ESPN 30 for 30: The Two Bills (Parcells and Belichick)

Parcells accomplished a lot and was great for a sound bite but for me his greatness as a coach is diminished by the fact that both his SB wins were with Belichik.

And we are all painfully aware that the opposite is not true.

I'd watch a Parcells 30 for 30, couldn't stomach it with the other guy

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Parcells will say some interesting and funny things.  Belichick is essentially Death walking the sidelines.  

Most people only hear the BB remarks when some fool asks him a stupid question like, "Are you thinking about benching Brady?" Or some other wild conspiracy like a rift with him, TB12, and Kraft. Of course he's going to give a terse answer. However, on those rare occasions when he's asked an intelligent question, he sounds just like any other coach.

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Parcells accomplished a lot and was great for a sound bite but for me his greatness as a coach is diminished by the fact that both his SB wins were with Belichik.

And we are all painfully aware that the opposite is not true.

I'd watch a Parcells 30 for 30, couldn't stomach it with the other guy

Um ... Parcells HIRED Belichick. Building a good staff is the most important job of a coach.

• 4 weeks later...

If Parcell’s has any hate in his heart it’s because Belichick is by far the better coach.

Jealousy.

If not for Belichick the Bills have a Lombardi in their trophy case and Parcell’s has one ring instead of two.

45 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If Parcell’s has any hate in his heart it’s because Belichick is by far the better coach.

Jealousy.

If not for Belichick the Bills have a Lombardi in their trophy case and Parcell’s has one ring instead of two.

Couldn't disagree more on that Lombardi. The Bills have it if they knew how to manage the clock at the end of Supe XXV. Or if Ted Marchibroda did the obvious and ran the heck out of Thurman Thomas vs that 3 man line look. Ted decided to dance with who brung him. Still, either way it had little to do with Belichick . 

9 hours ago, major said:

Saw the trailer. Not sure of air date but I can't think of two coaches I despise more. On the trailer you can tell these two hate each other. I'm sure parcels regrets giving "cheater" a coaching platform 

From what I have heard Bill P has the utmost respect for BB.   Parcels would laugh at the notion that using modern technology (a camera) instead of having some shlep use a pen and paper to write the signals down is could seriously be termed cheating.  BP would give you one of his famous "give me a break" quotes . Teams are still filming signals every single week in the NFL, just not from the field.  And the air thing was about as valid as the Easter bunny.  I look forward to this 30/30.

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Couldn't disagree more on that Lombardi. The Bills have it if they knew how to manage the clock at the end of Supe XXV. Or if Ted Marchibroda did the obvious and ran the heck out of Thurman Thomas vs that 3 man line look. Ted decided to dance with who brung him. Still, either way it had little to do with Belichick . 

I don’t mean to be disrespectful but if you believe Belichick had little to do with the outcome of SB 25, you don’t know your football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t mean to be disrespectful but if you believe Belichick had little to do with the outcome of SB 25, you don’t know your football.

