Woods, watkins TDs

Foreigner

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Their offense is sophisticated though. He may not have Goff go through several progressions, that is what he is talking about. He makes his decision before the snap most of the time. But they have all kinds of formations and movement and exotic plays and playcalls. It's the opposite of a simple offense. He just doesn't put much on Goff's plate. he just says run the play and throw it to the guy they are not watching. Plus, the offense is a lot different the way they run it now from four-five games ago. They seem to do a lot more. It was incredible yesterday.

FWIW I am not trying to knock their offense at all.  Nor Goff.  Would love to have that offense here.

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. Goff looks underneath and usually goes there with the ball because it's open. He takes a few deep shots to Watkins but has missed on many of them. He missed one earlier in the Giants game but went back to it and hit the TD. Production is a two way street. Forcing the ball to Watkins because they traded for him would be a solution in search of a problem. The Rams are apparently fine with Watkins current role in the offense, and why wouldn't they be? 

I would suspect a more even numbers distribution between Rams receivers if Sammy was as open as some think.  It wouldn't be forcing him the ball if he was open that much.

He's not open every play, obviously. He's drawing much of the coverage on clear out routes. Goff definitely overlooks him or just doesn't go toward the better coverage guys. By " forcing" I mean skipping an open guy earlier in the progression. Goff isn't a savvy vet a la Roethlisberger , who will see one on one coverage and just take a shot. Goff clearly doesn't have that kind of feel with Watkins yet, as shown by his preference to look for Kupp most of the time. Bottom line what you think ( or I for that matter) means jack squat to the Rams. If they felt a dire need to get the ball more often to Sammy they would make it happen. One look at McVays reaction after Sammys TD says it all. They know what he's being asked to do in the scheme and everything is working so why change it? 

I'm not the hugest Watkins fan, but I note that on Woods's 33-yd TD  Sammy totally murdered the CB lined up opposite him (knocked him on his *ss)  then got downfield and got just enough of the safety to wreck his balance and let Woods sprint past.  Gotta give him props for that. 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He's not open every play, obviously. He's drawing much of the coverage on clear out routes. Goff definitely overlooks him or just doesn't go toward the better coverage guys. By " forcing" I mean skipping an open guy earlier in the progression. Goff isn't a savvy vet a la Roethlisberger , who will see one on one coverage and just take a shot. Goff clearly doesn't have that kind of feel with Watkins yet, as shown by his preference to look for Kupp most of the time. Bottom line what you think ( or I for that matter) means jack squat to the Rams. If they felt a dire need to get the ball more often to Sammy they would make it happen. One look at McVays reaction after Sammys TD says it all. They know what he's being asked to do in the scheme and everything is working so why change it? 

There isn't any reason to change it.  I think the point is... is Watkins worth having at a high dollar contract as just a decoy or 1 to 2 target a game guy?  I don't think so.

Honestly if Watkins had to miss any time, I don't think their offense would miss a beat.

Edited by Scott7975

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

There isn't any reason to change it.  I think the point is... is Watkins worth having at a high dollar contract as just a decoy or 1 to 2 target a game guy?  I don't think so.

Honestly if Watkins had to miss any time, I don't think their offense would miss a beat.

I've watched a number of their games and I think it would make a significant difference.........without Watkins there is no reason to not compress the defense on the short to intermediate routes and that allows the front 7 to do more damage against their run game and pressure Goff.

They might not need a Sammy Watkins caliber player to keep the safeties back but they would still need a very good deep threat.....which they otherwise do not have.    Woods and Goff would be fish out of water running the routes Sammy runs.

My guess is that the Rams will let Sammy go in the offseason and be all over Martavis Bryant or Josh Gordon..........Rams have significant salary cap issues.......they are up against it as it is..... and because of the drug related low market value on big time talents like Bryant and Gordon it would be easier to replace Watkins than a guy like Aaron Donald who also needs to get paid.

7 hours ago, teef said:

his injuries are still part of the problem.  i don't care why he has a lack of targets or a lack of production.  it's on sammy.  he's even been arguably been put into a better situation this year, and he still can't get it done.  i think he has it in him to be great, but at some point he needs to own this.

Then talk about his injuries as a factor in deciding to trade him! :doh:   Don't claim that he's "inconsistent" which indicates that a WR doesn't play the position well and is unreliable.

