Nate Peterman's performance against the Chargers

SDS

Which QB starts in Week 11?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB starts in Week 11?

• Nate Peterman
    • Tyrod Taylor

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe already mentioned but I now remember a similar QB performance in the nfl. Geno vs the Bills in 2014 at MetLife. He had 4 picks in the 1st qtr I believe.

Negative.

Geno did have a horrid outing in 2013 vs the Bills, but it took him 3Q to rack up 3 INTs.  He did add in a couple fumbles and wind up with a rating of 10, though, so good recollection of another Horrid QB performance.  Aside: Did you know Geno is still in the league?  I didn't.

I can't find any game where Smith had 4 INTs, much less in the 1st Q, and I dug into his gamelogs too

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Negative.

Geno did have a horrid outing in 2013 vs the Bills, but it took him 3Q to rack up 3 INTs.  He did add in a couple fumbles and wind up with a rating of 10, though, so good recollection of another Horrid QB performance.  Aside: Did you know Geno is still in the league?  I didn't.

I can't find any game where Smith had 4 INTs, much less in the 1st Q, and I dug into his gamelogs too

Hey - Peterman fumbled too! (He recovered it, however.)

23 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

And Tyrod had those receivers for how many games?

Benjamin = 1

Matthews = 8 (5 W), though potentially hampered for some

Clay = 5 games, then out until NO

Since we're counting, TT has had Matthews and Clay together for 4 games

It's not that we don't have some talent at WR, but not enough on the field at the same time.

22 minutes ago, Luka said:

Pointing out that there is plenty of talent in the receiving corps and I hadn't even drilled down to Clay and O'Leary. Doesn't matter which QB is out there, they both are inept in their own, obvious ways. Time to go all in this year and get a guy. I'm sick of blaming the rest of the team when it's one position we can't get production out of. We've turned over this roster multiple times and one constant remains. We have below average QB play, and the best you'll get is 9-7 or worse.

So here you and I have a point of agreement.  There is and was no need to evaluate Peterman.  There is a need to go all in at the QB position this year: draft, FA, any and every path. 

I do disagree on the "plenty of talent" in the receiving corps - it's not that there isn't some talent there, but we didn't start the season with all of it, and enough guys haven't been on the field at the same time.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

We needed to see what we had in Peterman, and now we have and now we know what direction we will go in the draft/free agency.

So sitting at 5-4 and in the playoff hunt, you inexplicably start a rookie 5th rounder "to see what he has"?  Really?  

What you should do is get the guy in games that are out of hand and/or you start him once the Bills are eliminated from the playoff picture.  

Like I've said before, McDermott's decision to start Peterman was, in my mind, a distraction to take the focus off how horrible the defense has been playing as of late.  JMO

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Benjamin = 1

Matthews = 8 (5 W), though potentially hampered for some

Clay = 5 games, then out until NO

Since we're counting, TT has had Matthews and Clay together for 4 games

It's not that we don't have some talent at WR, but not enough on the field at the same time.

So here you and I have a point of agreement.  There is and was no need to evaluate Peterman.  There is a need to go all in at the QB position this year: draft, FA, any and every path. 

I do disagree on the "plenty of talent" in the receiving corps - it's not that there isn't some talent there, but we didn't start the season with all of it, and enough guys haven't been on the field at the same time.

Better QBs have made more of much, much less. And you have to evaluate everyone. Peterman could've had a Matt Flynn kinda day, you sit him back down and now suddenly he's worth a second in the offseason. Hyperbole maybe, but these things have happened plenty of times in the past. What would be bad about drafting a guy, having him beat out a guy that other teams think looks good and now you've got some draft capital back.

It just blew up in their faces in epic, epic fashion.

21 minutes ago, Luka said:

Better QBs have made more of much, much less. And you have to evaluate everyone. Peterman could've had a Matt Flynn kinda day, you sit him back down and now suddenly he's worth a second in the offseason. Hyperbole maybe, but these things have happened plenty of times in the past. What would be bad about drafting a guy, having him beat out a guy that other teams think looks good and now you've got some draft capital back.

Really? Examples, please. And before you go digging out the Tom Brady info, nobody should be held to that as a standard.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

25 minutes ago, Luka said:

Better QBs have made more of much, much less.

Have they now.  I look forward to having you tell me about it.  Please do.  Who has done more, with much much less?

25 minutes ago, Luka said:

And you have to evaluate everyone. Peterman could've had a Matt Flynn kinda day, you sit him back down and now suddenly he's worth a second in the offseason. Hyperbole maybe, but these things have happened plenty of times in the past. What would be bad about drafting a guy, having him beat out a guy that other teams think looks good and now you've got some draft capital back.