Well you can believe in the mythology all you want. I have no idea if you know your football or not so I will not make assumptions to the contrary.As for the game in question,  even the late Bill Walsh stated that the Bills lost Super Bowl XXV due to poor clock management on the final drive. They also tackled horrendously , especially in the second half. The OC refused to do the obvious and take what BB defense was giving them by running the ball. The Bills scored a point per minute of posession. That's not usually a recipe for success. The Bills defense, bad clock management and a miracle play by the Giants QB to not fumble when sacked in the end zone had a far greater impact on the outcome of that game than anything Bill Belichick did. What exactly did BB do besides give a 3 man line look to the offense that would be easily foiled by running the ball? I suppose you could say Marchibroda had a bigger impact by not doing the obvious. Even Parcells immediately afterward stated " power football wins" in reference to the Giants ground game that ate up the clock ( and kept the potent Bills offense on the sideline). The poor tackling was a huge detriment. Either way, anything BB did in that game was minimal since the game plan revolved around controlling the clock and keeping the Bills offense off the field. The Giants offense held the ball for some 39 minutes. That's not Belichicks side of the ball. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well you can believe in the mythology all you want. I have no idea if you know your football or not so I will not make assumptions to the contrary.As for the game in question,  even the late Bill Walsh stated that the Bills lost Super Bowl XXV due to poor clock management on the final drive. They also tackled horrendously , especially in the second half. The OC refused to do the obvious and take what BB defense was giving them by running the ball. The Bills scored a point per minute of posession. That's not usually a recipe for success. The Bills defense, bad clock management and a miracle play by the Giants QB to not fumble when sacked in the end zone had a far greater impact on the outcome of that game than anything Bill Belichick did. What exactly did BB do besides give a 3 man line look to the offense that would be easily foiled by running the ball? I suppose you could say Marchibroda had a bigger impact by not doing the obvious. Even Parcells immediately afterward stated " power football wins" in reference to the Giants ground game that ate up the clock ( and kept the potent Bills offense on the sideline). The poor tackling was a huge detriment. Either way, anything BB did in that game was minimal since the game plan revolved around controlling the clock and keeping the Bills offense off the field. The Giants offense held the ball for some 39 minutes. That's not Belichicks side of the ball. 

Well the game plan is in the HoF with BB signature on jt. Someone thought it was important.

Anyway read Education of a Coach. Theres an entire chapter on that game.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:48 PM, estro613 said:

This video really touched me & Parcells is a fantastic storyteller.

Well it's a little dusty in my office this morning. I really need to get after the cleaning crew about that. Thanks for sharing that.

On 12/3/2017 at 10:12 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Jealousy.

No he's not. Parcells did phenomenally wherever he went, and in every instance he took over horrible teams (a 2-14 Pats team, Dallas teams that had gone 5-11 three years in a row, a 1-15 Miami team, and a moribund Giants franchise early on). Moreover, building a staff is the most important job of a coach. He is the guy who hired Belichick (3 times!) and Coughlin, and he's also the guy who revivified the career of a down-and-out Sean Payton in Dallas. Payton ulitmately became asst head coach and then went immediately to NO with Parcells' strong advocacy.

Edited by dave mcbride

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 12:18 PM, dave mcbride said:

No he's not. Parcells did phenomenally wherever he went, and in every instance he took over horrible teams (a 2-14 Pats team, Dallas teams that had gone 5-11 three years in a row, a 1-15 Miami team, and a moribund Giants franchise early on). Moreover, building a staff is the most important job of a coach. He is the guy who hired Belichick (3 times!) and Coughlin, and he's also the guy who revivified the career of a down-and-out Sean Payton in Dallas. Payton ulitmately became asst head coach and then went immediately to NO with Parcells' strong advocacy.

highest respect for Parcells taking on dire projects and making them work.

his speech to the Jets on his first day on the job is priceless, about how they have done nothing to earn any boasting about playing for an NFL team and how most of them are out of a job soon anyways....

3 hours ago, horned dogs said:

"It also told me that the league office was not as pure as I might have thought," This is my favorite part. He must have decided right then and there he was going to be on the inside!

That is exactly when I read that Kraft quote. He realized that the league was corruptible and started systematic and widespread cheating.  

The conversation between Belichick and Parcells, sometimes tense and always fascinating, is at the center of the next 30 for 30 offering for ESPN Films. Directed by Rodgers and filled with terrific behind-the-scenes NFL Films footage, “The Two Bills” is a sensational 90-minute exploration of the highs and lows of the relationship between mentor (Parcells) and mentee (Belichick). Rodgers said he believes it is their first on-camera interview together since 1991 and all of the subjects you would want explored get the treatment, from the pair’s Super Bowl success with the Giants, to the fractured relationship following Belichick resigning from the head coaching job of the Jets in 2000 to him ultimately landing the New England coaching job. Asked early in the film if he considered Parcells an enemy, Bellichick pauses and says, “competitor.” The film airs Feb. 1 at 9:00 p.m. ET. The running time is 77 minutes and will be a 90-minute presentation with limited commercials.