individual vs. team.  Far too prevalent in society as a whole right now.

No it doesn't. You conveniently fail to mention every other aspect of the game, practice, minicamps, training camps... which are all about the team.

First half of the season: 'If you want to protest, you have to do it the way we want you to.'

Second half of the season: 'If you want to celebrate a touchdown, you have to do it the way we want you to.'

There is a segment of society that just cant operate on a daily basis without something to complain about. And, yes, you have the right be an unhappy sod about it. I just cant imagine living my life that way. Although, the people who refuse to use turning signals can go die in a fire...

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And will be the highest paid member on the staff :lol:

They should be focusing on how to attack the defense next, these glee performances are a complete waste of time.

But I’m pretty sure most offenses can focus on attacking defenses while still doing a celebration.  If you can’t get in the end zone you have far bigger issues than your celebrations.

57 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Something something, values, something something. Its a football GAME. GAMES are supposed to be fun.

Again if something like a TD celebration bothers you, I can only imagine how real life stresses you out.

It doesn't stress me out.  Why would you say that?  I just don't like that crap.  Doesn't mean I sit and scream at the TV when they do that, or that I don't watch the games or anything.

Over-react much?

48 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm gonna take a guess that if all games were televised , social media was around, endorsements.... your(our) generation would do many of the same things.

No it doesn't. You conveniently fail to mention every other aspect of the game, practice, minicamps, training camps... which are all about the team.

Well, games were televised back in the 60's when I was playing Pee Wee football, and the players didn't do these celebrations.  Nor did my teams.  Our coaches would have killed us, then our parents would have stomped on the remains. 

I agree there are a lot of team things that are done.  So why not continue that with celebrations?

I have said a number of times now that if you like it that's fine.  I just don't.  Why is that so hard for some to accept?

Cripes, what is this, baseball? They're supposed to hang their heads in shame and slowly trot back to the bench after a touchdown/homerun, so as not to hurt the other team's pwecious wittle feefees? Boo.

Don't like it, keep 'em out of the end zone. 

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

Cripes, what is this, baseball? They're supposed to hang their heads in shame and slowly trot back to the bench after a touchdown/homerun, so as not to hurt the other team's pwecious wittle feefees? Boo.

Don't like it, keep 'em out of the end zone. 

No.  Just hand the ball to the ref like it's no big deal that you scored against the other team's defense.  That would speak louder to the D I think vs. the celebrations. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Perhaps they should have taught defenses to keep the opposing teams out of the end zone back then.

That's how you save yourself from "being embarrassed."

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps they should have taught defenses to keep the opposing teams out of the end zone back then.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

True.  But I'd be more down personally if a guy just handed the ball over like it was no big deal beating me and my team.  The excessive celebrations would tick me off and make me want to play harder if I'm the opposition

I certainly don't give a hoot about any of the celebrations but like others here just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.

Personally all this crap about how it's a game is just that crap.  It's a game to us, for the players it's their job.  These are professional athletes I expect them to act professional and IMO these endzone celebrations are not professional.

IMO all they have done is their job. A receiver catches the ball and it happens to be in the endzone it was still their job to catch the ball, nothing more.  Same as an RB or a QB or any other position, they are doing their job.  PERIOD.

Then when you think that a good portion of the time the celebrration ends up meaning nothing in the end.  What good is celebrating a TD when your team loses?  Your team lost why are you celebrating.  How many times do you see some fool get up after a catch or long run and the player will give the first down signal when their team is losing by 20 points, or when a defensive player celebrates a sack and 2 plays later the other team has a first down and 7 plays after that they score a TD which means the sack meant nothing, so what were they celebrating.

Also if there is one thing I have learned in my 57 years of life is that a persons performance will mirror their attitude to the task.  Meaning that if a player is out their to have fun then they will lose to a player that is taking it as a business, as their job.  Examples: During Tiger Woods prime do you think he thought of golf as a game or do you think he took it as a business and the way he earned his living.  You can ask this question about any great athlete ever.  It was not game to them it was a business and their living and that was their attitude and that is one of the reasons they were or are great.

4 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

They are not grown men, they are spoiled children...

By grown men I meant they are Men who are in their 20s and 30s in which alot of them have kids or are married ,and they provide for their families. 

I don't know if spolied is the right word as nobody handed them a job in the NFL, but ungrateful could probably sum up a lot of players

Edited by billsfan11

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

True. I remember. But overall, it seems we don't do much of those celebrations, compared to rest of league.

That's more about the Bills not getting in the End Zone often enough. :unsure:  Maybe the Special Teams FG unit should pose in the End Zone after Hausch Money puts them through from 50+ yards out.  :D

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Strange how enthusiastic they can be for a celebration but somehow can't get it together to stand at attention for the National Anthem?  Total lack of maturity and respect!