Where DOES this notion come from?  You don't have to evaluate everyone, not in a game during the regular season.  That's what preseason and meaningless games at the end of the season are for.  The Chargers game-planned based on what they saw on film in preseason and it worked 3-2-1-liftoff. 

If our coaches needed to put a 5th round rookie in the game because they "couldn't evaluate him" otherwise, and needed to make up their minds whether to go for a franchise QB in the draft based on how a 5th round rookie looks in a few games, all I can say is their player evaluation skills are quite suspect for that.

You bring up Matt Flynn, which is an interesting point.  Flynn's first start was as a 3rd year player on a team that was 8-6 at that point with a #2 D and a top-10 O.  He knows the system thoroughly.  The receivers, the OL, ditto.  He steps in, he knows the plays, he knows the players, he takes a lot of sacks rather than risk an INT when he can't safely throw it away. 

The game you're talking about which gave Flynn trade value was his 4th year, playing on an even stronger team in an end of season game and he did better.  Less sacks, more completions.

I suppose it could happen that if you took Flynn and flung him into a new system with WR who are barely familiar with it, he'd have looked glorious, but I do doubt it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Really? Examples, please. And before you go digging out the Tom Brady info, nobody should be held to that as a standard.

What have Green Bay's receivers done lately? What are their names without googling them? How about the Saints? Tedd Ginn Jr was a journeyman before having a guy that could put the ball on him accurately and consistently. How about Stafford? Still putting up numbers without Megatron, wonder how he would feel with Matthews, Benjamin and Clay at tight end.

Receivers do not make a QB better, it's the other way around. Find me a hall of fame wideout that had middling QB talent his entire career. Chris Carter is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Jerry Rice had freakin Joe Montana and Steve Young. Our boy Andre had Kelly.

Just now, Luka said:

What have Green Bay's receivers done lately? What are their names without googling them? How about the Saints? Tedd Ginn Jr was a journeyman before having a guy that could put the ball on him accurately and consistently. How about Stafford? Still putting up numbers without Megatron, wonder how he would feel with Matthews, Benjamin and Clay at tight end.

Receivers do not make a QB better, it's the other way around. Find me a hall of fame wideout that had middling QB talent his entire career. Chris Carter is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Jerry Rice had freakin Joe Montana and Steve Young. Our boy Andre had Kelly.

Jordy Nelson, Davonte Adams, Randall Cobb, Jeff Janis, and Geronimo Allison? I'd swap the top 3 for ours in a new york minute.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Have they now.  I look forward to having you tell me about it.  Please do.  Who has done more, with much much less?

Where DOES this notion come from?  You don't have to evaluate everyone, not in a game during the regular season.  That's what preseason and meaningless games at the end of the season are for.  The Chargers game-planned based on what they saw on film in preseason and it worked 3-2-1-liftoff. 

If our coaches needed to put a 5th round rookie in the game because they "couldn't evaluate him" otherwise, and needed to make up their minds whether to go for a franchise QB in the draft based on how a 5th round rookie looks in a few games, all I can say is their player evaluation skills are quite suspect for that.

You bring up Matt Flynn, which is an interesting point.  Flynn's first start was as a 3rd year player on a team that was 8-6 at that point with a #2 D and a top-10 O.  He knows the system thoroughly.  The receivers, the OL, ditto.  He steps in, he knows the plays, he knows the players, he takes a lot of sacks rather than risk an INT when he can't safely throw it away. 

The game you're talking about which gave Flynn trade value was his 4th year, playing on an even stronger team in an end of season game and he did better.  Less sacks, more completions.

I suppose it could happen that if you took Flynn and flung him into a new system with WR who are barely familiar with it, he'd have looked glorious, but I do doubt it.

What about our boy Rob Johnson? Or have you not been a fan that long?

And they did evaluate him in preseason and in practice and guess what, he started because of it. Imagine if they waited until next year, cut Taylor and Peterman had that game to open the season?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Jordy Nelson, Davonte Adams, Randall Cobb, Jeff Janis, and Geronimo Allison? I'd swap the top 3 for ours in a new york minute.

Why's that? They haven't been able to do much of anything without a real QB, which was my point all along. None of those guys are who they are without a REAL QB throwing them the football. They don't magically make Brett Hundley a good QB.

Edited by Luka

1 minute ago, Luka said:

What about our boy Rob Johnson? Or have you not been a fan that long?

And they did evaluate him in preseason and in practice and guess what, he started because of it. Imagine if they waited until next year, cut Taylor and Peterman had that game to open the season?

Rob Johnson?  OMG, please explain what more Rob Johnson did with less?  You define the year, the game, whatever you like.
(free hint: do names like Eric Moulds, Andre' Reed, Peerless Price, and Jay Riemersma ring a bell?)