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Watkins is a quality WR with talent. If one watches the Rams games, they will see he gets open and Goff rarely looks his way. He could be used more, but the Rams have lots of weapons. Sammy was never going to be worth two first rounders unless he was Jerry Rice. The only reason it is still a topic is that the Bills have yet to establish a consistent and effective passing attack. If that was happening, no one including myself ( as a Watkins fan) would be thinking about it any more. It's the NFL and players come and go. The Bills don't have an offensive lineup similar to the Rams, so it's impossible to look at whatever is happening in LA as what would happen if SW was in Buffalo. We will see what happens with the addition of Benjamin  and the return of Clay. 

Good post.  My concern about getting rid of Woods and Watkins stems from the fact that the Bills left themselves with no viable WR who can stretch the field.  That may come back and bite them in the arse yet even this season, although so far they haven't suffered too badly.  

I think Benjamin is a good addition but he's not the kind of WR who terrifies DBs.  Neither is Zay Jones.   The Bills might make the playoffs this season without a downfield burner but if they continue to develop and hope for more than just making the playoffs, they're going to have add a WR good enough to break games open.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The “new guy” bit is a bit old now. Watkins is a vet. He’s been there now for like 12 weeks. I would expect his production to be much better for a true “no. 1 WR.”

This sounds like all the gleeful pot shots that so many Bills fans took at Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch during their initial seasons after they were traded to Philly and Seattle respectively.   Both players were overpaid, spoiled scrubs "who didn't want to be here" and the Bills FO was filled with bonafide personnel geniuses for getting rid of them according to so many Bills fans.  Well, fast forward 7 or 8 years and both are going to be HOFers ... and they won't be going in as Bills thanks to those geniuses in the Bills FO. 

It's a tad early to judge the outcome of the Watkins trade ... just as it's unlikely that Benjamin is going to play as well this year as he's likely to play next year for the Bills (assuming they sign him) after he's had OTAs, minicamp, and TC.

Edited by SoTier

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This sounds like all the gleeful pot shots that so many Bills fans took at Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch during their initial seasons after they were traded to Philly and Seattle respectively.   Both players were overpaid, spoiled scrubs "who didn't want to be here" and the Bills FO was filled with bonafide personnel geniuses for getting rid of them according to so many Bills fans.  Well, fast forward 7 or 8 years and both are going to be HOFers ... and they won't be going in as Bills thanks to those geniuses in the Bills FO. 

It's a tad early to judge the outcome of the Watkins trade ... just as it's unlikely that Benjamin is going to play as well this year as he's likely to play next year for the Bills (assuming they sign him) after he's had OTAs, minicamp, and TC.

Premature victory laps.:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can't look at catches without looking at targets. Watkins is still the " new guy" and had zero practice time with Goff before August. Yes, SW was traded for as a #1. You still have to look at what the Rams are asking him to do within the offense. Watch the Rams games and decide if he's getting open or not. 

Fantastic post ??

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If you were the coach of the Rams, and traded for Sammy Watkins - and he was drawing coverage all over the field - which he is - and if you say he is not you are lying - and your team was moving up and down the field at will almost every game - and putting up 30-50 points - and had one of the league's best offenses - would you tell your QB to target our #1 guy more or do what we have been doing. Their offense is sick. There is no reason to force him the ball.

You’re right— I wouldn’t tell Goff to just target watkins more. But I also wouldn’t re-sign watkins. It’s a total misallocation of resources to pay a WR “WR 1 $” if he is catching 1 ball let game and just being used to draw coverage away from other guys.

11 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can't look at catches without looking at targets. Watkins is still the " new guy" and had zero practice time with Goff before August. Yes, SW was traded for as a #1. You still have to look at what the Rams are asking him to do within the offense. Watch the Rams games and decide if he's getting open or not. 

Yes great post and someone who has watched the Rams.  

They have lost two games this year and generally mirror the Bills in that they play well with the lead and great blowing teams out and not asking much of Goff.  When the game gets tight it will be interesting to watch how they react (lousy vs. Seattle and a loss to Washington).  

In terms of catches & targets Watkins is 121 in the league and that is criminal.