In both situations they are doing exactly what they planned on doing. So they can 'get it together', it's just not how you want them to 'get it together' . Total lack of maturity and respect on your part.

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

By grown men I meant they are Men who are in their 20s and 30s in which alot of them have kids or are married ,and they provide for their families. 

I don't know if spolied is the right word as nobody handed them a job in the NFL, but ungrateful could probably sum up a lot of players

They are ungrateful because they celebrate a touchdown? Since they have kids they should act stoic all the time and not have fun?  I think you are really overthinking this whole thing.

On a slight aside-- Notice when Eichel scored the other night, practically no reaction, not even a smile. Made me think about Lafontaine who was the happiest guy in the arena whenever he or anyone else scored. I thought Lafontaine was one of the greatest competitors we ever had in Buffalo, his enthusiasm for being successful showed that. It's ok to be celebrate. No real harm.

"stop enjoying things that I don't like! reeeee"

Sounds like some of you never played Football when you were a kid, or at all for that matter :lol: nothing wrong with celebrations, do you want the players to act like soulless robots on the field?

"ok, touchdown, hand ball to ref, back to huddle, back to sideline, sir yes sir!" 

I sure don't.

It doesn't bother me. I do agree that it's kinda pointless on a good play that doesn't really effect the outcome.

Like you just make a game changing play that brought your team from losing to winning. Then it looks good.

When you make a good play but your team's still down by multiple scores it kinda looks dopey to celebrate like you just won the game.

I think it comes down to time and place to celebrate. So I halfway agree with the op. I think celebration can be over done and misplaced but I'm not against it. 

Edited by Lfod

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

In both situations they are doing exactly what they planned on doing. So they can 'get it together', it's just not how you want them to 'get it together' . Total lack of maturity and respect on your part.

They are ungrateful because they celebrate a touchdown? Since they have kids they should act stoic all the time and not have fun?  I think you are really overthinking this whole thing.

On a slight aside-- Notice when Eichel scored the other night, practically no reaction, not even a smile. Made me think about Lafontaine who was the happiest guy in the arena whenever he or anyone else scored. I thought Lafontaine was one of the greatest competitors we ever had in Buffalo, his enthusiasm for being successful showed that. It's ok to be celebrate. No real harm.

No, no that's not what I am getting at. I didn't mean to say they are ungrateful because they celebrate touchdowns. Someone brought up they are like spoiled children and I responded in a different topic all together. I see how you thought that's what I was referring to though

When it comes to touchdown celebrations, my view on them is "act like you've been there before". I don't find it necessary to dance every time you score a TD as I think it's immature and non professional, but nothing to do with being ungrateful. That word was meant for a different subject all together.

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

No, no that's not what I am getting at. I didn't mean to say they are ungrateful because they celebrate touchdowns. Someone brought up they are like spoiled children and I responded in a different topic all together. I see how you thought that's what I was referring to though

When it comes to touchdown celebrations, my view on them is "act like you've been there before". I don't find it necessary to dance every time you score a TD as I think it's immature and non professional, but nothing to do with being ungrateful. That word was meant for a different subject all together.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I used to hate all displays on the field, from celebrations to praying during the game. Before this thread came out, I was thinking while watching some celebrations and decided, no big deal, they're having fun. It's a few seconds a levity that harms no one. That's my view. I don't even watch most of the celebrations, so it's really no problem for me.  I'd prefer this to the image of a player screaming at the camera like they want to kill you after making a play.

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I used to hate all displays on the field, from celebrations to praying during the game. Before this thread came out, I was thinking while watching some celebrations and decided, no big deal, they're having fun. It's a few seconds a levity that harms no one. That's my view. I don't even watch most of the celebrations, so it's really no problem for me.  I'd prefer this to the image of a player screaming at the camera like they want to kill you after making a play.

Fair enough. I cant say I agree with your views on them but everyone is different and I am sure a lot of people are more like you and either don't mind/ enjoy them.

My favourite was Barry Sanders where he would just give the ball to the ref after like a 90 yard TD. And I hate to say this cause I don't like Lynch, but his celebrations where he will shake all the o lineman's hands. I just think that displays more a team concept instead of a "look at me", or "look at us" type of deal.

Just my personal views on them, I am sure most people agree with you.

Edited by billsfan11

7 hours ago, 87168 said:

a whole tread dedicated to the dislike of td celebrations...

if you don't like them, leave. sound familiar?

please. get off your high horse. read a book. gain some perspective, leave your arm chair and expose yourself to different viewpoints. it's not hard. don't be afraid.

some people are given natural rhythm, and better coordination. let's leave high fives to the people who need to stare at an elbow in order not to miss.

i'm sure you've missed many.