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rob Johnson?  OMG, please explain what more Rob Johnson did with less?  You define the year, the game, whatever you like.
(free hint: do names like Eric Moulds, Andre' Reed, Peerless Price, and Jay Riemersma ring a bell?)

That was in reference to the Matt Flynn thing, not the other comment.

Calm down big guy, it's a message board. It's a discussion not a competition.

10 minutes ago, Luka said:

The topic is not who GB has at WR or whether WR make a QB better - we can discuss those interesting topics elsewhere if you like.

You're making the assertion that better QB than TT have done more with worse WR.  We're asking you for examples.  Go.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And I gave you Stafford and Brees.

Look you can disagree with me, I don't really care. But you've got nothing to backup your side from what I've seen. I give you examples, you want more examples. Look them up yourself, maybe you'll find something that totally flies in the face of what I've said. Worse, you might realize I have a point. Either way. I'm bored.

Edited by Luka

Just watched all of his throws.  I actually like the kid.  Few takeaways.  Peterman's first two passes were on the money and great reads/passes.  The first pass out of the shotgun to Clay was a great read and quick throw.  Good placement.13:28 1st qtr.  2nd pass at 12:59 to Benjamin GREAT.  ON time; great placement.

Next pass attempt he scrambles. 12:30 1st qtr.

12:01 1st qtr the descent into hell begins - this should have been caught by DiMarco.  Pass was not made from an ideal posture though.  But still hit DiMarco in his hands and thus should have been caught.

Next pass to Holmes - not a bad read.  Had 1v1.  Overthrew it to live a next down. 10:54 1st

Next Pass Underthrown for an interception - did not trust the protection and defenders were really on him as he threw this one up for grabs off of his back foot.  That's why it was underthrown.  10:44 1st qtr

Next Pass to Charles Clay - Quick Out.  Good fast read.  Good throw.  3:44 1st.

Next Pass - hit in the face when he threw it.  DuCasse got his QB killed.  Another floater up for grabs and intercepted 1:20 1st qtr

12:45 2nd qtr another quick pass.  Ball Placement is the issue here IMO.  The CB jumped the pass from the inside.  If he places this outside the WR then it's either a completion or an incompletion, not an interception.

9:55 2nd qtr - Smash concept to the QB's left.  Good read.  Hit's Thompson underneath.

9:23 2nd qtr - RO pass, probably should have just thrown this away.  Lucky the CB went out of bounds or else probably would have been INT 5 right here.

4:00 2nd qtr - Good read to the right WR just a bad pass.

1:00 2nd qtr - Good read; great pass to Thompson

:42 2nd qtr - Good read; miscommunication with WR.  Not sure if this was on Peterman or Thompson.

Peterman threw 5 INT's and that's just not going to ever look good.  But there were some good things, some really good things.  Three of the INT's could have been avoided if he just eats the ball and takes the sack.  One could have been avoided if the FB catches the football.  The other was ball placement.  The end result never looks good no matter how one tries to fix it.  But there are some positives in there.  I think that game showed he has some maturing to do as a passer.  I wouldn't write him off yet, I would also be very nervous about him starting too LOL.

No matter who our QB is, we have serious trench problems.  Juan strikes again.  Ravens fans are smiling from cheek to cheek about our OL because they got their answer as to whether Castillo was their problem the last few years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Just watched all of his throws.  I actually like the kid.  Few takeaways.  Peterman's first two passes were on the money and great reads/passes.  The first pass out of the shotgun to Clay was a great read and quick throw.  Good placement.13:28 1st qtr.  2nd pass at 12:59 to Benjamin GREAT.  ON time; great placement.

12:01 1st qtr the descent into hell begins - this should have been caught by DiMarco.  Pass was not made from an ideal posture though.  But still hit DiMarco in his hands and thus should have been caught.

Next pass to Holmes - not a bad read.  Had 1v1.  Overthrew it to live a next down. 10:54 1st

Next Pass Underthrown for an interception - did not trust the protection and defenders were really on him as he threw this one up for grabs off of his back foot.  That's why it was underthrown.  10:44 1st qtr

Next Pass - hit in the face when he threw it.  DuCasse got his QB killed.  Another floater up for grabs and intercepted 1:20 1st qtr

12:45 2nd qtr another quick pass.  Ball Placement is the issue here IMO.  The CB jumped the pass from the inside.  If he places this outside the WR then it's either a completion or an incompletion, not an interception.

9:55 2nd qtr - Smash concept to the QB's left.  Good read.  Hit's Thompson underneath.

9:23 2nd qtr - RO pass, probably should have just thrown this away.  Lucky the CB went out of bounds or else probably would have been INT 5 right here.

:42 2nd qtr - Good read; miscommunication with WR.  Not sure if this was on Peterman or Thompson.