If you trade a second round pick and a solid corner for a number 1 receiver, you'd expect him to be more productive and not be the decoy in an offense.  I understand he can make that offense better by drawing coverage but how much do you pay a decoy these days?  I am not sure.  If I am trading for a wideout, I'd rather bring in a guy that will be more productive.  Do we really think he's happy there?  He's a wide receiver who's clamored for his targets and hasn't gotten them.  To me, they made a dumb move trading for him and not targeting him more.  However you want to slice it, Sammy hasn't put up the Julio Jones type production.  Isn't that what we traded two first round picks for?  If the Rams traded for him just to play him as a decoy, he's not resigning there and they traded some hefty assets for having a player 1 year.  JMO.  I'm not saying Sammy is terrible, he's a gifted player but his production compared to what teams have traded to acquire him, is less than encouraging.  Fact is, Sammy is not needed in that offense, just a player with speed that can stretch the field.  

Edited by Buffalo30

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

No one argues the talent,just the price.

Your looking at 22m+ in 2 Wrs not very cap friendly.

agreed.  i certainly can't speak for everyone, but i don't ever think it was a question of talent or ability.  i think sammy can put up monster numbers somewhere, but the trick is him finding that home.  i just don't think the bills would ever have been that place.  because there's been some early success, i think we forget that this staff has made decisions for the future.  to get a second round pick for the guy may really help in the long run.  this team isn't even close to being a final product yet.  

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Isn't it interesting how so many apologist Bills fans can overlook drastic improvements made by other teams when they deal them their star players?

That offense is just smoking the opposition.........they made the imposing Jags look kinda' helpless on their own turf a couple weeks ago...........but yeah I am sure they are lamenting trading for Watkins.

Meanwhile Bills receiving corps thru first 1/3 of the season was as bad as the NFL has seen in 20 years.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Isn't it interesting how so many apologist Bills fans can overlook drastic improvements made by other teams when they deal them their star players?

That offense is just smoking the opposition.........they made the imposing Jags look kinda' helpless on their own turf a couple weeks ago...........but yeah I am sure they are lamenting trading for Watkins.

Meanwhile Bills receiving corps thru first 1/3 of the season was as bad as the NFL has seen in 20 years.

A big part of that is coaching though. They run great plays and McVay calls a good game and puts players in positions to succeed. 

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't wait for the bills to trade a second round pick for a decoy.  I can hardly contain myself. 

Edited by teef

On 11/5/2017 at 2:18 PM, Foreigner said:

If you watch the roundup shows tonight you will see the Rams Robert Woods 53 yard receiving TD, and Sammy Watkins

67 yard receiving TD and the first half is not over yet.

I guess with talent, the cream always rises to the top:(  

Wow. Against the Giants. I'm SO impressed!!

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would bet they are privately lamenting the trade for Sammy. A 2nd round pick for his production for one season isn’t remotely worth it. And yes I believe he will not be there past this season. It worked out for them anyways with Kupp and Woods becoming a great duo, but it was a waste of a pick. Sammy is the 5th most impactful player on their offense at best, and that’s not including anyone on the offensive line.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I would bet they are privately lamenting the trade for Sammy. A 2nd round pick for his production for one season isn’t remotely worth it. And yes I believe he will not be there past this season. It worked out for them anyways with Kupp and Woods becoming a great duo, but it was a waste of a pick. Sammy is the 5th most impactful player on their offense at best, and that’s not including anyone on the offensive line.

I would bet anything they love the trade and McVay knows without question that he's a big part of them being able to do what they are doing. They have the best offense in the league. There is no way he laments the trade even if they don't re-sign him. They're going to the playoffs in all likelihood.

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And how much of that is on sammy?

Not much.

How much of that is on Gurley?

A metric !@#$ton.

My victory lap continues unabated.

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would bet anything they love the trade and McVay knows without question that he's a big part of them being able to do what they are doing. They have the best offense in the league. There is no way he laments the trade even if they don't re-sign him. They're going to the playoffs in all likelihood.

Making the playoffs doesn’t mean the trade was a success. 19 receptions for 331 yards and 3 TDs through half the season. That is embarrassingly low production for a player they traded a 2nd round pick for in a contract year. They won’t be able to pay him what he can get on the open market.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And you really think this is in a large part due to Sammy presence?  

1 hour ago, teef said:

And you really think this is in a large part due to Sammy presence?  