Bite ME!  There is no high horse.  Have you ever served your country, or anyone else for that matter??  Or is it alt about you?  Don't ever think I would be afraid of some self centered moronic, ill conceived  point of view!

I don't mind something that expresses immediate emotion (a spike, or a quick gesture), but planned out multi-player skits ring false. The Chiefs "family photo" was ridiculous, especially because they were losing. It implies that they are only looking for attention, and personal goals, like they don't really have their head in the game enough to get over an immediate gratification. 

I'm sure many love it, I think it's trashy. But then I think DIY spoilers on Corollas are trashy. I think Tattoos are trashy. I think pretending to pee like a dog after a TD is trashy. Pretty soon it will be guys pretending to do it doggie style. "What? It's just a celebration! What are you homophobic?"

I favor going to the old Rock 'n Jock Super Bowl rule.  After a TD, the player goes to the designated spot in EZ and performs TD celebration.  A panel of judges awards the participant 1, 2, or 3 extra point(s). Bonus is it will replace the extra point play.

Could be a marketing Bonanza for the league. The Pepsi celebration Zone with Adam Levine or Carmen Electra or Simon or Donald Trump , or ... doing the judging.

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't really care enough about them for it to annoy me. The ones that are good, amuse me. The bad ones - who cares. The point is the players don't deserve to be restricted for no reason. 

What does that mean? "Deserve"...why do they "deserve" to be able to celebrate however they want? Its a game, with rules, not a street corner. There are plenty of things they aren't allowed to do on the field, that are perfectly legal off the field. It's nonsense.

Not nonsense at all. The players are pros. They should be able to celebrate. This isn't college or pee wee. Why exactly SHOULD there be arbitrary rules in place about celebrations if they don't affect the game itself? The rule was dumb and pulling it back was the right thing. Whether or not you enjoy the celebrations is pretty irrelevant.

Anyone here "look forward" to seeing a celebration? Like, "ooh, I want to see what Ocho Cinco does this time"?

Anyone? I would like to know the mindset of the posters here. 

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Not nonsense at all. The players are pros. They should be able to celebrate. This isn't college or pee wee. Why exactly SHOULD there be arbitrary rules in place about celebrations if they don't affect the game itself? The rule was dumb and pulling it back was the right thing. Whether or not you enjoy the celebrations is pretty irrelevant.

To keep the focus on the game, and to keep players focused on the game. Why do schools with uniforms perform better than schools without? 

Anything that happens ON the field, affects the game.

You won't change my mind. You are free to enjoy the spectacle. I don't.

7 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Anyone here "look forward" to seeing a celebration? Like, "ooh, I want to see what Ocho Cinco does this time"?

Anyone? I would like to know the mindset of the posters here. 

I love the Gronk spikes every time he does them.  He's probably my favorite player in the league.

I wonder how Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarik or Ray Nitschke would react to these "celebrations."  Count me among the old bastards who think they're a bit over the top.  If I want this type of "fun," I'll watch European soccer on Saturday morning.  That Chiefs celebration yesterday while they were STILL BEHIND IN THE GAME was a joke. 

Be like HOFer Thurman Thomas: "Act like you've been there before."

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love the Gronk spikes every time he does them.  He's probably my favorite player in the league.

Spikes are fine. I like them. And Gronkowski's are fine (another thing I don't like are nicknames. K2, TO, Ocho Cinco...it reeks of marketing).

I don't really buy into the "act like you've been there" either. It sounds like you are trying hard to act above it all, or making great show of your humility.

Like I said, immediate, natural, emotional displays are cool. 

Edited by OJABBA

Just now, OJABBA said:

Spikes are fine. I like them. And Gronkowski's are fine (another thing I don't like are nicknames. K2, TO, Ocho Cinco...it reeks of marketing).

I don't like Jr., Sr., II, III or fake hyphenated names on the backs of jerseys.

Unless your father and grandfather are ON THE CURRENT ROSTER WITH YOU, there is no reason to have III after your name.

It's stupid.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't like Jr., Sr., II, III or fake hyphenated names on the backs of jerseys.

Unless your father and grandfather are ON THE CURRENT ROSTER WITH YOU, there is no reason to have III after your name.

It's stupid.

"K2" bothered me because he was such an overhyped, self-aggrandizing douche (as was his father, though he was one of the greats). "TO" was pure marketing, and I cringed whenever broadcasters used it, catering to his ego.

Edited by OJABBA

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is just an outrageous abomination and a stain on the game of football which is a serious matter of life and death. 

Nah, I ain't biting. That was quick and cool. Not at all like some family photo, with guys trying to remember what to do, and thinking "we are just so funny".

That looked like a personal little celebration between teammates, not a big display for the cameras.