Peterman threw 5 INT's and that's just not going to ever look good.  But there were some good things, some really good things.  Three of the INT's could have been avoided if he just eats the ball and takes the sack.  One could have been avoided if the FB catches the football.  The other was ball placement.  The end result never looks good no matter how one tries to fix it.  But there are some positives in there.  I think that game showed he has some maturing to do as a passer.  I wouldn't write him off yet, I would also be very nervous about him starting too LOL.

No matter who our QB is, we have serious trench problems.  Juan strikes again.  Ravens fans are smiling from cheek to cheek about our OL because they got their answer as to whether Castillo was their problem the last few years.

Hilarious!!!!!!  You can't be serious?????

Such is a Bills fan......  Or is that you Coach McDermott???

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

That is some serious weapons grade turd polishing there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

I haven't seen a Bills QB throw a pass like that in a long time.

Good breakdown.   He made some bad rookie mistakes but his team didn't exactly rally around him like he was Frank Reich against the Rams on MNF.

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I haven't seen a Bills QB throw a pass like that in a long time.

Good breakdown.   He made some bad rookie mistakes but his team didn't exactly rally around him like he was Frank Reich against the Rams on MNF.

That's nuts KD. It was a very good pass. It also was with zero rush. His first look. And went twelve yards in the air. Tyrod has thrown all kinds of passes as good as that. Dozens. 

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's nuts KD. It was a very good pass. It also was with zero rush. His first look. And went twelve yards in the air. Tyrod has thrown all kinds of passes as good as that. Dozens. 

Yeah but KD is in that "anything is better than Tyrod" group.

There is a reason defenses like the Bills are built around forcing you to throw into tight windows like that in the middle of the field.........because numerous bad things can happen.  

One of them happened to Benjamin.

The WCO was designed to take advantage of lumbering LB's..........times have changed.......defenders are much quicker and more agile.

As a result the league has become very much about the vertical passing game.........and hammering the pass rush and pass coverage obsessed undersized defenses with big backs.

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Taylor wouldn't have thrown that pass.  He'd have check down to someone two yards downfield.   Come on, admit it.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah but KD is in that "anything is better than Tyrod" group.

No, I'm in the "if the Bills ever want to be a serious contender they need to find a better QB than Taylor so let's see what other options are available" group.

If you're happy being an also-ran team forever, than Taylor is fine.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

No, I'm in the "if the Bills ever want to be a serious contender they need to find a better QB than Taylor so let's see what other options are available" group.

TT isn't getting gashed on the ground and air. He also isn't responsible for a pass rush. How many QBs would survive behind this line.

1 minute ago, JM2009 said:

TT isn't getting gashed on the ground and air. He also isn't responsible for a pass rush. How many QBs would survive behind this line.

From what I saw, not many. They are worse than I even thought possible , far worse. That's why McD absolutely has to go back to Taylor.  After QB, the offseason priority has to be getting 3 O linemen. That's not even considering the putrid defensive players that need to go. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

From what I saw, not many. They are worse than I even thought possible , far worse. That's why McD absolutely has to go back to Taylor.  After QB, the offseason priority has to be getting 3 O linemen. That's not even considering the putrid defensive players that need to go. 

I think we have more needs now than ever. I'm not buying this process anymore.

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't know the answer to this, but I know one that can't!!

I felt bad for NP. He didn't belong out there.

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

You are definitely in the "don't know a thing about football and it shows" group.:lol:

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

I think we have more needs now than ever. I'm not buying this process anymore.

I felt bad for NP. He didn't belong out there.

No he didn't and it's scary that any coach on the team thought he was ready. He dealt with what Tyrod deals with every week. A crap line with ok WRs when they are actually playing. We traded, cut and let walk so much talent there's really not much left. I hope the couple of extra draft picks can fill all the hole, but there's no way that can happen. We had a top ten scoring offense. All he had to do was fix the defense. Worry about the QB in this draft or the next. We would be in the playoffs this year if they did that. No doubt about it. No one wants the 6th seed.Now we're further away than I thought we would ever be.

Wait there goes another pop fly down the middle of the field again. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

No he didn't and it's scary that any coach on the team thought he was ready. He dealt with what Tyrod deals with every week. A crap line with ok WRs when they are actually playing. We traded, cut and let walk so much talent there's really not much left. I hope the couple of extra draft picks can fill all the hole, but there's no way that can happen. We had a top ten scoring offense. All he had to do was fix the defense. Worry about the QB in this draft or the next. We would be in the playoffs this year if they did that. No doubt about it. No one wants the 6th seed.Now we're further away than I thought we would ever be.

I agree. And this bunch is in charge of all these draft picks. They fail, this drought could reach epic proportions.