Hometown players, should it effect drafting?

I was reading on another post how Tre White is playing his family's hometown team in the Saints and wondered, how much does a player's hometown effect where he goes in free agency?  Now I understand a lot of players will go for the most money and some go for the best fit of their skills but what about the hometown effect? If a player like say Khalil Mack was drafted by Buffalo, I'm assuming that's his hometown, do you think he'd be more inclined to stay when his contract is up?  If so, should this be taken into consideration more as we are drafting.  The convenience of playing right at home with your entire family to me, has to make some kind of difference.  It wouldn't have to be in Buffalo but within a certain area.  Obviously, it depends on the player but I thought it'd be something to think about.

Just now, teef said:

i think mack is from fla if i'm not mistaken.   i don't think hometowns matter too much.  it can help, but i think most of it has to do with money.

Didn't know where he was from just assumed since he went to UB.  But I agree to a certain extent but some players I believe would certainly rather play at home in front of their families.  If they can get the money out of the hometown team, I think they'd certainly at the very least listen.  But I also agree that it's a money driven league.  

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Khalil Mack is from South Florida.

So replace him with a guy like Gronk... 

Yeah, Mack is from Florida. The reason he ended up at UB is because he didn't start playing football until he was in 10th grade, I believe. UB and one other school were the only ones to offer scholarships. He chose UB and for all intents and purposes, he loved his time here. For some odd reason, when the Raiders came here a few weeks ago, he was suddenly and strangely refusing to speak a word about Buffalo or to speak with any of the Buffalo media. 

It depends on the area. If you are in a talent rich state like Louisiana (highest per capita of NFL players) than yeah it makes sense to take guys if they fit. The Saints have taken a lot of heat locally for avoiding LSU players in the draft.  If you are in Buffalo though and have a few total NFL players it makes less sense. You can sign some fringe NFL guys like Roosevelt and hope that exposure gets them a shot but shouldn’t make it a priority. The goal is good football players. With that being said I like that Anthony Johnson kid at UB (and think that he’s from Sweet Home). 

As for your question about a hometown affect, it plays a role for some players. Take Lynch for example, he always wanted to play for the Raiders, his hometown team. A lot of teams tend to spend late round draft picks or sign undrafted players from colleges near the team. That's usually just a convenience thing as the team scouts have an easier time keeping tabs on players close by. But for the most part it either comes down to money, like teef said, or opportunity. A player is going to play where he's gonna get paid (if he's an established starter) or where he feels he's going to get a real opportunity to play. Like Taylor, for example. Denver wanted him to sign there in 2015 and backup Manning with the chance to maybe compete for the starting role once Manning retired. They offered more money than Buffalo but Buffalo said, if you sign here you're instantly in the mix to be the starter. He wanted to play and compete so he signed here for less money. And since then he's redone his deal to remain the starter here even though it meant his contract was going to be a little smaller. We can say what we want about Taylor as a player but as far as being a competitor and a team-first guy, he's a Grade A example of those things.

There is money and there is money.  Money is not just what you are paid by the team, money you get after taxes, money you get in post season play, money you get in endorsements and money you actually get in your pocket book on unrealistic contracts with back loaded contracts. 

If my home team was in same neighborhood (as long as neighbors were not hoods) I'd probably take the home contract but I am someone who has been looking to move home even if I took a pay cut since I left WNY.  I have been offered "pie in they sky" contracts and turned them down for to get that money the circumstances had to be just right.  If players have a choice they may choose to a team close to home because they do not need to adjust to a new climate or can attend family events.   

If it might help retain a player or that player has a good support network in his hometown, then it’s definitely a positive.  If a player has a lot of the wrong kind of friends - ones into illegal stuff or leeches - in his hometown, then it’s a big negative. 

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I would have enjoyed the Bills drafting a certain TE that plays very well for the Pats.

He didn't fit the scheme and lacks the size we were looking for. There is simply no way Gronk was going to succeed in Buffalo as a two gap, true Nose Tackle.  Torrel Troupe was the right move. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I was reading on another post how Tre White is playing his family's hometown team in the Saints and wondered, how much does a player's hometown effect where he goes in free agency?  Now I understand a lot of players will go for the most money and some go for the best fit of their skills but what about the hometown effect? If a player like say Khalil Mack was drafted by Buffalo, I'm assuming that's his hometown, do you think he'd be more inclined to stay when his contract is up?  If so, should this be taken into consideration more as we are drafting.  The convenience of playing right at home with your entire family to me, has to make some kind of difference.  It wouldn't have to be in Buffalo but within a certain area.  Obviously, it depends on the player but I thought it'd be something to think about.

i'm guessing if your hometown team is riding a 17 year non playoff streak, you may look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

He didn't fit the scheme and lacks the size we were looking for. There is simply no way Gronk was going to succeed in Buffalo as a two gap, true Nose Tackle.  Torrel Troupe was the right move. 

Yes, because the systems of the Bills were just wonderful and had to be etched in stone.

Draft the best player out there and to hell with schemes that aren't doing diddly-squat.

Gronk was on local news every freakin week and was a no-brainer pick.

and just what have the Bills ever done with a TE since I started watching in 1973?

Absolutely nothin', sock it to me now!

Yes it should ... in the later rounds.  Taking a flier on a local kid is fantastic marketing. And with attendance and ratings dropping and fewer kids playing the game, the teams need all the feel good marketing they can get.

Edited by CodeMonkey
Grammar

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It depends on the area. If you are in a talent rich state like Louisiana (highest per capita of NFL players) than yeah it makes sense to take guys if they fit. The Saints have taken a lot of heat locally for avoiding LSU players in the draft.  If you are in Buffalo though and have a few total NFL players it makes less sense. You can sign some fringe NFL guys like Roosevelt and hope that exposure gets them a shot but shouldn’t make it a priority. The goal is good football players. With that being said I like that Anthony Johnson kid at UB (and think that he’s from Sweet Home). 

Anthony Johnson is from rock hill SC

3 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Bills should have drafted Joe Licatta from (St. Joes / UB)

Joe Licata didn't go to joes

he went to Williamsville south

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

You are correct, and I stand corrected.

Kid was a stud in WNY

he went to some of my camps back in the day that I helped run and he had a huge arm 

hes the varsity coach at timon now

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yes it should ... in the later rounds.  Taking a flier on a local kid is fantastic marketing. And with attendance and ratings dropping and fewer kids playing the game, the teams need all the feel good marketing they can get.

It's great for marketing, but unless the player fits your team or is some can't miss prospect it should be the last thing you use to make your choice.

I think its more of a factor for established players later in their careers. Lechler (yeah I know, a punter) did it after years with Oakland and Marshawn did it coming back to his home town after semi-retirement.

I think a player coming off his rookie contract is looking for the dollars first and home town second.

What did Jerry Hughes say when asked about giving the Bills a "hometown discount"? Yep, there's your answer. 

But seriously, take the best guys out there, not local guys. The best players are all from Florida or California. We'd get destroyed putting the WNY all stars out there. 

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

What did Jerry Hughes say when asked about giving the Bills a "hometown discount"? Yep, there's your answer. 

But seriously, take the best guys out there, not local guys. The best players are all from Florida or California. We'd get destroyed putting the WNY all stars out there. 

And then of course, Hughes gave the Bills a hometown discount. He didn't go to FA, signed here and surely would have made more money on open market. :D