I have watched every play of every game. Their offense has a lot of weapons. He draws a lot of coverage. A lot of times they just split him out wide alone on one side and then bunch everyone else up on the other. The defense almost invariably has a CB right on him and a S to that side or motions to that affect. Goff gets the play and decides usually beforehand where he is going to look. At the guy that is going to be a matchup problem. It's not like he goes through a bunch of progressions. Woods, Kupp and either of the two TEs often just run free in the middle of the field. I guarantee that McVay thinks he's a huge part of their offense.

On the Woods 3-34 TD they did that. Split Sammy wide no one else on that side of the field. Two guys played him straight up. On the other side they threw a WR screen to Woods. There werent enough guys to tackle him. Then Sammy blocked the safety, too, as Woods came by. He directly had a huge influence on that score.

On his TD they didnt bring the S over, or at least he was facing away from Sammy not covering him. He had one guy to beat. Beat him bad and was wide open for the long score.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

On 11/5/2017 at 2:25 PM, todd said:

So what is the point? The Bills should have kept Woods and Watkins? I'd love to hear a logical, well-reasoned argument for that one!

Obviously because we need updates on every ex-Bill who makes a play in the NFL for another team.  

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I have watched every play of every game. Their offense has a lot of weapons. He draws a lot of coverage. A lot of times they just split him out wide alone on one side and then bunch everyone else up on the other. The defense almost invariably has a CB right on him and a S to that side or motions to that affect. Goff gets the play and decides usually beforehand where he is going to look. At the guy that is going to be a matchup problem. It's not like he goes through a bunch of progressions. Woods, Kupp and either of the two TEs often just run free in the middle of the field. I guarantee that McVay thinks he's a huge part of their offense.

On the Woods 3-34 TD they did that. Split Sammy wide no one else on that side of the field. Two guys played him straight up. On the other side they threw a WR screen to Woods. There werent enough guys to tackle him. Then Sammy blocked the safety, too, as Woods came by. He directly had a huge influence on that score.

On his TD they didnt bring the S over, or at least he was facing away from Sammy not covering him. He had one guy to beat. Beat him bad and was wide open for the long score.

Actually he draws the opposing teams #1 cover with usually help.  Goff doesn't even look his direction, however he impacts the play.  31 targets is pathetic and ranked 121 in the league and he's been healthy.  

The Rams are succeeding with a QB much worse then TT, but an OC who knows what he's doing.  Watkins will be fine, just unfortunate to see Goff unable to utilize him.....

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

i'm sure you have, and i'm sure you have a much better understanding on the rams offense, but i think people are trying to hard to plump up sammy's importance to that team.  i agree that with having him on the field helps, but as others have mentioned, it's just not worth the 2nd pick and a player for a guy that's probably going to be a one year rental.  if sammy is so important, do you think the rams production is going to fall off the side of the earth next year if he leaves?  i certainly don't, although i could be wrong.

if the bills made a similar move and traded a for a guy who has so little production, some of the same posters who are praising la would be destroying the bills.  some people were so bent out of shape by the watkins trade, that no matter how bad it works out, they'll find a way to defend it.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually he draws the opposing teams #1 cover with usually help.  Goff doesn't even look his direction, however he impacts the play.  31 targets is pathetic and ranked 121 in the league and he's been healthy.  

The Rams are succeeding with a QB much worse then TT, but an OC who knows what he's doing.  Watkins will be fine, just unfortunate to see Goff unable to utilize him.....

in what world is goff a much worse qb than tt?  this is my point...some posters are trying far too hard to defend this trade for la. 

5 hours ago, teef said:

in what world is goff a much worse qb than tt?  this is my point...some posters are trying far too hard to defend this trade for la. 

Much worse?   No.

TT better than Goff?  Probably.

If you watch Goff, he is not as accurate a passer as Taylor.........doesn't have a very good deep ball(though the throw to Sammy was perfect Sunday) and of course he doesn't bring much to the table athletically.

They've really propped him up with good coaching.......but even moreso by investing in talent on offense...........the same could be said of Wentz but I think Wentz is more gifted.

It's something I've long promoted and the Bills have rarely done for their QB's.

Rather than make your QB prove himself before you put talent around him.........put talent around him FIRST.

Bills did something similar in 2015 and the early returns on the first year starter Taylor and the Bills offense were tremendous.   Taylor was on an incredible completion % pace and the O was  scoring big and with chunk plays.

Then a number of injuries happened and he never really had all of his weapons back together healthy until the end of 2016.

Take the stars away from Goff and he's in trouble too..........he's more of a cog in that machine than he is the primary piece.

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Much worse?   No.

If you watch Goff, he is not as accurate a passer as Taylor.........doesn't have a very good deep ball(though the throw to Sammy was perfect Sunday) and of course he doesn't bring much to the table athletically.

They've really propped him up with good coaching.......but even moreso by investing in talent on offense...........the same could be said of Wentz but I think Wentz is more gifted.

It's something I've long promoted and the Bills have rarely done for their QB's.

Rather than make your QB prove himself before you put talent around him.........put talent around him FIRST.

Bills did something similar in 2015 and the early returns on the first year starter Taylor and the Bills offense were tremendous.   Taylor was on an incredible completion % pace and the O was  scoring big and with chunk plays.

Then a number of injuries happened and he never really had all of his weapons back together healthy until the end of 2016.

Take the stars away from Goff and he's in trouble too..........he's more of a cog in that machine than he is the primary piece.

Yes bang on.....  He really is succeeding thanks to very good coaching an innovative offense and good weapons.

How anyone in there right mind doesn't look and see that Kupp has way more targets then Watkins and not see a problem is just trying to further their anti-watkins stance.

BTW the bomb to Watkins was a great catch as he turned on the jets to get to the ball......

27 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes bang on.....  He really is succeeding thanks to very good coaching an innovative offense and good weapons.

How anyone in there right mind doesn't look and see that Kupp has way more targets then Watkins and not see a problem is just trying to further their anti-watkins stance.

BTW the bomb to Watkins was a great catch as he turned on the jets to get to the ball......

You're right....the Rams offense is a problem.  Let's not focus on them leading the league in points, lets focus on them not giving Watkins enough targets.

Is it really that hard to give Goff credit?

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Much worse?   No.

I would say Goff is a much more accurate passer than Taylor....much more.

Goff is in his 2nd year and Taylor is in his 7th.  Goff is having a great year now, coming off of a really bad rookie season so there's not enough of a sample size to determine who is better.  However Goff's strength is accuracy.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're right....the Rams offense is a problem.  Let's not focus on them leading the league in points, lets focus on them not giving Watkins enough targets.

Is it really that hard to give Goff credit?

I would say Goff is a much more accurate passer than Taylor....much more.

Goff is in his 2nd year and Taylor is in his 7th.  Goff is having a great year now, coming off of a really bad rookie season so there's not enough of a sample size to determine who is better.  However Goff's strength is accuracy.

You aren't watching...... His accuracy is actually not great.  He's missed Watkins on many of those 31 targets (along with other receivers).  He doesn't have a great feel for the pockets or his reads and he's successful thinks to great playcalling.  Will he get better, hopefully (if you're a fan), but right now he is just okay and the coaching and pieces around him very good.

TT is a better QB.  On Buffalo Goff would be a disaster.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You aren't watching...... His accuracy is actually not great.  He's missed Watkins on many of those 31 targets (along with other receivers).  He doesn't have a great feel for the pockets or his reads and he's successful thinks to great playcalling.  Will he get better, hopefully (if you're a fan), but right now he is just okay and the coaching and pieces around him very good.

Totally agree on the bold. He would get absolutely abused on the Bills. At least at this point in his career on this Bills team.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

These are the same struggles that Taylor has had.  Pocket awareness, missing WR's, accuracy suspect....

Goff's sample size isn't large enough right now to make a determination but when you're the starting QB of a team that's averaging 33 points per game....you're doing a lot of things right.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Goff finally reached a 60% completion rate on the season with a strong showing in his last game.........despite playing with all that receiving talent and the high powered offense.

He has been heavily propped up to date..........but if the play calling is great and the playmakers stay healthy there is not necessarily an end in sight.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

These are the same struggles that Taylor has had.  Pocket awareness, missing WR's, accuracy suspect....

Goff's sample size isn't large enough right now to make a determination but when you're the starting QB of a team that's averaging 33 points per game....you're doing a lot of things right.

I mean, that was Tyrod the first month of the 2015 season.......no?

Propped up by playmakers.........everyone healthy.

Except Tyrod was completing over 70% of his passes every week.

Since then it's either been injured receivers and tight ends or just a general disinterest in putting talent around him like this past offseason.